Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1AD80E07-C528-48C2-A905-75C06731265D (resized).jpeg
    b4d216cba95155bd87dd4ffae9ab234da03d990e (resized).jpg
    a771632c7d19d5dd9e0473533f8ea03e5663e7da (resized).jpg
    54143F58-842B-49ED-8D56-3E9D61A51B0D (resized).jpeg
    D78BBFEA-A3AD-428E-8790-BF29FFE61DBB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0900 (resized).JPG
    top (resized).png
    SolSaver_Sys11late (resized).jpg
    SolSaver_Sys11early (resized).jpg
    SolSaver_Sys9 (resized).jpg
    sneak peak top (resized).png
    20161207225146738 (resized).jpg
    1.0x0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2341 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5401 (resized).jpg
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Hey Pinside

I came up with a special solenoid saver fuse board to help protect Williams system 3 to 7 driver boards. In these Williams games the special solenoids are directly controlled by a PF switch. If this switch gets stuck or if the circuit fails in some way, the solenoid will lock on and potentially burn the driver board and solenoid coil before the 2.5A SB fuse on the power board pops. The SSS board have an individual fuse (1.25A SB) for each of the six special solenoid circuits. If the solenoid locks on for about a half second, the fuse will blow which is well before any logic chips or driver transistors are going to be damaged.

I am offering the SSS in three ways.
    1- Full kit, all parts included for you to assemble and mount the board ($15).
    2- Assembled PCB and mounting hardware, but female connector parts comes not assembled($20).
    3- Assembled board with mounting hardware, and assembled connector ($25).

Installation guide is on my website in the Repair and conversion kit section.

Use my website or message me here if you would like to purchase
    http://nvram.weebly.com

Here are some pictures.
    20161105_124817 (resized).jpg20161105_124817 (resized).jpg
    20161105_125521 (resized).jpg20161105_125521 (resized).jpg

Here is a video of the delay for a fuse to blow.

#2 7 years ago

Great Idea. It will save a lot of headaches.

#3 7 years ago

I don't see a easy way to change quantity to 3 on PayPal. I will take 3 full kits. PM sent.

Thanks

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I don't see a easy way to change quantity to 3 on PayPal. I will take 3 full kits. PM sent.
    Thanks

I do not have a shopping cart system in place on my website (yet?). For multiple quantities send me a message here or through the contact form on the website and I will send a paypal invoice with combined shipping.

Thank you
    Andrew

#5 7 years ago

Working with some local guys for a bulk order. We're at 14 of these so far.

#6 7 years ago

Holy smokes guys. I got cleaned out of the kits way faster than expected. I just ordered a bunch more parts for the kits. They should come this week. Still have about 10 assembled PCBs

#7 7 years ago

From someone that bought 6 of them... They are great and easy to assemble. I will buy more in the future!

2 weeks later
    #9 7 years ago

Bought one today! Bought the NvRam last Saturday. I am sure that what other designs that you come up with, I will be buying!

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

DIY kits are back in stock.

Can't this be made to work on system 11s too?

#11 7 years ago

barakandl -- What about system 9s? I am repairing a blown Tip102, 2n4401 on Sorcerer as we speak. This shouldn't be!
    -mof

#12 7 years ago

Yeah, add me to the Sys9 inquiry as well. If the game were in front of me I'd try to confirm if your adapter could work. If it does I'll take two of them instead of just one!

My daughter loves to solder and these kits would be great for her to contribute toward pin-teching. Great stocking-stuffer price too!

#13 7 years ago

System 9 would work since the connector is pinned the same.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Can anyone look to see if there is a convenient place in a system 9 game to mount the fuse board?

#14 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure there's space in there, at least on Space Shuttle, on the left side of the BB. I had an LEDOCD installed for a while with no issues, IIRC... I *might* have moved it below the MPU. I'll take a look and confirm at home tonight.

#15 7 years ago

Sorry if it's too dark to see, but I think there's enough room to fit your fuse board in there on the left wall near the board connector... wiring might get a little snug but it should work. Or, with some longer harnesses there's plenty of room below the board. Let me know if you need better info. Put me down for two of them and PM me the payment info... thanks Andrew!

Sys9 (resized).jpgSys9 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

I got my kits yesterday and put together some pics of the build.

The build was pretty simple. It was complicated by my looking at a picture of a driver board and not an actual. In pics it looks like the top pin on 2J12 is pin 1. Looking at an actual driver board shows that the marking is actually pin 9 and 1 is marked on the other end of the header.

