Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Flippingr8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

639EC7EC-BA13-41B5-A3A3-B80212E64C31 (resized).jpeg
A39944E4-9EC0-4ACF-A734-230723B813B4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1033 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1034 (resized).jpeg

#1 15 days ago

Got an LED speaker light upgrade (from Cointaker) for my Elvis but have been having problems with power - keep blowing fuses. Had everything hooked up properly, I thought, using auxiliary power tap port in the front of the cabinet by the power switch, but it made a strange hum when I turned it on, and then I think it blew a fuse. I didn't go any further with that but decided to get a power supply board 12v power tap from Pinball Life for Stern Whitestar. While installing that first verified that I had blown 2 fuses just to the right of the power transistor cooling fins. Replaced those. Verified that I was getting 12V out of it before connecting it to the wireless receiver for the lights. Then after hooking everything up turned it on and I could hear a transient tick come from the backbox which I think was the new power tap fuse blowing. New speaker lights still didn't work. Checked for power coming from the new tap and it was 0 to 1 V. Checked the new power tap micro fuse and found it was blown. So something keeps blowing the fuses proving power to the speaker lights. I did try powering the IR receiver of the speaker lights with a 9V battery and they worked that way.

I looked for obvious bent or shorted out wires on the speakers and didn't see any. I'm wondering if this is a grounding strap problem. I reinstalled both of them, one on each speaker, but in different positions. Could this be the problem? somehow causing a short? Looking for ideas. Unfortunately instructions for these items (speaker lights and the power tap) were either not clear or missing entirely. I attached pictures of both speakers after I added the LED lights and reattached the grounding straps. Incorrect?

IMG_1033 (resized).jpegIMG_1034 (resized).jpeg
#2 15 days ago

Your speaker light kit LED's/+12V may be shorted to the aluminum frame?
I've seen that happen a few times on kits I've purchased & it can take out the RGB Controller.
Try removing them completely from your game so they're separated from it (other than the 12V power) and see if they work correctly, if they do that's the issue (LED +12V shorted to Alum. bracket).
If it's from Coin Taker Chris & Melissa will take care of you.

#3 15 days ago

If you disconnect the led strips, do you still blow a fuse? If not, then it is the led strips. It’s possible the wires soldered to the led strip are touching each other and causing a short.

2 weeks later
#4 7 hours ago

Fixed the problem thanks to DugFreez - I must not have been careful enough attaching the speaker-LED light frame-grounding wire-grill-acrylic sandwich to the panel so that the grill ended up moving inwards in one corner, and was contacting the LED light strip inside the light frame right at the corner bend, causing a short. Thanks Doug!
A39944E4-9EC0-4ACF-A734-230723B813B4 (resized).jpeg639EC7EC-BA13-41B5-A3A3-B80212E64C31 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
PinSound
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside