Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150517_205115.jpg
IMG_20150504_201141.jpg
IMG_20150504_202524.jpg
IMG_20150417_080245.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey all,

After a disastrous near trade with my special force I decided to continue making some mods to the game. Like the previous Special force mod thread I wanted to ensure that all changes I made were able to be reverted. The mods I am looking to make are

- upgrade jungle
- Add Tanks
- Thatch hut roofs
- Add Helicopter
- Additional lighting around tanks
- Make helicopter blades spin in conjunction with helicopter shot

I started by fully LED'ing out the machine which came out really well, then this weekend I cut all new plastics and added moss and foliage using leftover trees and moss from my HO scale train layout. I was also able to find some matchbox tanks to add above the tank shots that I got up and going as well. The top pic is the before and the bottom are the afters.

I'm still searching for a helicopter to use that is a legitimate scale, and working on the bumpers one roof is sitting on my kitchen table for inspiration, still looking for a good mounting scheme for the thatched roof.

IMG_20150417_080245.jpgIMG_20150417_080245.jpg IMG_20150504_202524.jpgIMG_20150504_202524.jpg IMG_20150504_201141.jpgIMG_20150504_201141.jpg
#2 8 years ago

That looks really cool, but there is a lot of glare in your pictures. Maybe take some with the glass off and with different lighting. As a Special Force owner, I would love to see this more clearly. Good job!

#3 8 years ago

I'll get some with the glass off when I get the helicopter all mounted up. I have a Syma S109G remote controlled Apache that the remote is lost for that I'm going to adapt and get installed. I'm thinking I need an arduino to run it since there are the 2 switches I'll have to monitor for starting and stopping. That also opens up some opportunity for operating LED's on the guns if the space and wiring allows.

#4 8 years ago

Sweet! I would love to see that machine! Deeply underrated game, in my opinion. Fun and cheesy, like pinball should be. I guess that's why I have one. What you have done looks so cool, but I would also like to see a top-lit pic as well.

#5 8 years ago

This weekend I was able to get a bit more done on special force. I managed to thatch the roofs of the huts. I did this with small pieces of field grass which I trimmed at the peaks. I had to leave the screw terminals uncovered, and I wanted to keep it thin so that the light would still show through.
IMG_20150517_205115.jpgIMG_20150517_205115.jpg
The trick on this one was keeping it revertable to stock, in the end I wound up using hot melt glue to attach the straw which bound it all together more than it bound everything to the bumper caps themselves. I did a test on the back of one of the caps to ensure that it would be able to be removed with no trace of wear.

I also made some good progress on the helicopter this weekend. I decided to sacrifice my Syma S109G RC helicopter because it was the perfect scale and the apache looks really cool. I had to remove the upper blades and gyro, as well as the tail rotor but with a simple SCR circuit I was able to wire it up to turn on with one switch and turn off with a diffrent switch. My current plan is to add another set of contacts to the helicopter gate (the turn off) and the switch at the top of the ramp(to turn on). I haven't begun the installation process but have it working on a bench. I'll have a more comprehensive set of pics once the chopper is added.

#6 8 years ago

Looking pretty cool. I started that other SF mod thread. I just traded to get my game back, so may be pursuing some of the ideas again in the future.

#7 8 years ago

I wonder whether you'll end up cleaning up bits of grass and twigs from your play field all the time. May be an interesting experiment.

#8 8 years ago

That's definitely a concern but at this point the moss has stopped shedding. I did hit everything with a solid layer of aquanet which was recommended by a few model railroading enthusiasts and it really has cleaned up the bits of moss that were being shed. The bumpers were a much thicker straw to attempt to avoid it, the bumpers are also held together with a bead of hot glue holding everything together at the bottom. The only downside to aquanet is when you open the glass it smells like a 60 year old lady.

Winter - your thread sort of inspired me to take this on. I was actually on the verge of trading my machine only to have it fall through because the 1 amp fuse under the playfield was loose. When I got it home I said let's do this thing. The toughest plastic I had to mod was the weapon ramp since it needed the slanted plastic.

1 year later
#9 7 years ago

Any updates on this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-mods-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.