steve_at_work.png
steve_has_spirit.png
1400204038278 (resized).jpg
IMG_4372 (resized).JPG
IMG_4371 (resized).JPG
night rider (resized).JPG
IMG_20161001_175935100 (resized).jpg
20160512_172144 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cliffy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Brothers and sisters, our system 80 guru and dear friend had just been diagnosed with leukemia and needs all the prayers and positive energy we can all muster. Those of us who know him at the local level know what a horse the man is so this was incredibly stunning news, especially to him. His spirits are good and he's putting as good a face on it as he can. He's undergoing treatment right now so very weak and, frankly, bored laying there not being able to fix things. I asked if he was ok with letting his beloved pinball community know and he said he was ok with it.

I'll do what I can to update how he's responding to treatment.

Only good thoughts, prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve CARGPB #1 aka Blownfuse.

edit: I need to add the early diagnosis was leukemia but later determined to be hodgkins lymphoma. This is beatable and by golly we're going to help Steve do just that.

Cliffy

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Cliffy, not sure about our current status...?
-Number Four

Remember the first letter Cody? Our number is forever

Luv, #2

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Cliffy- can we get info on where to send cards?

I'm hoping Steve in Escalon chimes in with the room number as I believe he was there today. He's at the california pacific med center which is part of UCSF med.

1 week later
#81 7 years ago

UPDATE 7-23-2016

Steve asked if I would post an update and also to tell all of you how grateful he is for the thoughts, prayers and especially the cards and letters. He sounded a lot better today on the phone but I can tell he's being tough through it all. The great news is he has responded well to the first rounds of chemo so he's coming home for a week before going back for further treatment.

He's touched by all the love to the point he could barely get the words out. He was so impressed to see all his legitimate CARGPB brothers and sisters band together that he wanted me to make special thanks for that. I'd also like to thank those who personally visited him at the hospital and made time to read the letters, emails and cards to him. We are blessed with some very caring people in this hobby and I never want to take that for granted. God bless all of you and, Steve, come on home, amigo

Cliffy- CARGPB2

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It is for a club started on Rec Games Pinball, to provide recognition to those helping others in the name of pinball. People could nominate you and the governing board would decide on it.
Cheap Ass Rec Games Pinball Bastard. He is #27.
LTG : )
Disclaimer : Proud member R.O.o.t.P.G.

And Lloyd is too humble to mention it but he has an honorary CARGPB number waiting anytime he so chooses.... and has for MANY years

1 month later
#116 7 years ago

Talked to Steve day before yesterday and he still has the fighting spirit. Round 3 was very hard on him though and he asked me to post this update as he's just too weak right now. He went down a list of those who came to visit him and heck, he almost had me in tears just knowing how many people care about him. Of course I, along with so many others, ask if theres anything at all we can do to make things more comfortable but all he could suggest was we keep in touch with him. He's gotta be absolutely sick of daytime television by now Keep the love AND the humor coming ladies and gents. We'll get him through this. It's a team effort!

1 month later
#169 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

You are in our thoughts and prayers my longtime friend.
Brad

Brad, you and Christian have done the Lord's work. I called to Steve to let him know you posted the vid but he saw it within minutes of posting and let me tell you, he is encouraged beyond words- thats what he kept saying- he had no words to express the emotions he was feeling. I hope he doesn't mind me saying you guys brought him to tears and he was obviously choked up. Hearing and seeing friends he's always known and some he hasn't met yet just made him feel blessed and loved. I expect he'll chime in the next day or two but right now he's in a hospital bed going through round 5 and there's now a disconnect between hand and brain so hard for him to type anything. Blessings to all who have shown their encouragement, support and prayers for our buddy Steve.

1 month later
#198 7 years ago

Happy Birthday Steve! I hope you're surrounded this week with family and friends showing nothing but love. All the best my brother

2 months later
#267 7 years ago

Friends, brothers, sisters-
Our brother Steve has taken a sudden turn for the worse and I come again begging prayers for him and his beautiful family.
Wednesday night, 1/25, his speech became slurred and he seemed to not know where he was. It seemed like stroke symptoms so he was rushed to the hospital. CAT scans showed a mass on his brain instead. He had surgery to remove the mass which was on the outer brain. Other smaller lesions were noted on the membrane suggesting cancer. However the biopsy results will take another day or so and that why I'm praying and asking again for all the positive energy and prayers from all of you that this too can be stopped. He was just declared cancer free from the bone marrow tests barely a month ago so we know he's a fighter. Let's lift him up again, please.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

Cliffy - Please convey to him:
Hang in there... You've got this!

I have and in fact Steve called me last night. He's in good spirits and DETERMINED to beat this once and for all. He told me his wish is to get free of this and somehow give the love back to all of you who are giving so much to him. He sounds normal, if a bit tired of course. Whatever comes of the biopsy results he's ready to dig in and fight. He said he's humbled and grateful to have so many friends propping him up and knows he's not alone. On a technical note the mass was completely removed on the right side. The left side is trickier to get to but he's confident the doc will have a plan and the doc is one of, if not the, best in his field. At the end of the call I felt more encouraged. Steve is just that way- he's a brother who cares that WE don't give up and get discouraged. Thanks to all of you and keep the good vibes and prayers coming for Steve!

1 month later
#313 7 years ago

I'm saddened that I have to report our brother Steve Charland passed away this morning. Every time i talked with him he was positive and told me he was fighting hard. He wanted everyone to know how much he LOVED this community. His impact on people in so many hobbies- coin-op, fishing, car restoration, so many things he was involved in that will feel the loss of such a giving and caring man. He was a wonderful father and grandfather and dedicated husband to Cathy whom he called his rock. Fare well, my brother. Al Garber will be there to greet you in pinball heaven.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cliffy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speedy-recovery-mr-charland?tu=cliffy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.