(Topic ID: 210363)

Speaker Light Kits now available for Stern SPIKE 2 games! The Beatles added!

By DugFreez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingBW
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Acrylic Designs (resized).jpg
MockLCDresize (resized).jpg
LDPcropresize (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
IMAD (resized).jpg
47E46409-B533-48B6-9FA7-640B72049A68 (resized).png
EE2D3277-FC8A-4DF5-916C-BB1FD60AEBDC (resized).jpeg
IMG_0078 (resized).jpg
IMG_0077 (resized).jpg
IMG_0076 (resized).jpg
IMG_0075 (resized).jpg
Speaker Light Kit (resized).jpg
89f6ddb248576f80794e737e759bee5d4bec5aa7_jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_20180208_235314709 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
brace-yourselves-spike-2-speaker-light-kit-copies-are-coming (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

2/20/2018

Hello,

I've had the Speaker Light Kits for the Stern SPIKE 2 system games available on my website for a couple of weeks, but I hadn't made an announcement thread about them yet.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Type-11.html

It has been a busy year for me working on these new light kits and the new speaker panel type on the SPIKE 2 games was quite a change. Any other game changes that had been made, that concerned my light kits, since I started making them in late 2012 had been handled pretty quickly. I believe I had the first SPIKE light kit ready (WWE) before they were even being delivered to customers, but the big changes in SPIKE 2 took longer for me to work out than I would have expected. So it feels good to finally have them on the website for sale and see customers enjoying and posting pictures of them.

To be honest, I still feel like I could have used more time to work on some other additions to the SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits. I do have "Replacement Speaker Plates for SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit use" which should be finished in the next few weeks. This is not a required item, but it is something that I think users of aftermarket speakers may want, to make their installation easier. I want my Speaker Light Kits to work well and as easily as possible with other mods so a buyer doesn't have to make a decision to have one mod over another.

I have also just added acrylic designs suitable for Batman 66, Aerosmith, Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy to my website.

I hope to keep this thread updated for a while as new things are readied for release. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM, email me at [email protected] or to ask here. I will do my best to answer any questions, help with any issues or concerns and give any tips that I can. Just as a quick tip if you are interested in purchasing....read the install instructions and info before ordering so you know what is involved. The SPIKE 2 install instructions, acrylic design mounting tips and aftermarket speaker information is linked to from the manuals page on my website:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Manuals.html

I have also recently added a sound activated RGB controller as an add-on accessory to my light kits ($10). The controller is custom made to easily work with any of my Speaker Light Kits so it has the same 2 output connection and longer output and remote eye wires as the standard RGB controller that is included with all of my Speaker Light Kits. You can read more details about it, along with my great sales pitch on it here:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Use-of-Sound-Activated-RGB-Controller.html

On an un-SPIKE 2 related note...I also have a new Historic US 66 (Mustang / Harley-Davidson) acrylic design I added reciently.

So thanks for reading and I hope people enjoy the new SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits from www.speakerlightkits.com

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

GotG square (resized).jpgGotG square (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mbarreira:

Hi Doug,
is there any pinball shop in Europe that is selling your kit for Star Wars Le?
thank you!
Miguel

European re-sellers of the SPIKE 2 kits might happen in the future, but at this time they are only being sold at www.speakerlightkits.com

I do ship first class international which is the lowest cost way to ship items internationally. Another strange thing when shipping first class international is the shipping cost is the same to ship 2 complete light kits as it is to ship 1. So doubling up on light kits will basically cut the international shipping cost in half.

#7 6 years ago

brace-yourselves-spike-2-speaker-light-kit-copies-are-coming (resized).jpgbrace-yourselves-spike-2-speaker-light-kit-copies-are-coming (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Not sure I'm a fan of the glare off the glass and I don't typically buy $250 pieces of invisiglass. How is it in person as far as glare?

All of my Speaker Light Kits (including these) have 8 levels of adjustable brightness via their 44 key remote control. As others have suggested, plastic glare guards do wonders and I'm sure the HD InvisaPDI glass should help.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Recently I installed the speaker light kit mod into my Stern Star Wars Premium pinball machine. The install was done quickly and not many tools were required. The speaker light mod does a nice job of improving the look of any pinball machine.
Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/03/04/mods-install-speaker-light-kit-install-spike-2-star-wars-premium-video-install/
Video Install :
» YouTube video

Nice video. I have never seen your YouTube channel before, but I look forward to checking out some more of your videos.

