Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

netflix does something right!

#2 12 years ago

I sold my Netflix stock on the way up and felt like an idiot. It's now WAY lower than where I got out. Pretty nuts!

#3 12 years ago

cool! I will watch it in my galaxy tab tonight!

#4 12 years ago

I never used mine so I canceled it.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

netflix does something right!

Cool!! Thanks for the heads up and planning on watching.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for posting that. I have been wanting to watch it and finally did. What an excellent documentary.

Quoted from gweempose:

You and 799,999 other people ...

+1 for making me laugh

#8 12 years ago

It's also available on Hulu for non netflix people.

#9 12 years ago

Thanx read that went to bed laid there for some time. Watching it now!

#10 12 years ago

The name is: Special When Lit: A Pinball Documentary

When I read this thread it lead me to think this was a show about Netflix and their recent changes.

#11 12 years ago

It was on my top ten recommended thingy when it came to streaming.

Strange since I haven't listed any pinball in my likes on there. I did watch Convoy which has a pinball machine in it. I recently watched Steele Justice and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.. Cabinet = Arcade + Steel = Pinball?

I just don't understand their algorithm.

#12 12 years ago

Thanks!

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

It was on my top ten recommended thingy when it came to streaming.

Strange since I haven't listed any pinball in my likes on there. I did watch Convoy which has a pinball machine in it. I recently watched Steele Justice and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.. Cabinet = Arcade + Steel = Pinball?

I just don't understand their algorithm.

They're probably using other means to gather information on you. Havn't you ever noticed that if you look at certain shopping sites, the items from those sites will follow you around for days or weeks?

For example, look at, oh, graphics cards on tigerdirect (using that example, because I know their site does this). For the next week, almost every site you go to will have ads for graphics cards. Companies are working very hard at figuring out what you're interested in so that they can better sell adverts to you and recommend products to you. Though in the case of being stalked by graphics cards, it's just funny, the implications are kinda creepy.

#14 12 years ago

Also on netflix there is a tv show called "how its made" which has an episode where they show the making of a LOTR pinball machine. Its only 1/3rd of a half hour episode but worth checking out. I think its like episode 2 of season 4 but don't quote me on that.

#15 12 years ago

Finally its on streaming.

Netflix has one of the best recommendation algorithms out there.

They have a standand offer to pay anyone a prize if they come up with a better one

#16 12 years ago

Great movie i saw black hole alot in the movie. Its a must watch. Now TILT needs to get on there.

#17 12 years ago

Watched this last night. Was a LOT of this movie tongue in cheek or am I just a jerk? I laughed through a LOT of this movie. First the guy talking about wanting to rock and roll all night and party every day while the camera slowly fades to disolve with him playing his Kiss machine alone in a dimly lit basement, then the hoarder with the shirt that doesn't fit and you're staring at his stomach the entire time he's talking, then Pingeek's deep reflections on the state of the world which then tangents into something about the air quality, on to Koi.. etc

Finally near the end it kind of seemed to get back on the serious track with PAPA, tournament play and then Broadway Arcade.

I think the best part was the description of POTC game play: "You shoot this, then that, then this ramp and lock here then do this and that and then up this ramp and finally you get this... <silence for a few seconds and then in a deadpan monotone> I find that very satisfying."

It was a good movie.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

Was a LOT of this movie tongue in cheek or am I just a jerk?

I watched it yesterday morning and....yeah.....

They definitely made it a point to hit both ends of the spectrum but loved getting their jabs in to make pinball people on both ends sound *off*.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

then the hoarder with the shirt that doesn't fit and you're staring at his stomach the entire time he's talking, then Pingeek's deep reflections on the state of the world which then tangents into something about the air quality, on to Koi.. etc

I couldn't quit staring at it either. How did he even think that was close to fitting? My favorite was Pingeek's friend. The black guy with the stache.

