Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dhalem
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The other day I dropped both a ColorDMD and LEDOCD in my TAF. I now have a speaker hum/buzz coming from the left speaker. Any ideas? I have the same setup in other machines but no hum.

#2 9 years ago

My first thought would be to try moving the speaker wires around a bit. If the wires are lying close to a switching ciruit, it's possible that it's picking up noise.

#3 9 years ago

Tried that. I did some more experimentation and it turns out to be related to the GIOCD. When I turn the GI all the way off in tests, the hum goes away. I'm certain the hum wasn't there before the colordmd/lcdocd, so I'm at a loss.

#4 9 years ago

Did you connect the original ground wire or the new one that comes with the ColorDMD kit? (Or neither?)

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Did you connect the original ground wire or the new one that comes with the ColorDMD kit? (Or neither?)

I connected the ground wire from the kit to the ground wire on the cab.

#6 9 years ago

Hum is generally produced by ground noise from switching circuits. The screen itself has a switching LED backlight. The LEDs in your game are also being switched on/off by the LED controller.

Ground loop noise can be very difficult to track down and resolve. If it's possible to increase the switching frequency above audio frequencies that can help to "eliminate" the hum.

#7 9 years ago

Right. At this point it appears to be coming from the GIOCD. The strange thing is that the GIOCD has been in the machine for a while, and the hum only started when the ColorDMD and LEDOCD were added. I've tried unplugging both and I'm still getting the hum.

#8 9 years ago

Short of making sure the speaker cables are out of the way and the ground cable is firmly attached, I'm not sure what else to try without spending some time thinking about it.

Unfortunately, the GI OCD transistors aren't fast enough to switch above audio frequencies. Depending on which firmware version you have, it's either switching at 250 Hz or 1kHz. The 1kHz would be more likely to be something you would hear, so if you have v5 firmware on the GI OCD, we could try reprogramming it to v3. Feel free to email me if you continue having problems with it.

#9 9 years ago

Make sure the speaker wire is not getting smashed by the ColorDMD. I had that problem once and had some problems.

#10 9 years ago

I'll check the wire, thanks.

I did some more experimentation. Disconnecting the ground wire from the ColorDMD eliminates the hum. Obviously, I don't want to do that. Any ideas on how to safely ground it while preventing the hum?

#11 9 years ago

Does disconnecting the ribbon cable that runs to the ColorDMD change anything?

Are you using stock WPC audio and video boards?

#12 9 years ago

Are all of the boards in the backbox screwed down reasonably tight? Are all connectors on tight?

#13 9 years ago

I tried disconnecting the ribbon cable...No effect.

What ended up working was I made a longer ground cable and connected it to the ground braid on the other side of the machine from the GIOCD.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad you found a fix!

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for your support!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-hum-after-colordmdledocd-install and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.