• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

277078.jpg
#1 9 years ago

a friend of mine has a mint congo with cabinet art in black/white,
he says this is a special second run in very limited numbers but knows no more about it.
Anyone knows anything about this version? is there something online to be found about this?

#2 9 years ago

The B&W games were later production - a month or two after the regular production, to use up the left over cabinets. The B/W were intended to be sold as kits to the public which didn't sell well at all for Williams, so they took the kits and built the B/W Congos with what ever cabinets they had laying around, so although they were intended to be sold as kits they were still professionally assembled by Williams.

#3 9 years ago

The black and white cabs were either a kit game, or a later run to use up the cabs. Personally I prefer the color cab art and would not pay more for the black and white, but to each their own.

#4 9 years ago

These were the left over run they made with the Congo Playfield conversion kits I believe.
I'm sure someone eles can be more Specific.I had a black and white Congo actually they look better in person then in pics

#5 9 years ago

I have a black and white congo. Once i start restoring it i will go w/ black powder coating for everything and then pack it w/ LED's. Should look fantastic...

#6 9 years ago

Congo is one of the best looking games out there for leds. Just a beautiful game if done right.

#7 9 years ago

Oh...you mean like THIS???

277078.jpg277078.jpg

#8 9 years ago

I have a black & white cab too. While I'd love to be the owner of something really rare - I don't get the impression the black & white cabs were really that limited - just a separate run. But maybe I'm wrong...

#9 9 years ago

Who is selling me a Congo?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh...you mean like THIS???

277078.jpg 58 KB

Looks good except for the diamonds. IMHO the best place ever in all of pinball to use an LED instead of a regular bulb is using cool whites in the diamond inserts on a Congo. It looks absolutely perfect. White LEDs can be awesome. I don't understand why some people have to add random colors anywhere the insert is clear. Clear/white can be ok, especially on a Congo where basically every other insert is colored already.

Black & white cabs on a Congo are not a big deal. They are "rarer" than the color cabs, but they are also much less desirable. If you had two similar condition Congo's right next to each other for the same price, one B&W and the other color, the color cab would be chosen much more often than the B&W cab. A vibrant green on black color Congo cab looks really nice.

#11 9 years ago

thanks everyone for the info!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Looks good except for the diamonds. IMHO the best place ever in all of pinball to use an LED instead of a regular bulb is using cool whites in the diamond inserts on a Congo. It looks absolutely perfect. White LEDs can be awesome. I don't understand why some people have to add random colors anywhere the insert is clear. Clear/white can be ok, especially on a Congo where basically every other insert is colored already.

You're right. It was a Cointaker kit, and they use blue. Think I'll switch over to cool white and see if I like it better. Thanks for the honest opinion!

#13 9 years ago

There were no left over cabinets, just left over kits that were put in new cabinets.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're right. It was a Cointaker kit, and they use blue. Think I'll switch over to cool white and see if I like it better. Thanks for the honest opinion!

Maybe that is why. I didn't know they used blue in their kits. Could be worse I suppose, I have seen purple. I'm sure you will be happy with the switch. Putting cool white LEDs under the diamonds and seeing the results is literally what made me want to LED my games. So awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-congo-version and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.