(Topic ID: 293222)

Special awards replay or EB when at home? Whats the consensus?

By Haymaker

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by skquinn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but is it considered cool to have Special award extra ball instead of replay on your own games? Don't give me any of that "its your game set it up however you want" gobbleygook either. I'm fully on the 3 ball, score thresholds award replay, train. I try to keep things factory as possible. Right now, I have my games all set to the factory Special award= replay, but on the rare occasion I actually get a special I think to myself it would probably be better as an EB. I mean...its special! It should award you something useful in a home environment (replay is great on location). What do you guys think? Is this "frowned upon" like score based EB's or do we let that one slide?

#2 5 months ago

I am in the same boat and generally like to keep my games as close to factory as possible unless there is some setting that doesn't make sense to me. I usually set specials to replay or points if the game allows it and it's not too gamebreaking where one player getting a special would create a huge advantage. I like that way personally because then there's some incentive for actually lighting it and collecting it without a potentially gamebreaking extra ball for a player.

#3 5 months ago

Depends how you get the special. If it's a skillful thing to light and collect, I'll make it an EB or points. If it's more of a random like (like an outlane or mystery award) then I'll leave it on replay

#4 5 months ago

EB, absolutely.

#5 5 months ago

If the game is really hard to even come close to rolling over, EB or points makes a lot of sense. But normally I like specials better. I like to change it up sometimes, set it one way for a long time and then change it.

#6 5 months ago

I program all my games as Special = EB as that seems like a nice award for home play. However if I'm hosting a tournament event I then set EB = None as well as setting Tournament Mode = Yes. That way all EB (including Specials) are nullified for competitive play.

But then with Covid plus the OPL coming to an end it hasn't been an issue for a while anyway.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I program all my games as Special = EB as that seems like a nice award for home play. However if I'm hosting a tournament event I then set EB = None as well as setting Tournament Mode = Yes. That way all EB (including Specials) are nullified for competitive play.
    But then with Covid plus the OPL coming to an end it hasn't been an issue for a while anyway.

I agree, if I was hosting a serious tournament, special should be a replay, but normally its just me or me and my buddies goofing around

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

... mean...its special! It should award you something useful in a home environment (replay is great on location). What do you guys think? Is this "frowned upon"...

On a modern game its super weak sauce.
    The only thing weaker is the justification that since yiu are not playing in location you not rewarded enough

#9 5 months ago

First choice, special awards points; 2nd choice, EB; last choice replay.

#10 5 months ago

For me it depends on the game.

For MBr, I have it set to Extra Ball, as getting the special is a skill thing (for collecting 3 instruments).
    For WH20, I have it set to Replay, because the only Special is off of the random (Mystery Canyon) award.
    Foe EBD, I have it set to Replay, because there are so many Specials possible, that I'd have way too many Extra Balls.

I'd prefer it if you could set it to a number of points that would be worthwhile (i.e. worth making an effort to obtain), but usually the "points" setting is some value like 10,000 (making it a waste of time).

#11 5 months ago

I have the ball save set as long as possible, extra balls enabled and generally easy settings. The idea is to have fun playing the game, so if these things make the game more fun for most people, I like it. It's my machine and I can set it up for my personal uses. If I want to experience tournament settings, I can change those things on the machine pretty easily, which I do from time to time.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

For MBr, I have it set to Extra Ball, as getting the special is a skill thing (for collecting 3 instruments).

Is it with a bunch of EBs?

#13 5 months ago

All EBs are shut off and specials are replay.

#14 5 months ago

Extra Ball !

-Mike

#15 5 months ago

Special = replay
    Love that sound

#16 5 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Is it with a bunch of EBs?

Well, you don't get a "bunch", you get one (I guess that could be considered a small bunch).

And since the Special is only collected on an out-lane, it's really more like a kickback. Yes, you get an extra ball, but you have to lose the current ball to get it.

#17 5 months ago

I'm thinking about changing it to EB on my getaway and my deadpool. I guess points is not a bad option either but I still kind of feel like special should be SPECIAL. I don't want the games too easy because I like my skills to be somewhat honed for location play, and on the off chance I find myself in a tourney situation I don't want to be caught completely off guard, especially if its a game I am familiar with.

#18 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, you don't get a "bunch", you get one (I guess that could be considered a small bunch).

