PXL_20230917_044229348 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044146883 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926168377 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926163205 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926157501 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926149596 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926147069 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926142460 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 7 years ago

I just picked up a special force, love it so far but can't figure out some of the rules... what do you need to do to light the helicopter ramp 'escape'? How do you light the 'set explosives' light, and once lit, score form the lit explosives?

#169 7 years ago

It's between the flippers directly above shoot again light.

#171 7 years ago

Thanks. I should have read the previous posts closer, it was there all along

#172 7 years ago

this table uses #906 flasher bulbs, correct?

If I'm not mistaken all flasher bulbs in series must work or none of them will work because of how they are wired. That being the case led flasher replacements should work?

#174 7 years ago

So I noticed that on my machine if I have the "release hostages" lit on the right ramp (to start multiball) and the ball drains without making the ramp, when I shoot the next ball to start the round it counts launching the ball as completing the ramp and starts multiball. Is this normal or do i have a bad switch somewhere?

#175 7 years ago

Another question, this is a general 6803 question really... I noticed some of the switch capacitors were cut. I know that shorted caps can cause stuck switches. All the switches in my machine seem to be working fine, so is there any reason to replace the cut (shorted) caps? If it's a good idea to do this then what type of caps are these?

#178 7 years ago

The caps on the roll-over and target switches. I didn't check eos switches, not sure if those are the same.

#181 7 years ago

So another dumb question... I've read that typical capacitors have a 10 year lifespan. Is that 10 years of FUNCTIONAL average use, or are there materials in the caps themselves that decay over the course of a decade which will make them potentially non-functional even if they are not used (similar to the shelf life of an alkaline battery in storage)? I ask because I see some auctions for lots of like 50 caps for very cheap prices but am skeptical of how old they are. If its NOS from the 1980's will these still work or are caps one of those items I should buy from a reputable warehouse that can vouch for the age of the caps and assure that they are newly manufactured?

#183 7 years ago

Thank you for the link!

#184 7 years ago

Don't mean to be redundant if this was already asked, but in the game adjustments for sound it gives options for "chimes", "sounds", and "background", but no option to enable all three at the same time. Anyone know what the "chimes" are? Is this adjustment only pertaining to attract mode?

#186 7 years ago

I have the manual but could not find any explanation of what "chimes" were.

1 month later
#189 6 years ago

I noticed another issue with my machine... I have it set to for 5 balls per game. For some reason the game will not retain earned extra balls. For example, if I have "extra Ball" lit, shoot the weapons ramp to collect it, it says on the display "EXTRA BALL", lights flash etc, but the "shoot again" light does not light up, and when the ball drains and the round is over, the extra Ball is not awarded. Any ideas? If I were to earn an extra Ball while on Ball 5, when the ball drains the game is over. Very frustrating.

1 week later
#191 6 years ago

I'll give it a try, thanks for the advice. When I got the machine a few months back i did change the battery which reset high scores and whatnot, not sure if that would be the exact same as a factory reset.

1 month later
#194 6 years ago

So I have a favor to ask of any SF owners out there. I'm still having the issue I mentioned in the above posts regarding extra balls not being retained when it is set to a 5-ball game. Would someone be able to test this on their machine and see what happens? Simply set your machine to 5 balls per game and see if it retains earned extra balls during the game. Make sure to pay close attention to the number of balls you actually have, because if this is a universal 'bug' keep in mind that the display will indeed tell you that you earned an extra ball, and lights will flash and explosion sounds will be heard, but in the end you will not have an extra ball and the "shoot again" light will never illuminate. If that is the case maybe this game only ever allows 5 balls max per game regardless of adjustment settings? Thanks!

#196 6 years ago

When set to three ball game the extra ball works fine. Its only when machine is set to five ball that it wont retain earned extra balls.

#197 6 years ago

I finally had a chance to finish the mods on my Special Force. The mods include new GI lighting and a helicopter that spins when the ramp shot is made. I created a new thread to show the mods. Here is the link to the thread for anyone interested:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-chopper-and-gi-mods#post-3822315

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Looks really nice! I love the spinning helicopter.
I have to say, while I like the LEDs during play, I do think they take away a bit from the attract mode. Incandescents just dim in that gradual wave like pattern that looks so nice. Special Force has one of the best attract modes out there. My friend and I were just commenting on how the attract mode on Special Force blows most modern Sterns out of the water. I have a Star Trek Pro (which I love) and the attract mode is just awful in comparison.

