Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 181 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    dirty-hair.jpg
    photo.JPG
    photo-1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

Sam actually doesn't make it to many shows anymore. His health is a little challenged, and I know he was just devastated at how he was treated during and after the filming of SWL. That's a man who gave his whole life to the hobby; his collection of games and detailed notes, dirty jokes, and pin stories is truly a treasure trove. All the "real" pinheads just see the belly, what a shame.

How was he treated? I think the film accurately showed him as he is: A man stuck in the past who is completely happy with himself & his hobby. I've met him and seen him at shows. There's no trick editing here to "make him look bad"...look - the dude is an odd guy. That's just a fact....but the movie does not make fun of him. It merely shows a man who got attached to an older era, hit the breaks, and stayed there.

Oh, and his belly is like 4x the size now. I wish his real friends would teach him how to eat healthy - he could probably cure many of his ailments & get back to shows and pin fun!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

They made him put the shirt on, for starters.

I saw him at PPE...he was bigger and was wearing a small shirt with his gut fat dangling down to his knees. He was practically eating the entire buffet. How did they make him put that shirt on? I've seen him wear that shirt at Belsito parties!

I dunno man, I see 100% accuracy in that movie

#44 10 years ago

I had to look this up. For a second I'm like...uh..."Quit F*cking Talking"?

Quoted for Truth....thanks Keef!

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I've never met Sam, but everyone I know that does knows him speaks very highly of him. Bagging on him here is friggin lame. What good comes from bagging on anyone within the hobby?
    The movie was not a documentary. They edited to sell their movie, not to accurately portray the hobby. They also manipulated things behind the scenes to shape the movie they way they wanted it to turn out. I've heard this firsthand from people (friends) who appeared in the movie. In no way should this movie be described as an accurate portrayal of the hobby.

I find it fascinating that so many are so butthurt over this movie. What wasn't accurately portrayed? It showed the history of pinball. It showed designers & programmers and their take on things. It showed collectors - and yes, some of us are f*cking weird....but it showed plenty of "normal" collectors...which starts to show that pinball isn't dead but thriving in private collections. It all led up to showing the tournament scene - which showed that pinball isn't just about the private collections but a vibrant competitive community.

I've met MUCH stranger and controversial people in this hobby....everyone shown in this movie is portrayed as likeable and sweet natured, even if they are naturally eccentric.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The whole movie. It was billed as a documentary. Featured on the Documentary Channel. Yet the producers manipulated and edited the filming to sell their movie. That ain't a documentary in my book. I get that documentaries are typically slightly spun in one direction or another. This one obviously played up the wrong side too much. They were trying to sell the movie, not accurately portray the hobby.

You're not giving me facts, you're giving me an emotional response. Give me some facts about how it was manipulated. Everyone in the movie are real people...doing the real things that they do....really collecting...really playing. Sam Harvey, Koi Morris, Lyman Sheats, Steve Ritchie, Roger Sharp, Rick Stetta, etc....are REAL people, not some Borat style creations.

What is manipulated and not accurate? I know when documentaries are editing for a point of view or to manipulate the viewer. This isn't politics, it's pinball. This movie shows pinballs history, creators, collectors, and players. What is faked or not portrayed accurately?

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from CarShark:

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that liked Special When Lit. I agree that they did a lot, possibly too much, but I think that there's a lot to cover when talking about pinball. They talked to many collectors and pro players, but also designers and executives behind the scenes. The one thing that seemed to be most consistent was everyone's passion for pinball. Despite the general negative narrative, the whole thing very upbeat to me, which made it very watchable.
    I guess I don't see what was wrong with Sam Harvey's interview. I understand that he probably wasn't the most sophisticated choice for ambassador of the hobby, but he was genuine and he was personable.
    The only problem with it is that even though it was only 4 years old, it felt dated. It came out in 2009, so that means that the last three machines before that came out were CSI, NBA and 24. Now, we have X-Men, Metallica and WOZ. That's quite a difference.

Amazing the difference a few years have made...it really did feel like the end of pinball ...the end of the arcade...the end of something that defined many of our childhoods. It almost seems like the movie needs an updated ending, talking about the recent pinball boom.

1 week later
    #140 10 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Seriously, if I were trying to make a doc, I would not have filmed people who appeared 'messy' and in locations that were distracting. It just came off as 'making fun' of someone who has some good information to share. There was no need to show his exposed belly in an ill fitting shirt. That has nothing to do with pinball.

So - you would have cleaned up Sam's house and bought him a tux? Do you know what a documentary is? The purpose is to capture reality. They succeeded.

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I think it's pretty obvious that SWL is an attempted hit piece on the hobby.

*sigh* ...This movie has shown how extremely thin the skin is of people in this hobby. A hit piece!? It's a love letter to pinball! The movie is a celebration of the world of pinball...the history, the artists & designers, the collectors & enthusiasts, and the tournament players. The movie portrays the passion of all of these people! How on earth is it a hit piece!? Cuz Sam has a small shirt!??!

#154 10 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Television is rarely real. Editing and simple effects can imply a host of things. Good example: "reality tv shows".
    I have no issue with this person's appearance/home. I'm the last person to ever say someone should be something they are not. My only issue is that what is shown in the documentary is so distracting, viewers forget about the topic: Pinball and instead focus on..well..everything else.
    I was just saying I would have done everything possible (within reason) to keep the viewers focused on pinball. The filmmaker did the opposite and I can't help but to wonder why?

Sam's a pinball collector. Part of the film focuses on pinball collectors. Pinball collectors = pinball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-when-lit-watched-last-night?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.