3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiz71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi group. I recently restored a Scared Stiff. I ended up getting the PinSound Board and speakers which included a complete wiring harness for the backbox and cabinet speakers. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to remove the original speaker wiring altogether, which cause me to cut it in a few places for ease of removal. I am not convinced I really like the PinSound components after spending around $700 for everything. Now I am thinking about just going to a normal speaker upgrade and pulling out the PinSound components, plugging things back to the way it was. Now I have the old wiring harness in pieces lol. Without having to splice everything back together, which I don't want to do, besides the original wiring was a very small gauge wire to begin with, are there any options for me? Maybe a speaker upgrade kit that comes with all new wire? I am a little lost now. Any help is appreciated...

#2 3 years ago

Can I ask what you don’t like about it vs. the original. I was thinking about grabbing one but now I’m having second thoughts at those prices. As for the speaker wires couldn’t you use regular speaker wire. They come in different gauge.

1 week later
    #3 3 years ago

KoolFingers, I wanted to upgrade the speakers since the stock ones are antiquated and there seemed to be a lot of newer options out there. Pinsound looked like the best of the best, so I bit the bullet. After spending $700 for the board, speakers and wire harness kits, adapters. etc., we had issues downloading the roms from Pinsound's site. At first they weren't installing, saying they were corrupt files, but we finally got their latest update (which was years ago) and it worked, kinda. About 5-10% of the time, the sound/callouts lag or is nonexistent, or multiple callouts happen at once. I stupidly pulled out the wire harness to the stock woofer in the cabinet, but in order to do it, I cut it in 2 spots. The black & black w/yellow tracer wires route through a white rectangular ferrite of some sort (as did the backbone speakers), so it was easier for me to cut it to remove it. I should have just left it in place. I looked at Pinball Pro speakers and they have all new wiring for the backbox speakers with the volume control, but I need to come up with something for the cabinet woofer. The original speaker wires plug in to the A/V board via 4 position IDC connectors for I believe 22 gauge wire, seems really light. If I used regular speaker wire, I would need it to be solid tinned wire so that it works with that style connector.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-cabling-for-scared-stiff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.