View topic image gallery

Add a ball with match (resized).png
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment 3 (resized).jpg
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment 2 (resized).jpg
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
D31D5249-4A9E-49E9-842B-47D997D30C8C (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I have match turned on, and at the end of every game, a different every time match number illuminates on the back glass, but after hundreds of games, it’s NEVER matched a game score! I’m starting to believe that can’t be chance. (My Gottlieb Hot Shot matches at least once a session). Any ideas what’s going on? Thx! EDITED to clarify the match number is different at end of each game

D31D5249-4A9E-49E9-842B-47D997D30C8C (resized).jpegD31D5249-4A9E-49E9-842B-47D997D30C8C (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

I am not sure if it is the same version but my space mission had the same problem.
The match unit on SM is in the center of the head. There is a small plastic cam that breaks.
If you find that broken it is available as a repro from johns jukes in vancover.

#3 4 years ago

Do the match numbers change at the end of every game?

If you have the machine set to “add a ball” or novelty mode, the end of game number match will not work.

#4 4 years ago

I think what you're saying is that you never match even though it should be a 10% to match! A quick look at the schematic shows that the 10 point relay is the only thing that increments the match unit. Given that, I think you should be able to tell what score will give a match after the game resets based on the position of the match unit.

Based on the lights in the schematic it looks like the match unit sequence is:
00 40 90 50 20 80 30 70 10 60

I whipped up an Excel spreadsheet based on that sequence:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Assuming it is correct it shows that there is a 10% chance of matching, but that with certain match unit positions after reset you have zero chance (5 of them you have zero chance!), two have 10% chance, one 20% and two 30%.

#5 4 years ago

I thought the match moved incrementally with each 10 point pulse.
So there was a 10% chance on any combination.
I do not believe it resets as part of starting a new game.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Do the match numbers change at the end of every game?
If you have the machine set to “add a ball” or novelty mode, the end of game number match will not work.

@mikala Thx, yes, I do have it set to Add A Ball, and a unique match number illuminates at the end of every game, different every time, but never ever a match. Hundreds of games! With Add A Ball, should it not be illuminating the match number?

#7 4 years ago

I do not think you can match on add a ball.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I am not sure if it is the same version but my space mission had the same problem.
The match unit on SM is in the center of the head. There is a small plastic cam that breaks.
If you find that broken it is available as a repro from johns jukes in vancover.

PinballAir thx, in your scenario, does that broken part prevent the match point from changing? I’ve clarified my post above that the Match Unit indeed changes every game.

#9 4 years ago

PinballAir Thx. Well, dang, that’s disappointing. Wonder if it can hacked to allow.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I think what you're saying is that you never match even though it should be a 10% to match! A quick look at the schematic shows that the 10 point relay is the only thing that increments the match unit. Given that, I think you should be able to tell what score will give a match after the game resets based on the position of the match unit.
Based on the lights in the schematic it looks like the match unit sequence is:
00 40 90 50 20 80 30 70 10 60
I whipped up an Excel spreadsheet based on that sequence:
[quoted image]
Assuming it is correct it shows that there is a 10% chance of matching, but that with certain match unit positions after reset you have zero chance (5 of them you have zero chance!), two have 10% chance, one 20% and two 30%.

dr_nybble haha thanks for that!

#11 4 years ago

There's a setting in the litebox that turns Match on and off...I just finished one of these recently.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I do not think you can match on add a ball.

I agree with PinballAir . It's in the manual and in the schematic on ipdb.org:
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment (resized).jpgSpanish Eyes Match adjustment (resized).jpg
/Mark

#13 4 years ago

Based on the schematics, I am not sure I follow the you can not match or match feature does not work when set to add-a-ball. I agree with the spreadsheet shown by dr_nybble

Now the schematics are not always the bible, so there could be something on schematics, I am not seeing.

What I would suggest is get the game to the last ball with some scored value on the 10s point reel, and manually changing the 'No. Match' unit to that value. Then end the game. Does it give you a credit?

