WCS Soundboard Connect (resized).jpg
IJ Naked Backbox (resized).jpg
IJ and WCS Schematic (resized).JPG
IJ and WCS Impedance (resized).JPG
IJ and WCS SPL (resized).JPG
back panel front (resized).jpg
back panel back (resized).jpg
costs.pdf (PDF preview)
IJ and WCS backbox SPL.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

It's been 6 years since I have been back. Life got in the way. But this is a thread that I will start to walk through the redesigning of Loudspeakers in that are used in pinball machines. I have 90's version of machines. I will leave out the designs that have external speakers since that is already well covered elsewhere on the internet.

My information will come from Goldeneye, WCS (Bally) and Indiana Jones (Williams) machines.

As a reference I have been doing loudspeaker design since 1973 and do this as a side business for custom work for business and home applications.

First I will start to post testing of said above machines.

Impedance curve for the backbox of IJ.

Indiana_Jones_backbox_imp (resized).JPGIndiana_Jones_backbox_imp (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

will be watching. always would like the games to sound better.

#3 3 years ago

Watching too, I always put better speakers in. Custom.
I recently added RoboWar and Robocop to my collection and they make 90’s wpc machines sound like crap with standard speakers in.

#5 3 years ago

I'm curious to read about your testing and thoughts for sure... but most interested in seeing how your thoughts on speaker design can help overcome the lack of quality of the sounds at the source. My uneducated inclination is that at the end of the day there has to be a limit to how good it can sound due to that poor/low quality of the recordings.

#6 3 years ago

Here are Indiana Jones and WCS on same graph. Similar curves but resonance peak for IJ much higher.

Source material is also a concern. As I said first to step through and improve where is there first then deal with the source issue.

I saw on this board a few times about references to impedance as a single digit number on the back of the driver. Clearly over the frequency band it is not constant. Also my understanding is the power amplifiers on the machines are designed to run with a 4 ohm load.

Indiana_Jones_and_WCS.PDFIndiana_Jones_and_WCS.PDF
#7 3 years ago

The redesign process that I will do is :

Characterize the current system both electrically and acoustically.

First is to examine the backbox and down firing speakers both impedance and also an pink noise rta spl measurement at the distance where the user of the pinball will be standing.

Measure the lower box to determine volume and also how "leaky" it is with all the perforations in the playfield and all the leaking around the seams. This will affect mostly the efficiency of the system.

After that I will then start to model the environment with "LEAP" and look for a better drivers. to replace the current models.

Install new drivers with new crossover designed. Test the system and see if some "tweeks" are needed for phase response mostly.

#8 3 years ago

Wow,I can say for sure that Spooky sure doesn't have a clue on this with the new R&MBSE!! You should educate them as well!!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from colofan:

The redesign process that I will do is :
Characterize the current system both electrically and acoustically.
First is to examine the backbox and down firing speakers both impedance and also an pink noise rta spl measurement at the distance where the user of the pinball will be standing.
Measure the lower box to determine volume and also how "leaky" it is with all the perforations in the playfield and all the leaking around the seams. This will affect mostly the efficiency of the system.
After that I will then start to model the environment with "LEAP" and look for a better drivers. to replace the current models.
Install new drivers with new crossover designed. Test the system and see if some "tweeks" are needed for phase response mostly.

What will be an outcome? A custom speaker set and/or rheostat and/or built-in amplifier?

#10 3 years ago

It's only pinball. This isn't Altec-Lansing's "Voice of the Theater" speakers.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It's only pinball. This isn't Altec-Lansing's "Voice of the Theater" speakers.

The difference between factory setup and entry level speaker/rheostat is day and night (even with original soundboard).
Good sound is part of the fun.

#12 3 years ago

PinWoofer has solved these problems, and more! You'll get the best possible sound out of your WPC title with separate backbox and cabinet leveling, tone and equalization controls, auto muting (to get rid of the hum / buzz) and speaker upgrades. Plenty of power to play it loud, or play it clean at low volume levels with ample dynamic range to hear new things in your track:

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-5-25in-wpc-super-kit/

Easy to install in just a few minutes with detailed instructions.

DSCN2966 (resized).JPGDSCN2966 (resized).JPG
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

PinWoofer has solved these problems, and more! You'll get the best possible sound out of your WPC title with separate backbox and cabinet leveling, tone and equalization controls, auto muting (to get rid of the hum / buzz) and speaker upgrades. Plenty of power to play it loud, or play it clean at low volume levels with ample dynamic range to hear new things in your track:
https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-5-25in-wpc-super-kit/
Easy to install in just a few minutes with detailed instructions.
[quoted image]

Let's see the results by colofan. Hopefully he will come up with much cheaper solution.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

PinWoofer has solved these problems, and more!

