(Topic ID: 293222)

Special awards replay or EB when at home? Whats the consensus?

By Haymaker

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by skquinn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but is it considered cool to have Special award extra ball instead of replay on your own games? Don't give me any of that "its your game set it up however you want" gobbleygook either. I'm fully on the 3 ball, score thresholds award replay, train. I try to keep things factory as possible. Right now, I have my games all set to the factory Special award= replay, but on the rare occasion I actually get a special I think to myself it would probably be better as an EB. I mean...its special! It should award you something useful in a home environment (replay is great on location). What do you guys think? Is this "frowned upon" like score based EB's or do we let that one slide?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I program all my games as Special = EB as that seems like a nice award for home play. However if I'm hosting a tournament event I then set EB = None as well as setting Tournament Mode = Yes. That way all EB (including Specials) are nullified for competitive play.
    But then with Covid plus the OPL coming to an end it hasn't been an issue for a while anyway.

I agree, if I was hosting a serious tournament, special should be a replay, but normally its just me or me and my buddies goofing around

#17 2 years ago

I'm thinking about changing it to EB on my getaway and my deadpool. I guess points is not a bad option either but I still kind of feel like special should be SPECIAL. I don't want the games too easy because I like my skills to be somewhat honed for location play, and on the off chance I find myself in a tourney situation I don't want to be caught completely off guard, especially if its a game I am familiar with.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, you don't get a "bunch", you get one (I guess that could be considered a small bunch).
    And since the Special is only collected on an out-lane, it's really more like a kickback. Yes, you get an extra ball, but you have to lose the current ball to get it.

Honestly thats a good point when the way to collect specials is via an outlane drain. Of course, a lot of games might award it to you as a mystery award but generally thats very rare. I know getaway is like this.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

If this is your desire, then I would have neither Special nor point thresholds award EBs. Stick with the EBs that the game designer intended -- and if those feel too far out of reach, many modern pins allow you to adjust the difficulty of qualifying/earning EBs from skillful play.
    If you still want to get something meaningful to the game in a free play home environment (and not just the audible knock), then set Special to award points.

I can earn extra balls just fine but specials are pretty darn rare. The games are pretty much designed for a lot of location play so it makes sense from that standpoint to have a special award replay (on location) but it seems like that should translate to extra ball in a home environment. Wheres CrazyLevi when you need him?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-awards-replay-or-eb-when-at-home-whats-the-consensus-?tu=Haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.