You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Nice to see one other person is a fan.

Anyone else out there?

#2 4 years ago

Yes, I like it very much.

#3 4 years ago

I like the game. It takes a while to get familiar with when the balls will pop out of the side saucers and the general quirkyness of the game, but after a while you get in a groove and get whats going on. I honestly detested playing the game in league for a while until it grew on me.

-c

#5 4 years ago

I had to watch a utube video on the rules. Then I enjoyed it a lot. She's up on eBay now. Time to move on

#6 4 years ago

How old are all of you?

I was born in 1978. The game reminds me so much of early 80's technology. The vocals reminds of Colecovision.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How old are all of you?
I was born in 1978. The game reminds me so much of early 80's technology. The vocals reminds of Colecovision.

I was born in 1970, and regularly played the game Mastermind. If you understand that game, this pin makes sense. I love it if nothing for the art alone. It is a masterpiece IMHO.

I enjoy the game play as well.

Chris

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How old are all of you?

I was born around the same time so many of the sound effects from early 80's games remind me of video games from my youth since I just wasn't into pinball then. Shame on me.

#9 4 years ago

I got my first Spectrum in 2001 I think it was, got it for FREE in a bulk deal for everything pinball that the guy had. Long story short my jaw about dropped to the floor when I seen it since I knew the story behind it from watching Herb Silvers California Extreme VHS tape so many times. LOL.
It had been in storage for the previous five years in a lean to shelter just inside from the outside elements....hard to believe it actually worked when I got it home. I searched for like 12 years for a NOS playfield, or even one I could have Kruzman touch up and clear but no luck. Then this past Expo I was talking to someone that I was selling a game to and he said he was gonna have one for sale soon with a HSA restored playfield, NOS glass, Alltek boards and new plastics. I said, "how much for the package like it sits" (figured the sooner I get it all into my hands the better) and he shot me a price and I said SOLD !! Only had to drive eight hours there and eight hours back in a blizzard to get it....but we'll worth it. Time to upgrade. Sold my original game off to another Spectrum lover here in Michigan and the rest is history.....except I still need to do the playfield/plastics/shop job on this game but when its done it will be a thing of beauty. This one will never leave, unless the sound board doesn't get fixed and returned....ahhh......hopefully someday that will happen too. It all just takes time but rare and unique games like Spectrum deserve much more then a passing by. If you get the chance to spend some quality time on one you'll be doing yourself a favor. Trust me.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I was born around the same time so many of the sound effects from early 80's games remind me of video games from my youth since I just wasn't into pinball then. Shame on me.

I think this is one of the reasons I like the early 80's Williams pins so much. You play them and hear Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc.

Chris

#11 4 years ago

I loved mine and had it for years. Sorry to see it go but was making room. If it wasn't for the space factor it never would have left. The art is great and the sounds and speech always took me back to the early 80s hanging out in an arcade. At least I know where my old one is and that it is being well taken care of.

#12 4 years ago

Spectrum is a great game. Pinball escapism at its best. Mine isn't going anywhere soon.

#13 4 years ago

I loved it at first sight when I got to play it this year. Gameplay is quirky indeed but different and a beautiful art package.

#15 4 years ago

I have such a small collection, but want a Spectrum bad.
Beautiful game.
Go Lions !

#16 4 years ago

I remember Pong, then Colecovision. That football was the best !

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I have such a small collection, but want a Spectrum bad.
Beautiful game.
Go Lions !

ebay.com link

#19 4 years ago

See attached avatar. I really like this game. It adds a level of complexity and skill.

#20 4 years ago

I want to pick one up someday, I really like the artwork on this one.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Nice to see one other person is a fan.

Guess I am that other person!

Spectrum is a great game, with one flaw: scoring rules that go against the spirit of the game.
One star is worth 100,000 points (and only at the end of the game) while your bonus may be much larger than that (you can register up to up to 11 guesses, and score 5k per wrong guess, 10k per correct guess, times bonus multiplier). Up to 9 of these guesses can be correct, meaning your bonus can reach (9x10k +2x5k) x4 = 400,000 points. That is an extreme case, but scoring 200,000 bonus points after each of your 3 balls is not unusual.

So it is actually risky and counterproductive to break the secret code, which resets all lights: if you lose the ball right after that, you can lose a lot of points...

To change that, a talented friend of mine changed the ruleset: each star now scores 300,000 points.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I got my first Spectrum in 2001 I think it was, got it for FREE in a bulk deal for everything pinball that the guy had. Long story short my jaw about dropped to the floor when I seen it since I knew the story behind it from watching Herb Silvers California Extreme VHS tape so many times. LOL.
It had been in storage for the previous five years in a lean to shelter just inside from the outside elements....hard to believe it actually worked when I got it home. I searched for like 12 years for a NOS playfield, or even one I could have Kruzman touch up and clear but no luck. Then this past Expo I was talking to someone that I was selling a game to and he said he was gonna have one for sale soon with a HSA restored playfield, NOS glass, Alltek boards and new plastics. I said, "how much for the package like it sits" (figured the sooner I get it all into my hands the better) and he shot me a price and I said SOLD !! Only had to drive eight hours there and eight hours back in a blizzard to get it....but we'll worth it. Time to upgrade. Sold my original game off to another Spectrum lover here in Michigan and the rest is history.....except I still need to do the playfield/plastics/shop job on this game but when its done it will be a thing of beauty. This one will never leave, unless the sound board doesn't get fixed and returned....ahhh......hopefully someday that will happen too. It all just takes time but rare and unique games like Spectrum deserve much more then a passing by. If you get the chance to spend some quality time on one you'll be doing yourself a favor. Trust me.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

I'm the aforementioned Spectrum lover from above. I played my first one at Expo a few years back and had to have one, but they are hard to come by here in MI. I have shined this one up a bit and it is running like a champ. I am actually going to take it to the Pinball Pyramid Event/Show here at the Pyramid Scheme Bar in Grand Rapids, MI, for everyone to play and enjoy. No, it is not for sale.

Come down and play!
Mb

#23 4 years ago

I just sold mine and hated to do so. I love the game as it is unique from any other pinball machine. When I am in a better situation I may pick one up again!

#24 4 years ago

I dropped the reserve on my spectrum on eBay. First bid takes it home

#25 4 years ago

I try one at allentown this year and have enough time to learn the rules.... really like it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Electronics
TheDudeMods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside