67%
  • No 1 vote
    33%

(3 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-12-31_16-04-00_67-469.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am new to this forum. Just found it actually.

I am a long time designer of speaker systems and I have three different pinball machines.

I did a forum search on the speaker upgrades people have done. Basically car speaker stuff.

I have the ability to model using LEAP (Loudspeaker Enclosure Analysis Program) been doing it for over 20 years. Would there be value in me modeling a sealed enclosure design for the bass and an IB (infinite baffle) design for the high frequency pieces of the pinball machines?

I would of course share my findings with the forum since I have a wide and narrow body Williams/Bally machines and also a Sega machine.

Below is an example of a Home theater speaker system 4-way active crossover design. Top stack has a 8 inch mid-bass, 6 inch mid-range horn tweeter. Bottom box 18 inch subwoofer.

2013-12-31_16-04-00_67-469.jpg2013-12-31_16-04-00_67-469.jpg
#2 9 years ago

I would right size the options and provide a couple of budget point suggestions.

#3 9 years ago

With most of these pinball machines you can easily go overboard with speakers, amps, subs, etc. The problem is the source. Many of these pins are mono, 8bit, low quality sources. There are some companies such as flipper fidelity that already make upgraded speakers for pins. Don't know of anyone using car speakers/amps, but why not? Good luck...

#4 9 years ago

Okay I was just going to do the modeling on my three machines because of the three different volumes and then have suggestions people could buy from someone else. I was merely providing information.

I will post results here . Agreed mono and low power are two issues but a very efficient design is my only goal here.

#5 9 years ago

Note that the pinball cabinet itself is the sealed enclosure for the sub located in the bottom.

#6 9 years ago

Exactly what I was going to use. The space is actually pretty good size which would allow for a pretty efficient woofer system.

Does anyone have the specifications list for the electronics some where? I would assume by manufacturer.

Co-axials are the obvious choice for the back box a number of new designs are available from the surround technology being used that is wide frequency bandwidth and low distortion.

I don't want to go crazy with this more like what are good matches for a particular sized box to improve dynamic range and improved frequency response.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-design-and-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.