If only we could solve the problem of people showing up in creator's threads to advertise their products. You got anything for that?

#15 3 years ago

Measurement at 48 inches which is the approximate distance player would be standing from backbox. This is for WCS game.

This was with white noise input and using RTA for the frequency spectra. Speaker was driven from an 50watt instrument amplifier, Amplitude was chosen to be 50 dB above background noise.

WCS_Backbox_SPL (resized).pngWCS_Backbox_SPL (resized).png
#16 3 years ago

Smoothing was done with 1/24 octave setting. Not a very smooth curve but for speakers made in the early 1990's not all that unusual for lower end drivers.

Maybe someone has the frequency curve for the amplifier on the sound board. When I do the tests on the lower frequency driver we can meld the curves together to get a system view.

#17 3 years ago

Following

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If only we could solve the problem of people showing up in creator's threads to advertise their products. You got anything for that?

Exactly -

Following your thread colofan

#19 3 years ago

As an example of what I will be doing is to eventually get to a simulation of audio output from a pinball game based on the environment the player is experiencing.

Since an earlier poster stated they already have a solution I will briefly simulate with the data I have on this pinwoofer solution from an acoustic perspective.

The drivers used are a Goldwood GW-8024 (Based on data from a spec sheet on Parts Express website) for bass in cabinet and the Backbox speakers are Pyle PL53BL. It should be noted that the Pyle typical for mobile application has very incomplete spec sheet since it provides not enough information as to on-axis and off-axis performance. An example I provided above about Impedance being a single number and sensitivity is a single number.

Only way to simulate the Pyle drivers is to get one and test it to find out what it really is.

I am going to provide the layout for the simulation and then the SPL output from the Goldwood driver at the players location.

Input power was 2 watts which a 2.83volt input form the amplifier. No electronic filtering is applied.

The 2 curves for spl is on-axis (red) which shows the diffraction effects of the cabinet. The blue curve is a power response which is the long-term(100ms) response which is more representative of constant output from the driver versus the transient response from on-axis provides.

On final note is the cost of both Drivers(Pyle sold as a pair) ; Goldwood is $25.96 , Pyle $18.98 prices from Parts Express

Goldwood_Pin_spl_sim.PDFGoldwood_Pin_spl_sim.PDFSimulation diagram (resized).jpgSimulation diagram (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago

I'm not an expert but I know a couple things. I always see these car audio speakers put in with these speaker kits and I don't get it. I feel like with pinball, a full range driver with high sensitivity would be ideal.

Maybe things change a bit when you add a real amp into the equation, but even still probably a co-ax is all you need. Pinball machines are not covering a wide range of frequencies. You're not gaining anything by adding extra tweeters and whatnot, but you certainly lose a bit of performance (reduced cone size, blocked sound waves, ect). I'm sure size is a limiting factor as well, because pinball sizes are much more common in automotive applications. I imagine its also easier to sell a product as "high end" when it looks fancy compared to a standard (but quality) paper cone speaker, even if the performance is actually worse.

One of the main reasons I've never invested in aftermarket pinball speaker systems. I am intrigued by a plug and play amplifier options where you maybe supply your own speakers, instead of marked up low end car audio speakers.

We also can't forget that the source audio is very low quality. There is room for improvement, but without mods like a pinsound board, you could have the worlds finest speakers but it'll only ever sound as good as the garbage coming from the source.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Meh...I don't get why PinWoofer's post is so offensive. Dan (PinWoofer) is a great guy with a great product. He is extremely low key, passionate and knowledgeable. This thread is clearly about analysis/design, NOT a "competing" product. Since PinWoofer has been in development for several years with great results, at a minimum, colofan can shoot high and see how his audio design work stacks up against PinWoofer (the best audio mod that's come out in many years). If it's as good (or better) for less $$, it's good for the community.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't get why PinWoofer's post is so offensive.

Because

Quoted from snaroff:

This thread is clearly about analysis/design,

and PinWoofer ’s post is about selling Pinwoofers.

#23 3 years ago

Hey guys - we certainly did not intend to over step - please, continue the creative discussion and we'll leave the thread. This topic is about the new ideas.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Meh...I don't get why PinWoofer's post is so offensive. Dan (PinWoofer) is a great guy with a great product. He is extremely low key, passionate and knowledgeable. This thread is clearly about analysis/design, NOT a "competing" product.

Then maybe he could have contributed with his analysis and findings... and not just "I already have the answer... buy this.."

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Then maybe he could have contributed with his analysis and findings... and not just "I already have the answer... buy this.."

I get it...if people want to have a thin skin, knock yourselves out!

All I'm saying is Dan *isn't* a rabid self-promoter...he's a good egg, and people shouldn't get bent out of shape. That's all.

