Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by jj44114
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 32 days ago

I have a Williams Blackout and Black Knight that I wanted to replace the speakers in. I looked at the manual as saw the manual calls for a 6.5 inch 8 ohm speaker. I couldn't find them from the usual pinball parts stores so I found some and replaced them. Sound is clear and better, but both of the old speakers are 4 ohm and identical. I doubt these have been replaced but maybe, do you all think it matters that the new speaker is 8 ohms and not 4? I understand over the years non original parts get substituted, but both old speakers are identical. Or, could Williams have substituted 4 ohm speakers because a supplier ran out? I'm curious what you all think and are the machines okay with the 8 ohm speakers or could I fry the sound board?
Russ

#2 32 days ago

I would replace them with whatever you pulled from the game. I would think a 4 ohm speaker would be less stress on an old sound board than 8 ohms.

#3 32 days ago

Depends on how they are wired, in series or parallel. Two 4 ohm speakers wired in series gives 8 ohms at the amp. Two wired in parallel gives two ohms at the amp, which is very low and will put a lot of stress on the amp. I think most games of this era specify 8 ohms at the amp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 7,599.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside