(Topic ID: 237499)

SPEED RACER Conversion (formerly Triple Action)

By Uncle_Nudge

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

psd.jpg
psc.jpg
psb.jpg
psa.jpg
#1 5 years ago

A number of years ago I obtained a Williams Triple Action (1973) in poor shape... no backglass, non-working. After getting it all going, I really liked the play of this machine! I hated the original theme, so changed the pop caps for starters. I figured someday I would make an attempt at a re-theme, so obtained a few art supplies I thought might work.

Basically what I did is hand draw then color with Molotow pens and Adirondack inks, then coat with white and blacked out after that. One pic shows my progress on backglass (work is drawn on back). Next pic is testing the backglass and you can see my blank Lexan plastics on the playfield.

I changed up some of the artwork on playfield (may do more later). Those that know Triple Action will notice some differences. I put the letters like on Speed's steering wheel on the spinner... it actually looks pretty darn cool when it spins! Also the white "single" has Racer X's number, then "2" for double, and triple light has Speed's number. I included the other characters on the plastics.

Haven't got to the cabinet art yet, but will in the near future. Figure all put the "M" on the side of backbox, and either profile of side or front of Mach 5.

While there's things I'd do different, I'm pretty happy with the results so far!! Thanks for taking a look

psa.jpgpsa.jpgpsb.jpgpsb.jpgpsc.jpgpsc.jpgpsd.jpgpsd.jpg
#2 5 years ago

Very cool! Nice work.

#3 5 years ago

Sweet!
Go speed racer, go!

#4 5 years ago

Awesome! Nice work. Used to run in the house
from playing outside so I wouldn't miss an episode
way back in the day

1 year later
#5 3 years ago

Uncle_Nudge ever consider parting with it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speed-racer-conversion-formerly-triple-action?hl=badamack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.