(Topic ID: 133535)

Special Force -- outhole ejector activates knocker (solenoid expander problem?)

By Nokoro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JustJared
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0930 (resized).JPG
IMG_0928 (resized).JPG
IMG_0927 (resized).JPG
IMG_0926 (resized).JPG
IMG_0925 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

An intermittent issue has started to happen more frequently as of late. When the machine is supposed to activate the outhole ejector and kick a ball to the shooter lane, it sometimes instead activates the knocker. This only happens sometimes, but as I said, it is getting more frequent.

I put the machine in single solenoid test mode, and the outhole ejector seems to work fine then. However, when in play mode, about 50% of the time, the ball does not kick out, and the knocker sounds instead.

What should I look for here? Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

Playing and searching around a bit with it, and I think it is an issue with the solenoid expander relay. Both the outhole ejector and the knocker have the same output wire, so I think that if the relay is not in the right position, the knocker will fire instead of the outhole ejector.

(This is where I should mention that this is all new to me. I just did some reading up and looking at schematics. So, if I misstate something or say something completely wrong, have mercy.)

The relay has a 555 bulb powering it. I read about a test where you put the pin in all lamp test mode. The lamp should blink on and off and the relay should click. My lamp seemed to stay on, and the relay only clicked some of the time. Other times, it was silent or perhaps had a very faint buzz.

I replaced the 555 bulb just in case and started a new game. The same thing happened when the game tried to kick out the ball into the shooter. Finally, after a few tries, it kicked out the ball correctly, and the game played perfectly. I tried several games and it played well. I then decided to do the all lamp test again. Same results as before. I then started a new game, and the ball would not kick out -- just the knocker again. Once the ball finally kicked out after several tries, the game played ok. I did the lamp test one final time, and this time had all clicks, no silence or buzz. I started a game, and it played well.

I hope this makes sense. I am guessing if you are familiar with solenoid expander relays on old Ballys, you will know what I am talking about.

At this point, I guess I should just watch the game and see if it continues to recur. Assuming it does, what are my next steps? I read an article that sounds like it could be any number of problems with the relay. Is there any way to figure this out and narrow down the possibilities?

9 months later
#5 7 years ago

I've only been playing Special Force intermittently, but honestly, I completely forgot about this post and the problem. I believe it resolved itself . . . or at least has temporarily. If it reoccurs, I'll have to dig in deeper.

3 months later
#6 7 years ago

This problem is reoccurring. I can solder wires together but don't think my skills are sufficient to deal with cracked solder points on a board. Should I just try to get a new expander? Would that be the next step, or is there something else I should try first?

#8 7 years ago

Ok. Will do as soon as I get a chance. I'll report back. Thanks.

#9 7 years ago

Well, that didn't take long. The back was filthy. I cleaned it with a paper towel so you could see the joints. If you don't think you can see them clearly, let me know. I took a bunch of bad iPhone pics, but I think you can probably see enough. I didn't see any cracks. What do you think?

IMG_0925 (resized).JPGIMG_0925 (resized).JPG
IMG_0926 (resized).JPGIMG_0926 (resized).JPG
IMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0927 (resized).JPG
IMG_0928 (resized).JPGIMG_0928 (resized).JPG
IMG_0930 (resized).JPGIMG_0930 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#10 7 years ago

Bump for some feedback on my pictures. I have a couple weeks off work and plan to try to get this resolved if I can. Thanks!

1 year later
#12 5 years ago

Cool. Mine was a faulty relay. Marco Specialities finally had some replacement boards in stock and buying another solved my problem.

#14 5 years ago

Now that I have a new one that works, I'm going to try repairing the old board. I don't have any experience with board repair so I was reluctant to try until I got a new one in case I made things worse. Now, I can freely make mistakes and learn from them.

11 months later
#16 4 years ago
1 year later
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

Nokoro How did the board fix go? I am looking to pick up a Special Force as my first pin. Thought it would be good to learn how to place a remote battery, take care of the machine, replace to LED's, etc.

I was able to fix the old board. It was just cold solder joints, and it was easier than I expected—without having much experience—to reflow the solder. That fixed it.

SF was my first pin as well. It is good to learn on, not too expensive, and pretty fun to play.

Look into getting an NVRAM chip rather than a remote battery holder. You’ll never have to worry about batteries again.

It’s a matter of preference but I really like incandescents on this pin. The attract mode is beautiful, and I’m not sure LEDs would do it justice.

2 weeks later
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

Nokoro
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still at the beginning stages of learning all the tips and intricacies of maintenance, including soldering. I haven't pulled the trigger yet buying my first pin due to the fact I may not be able to fit a second into the home. I did just find a local demo man also for sale. It is obviously more expensive than SF but looks to be in great shape with the majority of updates I would want already done. Tough call but I thought demo man may win on lastibility. Thoughts since you have owned special force?

Get the Demo Man.

It’s a better pin, and it will be easier to sell if and when you want to change things up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-outhole-ejector-activates-knocker?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.