Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 181 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    dirty-hair.jpg
    photo.JPG
    photo-1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The whole movie. It was billed as a documentary. Featured on the Documentary Channel. Yet the producers manipulated and edited the filming to sell their movie. That ain't a documentary in my book. I get that documentaries are typically slightly spun in one direction or another. This one obviously played up the wrong side too much. They were trying to sell the movie, not accurately portray the hobby.

Honestly, welcome to the world of the documentary.

The success of King of Kong did in many ways bring this one out. But King of Kong was almost entirely a fabrication. If you've seen it, know this - Billy Mitchell was not actually the record holder at the time. During the filming of the movie, he actually came and played a game publicly at the 2004 Midwest Gaming Classic (according to the movie, which he never does) and he set the "Public World Record" on it because the private one was actually owned by Weibe the whole time. But, if you hear Walter Day talk about that movie, he says that he appreciated what it did by highlighting competitive gaming so that people knew it existed, and it found a way to tell a good story.

That's the problem with Special When Lit. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it there to make fun of the people or celebrate them? Who knows! The world championship happens in Pittsburgh? But no one knows! HA! But it looks so interesting, let's feature that!

In the end, it's a collection of oddly strung together short stories about people in the pinball hobby. Nothing more, nothing less. And not entertaining.

Tilt is a great documentary because you can tell that they set out to tell the story of pinball closing and were only swayed by the people who they did interviews with. I suggest that one to everyone.

If you're looking for a shorter but really nice documentary, check out Star Worlds: Pocket Full Of Quarters and I'm Headed to the Arcade. It's short (about 30 minutes) but encapsulates an amazing little old-school arcade that is not just kicking but thriving in DeKalb, Illinois. I've known them for years because of the Midwest Gaming Classic, and it really helps to explain just how into it they are. Great guys.

If you're interested in either one of those two docs (Star Worlds / Tilt), PM me as I have a bunch from the MGC sitting around waiting for next MGC to sell

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-when-lit-watched-last-night?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.