Left drops up (resized).png
3 left drop knockers (resized).png
weapon drop down (resized).png
hostage drop (resized).png
Weapon drop UP (resized).png
right flipper (resized).png
outhole switches (resized).png
kick to shooting lane (resized).png
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

My Special Force right slingshot won't work. The switch registers a sound and points, but the slingshot has no voltage (41v at the left slingshot) and doesn't kick with the switch. I assume the transistor is bad, but don't know how to test. I also assume that the switch is what energizes the transistor, but don't have schematics on the circuits. Can anyone offer some insight?
Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Could you post pics from under the playfield of the faulty slingshot?

Usually the power wiring to the coils is daisy-chained, so it hops from one coil to the next. It's possible there's just a break in the chain. I'd check for continuity from the slingshot coil to the other coils while looking for a loose power wire at any of them as well.

In the meantime I'll take a gander at the schematics and see if anything else pops out. Are all the other switches and coils working in the game?

Also, a link to the schematics for your game, free to download from The Internet Pinball Database: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2272/Bally_1986_Special_Force_Manual.pdf

Here's the relevant portion for the moment--it looks like there will be a red wire carrying the power to both slingshots and the 3 pop bumpers. That's the wire you want to make sure has continuity across all 5 of those coils.

Screenshot_20211202-184058.pngScreenshot_20211202-184058.png
#3 2 years ago

Hey frunch, it turned out to be the daisy-chained coil wire as you suspected. Works perfect now.
Thanks for your help.

#4 2 years ago

Excellent! Glad you found the culprit.

#5 2 years ago

Now that it is fixed, I introduced another problem I didn't know I had. When I fixed the wire, the popups are now working which I didn't even realize they didn't work. However, now that they work, one of them keeps repeating without being struck by the ball. Do I need to replace the whole bumper, or can I repair it and if so how?

#6 2 years ago

It's possible the over-active bumper could be triggering from it's activation switch being gapped too closely. Adjusting those switches can take a bit of trial and error to get them just right. You'll need to access the switch under the playfield. You want about a 1/16" gap between the contacts.

I will often test the pop bumpers I'm adjusting by (lightly) pounding the playfield a few times to see if I can get the bumpers to trigger without the ball.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from mvec:

Now that it is fixed, I introduced another problem I didn't know I had. When I fixed the wire, the popups are now working which I didn't even realize they didn't work. However, now that they work, one of them keeps repeating without being struck by the ball. Do I need to replace the whole bumper, or can I repair it and if so how?

Just out of an abundance of caution, when bombs are loaded and you hit the ramp, the pop bumpers will thump repeatedly to simulate an explosion. However, if this is happening at other times, then I agree with frunch to check the gap of the switch.

#8 2 years ago

You can also test in switch test mode by banging on the playfield with your fist. If it signals then, then it is likely gapped too close. If it signals in switch test mode without doing anything, then it may be a bad cap on the bumper switch.

#9 2 years ago

It turned out to be the plastic ring that engages the switch. The ball hit it and it would stay down. I replaced the spring and it seems to be working now.
Thanks for the suggestions.

#10 2 years ago

Excellent! Enjoy your game, that's a cool one!

#11 2 years ago

Well I thought I finally got everything working, but now when a hostage is captured a new ball does not load.
It seems like whenever I fix something, another problem pops up.
Any ideas on this one?
Thanks

#12 2 years ago

Perhaps the switch for the capture hole is out of adjustment, or has a broken off wire or diode leg on the switch?

Do all the other switches on the playfield seem to work ok?

You're getting there, you'll have this thing 100% soon!

#13 2 years ago

Yes everything else works fine. I will check the capture switches and report back. Thanks.

#14 2 years ago

If the ball is stuck in that saucer, and you turn the machine off and turn it back on, does the ball eject? If not, then it certainly does sound like the switch.

You inspired me to play my Special Force today. Such a fun, underrated pin. I was on my way to a high score when my ball got stuck and I tilted trying to get it out. You’ll get yours working soon!

#15 2 years ago

Also, keep in mind that there could be a broken wire on another switch in that same row or column that is affecting the saucer switch. So, if the saucer switch looks fine, time to start checking others that are connected.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If the ball is stuck in that saucer, and you turn the machine off and turn it back on, does the ball eject? If not, then it certainly does sound like the switch.
You inspired me to play my Special Force today. Such a fun, underrated pin. I was on my way to a high score when my ball got stuck and I tilted trying to get it out. You’ll get yours working soon!

