Special Force Switch Problem

By PinballGurus

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I’m having a problem with Special Force where several targets are reporting closed in test mode, when I know in fact they are open. I’m pretty certain it’s a playfield issue, because the problem resolves when I unplug the switch connector from the board and reports all switches open (normal state); does this make sense? Any ideas what could cause several switches to go out like this other that a short on on the playfield? I’ve looked almost everywhere on the board for issues; but haven’t found much. Ideas would he appreciated. Thanks! Looking for the schematics now.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

I’m having a problem with Special Force where several targets are reporting closed, when I know in fact they are open. I’m pretty certain it’s a playfield issue, because the problem resolves when I unplug the switch connector from the board and reports all switches open (normal state); does this make sense? Any ideas what could cause several switches to go out like this other that a short on on the playfield? I’ve looked almost everywhere on the board for issues; but haven’t found much. Ideas would he appreciated. Thanks!

#3 4 years ago

One or more caps shorted, perhaps.

A short to ground somewhere in the matrix, maybe.

Were things working at one point, then stopped? What preceded this?

#4 4 years ago

I seem to recall that the key pad might share some switch positions with the switches on the matrix. So, perhaps a faulty key pad. Can you unplug the key pad and see if it still happens.

I may be wrong about this, but it is worth a shot.

#5 4 years ago

I actually thought it might be the keypad too, so I did unplug it and still had the same switch issue.

Quoted from Nokoro:

I seem to recall that the key pad might share some switch positions with the switches on the matrix. So, perhaps a faulty key pad. Can you unplug the key pad and see if it still happens.
I may be wrong about this, but it is worth a shot.

#6 4 years ago

I agree I think it’s likely a short to ground as it was a working prior to replacing bulbs.

Quoted from Nokoro:

One or more caps shorted, perhaps.
A short to ground somewhere in the matrix, maybe.
Were things working at one point, then stopped? What preceded this?

#7 4 years ago

I agree I think it’s likely a short to ground as it was a working prior to replacing bulbs.

Perhaps while pushing the lamp sockets back in place, you have made contact with a switch lug, cap, or diode. You’ll probably have to check each one. If I’m watching your video correctly, the switches are all over the place on the matrix, not just in one column or row.

#8 4 years ago

Exactly or I would assume it was a chip. At this point I’m definitely thinking I shorted something. I’ll report back soon. Doing Eight Ball Deluxe 1984 right now.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Perhaps while pushing the lamp sockets back in place, you have made contact with a switch lug, cap, or diode. You’ll probably have to check each one. If I’m watching your video correctly, the switches are all over the place on the matrix, not just in one column or row.

#9 4 years ago

I still haven’t tracked this one down on the playfield.

#10 4 years ago

Which switches are reporting incorrectly?

#11 4 years ago

That first video shows. The closed switches. Don’t seem to be in the matrix. Can’t find a good schematic still.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Which switches are reporting incorrectly?

#12 4 years ago

Rocket K
Rocket E (?)
Left sling
Outhole right
Outhole middle
Outhole left
Bomb B
Load Bombs

Inline DT Bot
Rebound

#13 4 years ago

Rocket K
Rocket E (?)
Left sling
Outhole right
Outhole middle
Outhole left
Bomb B
Load Bombs
Inline DT Bot
Rebound

Inkochnito has a great tech site with almost all 6803 games including Special Force: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

All of your "closed" switches are in rows 13 and 14. Follow these wires and check for shorts and bad diodes.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

Here’s where’s I’m at... any ideas appreciated.

#15 4 years ago

Tracing wires tomorrow. Ugh. ;p

#16 4 years ago

Any ideas? I’m still stumped.

#17 4 years ago

After some time racking my brain and going over wiring I was finally able to locate one of the issues. Somehow one of the grounding straps in the coin door was detached and machine contact with the credit button and shorting it, which was ostensibly causing the left slingshot to fire randomly.

So now that I have that fixed and grounded, I still have one issue remaining. Both the K and E targets are closed on the switch test; sometimes they randomly open too and everything is fine which is telling me a flashing bulb or something is grounding to those switches perhaps. I can’t seem to find anything obvious on the playfield but there are two banks of lights out, which should be an indicator, but I’m still not seeing it. Ugh!

1 month later
#18 4 years ago

Disregard above post. Still doing the same thing.

#19 4 years ago

Does anything change in the switch test if you pull J3 (cabinet switches) insted of J4?

#20 4 years ago

I’ll try that now. Thanks man. I really appreciate your help.

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Does anything change in the switch test if you pull J3 (cabinet switches) insted of J4?

#21 4 years ago

So I turned it on again today and the one amp playfield fuse was now blown. I put a fuse breaker on it and turned on and it immediately pulls the left sling and blows my fuse breaker.

The interesting thing is I removed the wires from the left sling switch, yet it still pulled the coils, which led me to believe it’s a board issue??? If I pull plug J6 the sling will not pull and the fuse will not blow.

This is a newer issue than what I’ve been originally tracking. When I booted it today all the lights seemed to work, whereas before many were not working, prior to removing the left sling shot switch wires, so this is rather confusing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.