The kit came packaged in an anti-static bag and contained all the parts:IMG_5395 (resized).jpgIMG_5395 (resized).jpg

Here's an exploded view of the parts:IMG_5396 (resized).jpgIMG_5396 (resized).jpg

Assembly is 12 fuse clips and 2 headers. I inserted the fuse into the clips prior to placing in the through holes. This kept the clips aligned. I did Top F6 and Bottom F3 first to keep the pcb level, then gravity will keep the pcb pressed flat on the other clips as you solder them.

The header pins align with the lock to the right with the board text correctly oriented. I did both at the same time to allow gravity to hold the pcb for me. This matches the position of the holder on 2J12 on the driver board for reference. I soldered all but the key pin # 5 and then pulled the key pin out. The headers are labeled 2J12A and 2J12B.

The harness was where the confusion was for me. The harness is a 1 to 1 pass-through. Pins 1 & 2 are the flipper enables and are not fuse protected. But if the harness is not wired right you will route the flipper enable through the fuses and SS5 & 6 will pass through. This is the least of your worries as all of the specials will be wired to the incorrect transistor and weirdness will happen.

I made a couple of labels for the 9 pin connector housings. This cleared it up for me and I wired the harness 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc... skipping pin 5IMG_5400 (resized).jpgIMG_5400 (resized).jpg

Total elapsed time for the first board was about 15 minutes including time for pics and labels. Experienced builders can do the whole thing in less than 10 minutes.IMG_5401 (resized).jpgIMG_5401 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Can these be used with rottondog boards, or are they even needed?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Can these be used with rottondog boards, or are they even needed?

Yes, and yes they are needed. The Rottendog special solenoids work the same as the original and will lock on and blow the 2.5A SB fuse.

#19 7 years ago

There's no reason they shouldn't work just fine with System 11 and also Data East machines, as the special solenoid connectors were the same in those generations as well.

#20 7 years ago

Here's mine. Built all 3 and installed 1 on firepower that's not ready yet. Took about 1 1/2 hours but I'm an anal bastard when it comes to that stuff. Uh oh, that one connector is a little more clear. I may have to change that.

IMG_2341 (resized).JPGIMG_2341 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2328 (resized).JPGIMG_2328 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago

Thanks Cheddar. That was this information that I needed when I got to the point of making the harness.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Here's mine. Built all 3 and installed 1 on firepower that's not ready yet. Took about 1 1/2 hours but I'm an anal bastard when it comes to that stuff. Uh oh, that one connector is a little more clear. I may have to change that.

From reading some of your other posts and seeing your level of detail I'm surprised you didn't find wires that matched the colours on the original connector rather than just using the green wire that Andrew supplied!

#23 7 years ago

green is my favorite color

i looked at getting the proper wire colors, too expensive. I labeled things really well on the silk screen of the fuse card. Should be easier to identify things over the stock setup if a manual is not handy.

#24 7 years ago

Had some buddies over last night and several of them bought these boards with me in a bulk buy. They were impressed with the details on the board. Having the transistor number printed under the fuse is a real life saver.

Now that we know this will work on Sys 11 I see another large order coming up

#25 7 years ago

This is probably extra valuable for sys9 games since those MPU boards are $$$$

#26 7 years ago

Reading this thread now for the first time..... i should have grabbed a few of these from Cheddar last night
    Put me down for two now or on the next group buy

#27 7 years ago

On the System 11 compatibility / necessity, question was asked over at RGP @ https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.pinball/pEQYggXXYYQ/3nZ3PoVnAgAJ & basically only the earlier System 11 machines would benefit.. later games had cpu controlled special solenoids which wouldn't be able to lock on. See below quotes from the RGP thread for more info.

"On Sys11B games and later this isn't necessary since the special solenoids are not controlled by dedicated playfield switches. Earlier games you would have issues with placement and wiring, especially the Sys11 games and where the special solenoid connector is located on those machines. -viperrwk"

"Now that I think about it Williams didn't institute this until Cyclone. You know this because there is no harness connector on the CPU board at 1J18 on Cyclone. So if your machine does not have a harness connector on 1J18 then you don't have switch controlled special solenoids. While Andrew's board is nice to have (heck Gottlieb fused individual solenoids in Sys3 machines) it isn't protecting you from a shorted special solenoid playfield switch on those machines. -viperrwk"

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

green is my favorite color
    i looked at getting the proper wire colors, too expensive. I labeled things really well on the silk screen of the fuse card. Should be easier to identify things over the stock setup if a manual is not handy.

What gauge is that wire Andrew? I have a bunch of old PCs sitting around and they have provided me with a ton of multi-coloured wire that I have used when doing repairs. I'm assuming a heavier gauge won't cause any problems.

Thanks!

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzorbas:

What gauge is that wire Andrew? I have a bunch of old PCs sitting around and they have provided me with a ton of multi-coloured wire that I have used when doing repairs. I'm assuming a heavier gauge won't cause any problems.
    Thanks!

UL1007 - 22 gauge (7XTC)

I get it from Wire and Supply
    http://www.wireandsupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=UL1007-22G

#31 7 years ago

Looks like they have a 1000ft minimum order for a spool.

#32 7 years ago

Any stranded wire that is 22g or larger and sized to fit your crimp contacts will be fine.

Snip out the wiring harness from any washer/dryer/analog TV/computer power supply/dishwasher/printer, and it will give you a rainbow of usable colors.

You probably have 4 ATX power supplies in your closet right now; ready for that mystery computer repair that never happens.

1.0x0 (resized).jpg1.0x0 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

Thanks Cheddar. That was this information that I needed when I got to the point of making the harness.

I wanted to mention that when I assembled mine, I just soldered the wires directly to the cable side like this:

saver PCB[directly soldered wires here]----->driver board connector

I could not think of a reason to ever remove that side of the connector and it saved me some assembly time.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I wanted to mention that when I assembled mine, I just soldered the wires directly to the cable side like this:
    saver PCB[directly soldered wires here]----->driver board connector
    I could not think of a reason to ever remove that side of the connector and it saved me some assembly time.

I think that is perfectly acceptable to hard solder wires on one side of the SSS board. I went with molex plugs for the presentation factor.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like they have a 1000ft minimum order for a spool.

You'd be surprised how quick 1,000ft of wire disappears.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

You'd be surprised how quick 1,000ft of wire disappears.

I order 100ft spools of various gauges and colors, but I don't seem to go through them too quickly. I don't use a lot of long segments of wire, I guess.

Then again, if you're making boatloads of adapters and harnesses, I could see how that could go quickly.

#37 7 years ago

Two down, two to go.

20161207225146738 (resized).jpg20161207225146738 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

Can't you get by with just six wires?
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Can't you get by with just six wires?

You could but the game wouldn't be fun anymore.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Isn't that connector "split" on all System 11 games?
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Isn't that connector "split" on all System 11 games?

For systems 3-7 as intended, just my odd sense of humor. As for system 11-11a this new board will work fine except for the labeling is incorrect. You are correct in saying only six wires are needed as the connector is indeed split, but I think I will use all eight conductors to keep this a universal board for all games that I may purchase.

#42 7 years ago

sneak peak at the next project. bally/stern mpu using the 6802 cpu.
    sneak peak top (resized).pngsneak peak top (resized).png

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Are you using cybernaut as a reference?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

Are you using cybernaut as a reference?

No. I did the 6802 CPU based on Leon's description. 6802 is much more available and less expensive than 6800. It also simplifies the clock (no 9602, two crystals and jumpers to set clock speed). Eliminates u7 too. Simplified the reset generation. NVRAM is mandatory. FM16(W)08 (dil28 or so28 package) with jumpers for the upper data bit connections for MPU200. All part numbers match the original bally layout except new parts (not many) are in the x200 range.

Been working on it for months now. Prototype ordered.... Holding my breath it will work on the first try.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

No. I did the 6802 CPU based on Leon's description. 6802 is much more available and less expensive than 6800. It also simplifies the clock (no 9602, two crystals and jumpers to set clock speed). Eliminates u7 too. Simplified the reset generation. NVRAM is mandatory. FM16(W)08 (dil28 or so28 package) with jumpers for the upper data bit connections for MPU200. All part numbers match the original bally layout except new parts (not many) are in the x200 range.
    Been working on it for months now. Prototype ordered.... Holding my breath it will work on the first try.

If you need someone to help test, let me know.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Following, Might be time to drag my basketcase Lost World out of the closet.

1 month later
    #47 7 years ago

It's time to revive this thread with some new info. I bought these early and Andrew shipped promptly... but life got fully in the way until now.

I can confirm they work with System9 and System11, as follows.

In all cases I was working within the slack limits of the factory harnesses... which isn't always ideal. In some cases there are wide-open spaces for the SolSaver board... but the game's original solenoid harness will not reach.

If you are stocked on Molex Male-Male adapters you could probably make your own custom extensions to solve this. However, I am not stocked on Molex parts. In fact, I bought the SolSaver kits to save a few bucks and have fun soldering... not realizing I would need a crimp tool to make the harnesses. If you buy the kits, a crimp tool is an absolute MUST! Fortunately there are a few decent ones on Amazon for about 25 bucks and the one I picked worked fantastically.

Anyway, on to the installations:

SolSaver_System9SolSaver_System9

^ Space Shuttle (System 9) was my first pin and first MPU repair attempt - as my notes attest, it didn't go perfectly. The Solenoid Saver is a MUST for fragile boards like this one! There's plenty of space below the board, but again - the stock harness at 1J19 won't reach.

So I mounted it as shown. It's tight, but the light board *just clears* with no ill effect.

SolSaver_Sys11early (resized).jpgSolSaver_Sys11early (resized).jpg

^ This System11 is an early version from a PinBotsketcase I revived as holidays '16 approached. Again, the board has some weak spots from previous work and probably won't like being poked any more than absolutely necessary. Thankfully, unlike System9, there's a perfect open spot in the backbox for the SolSaver board - right next to connector 1J19! Easy, as if the factory meant it to be there!

But not all System11's are like this....

SolSaver_Sys11late (resized).jpgSolSaver_Sys11late (resized).jpg
    ^ This System11 is a Space Station, made near the end of Williams' "Switched Solenoid" era. And by then Williams was cramming the backbox chock full of stuff, so there is almost no room to put even this tiny thing. It could maybe fit in a space above the MPU and a foot to the left... or down low along the right side wall. But in either case, you're back to needing an extension cable... which I did not have the capability to make.

So for now, I rigged a "floating riser" of scrap packaging plastic and mounted the SolSaver to it, just to get an idea of placement and test compatible functionality. Yes, this is kind of hacky... but no, it doesn't move and yes, it proves the concept.

I'd love to get an extension cable, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IN ALL CASES....

There are three cautions you need to be aware of:

1) MAKE SURE TO ORIENT THE STOCK SOLENOID HARNESS PROPERLY WHEN YOU CONNECT IT!!! The SolSaver looks like a simple pass-through, right? But there are 8 pins and only 6 fuses. Pins 1 and 2 are pass-through, and pins 3-9 (with the obvious exception of keypin 5) are fused.

If you're like me, you try to orient the board such that its printed text is legible right-side up. On System3-6 games, this is not a problem: I installed one in a Firepower first and everything lined up: Text legible, stock harness plugs in, boom.

But when I did the same on Space Shuttle, the natural orientation of the stock Solenoid harness was such that it's "reversed" in relation to the SolSaver board... so even though it connected just fine at first glance... as it happened, two of the game's solenoids were passing through the unprotected pins 1 and 2, while fused pins 8 and 9 were passing through to the flipper relay!

The game still works like this, but you are without a full third of the protection you expect.

So basically, make sure to orient your installation so that the "split" two-pin connector at 1J19, which is the flipper relay, connects to passthrough pins 1-2 on the SolSaver. Depending on the way your factory harness is oriented, you might have to flip the SolSaver "upside down", or unthread and twist the harness to suit your preference.

If I could make a suggestion to Andrew, I'd maybe label future revs of the board to more readily indicate the unfused passthrough pins...

2) SPEAKING OF LABELING.... the printed labels on the PCB are indicative of Sys3-6, and don't correspond to System 9 or System 11.
    So here's how the pinouts map to Sys9 and 11. I plan to make labels for my boards and place them under the fuses:

PIN---STATE---S9Q#---S11Q#
    1------pass-----RLY------RLY--
    2------pass-----RLY------RLY--
    3------fused----Q79-----Q73-
    4------fused----Q77-----Q71-
    5------KEY---------------------
    6------fused----Q81-----Q69-
    7------fused----Q75-----Q75-
    8------fused----Q83-----Q77-
    9------fused----Q85-----Q79-

3) THESE DO WORK so be prepared for some new troubleshooting vectors. I did some other work on Pinbot and unbeknownst to be, mangled a sling switch. During attempted gameplay it would flutter and pulse and almost lock on. I shut the game off before any damage was done, and could see where the fuse browned a bit. YES! Working as designed!

But after correcting my switch, I didn't replace the "browned" fuse. And as it happened, other gameplay bugs popped up that I chased around all over, before I simply replaced the fuse... which promptly solved those problems.

So if some problems can indeed sometimes be "just a fuse", remember you've got 6 more of them now ha ha.

Anyway, these things are GREAT. Thanks Andrew for making these. I hope my rambling is useful for other Sys9 and Sys11 owners....

#48 7 years ago

Thank you for the info and pictures!

#49 7 years ago

You're welcome. I hope it's helpful.

Maybe you should edit the OP to say "Special Solenoid Saver for Sys3-7, 9 and 11A"... get some more well-deserved business and help others protect more games. I love elegant simple solutions like this one you came up with, and since I don't have much like that to contribute myself, if I can help out on behalf of others that's the least I can do.

#50 7 years ago

Couldn't the back side of the board be labeled for system 11?

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-solenoid-saver-board-for-wms-3-7/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.