The saucer switches work as expected and the balls eject when powered on. They also release the hostages. when it calls for a new ball after capture, there is a short buzz coming from what is in the pic (looks like a relay, but don't know what it does) and the next ball isn't spit out. This relay is in front near the ball mechanism.

IMG_20211204_164410504 (resized).jpgIMG_20211204_164410504 (resized).jpg
#17 2 years ago

The saucer switches work as expected and the balls eject when powered on. They also release the hostages. when it calls for a new ball after capture, there is a short buzz coming from what is in the pic (looks like a relay, but don't know what it does) and the next ball isn't spit out. This relay is in front near the ball mechanism.

IMG_20211204_164410504 (resized).jpgIMG_20211204_164410504 (resized).jpg
#18 2 years ago

That’s a solenoid expander relay. I’ve had cold solder joints on one that affected the kick out. Except I couldn’t even start a game. So check the solder joints and reflow if needed.

#19 2 years ago

Also check for a lamp mounted under the playfield somewhere near that little relay board. The lamp should be an incandescent 555 bulb. Do you see that lamp come on when it's buzzing the relay on that board?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Also check for a lamp mounted under the playfield somewhere near that little relay board. The lamp should be an incandescent 555 bulb. Do you see that lamp come on when it's buzzing the relay on that board?

I should have mentioned that. OP, if you put the game in lamp test mode and have all lamps blink on and off, that 555 that frunch is referring to should also blink on and off, and the relay should make a nice clicking sound along with the blinking of the bulb. The 555 bulb needs to be working.

However, since it appears you can get a ball into the shooter lane at the beginning of the game, but not always later like when you capture a hostage, it does sound like it might be an intermittent problem with the relay. Cold solder joints can cause that.

#21 2 years ago

The incandescent light bulb does not light when the relay buzzes and no ball is ejected. I reflowed the relay board, but no change.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from mvec:

The incandescent light bulb does not light when the relay buzzes and no ball is ejected. I reflowed the relay board, but no change.

Does the bulb light at all? In lamp test? If not, replace the bulb and see if that fixes things. You need a working bulb.

#23 2 years ago

I just changed the light bulb. Now it lights when the relay buzzes, but still doesn't work.

#24 2 years ago

Was the game working once and then stopped or did you get it like this? Perhaps double check the wiring on the connector going to the board to make sure each wire is going to the correct pin.

If that looks good and if the relay buzzes but doesn’t click, it could be a bad relay. Marco Specialties used to sell replacement expander boards. Not too much money.

#25 2 years ago

It did work until I fixed the slingshot

#26 2 years ago

I guess I will get a replacement board...can anyone tell me what the purpose of this board is?

#27 2 years ago

It sends power to one set of solenoids or another depending upon whether the relay is engaged.

#28 2 years ago

I found one on Marco for $50. Is this a good price?

#29 2 years ago

I did the solenoid test. when it got to the test in the pic, the relay makes the buzzing noise.

IMG_20211205_124254769 (resized).jpgIMG_20211205_124254769 (resized).jpg
#30 2 years ago
Quoted from mvec:

I found one on Marco for $50. Is this a good price?

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally-as-2518-66-sol-exp.html

Quoted from mvec:

I guess I will get a replacement board...can anyone tell me what the purpose of this board is?

This board splits the 43v solenoid bus into two lines. That way one one transistor can control two different coils depending on which way the relay is positioned. They use a lamp driver signal to control which direction the sol expander relay is directing the 43v bus.

The outhole, the rocket drops, and some other stuff should all make the sol expander relay click. It should click once right as the expanded coil fires.

4/5 problems with this board is related to cracked solder joints. It is mounted near the flippers which has experienced probably 100k shocks of the coil plunger slamming into nearby stop, single sided pcb without plated holes, etc... cracked solder joints.

#31 2 years ago

I ran into this issue on my buddy's Black Belt a while back. If reflowing the solder on the solenoid expander doesn't fix it, it would also be worth re-seating the connectors on the mpu board in the backbox.

As I recall, I had reflowed the solenoid expander and still had no luck. Next, I pulled the mpu out to check the transistor for the solenoid expander, but everything looked/tested good. After putting the board back in, it's worked fine ever since. Only thing I really did in the process was pull the connectors off and put them back on when I reinstalled the board... so I chalked it up to a connector issue. It would probably be worth getting a look at the soldering for the header pins on the MPU, and reflow any suspect or cracked solder joints for them.

#32 2 years ago

Not sure if you've found the solution yet, but I've been thinking over the problem. It looks like the Outhole Ejector (aka "Kick to Playfield" on schematic) shares the same circuit as the Knocker coil. It would be worth taking a look at both the Knocker and Outhole Ejector coils: check for proper wiring, and that the diodes on the coils have proper orientation etc.

Note that there's 2 coils in the ball trough where the balls go out of play--the Outhole coil that kicks the ball to the right--over to the Outhole Ejector coil. The Outhole Ejector feeds the ball to the shooter lane when activated (after a ball is lost and a new ball is started, or after a ball is captured)...That's the coil that's malfunctioning---and shares the circuit with the knocker coil.

Screenshot_20211208-203947.pngScreenshot_20211208-203947.png

If everything looks good there, here's another question: does it only act up when the capture drop target is down? Or just when a ball is in the saucer? Odd thing is that the coil appears to be working unless certain game states are happening (if I'm interpreting the behavior correctly).

It may also be worth moving back a couple steps: exactly which wire needed to be reattached to get the slingshot working? Could you post a pic of the coil and the wire that was broken going to it?

I'm starting to wonder if that loose wire was disconnected for a reason (a fix to keep the game playing, despite some features not working)...

Btw--the knocker appears to be under the playfield near the left flipper, as far as I can tell.

#33 2 years ago

Frunch, this seems to only happen when a hostage is taken (in the saucer) ...a new ball is not kicked out in this case. The coil that moves the ball to the right works fine. Very rarely does it happen during normal play, when no hostages are taken. I just received and installed a new solenoid expander and it still happens. It has nothing to do with the drop targets. They work as expected. The power wire that I reconnected was on the middle village hut coil. That is why the right slingshot didn't work before. How do I check diods? do I need to desolder one end first? The pic shows the wire that was disconnected.
BTW I may not be able to post any more after this since I am not verified.

IMG_20211210_165539052 (resized).jpgIMG_20211210_165539052 (resized).jpg
#34 2 years ago

Ok, hopefully we're getting closer to the culprit. Try putting the game in coil test with all the drop targets in the up position (including the single-drop targets like the capture target). With no targets down and no balls in the game, does the Outhole Ejector coil fire properly in the coil test? If so, try knocking down the capture target and see if the Outhole Ejector coil still fires. If it works, try placing a ball in the capture saucer and see if the Outhole Ejector still works.

I don't know if the capture target has to be down to put a ball in the saucer, but if it does--try raising the target back up while the ball is in the saucer and see if that corrects the issue. I'm guessing either the saucer or capture target is causing the mix-up for the Outhole Ejector, so this will hopefully help narrow down whether the problem's around there or somewhere else.

Another question: does the knocker work in coil test? Did you get a chance to check it out as per my last post?

We'll get to the bottom of this, just gonna take a bit more digging.

#35 2 years ago

The coil test was good. I decided to try reseating all the connectors on the MPU board.
Now everything is working as expected again (almost everything ).
Now I have a new problem with the hostages. On the first hostage is taken, the drop target pops back up and the new ball is spit out.
However, when the second hostages is taken, the system doesn't even recognize it and the game won't continue.
I checked both the roll over switches and they work.

#36 2 years ago

Nice! I don't like having no good explanation for a fix, but in a case like that I have to assume it's a bad connection. If it persists, you'll have to narrow down which connector is the culprit and reflow the header pins etc.

As far as the multiball issue: you want to make sure that all 3 switches in the ball trough under the apron (the cover over the ball trough/outhole area below the flippers) are ok. I know that's not where the balls are getting locked, but the game needs to know where the balls are between the capture/locks on the playfield and in the ball trough under the apron, otherwise it will assume it's still in play (afaik). Test with 3 balls, then remove 1, test again, remove another, test again. Experiment a bit, and see if you can get a ball to hang up in that area. I was reading that those switches can be difficult to get adjusted just right.

My theory is that the wire actuator for one or more of those switches may be preventing a single ball from rolling all the way down onto the switch it's supposed to be sitting on. With the weight of one or 2 more balls behind the "next" ball, there's enough force to push through the mis-adjusted switch actuators, but with just one ball it may not be quite enough on its own (and may hang out between 2 switches instead of resting on the one it's supposed to be on).

I'm thinking in this case, it's working fine as long as there's more than one ball in the Outhole Ejector trough--the weight of the extra ball or 2 is pushing the front ball into position, but once you've locked 2 balls--there's no extra weight to push the ball into the switch, so the game doesn't know the ball is there... So it's hopefully a matter of tweaking the switch actuator(s) just right so they allow the ball to roll all the way down without "help" from the other balls.

Again, that's just my guess at this point, but there appears to be some precedent for issues in that area.

You're getting close!!!