As your post states the number is changing, so we do know that the unit is working. As you can see in the spreadsheet above there is a 50% chance that if the match unit was on one of those numbers you have 0% chance of a match on the next game.

#14 4 years ago

Thx PinballAir and @markg! I’m less concerned with actually receiving a free credit (I have the credit unit shorted at the reel to alway be in free mode - could that be complicating the match number matching ever?) But would just like the Match Number to actually match SOMETIME. Would making change manual suggest, @markg, stop it from never matching? When I turn it to OFF the match lights no longer illuminate. Can I have my Add A Ball cake and eat my match number matching too??? By illicit, that is tweaking it, means?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

Based on the schematics, I am not sure I follow the you can not match or match feature does not work when set to add-a-ball.

Here's the relevant bit of the schematic:
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment 2 (resized).jpgSpanish Eyes Match adjustment 2 (resized).jpg
The bottom portion does all the math to figure out if you have a match. But unless the "No. Match" adjustment is ON, and the Game Adjustment is on Replay as shown, the circuit to the Replay S.U. (step up) solenoid won't complete.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Jsbfilm:

I have the credit unit shorted at the reel to alway be in free mode - could that be complicating the match number matching ever?

I don't think that would affect the Match circuit.

Quoted from Jsbfilm:

But would just like the Match Number to actually match SOMETIME. Would making change manual suggest, markg, stop it from never matching? When I turn it to OFF the match lights no longer illuminate. Can I have my Add A Ball cake and eat my match number matching too???

The game was designed to award extra balls, or free games, but not both. If you want extra balls and free match games you'd need to modify the replay circuit. I think this would do what you want:
Spanish Eyes Match adjustment 3 (resized).jpgSpanish Eyes Match adjustment 3 (resized).jpg
- turn the No. Match ON
- move the Game Adjustment to Add A Ball
- remove the white-green wire on the Game Over relay switch from the No Match adjustment (not the other one from the 100,000 point relay)
- attach it to the Grey wire wherever you can

That should give you extra balls for everything including high scores, but occasionally give you a free game for a match at the end of the game.

I wouldn't recommend this because some day someone will want to undo this and won't realize that the circuit has been hacked. If you do try this please leave a note or some other indication of the changes you've made inside the game.

EDIT: Beware that I'm not sure that bypassing that normally closed Game Over relay switch is a good idea. There's a small chance that your Replay step up solenoid will lock on when you get a match. If that happens you should carefully undo your changes.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't think that would affect the Match circuit.

The game was designed to award extra balls, or free games, but not both. If you want extra balls and free match games you'd need to modify the replay circuit. I think this would do what you want:
[quoted image]
- turn the No. Match ON
- move the Game Adjustment to Add A Ball
- remove the white-green wire on the Game Over relay switch from the No Match adjustment (not the other one from the 100,000 point relay)
- attach it to the Grey wire wherever you can
That should give you extra balls for everything including high scores, but occasionally give you a free game for a match at the end of the game.
I wouldn't recommend this because some day someone will want to undo this and won't realize that the circuit has been hacked. If you do try this please leave a note or some other indication of the changes you've made inside the game.

Amazing, thank you MarkG I really appreciate and will indeed leave a note in there (a print out of your above instructions actually).

#18 4 years ago

Couldn't you jumper as shown in picture in red to make it add a credit on match?

Add a ball with match (resized).pngAdd a ball with match (resized).png
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

Couldn't you jumper as shown in picture in red to make it add a credit on match?

The game would likely blow up because you got greedy.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

You could, but then you would get a replay every time you got a free ball including the 1-6 Reset relay, A-E Reset relay and high scores.

#21 4 years ago

@markg thank you for the clarification. I see your point. I was reading schematic while in a meeting at my (high)paying job. Pinball is my hobby(low paying) job. LOL!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spanish-eyes-williams-1972-match?hl=pinball419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.