I recommend anyone buying a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit to check out the more in depth install instructions on my website.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/SPIKE_2_Install.pdf

2 months later
#21 5 years ago
Quoted from drewski28:

Are your acrylic designs on the exterior of the speaker box or in the interior behind the honey comb?

Wow...sorry for not seeing this sooner. The designs in the pictures are on the outside of the honeycomb grill area and after trying them many different ways myself....I can't imagine anyone thinking they look better behind the grills, so I think on the outside is the way to go.

#22 5 years ago

5/19/2018

I have just restocked quite a few acrylic designs that have been out of stock for awhile. So now everything is IN STOCK on the website.

Extra hex standoffs are now being included with each light kit. Holding things in place is really as tight as the hex posts or nuts on them need to be. Make sure everything is threaded on straight and don't over tighten them and there shouldn't be any issues.

I also added listing for Iron Maiden Pro, LE and Premium Speaker Light Kits to the website. The LE requires some factory spacers to be removed that are originally between the speakers and the factory speaker plates and that is described on the website when selecting Iron Maiden LE.

I am also working on acrylic designs suitable for Iron Maiden since the Pro, LE and Premium art packages have finally all been shown. I hope to have a couple of different designs to choose from soon.

I also still have my replacement speaker plates for Speaker Light Kit use coming. These should make the light kit install easier for people that have aftermarket speakers or wish to add aftermarket speakers in the future.

2 months later
#23 5 years ago

I just added a couple of new Acrylic Design sets to my website at www.speakerlightkits.com

If anyone would want these (or any of my acrylic designs) in a different color or type of acrylic, customization is no extra charge as long as you are also buying a Speaker Light Kit from me, pre-pay for your order and are patient as it may take an additional 1 - 3 weeks to get the custom order to you. If you are interested in doing that, please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what design you would like and in what type of acrylic you would like it made.

Thanks,

IMAD (resized).jpgIMAD (resized).jpg
1 month later
#24 5 years ago

NEW ARRIVAL!

I now have Speaker Light Kits listed for Deadpool (LE, Pro & Premium) on my website. I will have a dual layered DP acrylic design ready for sale soon (already listed on my Acrylic Designs page) and hope to have another design or two on the way.
th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#25 5 years ago

Added over 6 years ago:

The Lil Deadpool Acrylic Design has arrived.

4 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Will be listed on my website soon for $25 a pair including mounting hardware. www.speakerlightkits.com

LDPcropresize (resized).jpgLDPcropresize (resized).jpgMockLCDresize (resized).jpgMockLCDresize (resized).jpg
1 month later
#27 5 years ago

I have added The Beatles to my Speaker Light Kits page. Light up those Vox amps.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Do you have kits that are compatible with aftermarket speakers yet or do you still need to cut the speakers foam?

My Spike 2 light kits are 100% compatible with aftermarket speakers. The GotG picture on my profile (and homepage) is of a game with FF aftermarket speakers installed. No reason to not use or to cut the speaker foam (I've never even tried cutting the foam).

What you will need to do is make sure the aftermarket speakers do NOT have a spacer rings attached on the front of them. They can be ordered from Flipper Fidelity without those spacer rings attached to the front of them or the spacer rings can be removed:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/SPIKE_Speakers.pdf

After that is done, One of two things will also need to be done if the speaker you are using has tweeters that extend out past the speakers mounting area: The bars will have to be cut out of the holes in the factory speaker plates OR you will have to purchase a set of SPIKE 2 replacement speaker plates from me. These replacement speaker plates can only be used with my SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits and they completely replace the factory speaker plates. They not only have the bars removed so the speaker holes are open for the extended tweeters. They also center the speaker holes in the speaker panel's honeycomb grill area as well as adding two extra mounting points for each speaker (giving each speaker 4 mounting studs instead of the 2 from the standard factory speaker plates).