Oh so the other EBs are turned off in the game then? There's only the one for a special?

#19 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

And since the Special is only collected on an out-lane, it's really more like a kickback. Yes, you get an extra ball, but you have to lose the current ball to get it.

Honestly thats a good point when the way to collect specials is via an outlane drain. Of course, a lot of games might award it to you as a mystery award but generally thats very rare. I know getaway is like this.

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I try to keep things factory as possible.

If this is your desire, then I would have neither Special nor point thresholds award EBs. Stick with the EBs that the game designer intended -- and if those feel too far out of reach, many modern pins allow you to adjust the difficulty of qualifying/earning EBs from skillful play.

If you still want to get something meaningful to the game in a free play home environment (and not just the audible knock), then set Special to award points.

#21 5 months ago

EB for me now, was replay for the first 2 years of ownership though. If you want to include that EB award in the notes of your reported high scores on Pinside, that's cool. Otherwise, if high scores are not reported it might not matter one way or another.

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

If you still want to get something meaningful to the game in a free play home environment (and not just the audible knock), then set Special to award points.

My complaint with this, is that usually the "points" award for a Special is so low as to be effectively meaningless. When a good score is in the billions, awarding like 50,000 points for a Special is just silly - I'd rather have the audible knock.

#23 5 months ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

If this is your desire, then I would have neither Special nor point thresholds award EBs. Stick with the EBs that the game designer intended -- and if those feel too far out of reach, many modern pins allow you to adjust the difficulty of qualifying/earning EBs from skillful play.

I can earn extra balls just fine but specials are pretty darn rare. The games are pretty much designed for a lot of location play so it makes sense from that standpoint to have a special award replay (on location) but it seems like that should translate to extra ball in a home environment. Wheres CrazyLevi when you need him?

#24 5 months ago

For me personally, Special is points and replay is extra ball. But limiting the replay to two only as it makes for too long of a game.

#25 5 months ago

I have all my machines set to award extra balls for special and replay, one replay per game. Other than that, all my settings are factory.

What's the point of a replay on a free play machine? Just to hear the knocker go off?

Put an (*) next to my scores if you want, I guess...

#26 5 months ago

I go with whatever the default settings are. I'll set replay and special to award points if its an option but that's it, no extra balls awarded outside of whatever the default settings are.

#27 5 months ago
    Quoted from Redwizard000:

What's the point of a replay on a free play machine? Just to hear the knocker go off?

Even though I'm not paying to play at home, yes, I still shoot for specials. One way I like to play is to start with x # of credits (usually 10) and see how long I can play/how many games I can play with the initial credits. Or trying to max the credits out (lots of people like to do this on EMs).

It's also a nostalgia thing, that's the way the games I played growing up played, so that's the way I have them set. I even have round keyed alike locks in all my keeper games, just like my local Supercade did.

1 week later
    #28 5 months ago

EB here

#30 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

MB gives an EB every time you get 3 monsters (after bash), mystery, and then Special too? Kind of a bunch.
    And you can always collect the Special during multiball, and not lose a ball.

#31 5 months ago

Personally I have replay set to Free Game=Zilch.

I want my own personal high scores to be comparable. The fact that replays autoadjust means you could get an EB for scoring 50mil, or it could take you until 400 mil to achieve the same EB. I know that I could set the replay to a fixed level, but like trying to get the replay value as high as possible by consistently good play.

How i set number of EBs changes depending on what game I'm playing. If there is a repeatable chance of EB (e.g. hit the ramp 6 times to light EB) I'll set it to 1 EB per game. If there are numerous different ways of getting EB (e.g. AIQ) I'll leave EBs as max as I want to have the opportunity to collect each different way an EB can be awarded.

Specials I set to EB. They're generally hard to get to and non-repeatable. I want a reward that merits the effort it took to get there.

In comp EB's turned off, Specials to points.

#32 5 months ago

Special all day
    even on free-play, nothing beats the sound of the (real) knocker

#33 4 months ago

EB is in Pinball’s DNA. It’s the first thing I look for when approaching a new game. Sorry not sorry. Lol

1 week later
    #34 4 months ago

For some games some settings make more sense than others. If I had a collection and I was hosting a tournament, I would set the game to novelty mode where both special and EB award points as that's really the only fair way to do it. Even plunging extra balls, the award of an extra ball may be more helpful to some players than others.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside