(Topic ID: 167632)

Speaking of expensive hobbies... Anyone own a set of Roland V-Drums?

By ghetoprobe

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1471633825-Parallel-Play-live (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).jpg
13939334_1069849896417820_8517392997894574081_n.jpg
TD11KVSet-large (resized).jpg
TD30KVSet-large (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pappyfromjersey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago

If you're finishing your basement, build a small drum room and soundproof it. Use mics to record. For the cost of the Roland kit, you can afford a reasonably-priced acoustic, mics, cables, and the material to build and soundproof the room.

I've owned a Roland set in the past, and I sold it after a year or so. There's nothing like an acoustic kit for sound and feel. I have two. There's a reason that 99% of stage shows and studio recordings are acoustic kits. Church kits may be the exception. I'm not counting double-bass triggered metal.

I know that the convenience of being able to play along with a track, or easily record the output of the kit, or change kits seem like huge advantages. They aren't in the long run. Once you realize that you don't really need to change kits that often, and the novelty wears off, you'll be stuck with an electronic-sounding kit that is hard to get rid of. Play a drum roll on the snare without any backing noise. Try to ride one of the crash cymbals hard.

Go watch a Tony Royster youtube video of him on a Roland kit. He plays fast, and you can hear the "trigger-ish" sounds as he plays. You can't get rid of that.

tl;dr: Get an acoustic kit.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

Hilarious! That's what I'm worried about!
You're right though, I will definitely go put some time on the V-Drums before spending the money. If they sound too electronic or if they don't play right I may have to go down the soundproofing/isolated/acoustic route.

I've always felt that V-Drums are more of a novelty, allowing quiet practice with the feel and semi-sound of an acoustic kit. If you already have the real kit, then the V-Drums aren't a terrible idea.

Anything that encourages practice is great in my book.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

And that's exactly how I'm looking at this. I bought a new house (to me) back in '09 and my set has been stacked up in a corner since we moved in. Every time I thought about setting them up I'd think "eh, I don't want to piss the neighbors off", or "the kids are about to go to bed" and here we are 7 years later and they haven't been played a single time since moving in.
I'm hoping if I go top-of-the-line with the TD-30KV set then they'll be close enough in sound and feel to the real thing that it will fill the drumming void. Here's hoping!

This breaks my heart.

The thought of stacking my drums for 7 years is impossible to imagine. Sorry, kids. Dad's playing.

1471633825-Parallel-Play-live (resized).jpg1471633825-Parallel-Play-live (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pappyfromjersey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaking-of-expensive-hobbies-anyone-own-a-set-of-roland-v-drums?tu=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.