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Upgraded-Speakers-Type-11.html

Of course if the aftermarket speakers you are using don't have the spacer rings on them and they do not have tweeters that extend past their mounting points....nothing special will have to be done at all. They will mount with the SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits just as the factor speakers do.

If you are interested in the Replacement SPIKE 2 Speaker Plates, they are $17.50 a pair. I do not have them listed on my website yet, but PM or e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know, as I do have them available now.

I hope this helps,

Doug (www.SpeakerLightKits.com)

4 months later
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Does anyone have a video of the sound activated speaker light kits they can show me? Considering either it or the new multi colored kits for Iron Maiden.
Thanks

I don't have and haven't seen any videos of anyone using the sound activated controllers on a SPIKE 2 game....but as you could probably tell by my sales pitch on my website:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Use-of-Sound-Activated-RGB-Controller.html

...I'm generally not very impressed by them. With a game's music, callouts and coil noise....it is usually the equivalent of turning a standard RGB controller on JUMP7 and cranking up the speed.

Having said that....the sound controllers for the upcoming Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit work the same way and are still triggered by all of the games noises, BUT....since the light strips can be lit different colors at the same time (with some bulbs being lit while others are unlit), it makes for a much more impressive effect.

I am going to the Ohio Pinball Show this weekend and I may take a deluxe light kit and pop a sound activated controller in it and get some video. Of course a noisy pinball show is only going to exasperate the issues these have with being triggered by everything, but it should also do a good job of showing off how cool they can look in their deluxe iteration.

Don't be fooled by any videos you see of the standard sound activated controllers working in a pin when it is just in it's attract "juke box mode" (like AC/DC and Metallica). This is just a cheap tactic to make them look like they work way better than they actually do. I would call it deceptive marketing at the least. Only when you see one of the sound controllers working during game play will you get a true idea of how they actually look when playing. Having said that....a person could always turn the sound controller to a sound activated effect if listening to music in the attract mode and switch it to some other lighting effect during gameplay if you would choose to, as most sound controllers also have a more limited amount of non-sound activated modes and colors.

#37 5 years ago

I hope to have the Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits on my website for sale by May 1st. They will work in any Stern SPIKE 2 games (besides Batman 66 SLE...because of that models speaker panel bats) and the light kit will be $85. The Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits have completely different electronic components than my Standard SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits. It uses +5v DC and requires a lot of current, so it includes it's own power supply that hooks up at the games Bill Validator connection instead of using the game's power after it has hit the game's power supply or boards. I will be selling power splitters for this hook up location in case a person is using a Bill Validator or any other mod that may connect there (PinGraffix PowerBladez are the only mod I have heard of using this connection). International games will also have a different power connection since they do not have the Bill Validator connection on them from the factory. Their connection will not require any additional parts from the kit for North America games, just a slightly different AC power cable that goes to the included power supply. Both International and North American kits will be wired to power on and off with the game automatically without any additional components.

I do have new acrylic designs on the way suitable for The Munsters and The Beatles and I hope to have them added soon also. The black in The Munsters "portraits" design is actually clear and what you are seeing as black is the dark material behind the designs.

Acrylic Designs (resized).jpgAcrylic Designs (resized).jpg
1 month later
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Does anyone have a video of the sound activated speaker light kits they can show me? Considering either it or the new multi colored kits for Iron Maiden.
Thanks

I finally have a short video posted of the Deluxe Sound Activated Controller being used with the Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits in an Aerosmith. The controller is set to it's auto mode, which cycles through each of it's 5 sound activated modes. This controller also has 20 non-sound activated modes, 5 levels of brightness and 51 different static colors.

Just like every other sound activated controller used in a pinball machine....EVERY sound triggers it, but at least with these Deluxe versions that chaotic, random light show is much more impressive with the individually addressable LEDs. Keep in mind...these Deluxe Sound Activated Controllers can only be used with the Deluxe SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits and are not compatible with any of my other Speaker Light Kit types.

NOW AVAILABLE!

Doug - SpeakerLightKits.com

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Is the same controller/kit changing the translite colors?

Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

No. That is a Cointaker backbox lighting kit.
Phoebe

What she said.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-light-kits-now-available-for-stern-spike-2-games?tu=DugFreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.