steve_at_work.png
steve_has_spirit.png
1400204038278 (resized).jpg
IMG_4372 (resized).JPG
IMG_4371 (resized).JPG
night rider (resized).JPG
IMG_20161001_175935100 (resized).jpg
20160512_172144 (resized).jpg

There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 7 years ago

Brothers and sisters, our system 80 guru and dear friend had just been diagnosed with leukemia and needs all the prayers and positive energy we can all muster. Those of us who know him at the local level know what a horse the man is so this was incredibly stunning news, especially to him. His spirits are good and he's putting as good a face on it as he can. He's undergoing treatment right now so very weak and, frankly, bored laying there not being able to fix things. I asked if he was ok with letting his beloved pinball community know and he said he was ok with it.

I'll do what I can to update how he's responding to treatment.

Only good thoughts, prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve CARGPB #1 aka Blownfuse.

edit: I need to add the early diagnosis was leukemia but later determined to be hodgkins lymphoma. This is beatable and by golly we're going to help Steve do just that.

Cliffy

#2 7 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you Steve.

#3 7 years ago

Shit! Get better soon man, such an asset to the hobby.

#4 7 years ago

If anyone has the Spirit and strength to kick leukemia's ass it's this guy. Can't be harder than lifting a house. Best wishes!

#5 7 years ago

Cliffy, thank you for posting. My thoughts and prayers are with Steve and his family. I'm so grateful to call you my friend. Wishing you a speedy recovery, I know how much you hate hospitals. I hope you are home with your family soon!
Joe

#6 7 years ago

Wow. Best of luck man, kick its ASS!

#7 7 years ago

We love you buddy, everyone's sending their prayers and good energy to help you heal.
-mof

#8 7 years ago

Just devastated by this news, but Steve is a tough old buzzard so I know he will pull through.

Steve was one of the first friends I made in the hobby. At my second PAGG I didn't know that many people but from talking to Steve on here I made it a point to meet him. He brought his amazing Mars God of war that year. The stories that man knows and tells are to be treasured. The pinball knowledge he has makes him a treasure. He came over to help me fix a surf champ and told me he could do it in three minutes if he didn't bother explaining how to me. He is a truly a guru and innovator. Did anyone see his LED imbedded legs on Punk at PAGG this year? Did you know he has been converting a Gottlieb Spider-Man to EM?

I wouldn't have an appreciation for classic games like Spirit, Counterforce, and pink panther if it weren't for him. He has brought games to shows most of us would never play if it weren't for his efforts.

Anyway, you're going to get better. Positive thoughts and good vibes coming your way. If you're up for visitors let me know, but I don't know if they will let me drag a machine into your room

Cliffy- can we get info on where to send cards?

#9 7 years ago

Steve, stay strong. have faith. you can beat this. here is a little group pic to remind you how many people here consider you family.

DSCN0228_(resized).JPGDSCN0228_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Steve,

if you can keep a Gottlieb Sys 80 alive, I guess the least we can do is the same for you!

Cliffy, not sure about our current status...?

-Number Four

#11 7 years ago

Thinking good thoughts!!!

#12 7 years ago

Wishing you positive thoughts.

Shlockdoc

#13 7 years ago

Wishing you good thoughts steve!

#14 7 years ago

I'll be rooting for your recovery, Steve. Hang in there, and hopefully you'll be back doing what you love in no time.

#15 7 years ago

Steve... be strong, we're rooting for ya!

#16 7 years ago

Steve, thinking about you! Speedy recovery, Buddy!

Cliffy, let us know if there's anything we can do.

#17 7 years ago

Steve,
I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis but I am quite positive if anyone is able to beat the sh!t out of this thing it's you. The most positive thoughts are coming from me in your direction and you better kick it's ass because we have set aside your usual space for your games at next year's PaGG. Which reminds me if there is anyone who comes to the show who brings a handful of incredible well-working games consistently year after year after year that comes close to your generous sharing of games with those who attend, I don't know their name. And who by the way is always not far from the phone or screen when someone has a tech question...you seem to always be there to lend a hand.
Kick it's butt, buddy. We can't do this without you. Much respect to you and the most positive thoughts coming your way.

Brad

#18 7 years ago

We have alot of great pinheads in our area Steve still stands out amongst the rest of us. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. May you be blessed with extra strength and courage through your time of need. We are all pulling for you.
Harley D.

