(Topic ID: 259163)

Specific speaker problem; good sound without it, bad when connected

By Lhyrgoif

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2_1 (resized).jpg
    1_1 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

First of all, I've searched the forums and get lots of hits for sound/speaker problems but I couldn't find any topic that described my problem, thus another one.

Anyway, I recently bought a Scared Stiff and am in the process of taking it apart for cleaning, plastic replacement and so on. While working in the backbox I noticed that the larger speaker (to the left) were disconnected as the cables were detached and insulated with electric tape. I've loosened the speaker and looked at it, it seems OK what I can see, no broken cone and such. Reattached the speaker and soldered the cables back to the two lugs (lugs were broken off so I guessed that was the reason the cables were taped and not attached). Turned on pin and immediately there is a lot of loud humming, buzzing and all sound sounds muffled. The smaller right speaker sounds crap and also the large base speaker in the cabinet bottom have distorted sound.

As the sound were OK before connecting the left speaker I turned the game off, unsoldered the left speaker connections and tried again and now everything sounds normal again. As the speaker lugs were broken off I wasn't sure of the correct cable polarity, so I then tried and soldered both cables in the opposite position and switched game on, same problem with strange sound and buzzing from the other speakers.

Currently I have unconnected the left speaker again, unsure of what to do. I can live with the sound produced by two speakers, but the perfectionist in me doesn't want to give up on this as it really annoys me. Both speakers in the backbox have a grounding cord connected (going to the same grounding point in the backbox bottom. I've also verified with a multimeter that the speaker chassis have connection to the ground braids in both backbox and cabinet.

Both speakers are marked 4 Ohm, no idea if that's correct.

The smaller right speaker that seems ok have a capacitor in serial that this larger speaker doesn't have, am I missing that component?

Both backbox and cabinet speakers have their cables going a couple of loops around/through a "ferrite core/cord noice suppressor" before connecting to the sound board.

Any suggestions what to do?

Edit: I just measured the speakers; the smaller right one was 4.0 Ohm so it matches the marking but the left (problematic) speaker was only 0.5 Ohm. It seems like the larger speaker is almost shorted inside? Would that explain the strange sound and noise?

TLDR; Two speakers sounds good when third is not connected. When left backbox speaker connected (no matter polarity of cables) all three speakers sound muffled and buzzing.
    1_1 (resized).jpg1_1 (resized).jpg2_1 (resized).jpg2_1 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I ordered a brand New speaker and now it sounds good again, apparently those few ohms are important

#3 4 years ago

Your DMM measures the DC resistance of a speaker. When a speaker reads “4 Ohms”, that’s the impedance. Very few DMM measure impedance. It’s totally different. Speakers are so cheap now, if in doubt, change it out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/specific-speaker-problem-good-sound-without-it-bad-when-connected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.