(Topic ID: 10714)

Spare Playfield Storage

By rkelley17

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-02-02_16.37.53.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

How do you guys store your spare playfields? I wanna make sure I do it in a manner that offers the best protection. Would you go ahead and have a new playfield re-cleared now or wait until you're actually ready to put it in a game? Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

#2 12 years ago

hmm maybe shrink wrap it, put it in a box, in a dry area that is not in a basement?

#3 12 years ago

These are very good questions. I'd like to know the answers as well.

#4 12 years ago

What I do is lay a piece of plywood on the shelf that I'm storing the playfield on. Then lay the playfield on the plywood. Then lay two stips of wood on the top sides of the playfield. Then lay another piece of plywood on top. This way the playfield sits flat and is protected. The most important thing is that it lays flat. Don't prop the playfield up or it will bow.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Picking up a spare SM just in case I want to do a swap down the line. I plan on keeping her forever!!!

#6 12 years ago

What about hanging it on the wall? Should keep it straight if it's in a dry place and makes great decoration!

#7 12 years ago

I would have it cleared now. I kept mine hanging on the wall but usually tried to install them as quickly as I could.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I would have it cleared now. I kept mine hanging on the wall but usually tried to install them as quickly as I could.

Is it really necessary to re-clear a NOS playfield? Is there any chance that it would mess it up (insert problems)? I have heard different things on this so hoping someone may be able to clear it up for me.

#9 12 years ago

Depends. Most *true* NOS (not repro) playfields were seconds. The playfields that weren't used in games for one reason or another.

Those may need repair for one reason or another.

A lot of NOS playfields I've seen have 'storage damage' from improper handling etc, so it's not inconceivable that they could use a touchup/reclear.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

A lot of NOS playfields I've seen have 'storage damage' from improper handling etc, so it's not inconceivable that they could use a touchup/reclear.

My better half got me a NOS JD playfield for XMas, it had some nasty storage scratches in a few spots and on one insert. I sent it off to Chris Hutchins for repair and CC, should have it back here pretty soon.

#11 12 years ago

A friend of mine has a bunch of adjustable surfboard racks in his garage. Maybe use those?

#12 12 years ago

Flat under a bed. Thats were my 2004 Lotr pf is. 2012-02-02_16.37.53.jpg2012-02-02_16.37.53.jpg

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

TaylorVA said:I would have it cleared now. I kept mine hanging on the wall but usually tried to install them as quickly as I could.
    Is it really necessary to re-clear a NOS playfield? Is there any chance that it would mess it up (insert problems)? I have heard different things on this so hoping someone may be able to clear it up for me.

I don't know about NOS frankly but the Mirco AFM I installed was fixed and recleared before I used it. The new clear by most manufacturers is pretty bad IMO.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Flat under a bed. Thats were my 2004 Lotr pf is.

My only concern is that the playfield may have some dust on it, but just add some Novus to the mix, and you're good to go.

#15 12 years ago

You could wrap it an acid free paper.

#16 12 years ago

what now? acid, wrap, paper, can i buy some of that?

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Flat under a bed. Thats were my 2004 Lotr pf is.

You know that sounds like a great idea I just may have to do that Av8. Did you do anything to it like re-clear or did the LOTR playfield look fine when you bought it?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spare-playfield-storage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.