Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by e_lectro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

DE Laser War that i have has a low speaker hum when powered on that continuously gets louder but then stops and repeats this process even when i start a game, but a few times during gameplay the hum will get loud and then the machine locks up as if i tilted the game (no flippers or anything) and i have to start a game over after the ball drains. any help is greatly appreciated

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from mr300ww:

DE Laser War that i have has a low speaker hum when powered on that continuously gets louder but then stops and repeats this process even when i start a game, but a few times during gameplay the hum will get loud and then the machine locks up as if i tilted the game (no flippers or anything) and i have to start a game over after the ball drains. any help is greatly appreciated

Start with careful measurement of all supply voltages - check both DC levels and AC ripple voltage.

#3 9 months ago

Where should I check all of these?

#4 9 months ago

Check for sound board voltages at the input connector to the sound board. This would be the +5, +12, and -12 volts at connector CN2 (or CN4 on sound board 520-5002-0x used on Laser War to Turtles):

CNx pin 1 = +5 volts
CNx pin 2 = Ground
CNx pin 3 = -12 volts
CNx pin 4 = NC (no connection)
CNx pin 5 = KEY
CNx pin 6 = +12 volts

Next check for -5 volts at the capacitor C49. Use a DMM, and put the red lead on the leg of this capacitor which connects to VR1. Put the black lead on the other leg of the capacitor (ground). The DMM should show -5 volts. This applies to all revisions of DataEast/Sega sound boards as used from Laser War to Batman Forever.

Then also check:
The sound works, but there is a very noticeable loud hum coming from the speakers. This is often a ground problem. It could be as simple as tightening the screws that secure all the printed circuit boards to the backbox. Also it could mean the large filter capacitor (usually 1000 mfd at 16 volts) on the sound board needs to be replaced. Look for a large capacitor that connects +5 volts to ground.

#5 9 months ago

DE speaker hum is pretty common, lost of posts about it. But, the ramping noise volume and lockup is not normal. I think wayout440 is on the right track with having you check voltages.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside