(Topic ID: 35091)

Sparkfun Mp3 Trigger Help!!!

By pinballwizardz

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, Im trying to decide if I want to tackle making my first custom pin with a Zizzle Pinball. I would like to ask you guys out there that have done this before how to program the Mp3 Trigger Board? I'm good with computers (Mac) but have 0 experience with programming from what i've read I think I can do it though. Anyway can one of you please make a cheat sheet on how to program this stuff (Mp3 Triggers for Dummies). I really want to do this so any help would be great.

#2 11 years ago

Mine comes tomorrow, hoping it's not too hard. I don't think you really program it, it's a matter of wiring it up properly.. only programming as far as I know is naming the files properly on the SD card

#3 11 years ago

I know a number of people have used MP3 Triggers to customize their pinball machines sound, but no one of yet has documented the steps involved. It would be great if someone wrote up a tutorial and posted here for all to see.

#4 11 years ago

The "programing" is naming the MP3s the names of the triggers.

You get 18 triggers per card, so you have to do some planning to get your ship straight.

Because you probably don't want the "one shot" sounds to interrupt the background song, you probably want 2 cards.

1st card (one shot sounds):

Switches 1 thru 12 - sounds
    Pops - tie together for one sound
    Slingshots - tie together
    Inlanes - tie together
    Extra Ball - call out that it is lit
    Special - call out that it is lit
    Tilt - growl warning

2nd card (looping songs or end sounds that cancel the loop songs):

Background song - seamlessly looping song
    2x playfield background song - faster paced song loop
    5x playfield background song - fastest tempo song loop
    Game over - sound
    Tilt ball over - sound
    Center drain - sound
    Outlanes - tie together sound

So to "program" the sounds we name the MP3

On card #1:

If the pops are on trigger #13 then the pop MP3 is named: 013_Pops.mp3
    If the Slingshots are on trigger #14 then : 014_Slingshot.mp3
    Repeat for all other switches....

On card #2:

Make the normal song the #1 trigger: 001_song.mp3
    Make the 2x playfield song the #2 trigger: 002_song.mp3
    Make the game over sound the #4 trigger: 004_GO.mp3

You can use the playfield switches to trigger some inputs, and playfield/backbox lights to trigger others (like game over or 2x playfield).

#5 11 years ago

VID1900,

I though I read somewhere that it could be programmed as well to play more than one sound per trigger. So you could have a random (different) sound play each time the same trigger was hit.
    But I could be wrong

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bowman9:

I though I read somewhere that it could be programmed as well to play more than one sound per trigger. So you could have a random (different) sound play each time the same trigger was hit.
    But I could be wrong

No, you aren't:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-look-ghostbusters-custom/page/5

You can have virtually limitless callouts and sound effects with the random function. You can set any of the 18 pins to pull from a bank of random mp3's which are separate from the files the other pins trigger. (ie. you could have 16 specific sounds/tracks and 2 pins that randomly pull from 20 additional sounds/tracks).

#7 11 years ago

You have probably gone through all the sparkfun information, but the user manual was especially helpful for me since it discusses the use of an initialization file which is something you will definitely want to include if you plan on doing things like controlling the volume of certain mp3 tracks, looping, stopping tracks, etc.

http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Widgets/MP3%20Trigger%20V2.5%20User%20Guide%202012-02-01.pdf

If you have any specific questions regarding how to ground the switches, etc., then post them here and hopefully someone will be able to help out. Just to give you a heads up, be very careful working with the unit while it is on. I fried a unit simply by allowing a stray piece of solder brush across one of the ICs.

Fear not. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

#8 11 years ago

It would appear the guy building the custom bioshock pinball is using three mp3 triggers controlled by a main arduino board:
    http://poormanspinball.blogspot.com/2012/08/those-dirty-secrets.html

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from schmoo:

If you have any specific questions regarding how to ground the switches, etc., then post them here and hopefully someone will be able to help out.

Some people might want to use phototransistors and detect when certain lights are illuminated.

This would allow electrical isolation too.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Some people might want to use phototransistors and detect when certain lights are illuminated.
    This would allow electrical isolation too.

...and fail along with either the bulb or the lamp socket.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

...and fail along with either the bulb or the lamp socket.

Of course it will.

But regular switches fail, diodes fail, it's pinball - pretty much everything fails.

If you are using LED lamps (other than CT reds), then it's going to be a long time between lamp failures.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course it will.
    But regular switches fail, diodes fail, it's pinball - pretty much everything fails.
    If you are using LED lamps (other than CT reds), then it's going to be a long time between lamp failures.

I imagine a lot of the games being redone in this way are older games. A LOT of those older games have garbage Bally sockets. This would require a new socket on each spot used for sure. I'm not against the idea. I would prefer to find a way to trigger on the voltage to the lamp, though, rather than the light coming from it.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

I would prefer to find a way to trigger on the voltage to the lamp, though, rather than the light coming from it.

You can do that too, of course.

You want to isolate the two circuits, so maybe diodes or optoisolators depending on your skill set.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

I imagine a lot of the games being redone in this way are older games. A LOT of those older games have garbage Bally sockets. This would require a new socket on each spot used for sure.

Yes, many people restoring Ballys automatically replace the sockets, especially if they are the plastic ones.

#15 11 years ago

What would I name the mp3 that I want to loop and how would I get it to stop for the bonus count and start again for the next ball?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sparkfun-mp3-trigger-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.