Btw, let me know if there's anything I can do to help verify you.

#37 2 years ago

The saucer switch works because it knows to eject the ball. I just don't know what the two rollover switches before the saucer do.

#38 2 years ago

The switches you're referring to probably track a second and third ball in that area (the capture area to the right of the pop bumpers).

What I'm referring to is the switches under the apron all the way at the front of the playfield. There's 3 switches under there that also track the balls, and I think that might be where the problem is.

Basically, the game needs to be able to detect up to three balls at the Outhole Ejector trough, and up to three balls at the capture area (one in the saucer, and 2 behind it).

#39 2 years ago

The game allow 2 balls to be captured. Under normal play, when a second ball is captured, the drop target pops up and everytime it gets hit down, it immediately pops back up. Now when the second ball goes in, it is not recognized even though it rolls over the 2 switches. the third ball is in the outhole where it should be.

#40 2 years ago

I would try setting up the game in the state you were describing (2 balls locked, one in Outhole Ejector trough, game stuck) and put the game into switch test. We want to see that the game recognizes all three balls correctly when it gets to that point.

#41 2 years ago

I am thinking someone rewired coils or the 43v solenoid bus wire without taking care as to which side of the relay it should be on? Expanded coils have two diodes and three lugs. Without the diodes the voltage can feed through coil windings and then it would get interesting.

The manual should show what coils are expanded (three lug double diode). Schematic hard to read, but Page 44 of the PDF on IPDB. Top right box.

Capture DT and outhole same driver. Knocker and "kick to PF" same driver. Each one powered by different side of relay. Then the rest expanded drivers are a solenoid shared with flasher.

#42 2 years ago

I did not get any errors on the coil test.
To further my frustration, it has been blowing the coil fuse randomly (6 times in a week).
I have added pics of all the coils. Maybe there is a clue in one of them.
Thanks.

3 left drop knockers (resized).png3 left drop knockers (resized).png3 pops (resized).png3 pops (resized).pngLeft drops up (resized).pngLeft drops up (resized).pngWeapon drop UP (resized).pngWeapon drop UP (resized).pngfront knocker (resized).pngfront knocker (resized).pnghostage drop (resized).pnghostage drop (resized).pngkick to shooting lane (resized).pngkick to shooting lane (resized).pngleft flipper (resized).pngleft flipper (resized).pngleft sling (resized).pngleft sling (resized).pngouthole switches (resized).pngouthole switches (resized).pngright flipper (resized).pngright flipper (resized).pngright sling (resized).pngright sling (resized).pngsaucer (resized).pngsaucer (resized).pngweapon drop down (resized).pngweapon drop down (resized).png
#43 2 years ago

Hard to tell from the picture but "kicks ball to shooter lane" coil wiring looks suspicious. The third coil lug is just used for attaching the diodes (banded side), looks like I see an orange wire there.

Is the plastic melted around the diode body on the "saucer" coil? If so, that is a clue.

#44 2 years ago

Have you checked the resistance on all the coils to ensure they are all within spec and no shorts?

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Have you checked the resistance on all the coils to ensure they are all within spec and no shorts?

Do I have to remove the coil to test the resistance?
Same for checking diodes?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from mvec:

Do I have to remove the coil to test the resistance?
Same for checking diodes?

You shouldn’t have to remove the coils. I recently accurately tested the resistance of all the coils on my Paragon, and I did it with everything connected. You may need to take care of which lug you put the two probes on to ensure you aren’t measuring through the diode but rather through the coil.

Whether you have to remove the diodes is a good question. I would think you would get zero resistance in one direction when current passes through the diode, and the coil resistance in the other direction. But I’m conceptualizing all this in my head, and it would be good for others to chime in.

#47 2 years ago

Here’s a chart showing all coil resistances by part number:

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#48 2 years ago

I tested all the coil resistances and only found one that doesn't seem correct. The coil that hits the ball into the trough with the other balls (sorry I don't know know the terminology) is open. It only has 2 lugs and when I connect the meter leads it reads open. When I swap the leads it reads 1 M ohms effectively open. When I test the voltage, one lug reads 43v and the other reads 60v. Definitely something weird going on, but it works as expected. I don't know how to test the ball trough switches because it looks like a sealed black box.

#49 2 years ago

Can someone tell me the difference between an AE-26-1200 and a A-26-1200 coil?
Thanks.

#50 2 years ago

Another question about coils...
The one I spoke about above is an A-26-1200 and it has 3 lugs.
When I look up A-26-1200 coils, they all have just 2 lugs.
So confused

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-right-slingshot-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.