It does have a certain aesthetic appeal with incandescent, I get where you are coming from there. I installed a switch under the cab to turn the newly added GI led strips off, if desired, to set attract mode to original appearance. I do enjoy the attract mode on SF, but my all time favorite attract mode is still pin bot

1 week later
#201 6 years ago

In regards to my previous post about the extra ball problem I was having, I seemed to have accidentally fixed it. For unrelated reasons I changed the adjustments on my machine to disable attract mode sound (no noise when rocket buttons pressed during attract mode), and changed the adjustment to disable ejection of locked balls for multiball at the start of the next ball. As crazy as it sounds, this fixed the multiball problem I was having. The game now retains extra balls when set to a 5 ball game.

4 months later
#204 6 years ago

Make sure flippers are strong and healthy, you'll need 100% flipper power to get up the ramps. Also make sure machine is well leveled or right ramp will be hard to make and ball will have more tendency to drain down the middle if you don't make it all the way up the helicopter ramp. I put polyurethane rings on the ballsaver bumper posts in the side drains. The ball is saved A LOT more often with these rings (in place of rubber) since it has more bounce to knock the ball all the way past the ballsaver gate and back into the flipper lane. Makes the game much less frustrating since it is a big ball drainer imo.

6 months later
#211 5 years ago

Hey guys, I made a separate topic for this question but I thought I'd post it here too since it deals directly with my Special Force. Sorry about the redundancy. It is a question about playfield lights that went out for no apparent reason. Here is my question:

Just recently the playfield "special" light in the left outlane and the "extra ball" light for the middle ramp went out. Both had brand new LED's placed in them under 2 years ago. They did not go out at the same time if I remember correctly (although I could be wrong). I had asked about GI lights going out on 6803's a while back and it was suggested that I replace the sockets because the weld points fail. With both of these failed playfield lights I have replaced the socket diodes with known working ones and connected the bulbs (tried incandescent and LED's) directly to the strap and supply wire directly (through known good diodes) to entirely bypass the socket to make sure it is not a problem upstream. The lights still do not work. My obvious question here is what could the problem be? I know Williams machines from this era have row and column matrices that cause an entire group of lights to go out if a transistor goes bad, but I am very unfamiliar with Bally/6803 circuit design.

I also have a similar problem on my Escape From the Lost World pin (also 6803). One of the playfield score lights and one of the two "escape" lights is out for no apparent reason. I attributed this to a socket that suddenly went bad. I have not had time to test these (other than with known-working LED's).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1 week later
#213 5 years ago

Thank you, Q33 was the issue. Replacing it fixed the problem.

4 months later
#229 5 years ago

Very cool game. I have 6 full size machine and I play this one just as much as the more popular titles in my collection.

2 months later
#233 5 years ago

Nice work! I like the camouflage molding and side art.

#234 5 years ago

Anybody else notice that the scream/death sound effect seems to be ripped directly from the NES version of Contra?

#235 5 years ago

This may have been addressed before but I noticed that I get a lot of false switch activations on my SF. For example, the upper left target that activates lite extra ball and multiball seems to trigger at random even when it's not hit. In multiball the escape flasher (helicopter ramp) lights almost instantly without having to "set bombs" because one of the three switches that activates that gets triggered without having to hit the appropriate target. I read that it could be caused by bad or disconnected ceramic disc cap at the switch under the playfield. Has anyone else had this issue?

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

It could be a problem with a cap. I've had phantom hits resulting from a bad cap on Special Force. It could also be something much simpler such as a switch that is gapped too close. First go into switch test mode and bang around the playfield with your fist to see if any of the switches are triggered. If so, you can simply adjust the leaf switch to help.

Thanks, I will try this first and see what happens.

2 weeks later
#239 5 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

This may have been addressed before but I noticed that I get a lot of false switch activations on my SF....

To anyone else having ths issue I figured it out. The ceramic disc cap at the switch on three of my switches (including the one that got constant phantom triggers) was completely severed at the solder joint but still touching and barely making intermtittent contact. i think it broke here just from decades of vibration. Replaced with new caps and now it works perfectly. I suppose the lesson here is actually jiggle the cap to make sure both leads are connected. It looked normal so I ignored it at first and it wasn't until i jiggled the cap that I realized it was disconnected.

1 week later
#241 5 years ago

Anyone have an issue with the in lane drop targets not dropping if the ball hits them too hard? The ball bounces off the target so hard it doesn't drop. Seems like it happens constantly on the left three in lane targets. The only way to knock therm down without a rocket is if the ball rolls up very slowly and gently knocks into them. Any known fixes for this?

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hmmm. Maybe try tightening the spring on the drop target?

Ill give it a try and report back.

1 week later
#244 5 years ago

Rules question here:

Which events add score to the end of ball bonus? I know how to increase the bonus multiplier, but what events actually add banked points to the bonus you receive at the end of a ball versus points you receive real-time as the event is actually happening during game play?

#246 5 years ago

1) how do you build/increase the "Escape" value?

2) the "Escape" (jackpot) value is different then the end of ball bonus.

I'm confused as to how exactly both of these values build throughout gameplay.

I think in some games any points earned say for example, when a pop bumper/slingshot is triggered is added to the end of ball and/or jackpot pool. In SF I see the end of ball bonus value displayed between each round, then multiplied if the multipliers were attained during the last ball. I do not know what feeds the points to end-of-ball bonus value. Unless of course I'm missing something very obvious haha.

11 months later
#251 4 years ago

Im having a small issue with the left in-line drop target bank. Everything works fine except when the ball hits one of the targets too hard it bounces off the target with such force so fast that the target doesn't drop. If the ball rolls slower and hits the target then the targets drop normally.

Has anyone had this issue or know a fix? The targets seem to drop passively with no resistance when I manually drop them with my finger and the "fire rocket" button automatically drops the target just fine. Is there a way to tighten the spring or is there a particular adjustment to correct this on this style drop target mechanism?

#252 4 years ago

also, this may have been asked before, but is there a way to stop the game from automatically awarding three (i think its three) rockets at the beginning of each ball, so essentially you could start out with a few but need to actually earn them by hitting the ROCKET targets? I didn't see anything in the manual suggesting this could be done, just wondering if I missed something.

#253 4 years ago

I have one single playfield lamp on my Special Force not working. I replaced the 1n4004 diode at the lamp base, tested the circuit by bypassing the base altogether to rule out bad weld joint in the base itself. If I put a bulb from the input wire directly to ground it lights and stays on constantly. The partner lamp that shares the other phase of the driver (Q28 in this instance) works just fine. I've ruled out the driver transistor, the lamp base, the 1N4004 (replaced with 1N4007), multiple incandescent bulbs, and nothing works.

Fyi, it's the Upper Left "FIRE" light that isn't working. Per the manual it is on Q28 is shared with "Bomb 4". Again, aside from a few of the GI lights, this is the only active playfield light that doesn't work. What else could it be?

5 months later
#270 3 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Well the fuse blew he replaced it and then it started doing wierd stuff and wont start a game now

Does the machine boot up into attract mode? All balls must be accounted for in order for a game to be started, otherwise the start button simply does nothing. If this is the case perhaps a switch (or it's circuit) is malfunctioning.

#271 3 years ago

My biggest gripe with Bally 6803 is the drop target design. I have Special Force and EFTLW, and on both machines if the drop targets are hit too hard the ball bounces off of them and the targets don't drop. I've spent a lot of time disassembling and trying to tweak the targets to avoid this (sanding down and reshaping the lip on the target) with some degree of at least temporary success, but its still not perfect. The three in-line tank targets blocking the upper left lane are the absolute worst. Whats strange is I disassembled and adjusted/calibrated the targets almost perfectly about 6 months ago, but now the middle target gets stuck halfway when it drops. So frustrating. Almost as if temperature or humidity of the changing season had some slight effect on thermal expansion of the metal or plastic parts (which shouldn't happen), idunno. If anyone has a solution please let me know!

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I think it’s a known issue with old Bally’s and not just 6803 games. I’m assuming you’ve tried fresh springs, perhaps shortening them by a coil or three . . . . ?

Yes. Springs didn't seem to help unfortunately. I placed brand new drop targets in the assembly and that seemed to make it worse. It looked like the lip on the new ones were beefier than the originals. I left about 2/3 of the lip at its original right angle and sanded down the last 1/3rd on a 45 degree angle and rounded off the edges which seemed to help a lot. It seems that a high impact shot causes the target to 'bounce' back into position before the spring has time to pull it down far enough for the little lip not to re-engage the metal rim that holds the target up. You've got me thinking about the springs again. I may try reducing the length of the springs even more and report back with results.

2 months later
#293 3 years ago

how does clear ramp with light green saucer look?

2 months later
#294 3 years ago

The lamp diagram in the manual numbers the GI lamps #1 through #12 but doesn't show which is which on the playfield. Does anyone know how to fugue it out? Specifically I need to know which transistor powers the GI lamp located directly to the left of the three inline drop targets bank (an inch to the left of the top-most target).

