PXL_20230917_043941870 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044240763 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044229348 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044146883 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926168377 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926163205 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926157501 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926149596 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Ok, so a little more experimentation has lead me to the conclusion that the recorded sound effects are stored on the sound roms as unsigned 8-bit data, and that the first pair of roms have two channels of the same sounds and the 2nd pair has two channels of the same sounds.
The sound rom can be imported into Audacity and played back.
This includes all gunshots, explosions and crickets. That means if you replace the sound with another that is less than or equal in length, it should be possible to change them.
My assumption is that the music is not a recorded sound, but likely the result of some kind of on-board synthesizer. I'm not sure where that data is stored, but the beginning of the first pair of rom files is not recorded sound data.

Do you have any tips on how to extract the sounds? I tried it on a Strange Science rom and it somewhat works! If I play the rom at full speed it lasts about 1 second. I could pick out one section that if I slow down to 0.21x speed it says "Strange Science" just like in the game! Some of the other sounds must be embedded at slower speeds because there is still a lot of fast sounding sounds when playing back the whole thing at 0.21x

#72 8 years ago

Yes SS uses the Turbo Cheap Squeak sound board which is a bit different. I imported with the same settings except I used 44100 Hz. If you do that and play back at .21x, you can hear a clear strange science, laughter that sounds like a clown from a funhouse, and some other sounds from the game that I can recognize. Everything must be in there, but some sections just sound like jammed together garbage so I'm not sure how find each sound in there.

1 year later
#177 7 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Another question, this is a general 6803 question really... I noticed some of the switch capacitors were cut. I know that shorted caps can cause stuck switches. All the switches in my machine seem to be working fine, so is there any reason to replace the cut (shorted) caps? If it's a good idea to do this then what type of caps are these?

Which caps are you referring to, on the EOS switches? Mine were also missing on my 6803 game but it was working fine. I installed new ones anyways so they match the schematic.

8 months later
#206 6 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Does anyone else have a remote with their special force? I am having a hard time getting this game on free play. Also does anyone have a low volume issue. I can barely hear it. I know the dial is in the door.

There is also a volume pot on the sound board in the back box. Try adjusting this as well, and if you don't get much response give it a shot of contact cleaner and turn it fully back and forth a few times with the game off.

The remote system is not very intuitive, just follow the instructions as best you can and make sure you are saving any changes.

6 months later
#212 5 years ago

6803 games use 1 SCR to drive 2 inserts on separate phases. In your case, both of the lights that are out are controlled by Q33. If diodes are good then Q33 is probably toasted, which is easy to do if working underneath the playfield with the game on.

Grab a few 2N5060 SCRs, and swap out Q33 and keep the spares on hand.

3 years later
#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Does Special Force have an attract mode with audio?
I do not think I have ever heard my machine make any noise while sitting idle.
Thanks.

No but I think all of the 6803 games have a neat instructional mode when you press a flipper button (the right side flipper? Can't remember) where if you press it during attract mode it will run through the various shots and light them up and explain them.

1 year later
#317 1 year ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Thanks everyone, that makes sense.
Yup! Already planned on getting some for that issue during my clean up of this machine next week.
Oh yeah, was also happy to see that someone before me installed a anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminator!
What are you guys doing for the bulb in the backbox? I thought about screwing in a light bulb to outlet converter and then putting a 5v LED light strip in there. I saw some people had a "wheel" like light bulb, but couldn't find one at Home Depot.

That round wheel bulb is old CFL style and obsolete. Just use a decent quality led bulb that plugs right in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-owners-club?tu=snakesnsparklers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.