#20 12 years ago

I liked pingeeks quote about changing the world and then the pan to him eating a McRib out of the back of his hatchback.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

I liked pingeeks quote about changing the world and then the pan to him eating a McRib out of the back of his hatchback.

Yep, that's just cruel editing.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

I also loved that scene. The one that really got me was PHOF guy saying that he loves pinball because it can not be replicated. There is virtual pinball and I was going that route when I thought, if you are going to do it, go all out.

#23 12 years ago

Yeah I agree, some parts were definitaly making fun...like when they are showing the audience at pinball expo during pingeeks presentations...basically sleeping while he is saying how great his vids are.

Even if it is making fun of it - its justified. We shouldn't take this so serious that we deny there are some aspects of this hobby that are just completely nuts.

Love the movie too.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from thokennedy:

Even if it is making fun of it - its justified. We shouldn't take this so serious that we deny there are some aspects of this hobby that are just completely nuts.

Having just spent three days at Expo, I have to concur that there are plenty of people in this hobby that are questionable in the sanity department.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I couldn't quit staring at it either. How did he even think that was close to fitting? My favorite was Pingeek's friend. The black guy with the stache.

That's Koi Morris. Quite a character. I think he runs or co-runs the Jersey Pinball League.

Yeah, I thought SPL went a bit overboard with the poking fun side of pinball. It should have been balanced with a few "cool" people. I think only Steve Epstein really got decent treatment.

I have to watch it again, but I think they actually edited down the poking fun aspect by the time it got to Hulu. I originally saw it when it was still on the festival circuit about a year earlier and when I rewatched it on Hulu, it seemed toned down a bit.

2 weeks later
    #26 12 years ago

I thought it was interesting but not that good. A really well done documentary has to have compelling characters and somewhat of a story. This just seemed to be really random and jumped around with no rhyme or reason. A really well done documentary would be King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. That blew this out of the water. Another excellent documentary on instant stream about a fridge sport is Pulling John.. about arm wrestling. The Russian in it is a freak of nature!

The only person that I really thought they went overboard with was the dude with the house full of old machines who was in the candy-cane polo. You'd think the filmmaker would have the courtesy to tell him his gut was hanging out most of the interview.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I thought it was interesting but not that good. A really well done documentary has to have compelling characters and somewhat of a story. This just seemed to be really random and jumped around with no rhyme or reason. A really well done documentary would be King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. That blew this out of the water. Another excellent documentary on instant stream about a fridge sport is Pulling John.. about arm wrestling. The Russian in it is a freak of nature!

The only person that I really thought they went overboard with was the dude with the house full of old machines who was in the candy-cane polo. You'd think the filmmaker would have the courtesy to tell him his gut was hanging out most of the interview.

Agree with all the above. Some people think a documentary is you point the camera at stuff and whatever happens, happens. A documentary still tells a story or makes a point, but SWL doesn't do a good job in that regard. The "is pinball dying" story feels very tacked on, probably when they realized all they had was a series of interviews and slice-of-life moments.

As for Sam Harvey, well, he's a character. His gut is sticking out just about wherever he goes!

#28 12 years ago

I'm obsessed with the (what some may say) nerdy, African-American guy with the big glasses that shows up at all the events. And the big fella with a shirt that's too small. Lots of fun 'characters' in that movie.

#29 12 years ago

Just watched it the other day. Thought it was really good.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'm obsessed with the (what some may say) nerdy, African-American guy with the big glasses that shows up at all the events.

That guy was awesome! But I dont believe he was a chemist like he said lol

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

then the hoarder with the shirt that doesn't fit and you're staring at his stomach the entire time he's talking,

Worse than his stomach, is the line of grease from his hair all the way across the curtains behind the sofa.

Once you see that, you can't look away.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Worse than his stomach, is the line of grease from his hair all the way across the curtains behind the sofa.

Haha... awesome. Now I have to watch again.

He has an obsessive compulsive nature about him. Keeping logs about all the owners of machines... on paper no less. Wow.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-when-lit-on-netflix-streaming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.