5 months later
#296 2 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Does Special Force have an attract mode with audio?
I do not think I have ever heard my machine make any noise while sitting idle.
Thanks.

Nope

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

No but I think all of the 6803 games have a neat instructional mode when you press a flipper button (the right side flipper? Can't remember) where if you press it during attract mode it will run through the various shots and light them up and explain them.

This is correct. I have special force and eftlw both have this with no attract mode sound. I put an arduino in my special force that when idle will periodically trigger the instructional mode while in attract mode so the machine lights up a bit while idle.

4 months later
#300 2 years ago
Quoted from Maleko:

My stepson's friend bought a bit of a beater so I offered to help get it playing properly. The flipper wiring is kind of hacked so I'd really like to confirm proper wiring configuration. If someone can provide some good images showing the wiring on theirs, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'll try to post some this weekend for you.

#301 2 years ago
Quoted from Maleko:

My stepson's friend bought a bit of a beater so I offered to help get it playing properly. The flipper wiring is kind of hacked so I'd really like to confirm proper wiring configuration. If someone can provide some good images showing the wiring on theirs, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps...

20211121_133514 (resized).jpg20211121_133514 (resized).jpg20211121_133521 (resized).jpg20211121_133521 (resized).jpg20211121_133527 (resized).jpg20211121_133527 (resized).jpg20211121_133535 (resized).jpg20211121_133535 (resized).jpg20211121_133627 (resized).jpg20211121_133627 (resized).jpg20211121_133706 (resized).jpg20211121_133706 (resized).jpg20211121_133813 (resized).jpg20211121_133813 (resized).jpg
#303 2 years ago
Quoted from Maleko:

It definitely does...thank you so much!

Why did you down vote my post?

1 year later
#312 12 months ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Picked up Special Force the other night for a great price! Got there and the sound stopped working so he knocked even more off the sale price. Turned out the pot on the sound board just needed a little adjusting. LEDs, drop targets, backglass trim and a few other things are on order to get it cleaned up. The backglass is flawless! Fun game so far!
What are the three bolts to nothing on the front of the cabinet?
[quoted image]

Those aren't on mine. Probably from a coin door lock bar that is no longer there?

1 month later
#332 10 months ago

I took SF apart to do a full cleaning and custom paint/graphic job on it (will share soon!!). Upon putting it all back together, my sound no longer works correctly, it's ultra quiet like the amp isn't working. I played with the pots on the sound board and sprayed contact cleaner in it, no change. Turning the on board pots will turn the sound completely off, but from 0-100% it never gets louder than say 2%. The pots on the coin door appears to do nothing now. I checked the cables and not seeing anything glaring as an issue. The light on the sound board blinks green six times when powered up, so good there. No errors during boot, game plays perfectly fine.
Red push button on sound board produces ultra quiet gun shot too. Reseated speaker cables and molex.
Summary:
- ultra quiet sound
- sound board LED blinks 6 times on boot
- pots on sound board fully up
- used contact cleaner on pots
- coin door pot does nothing
- reseated molex connections to sound board
Thoughts?
Thank you.

Not sure but try asking here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome/

All of the 6803's have the same sound hardware if I'm not mistaken. Your question will reach a larger audience there. Please post the solution when you resolve the problem!

#335 10 months ago

Turns out it's a bad volume knob at the coin door. If I unhook white and move orange over to that spot, or touch black and orange, more volume! But not nearly as loud as it used to be. Will order a new volume knob!

Glad you figured it out!

#338 10 months ago

Yes you can't get the jackpot without multi ball and it is not easy. On the default setting once the multi-ball is lit you have to hit the right ramp to release the balls and even the first shot out of the shooter Lane to begin a ball will release multi-ball. I changed my setting so the first ramp shot of the round won't release multi ball, you need to complete the right ramp during play to release the balls. This makes it much more challenging and doesn't just hand out the multi ball for free. I also added a toggle switch and an Arduino with a relay board to allow for three different game modes. The first mode is classic play, the second mode completely disables the Rockets, and the third mode enables rockets for 10 seconds only when the right ramp is completed.

#342 10 months ago

That keypad is a massive PITA and difficult to understand. It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure it out.

#344 10 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah I see the key pad but have know idea how to use it. Anyone have a video on how to use it?

I couldn't find a video but the operator's manual may have instructions. If you watch the score displays it gives some basic info about the keypad once in the adjustment mode. You can get the manual at ipdb.org if you don't already have it.