#19 7 years ago

Get well fast and reach out for anything you need - you've been there at some time or another for so many of us - Harvey

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Cliffy, not sure about our current status...?
-Number Four

Remember the first letter Cody? Our number is forever

Luv, #2

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Cliffy- can we get info on where to send cards?

I'm hoping Steve in Escalon chimes in with the room number as I believe he was there today. He's at the california pacific med center which is part of UCSF med.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I'm hoping Steve in Escalon chimes in with the room number as I believe he was there today. He's at the california pacific med center which is part of UCSF med.

Good place to be. My good friend works there. I will have to ask if she's currently working in an area he may be.

Thanks for starting the thread cliffy and keep us all posted. Thank Steve in Escalon as well

#23 7 years ago

With gracious empathy, I hope he recovers quickly.
His contributions to the hobby are vast and incalculable.
Stay strong, "Mr. System 80".

#24 7 years ago

It was a pleasure visiting Steve today. He's one of the nicest guys on the planet. Steve has a great attitude, but is bored. Keep your thoughts and prayers going his way.
I'll post an address tomorrow if you want to send a card or letter.

#25 7 years ago

No! I'll be praying for you buddyou. Good luck and godspeed. Here's to an easy and quick recovery.

#26 7 years ago

Hang in there Steve!

#27 7 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mr. Charland!

#28 7 years ago

Get well soon CARGPB #1!!!!

The mods need to make this thread a sticky!

#29 7 years ago

You'll be better soon enough Steve, stay strong and positive throughout. You'll be in my prayers.

#30 7 years ago

My prayers are with you Steve: System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#31 7 years ago

Thoughts and prayers are with you Steve. Get well soon! It was great meeting you at PAGG this year and talking pinball and all about your LED work. Love your LED's in the legs and Leg BOLTS!

#32 7 years ago

CPMC Pacific Campus
2333 Buchanan Street
San Francisco, CA. 94115

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

CPMC Pacific Campus
2333 Buchanan Street
San Francisco, CA. 94115

Thanks Steve! Does he want phone calls?

#35 7 years ago

Prayers and well wishes are coming your way in truck loads my friend! You are truely one of my favorite friends in pinball. I am not gonna lie I am bawling right now! Love you Steve get well please!!

#36 7 years ago

Very sorry to hear this, but my prayers are with Steve!

Get better please!

#37 7 years ago

In case any of you missed Cliffys edit of the first post- early diagnosis thought Steve had lukemia, but the new diagnosis is Hodgkin's lymphoma- this is incredibly good news as the recovery rate is much higher! You got this Steve we are all pulling for you!!

#38 7 years ago

Prayers coming your way from west Sonoma county. The Pinball gods are with you. Get well friend

#39 7 years ago

I just left the hospital. Steve is in good spirits and asked me to thank all of you for the well wishes. If you have time to stop by and visit him please do.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

I just left the hospital. Steve is in good spirits and asked me to thank all of you for the well wishes. If you have time to stop by and visit him please do.

Great to hear!

#41 7 years ago

Steve, although we have never met face to face we go WAY back, BEAT THIS!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you fellow CARGPB member/creator.

Steve
CARGPB#37

#42 7 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear this, Cliffy. My hopes and prayers go out to Steve! We're there for support, to be at his side the whole way!

#43 7 years ago

In my thoughts and prayers Steve !

LTG : )

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

In case any of you missed Cliffys edit of the first post- early diagnosis thought Steve had lukemia, but the new diagnosis is Hodgkin's lymphoma- this is incredibly good news as the recovery rate is much higher! You got this Steve we are all pulling for you!!

That's good news on the diagnosis. A friend of mine had that & after treatment she's been healthy. Good luck Steve you're one of the coolest guys I've met in the hobby.

#45 7 years ago

Wishing you a quick and speedy recovery Steve!

#46 7 years ago

Hodgkins limp homer? Sounds like a pu$$y. No match for #1.

#47 7 years ago

Wishing a speedy recovery to one of the biggest contributors to pinball around!

#48 7 years ago

Kick its Punk a$$, Steve! We've got other Punks to discuss! And let me know if you need anything from SoCal or if there's any way we can help!

#49 7 years ago

Bump for a great guy! Love this pic that Art took.

27194408155_58e391ce78_k_(resized).jpg27194408155_58e391ce78_k_(resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago

Great pic. Hope you're back in top playing (and directing) form soon Steve!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speedy-recovery-mr-charland and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.