If the op were selling a product, I would totally agree with you and others. The op is doing research and Dan is building/shipping product. Whatever...no big deal, since Dan has recognized the sensitivity. Fact is, when I was reading this thread, I thought about mentioning PinWoofer (since I have PinWoofer installed in many of my games).

#26 3 years ago

New impedance curves. First graph is the backbox of Goldeneye. Since it is stereo tested both speakers independently.

Second Graph is the impedance of all three woofers in there respective cabinets.

Goldeneye Backbox imp (resized).JPGGoldeneye Backbox imp (resized).JPGWoofers_impedance (resized).JPGWoofers_impedance (resized).JPG
#27 3 years ago

Taking a closer look at Goldeneye speakers. The natural resonance of the backbox speakers are 727 Hz and the woofer is 100Hz.

From an efficiency you typically do not have much output from a driver below resonance. Thus the crossover point is this setup means that the woofer goes up to at least 800Hz. The bad of this is sound is pretty directional above 100Hz which means the audio will shift in listening in this range. Another bad is woofer of the size of 8 inch has breakup modes that causes non-linear response to occur. This is more of a mid-woofer since below 100 Hz is not really there in output. I will be doing SPL measurements next.

Goldeneye_impedance.JPGGoldeneye_impedance.JPG
#28 3 years ago

WCS and Indiana Jones are mono. My understanding is though that they do a electronic crossover for the two different amplifiers which I confirmed off of the schematic. Again I will be doing SPL test in situ. Again though the woofer resonance is around 100hz which acoustically is more mid-bass region audio wise.

Indiana_Jones_impedance (resized).JPGIndiana_Jones_impedance (resized).JPGWCS_impedance (resized).JPGWCS_impedance (resized).JPG
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

What will be an outcome? A custom speaker set and/or rheostat and/or built-in amplifier?

Yes a custom design with all the details on how the engineering occurred. Best bang for buck. Outcome is to understand what the current system can do and what are the advantages on changing/adding parts. Big improvements can happen without a major investment.

Understanding the home environment where the games are being played. Like watching a movie audio is an important part of enjoying the experience of playing.

At the beginning it is capturing what the system is doing and then evaluate on next steps.

1 week later
#30 3 years ago

I know that mostly new back box drivers have centered on 5 1/4 inch sized co-axial drivers. I took measurements of my machines of the grill size hole.

Goldeneye about 3 5/8 inches in diameter which is roughly 92mm
Indiana Jones about 4 1/2 inches in diameter which is roughly 114mm
World Cup Soccer about 3 3/4 inches in diameter which is roughly 95 mm

The diaphragm of the speaker cone should not really be larger than the grill hole to not interfere with the upper midrange frequencies. The dispersion pattern of a driver especially in off-axis is correlated to diaphragm size and frequency.

A car 5 1/4 speaker has a working diaphragm size 113 mm. This would be okay for IJ but two large for the other games.

The desire for larger speakers is bass response is better. However based on my impedance measurements the need below 100 Hz might not be needed.

If someone knows what the frequency response from the games amplifiers that would be useful. If no one has that data I will measure it during game play and will look at the schematics to see what the filters they put in the inpuy to the output amplifiers.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

amazing post.

2 weeks later
#32 3 years ago

Slight delay because of holiday.

Next up this week will be test spl of Goldeneye system using pink noise and instrument microphone.

Going to be installing replacement backbox speakers with Dayton Audio CX120-8 4" Coaxial Driver with 3/4" Silk tweeter. This is a tweeter driver mounted co-linear in driver. Frequency response is on paper proper sensitivity to match current driver mounted.

Focus of woofer(not sub-woofer) selection will be aimed looking a pro-drivers because they have higher sensitivity, this is accomplished through a lighter cone mass and larger motor. This also drives up the Vas however considering how large the lower box not a problem with pinball machines that are solid state. Looking in the 40-50 Hz natural resonance (Fs) though I do not have data as to the frequency response needed for a game.

#33 3 years ago

Thanks for the thread, great insight and analysis - following

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from colofan:

Slight delay because of holiday.
Next up this week will be test spl of Goldeneye system using pink noise and instrument microphone.
Going to be installing replacement backbox speakers with Dayton Audio CX120-8 4" Coaxial Driver with 3/4" Silk tweeter. This is a tweeter driver mounted co-linear in driver. Frequency response is on paper proper sensitivity to match current driver mounted.
Focus of woofer(not sub-woofer) selection will be aimed looking a pro-drivers because they have higher sensitivity, this is accomplished through a lighter cone mass and larger motor. This also drives up the Vas however considering how large the lower box not a problem with pinball machines that are solid state. Looking in the 40-50 Hz natural resonance (Fs) though I do not have data as to the frequency response needed for a game.

I really like where this is headed. The Dayton speaker is a great choice although I am worried a little about the sensitivity being so low on it. Much better than the junk Pyle and Pyramid that a lot of the aftermarket companies use I think though. If you can push a little more juice to the speakers this is definitely going to be a killer setup.

I like the idea of a pro audio woofer as well. This is right in line with a lot of my theories but I have been not willing to sink the money into to test, and I don't have the equipment or level of knowledge as you. Please keep us posted, this is a great thread for audio nerds!

#35 3 years ago

3 weeks later
#36 3 years ago

I am having discussions with Misco company about considering a low frequency driver as a straight replacement for the OEM in the lower cabinet. Both 8 and 6 1/2 inch sizes. More of a vintage suspension system that would improve efficiency but with modern materials and magnetic motor.

This would need the large space thus not designed around mobile application which drivers are designed with a very small space.

In speaker parameters (Vas) will be a critical value for good performance in pinball machines. An example of a design like this is JBL Pro 2235H, though a 15 inch driver the lightweight cone (mms) and large magnetic motor gives a great lowend performance down into the 30-40 Hz range.

1 year later
#37 2 years ago

Really sorry I got delayed. Cancer kind of slows you down.

Back and kicking in to redesign and starting with my IJ game first.

Included a schematic for the speakers. Also included the impedance I am concern of the range 250-600 Hz with it dipping below 4 ohms.

Is the power amplifer Williams okay or do I need to pad this up?

impedance dual dayton audio cx120-8.pdfimpedance dual dayton audio cx120-8.pdfschematic dual dayton audio cx120-8.pdfschematic dual dayton audio cx120-8.pdf
#38 2 years ago

Below is the CNC pdf I created in Vcarve pro for the back panel of IJ. Yes it has the extra Jackpot cutouts,

Backbox cnc IJ.pdfBackbox cnc IJ.pdf
#39 2 years ago

Crossover for backbox goldeneye stereo version. Using Dayton audio cx120-8 drivers.

Goldeneye crossover.pdfGoldeneye crossover.pdf
#40 2 years ago

The 2 ohm resistor on the tweeters for both crossovers is level reduction of the unit which on-axis is a little "hot".
When I get them installed I will test them to see what the level should be.

Also double checked the power amplifier chip and the impedance dips to 3.5 ohm should not be an issue. output level for 1 watt on the simulation seems pretty solid. See image which is each drivers woofer and tweeter and combine output 1 watt at 1 meter.

IJ and WCS backbox SPL.pdfIJ and WCS backbox SPL.pdf
#41 2 years ago

Link to the mechanical changes to be done DIY for Williams games is

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

As I get into the Goldeneye for Sega seems a more straight forward part replacement.

I am making my own replacement panels for the speakers using 12mm baltic birch plywood which is pricey right now.

#42 2 years ago

Initial costs for IJ game.

costs.pdfcosts.pdf
#43 2 years ago

Back side of IJ panel ready to paint.

back panel back (resized).jpgback panel back (resized).jpg
#44 2 years ago

IJ Front CNC panel

back panel front (resized).jpgback panel front (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#45 1 year ago

Finalized the designed and installed the changes.

Since the 6 1/2 inch woofer from Dayton Audio was of lower sensitivity I need to change the output going to the backbox speakers. I also turned up the volume from 15 to 23 get the same output.

I used an Lpad to find the right values for the crossover.

IJ and WCS Impedance (resized).JPGIJ and WCS Impedance (resized).JPGIJ and WCS SPL (resized).JPGIJ and WCS SPL (resized).JPGIJ and WCS Schematic (resized).JPGIJ and WCS Schematic (resized).JPG
#46 1 year ago

Here are picts first is the backbox without grill.

IJ Naked Backbox (resized).jpgIJ Naked Backbox (resized).jpg
#47 1 year ago

Now the connection to the soundboard.
I upgraded to 18Ga wire for both the feed to the crossover and the cabinet woofer.

Lowering the signal loss on such small wiring.

WCS Soundboard Connect (resized).jpgWCS Soundboard Connect (resized).jpg
#48 1 year ago

Now for crossover pictures. also I used a terminal strip between the soundboard and the crossover if I wanted to remove anything easily.

Crossover (resized).jpgCrossover (resized).jpgWCS Junction2 (resized).jpgWCS Junction2 (resized).jpg
#49 1 year ago

What the back of the panel looks like loaded with speakers.

WCS Backbox inside (resized).jpgWCS Backbox inside (resized).jpg
#50 1 year ago

Finally the WCS look with the grills that I customize with a template I created.

WCS Backbox complete (resized).jpgWCS Backbox complete (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 12.95
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-re-design-for-pinball?hl=barr993 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.