#351 10 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

No damage if it is removed. The game will still play, but fast switch hits may not register. The cap stores a charge that it lets out when the switch is closed so if the switch is closed for too short of a time for the computer to register it, the cap gives that extra millisecond or two of charge that gets picked up. That’s my lay person’s understanding.
The manual will have the correct cap type. The one online is hard to read. I have some I use that are labeled 470,000 pf.

Yeah I keep a bag of these ceramic disc caps on hand for my 6803 games. Cheap and easy to replace.

3 months later
#359 6 months ago

Basically finished! A long time coming, I've put off printing the final graphics for the backbox for months. 2hrs later, done! The only things left I'll do eventually are painting the legs, making a custom topper, and a custom plunger handle. I now have a one of a kind! I couldn't be happier how this turned out!
Things done:
- Full LEDs
- Complete tear down and cleaning (was a mess!)
- new bands and wax
- new plunger and spring
- stripped and painted cabinet
- painted lockbar and side rails
- new vinyl graphics to mimic a Vietnam vehicle (cricut!)
- bullet hole graphics
- destunk it (smell horribly like cigarettes)
- new glass guide
- new buttons
- new drop targets
- added Vietnam Special Edition plate
- new t-channel
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic! If you're making a custom topper that can be replicated I might be interested in one. Let me know how it turns out and post pics!

#360 6 months ago

wastedthelight,

I made these mods to my SF a while back and thought you may appreciate them...

-Installed a rocket launcher on the right flipper lane rail. It's mounted on a servo that oscillates the rocket launcher around 70 degrees back and forth when the right ramp shot is completed.

-installed a helicopter as seen in the photo. When the helicopter ramp is completed the rotors spin for 10 seconds.

-installed a Predator figurine, trees, and a tank. Two spotlights illuminate the helicopter and Predator when the ramp shot is completed.

-installed a toggle switch under the cabinet that allows you to choose between three different game modes. There is the normal game mode, there is a mode that completely disables the Rockets, and a game mode that enables the rockets for 10 seconds only when the right ramp is completed. In this mode the Rocket toy oscillates when the Rockets are enabled and stops when the Rockets are disabled.

20230920_223834 (resized).jpg20230920_223834 (resized).jpg20230920_223841 (resized).jpg20230920_223841 (resized).jpg20230920_224113 (resized).jpg20230920_224113 (resized).jpg20230920_230914 (resized).jpg20230920_230914 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#368 68 days ago

My three left flashers went out recently on my SF. According to the manual they are all on the "Bright 1" solenoid driver. I believe it is Q15 but my manual copy is so blury I can't tell for sure and cannot find Q15 on the manual mpu board diagram (again because it is so blury). Can someone confirm that it is Q15 (flasher circuit for flasher under left helicopter ramp saucer) and the location of this transistor on the mpu board? I haven't worked on bally in a long time. This is a common TIP102/TIP120, correct? Thanks!

20240119_224638 (resized).jpg20240119_224638 (resized).jpg
#369 65 days ago

Does anyone know if the knocker coil is disabled if the game is set to free play or if replay/special is set to extra ball instead of free game?

1 month later
#375 33 days ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Is the game supposed to kick out locked balls when the game ends?

That's correct there is indeed a setting to retain locked balls over multiple games, plus a setting that decides whether or not the initial plunger shot for each ball counts towards a right ramp shot to start multiball.

I have mine set NOT to retain locked balls over each game and to NOT count the plunger shot to start multiball.

The factory setting retains locked balls and counts plunger shot to start multiball.

#377 33 days ago
Quoted from JakePG:

It's supposed to from factory,

Thanks. I saw it in the manual when I got home form work that it comes from factory leaving the balls locked.
Now I just need to figure out why I keep getting the Rebound issue. I've adjusted the switches, but still happening occasionally. Flipper go in and out sometimes so I'll also have to look into that.
Almost got it working nicely! Not much longer. I am also considering painting the cabinet like the poste above. That looked really nice

You might find more answers in the general bally 6803 club thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-6803-club-all-welcome

#379 32 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What do you mean? Which switch?
These games are notorious for having caps short and causing switch issues, so if you have a switch firing when it’s not being hit, and you’re sure it is not gapped too close, it could be the cap.

Agreed. I've had this in the past on my SF. Both situations happened to me, a glitchy ceramic cap on the switch and on separate occasion a loose solder connection at the cap where it still made passive contact. They both caused phantom switch triggers or intermittent switch failures.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-owners-club?tu=MoSeS_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.