• Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.png
#1 9 years ago

A tech friend and I were working on my SE last night, we got most everything working except the bumpers, The flippers and kickout are working but not the 4 bumpers. He was looking at the rectifier, but I would think the flipper and kickout wouldn't work either if that was the problem.

Any suggestions, I hope to go look at it again after work today.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Here's the game schematic. Looks it could be the fuse or rectifier thats the problem or no AC voltage to the rectifier.
Untitled-1.pngUntitled-1.png

#3 9 years ago

I'm not great with schematics, but aren't the flippers connected here also? The flippers are working as well as the kick out hole coil, just not the pops. I can see in the diagram that they are connected to different places on the rectifier, but I don't know what that means or why one would work and not the other. I recall him reading this with a DMM and it was reading 6.3v but we both agreed that that didn't seem correct.

#4 9 years ago

I found this, it says that Williams wired these up wrong? could this be my problem?

http://flippers.com/will-tips.html

Upgrading 1971 to 1977 Williams EM pins with DC coils fuse wiring - to reduce the risk of burning up coils and saving time on future service.

This 10A fuse can be replaced with a 2.5A Slo-Blo fuse, but you should rewire the fuse so that it is on the AC side of the bridge rectifier and not the DC. The reason you want to reqire the fuse is if/when the bridge rectifier shorts out it will blow the main solenoid fuse and you will likely spent a lot of time trying to find the short as it really isn't obvious when a bridge fails.

Note that only YUKON SPECIAL had wired the bridge rectifier wired as recommended below AND used a 2A slo-blo fuse, so the modification below is for the following games 1971 through 1977:

Granada, Spanish Eyes, Honey, Winner, Super Star, Big Star, Fan-Tas-Tic, Swinger, Travel Time, Fun-Fest, Summer Time, Match Race, Gulfstream, Tropic Fun, Jubilee, Darling, OXO, Star Action, Tramway, Triple Action, Dealer's Choice, Skylab, Spacelab, Strato-Flite, Super-Flite, High Ace, Lucky Ace, Big Ben, Pat Hand, Valencia, Triple Strike, Black Gold, Little Chief, Toledo, Grand Prix ,Space Mission, Space Odyssey, Aztec ,Blue Chip, Grand Prix, Liberty Bell, Big Deal, Hot Tip (EM), Lucky Seven (EM), Rancho, Argosy, Wild Card.

#5 9 years ago

Looks like only the pops are fed from the DC of that rectifier. Flipper circuit is feeding it AC. Check for DC voltage across the + - terminals. The rewire would require the fuse holder to be rmoved from the O wire and that joined up. Put the fuse holder in the Y wire and change the fuse to 2.5A Slo Blo

#6 9 years ago

For some reason I thought Spanish Eyes with the first pin with DC flippers but it's not, it was the first Williams pin with DC pops.

So the flippers are on one side of the rectifier and the pops are on the other.

Clay's guide said I can, as a temporary fix, use a rectifier from Radio shack. I picked one up in case the one in the pin turns out to be bad. I didn't have time to work on the electrical last night, I spent the time I had getting the playfield back together, I hope to get to the pin tonight and start troubleshooting. It's a Xmas present, so I hope I can get it fixed tonight.

I don' think I'm going to rewire anything until it's working but I would eventually like to get that fuse in the correct place in the circuit once everything is up and running.

#7 9 years ago

The switch contacts on all 4 bumpers were so oxidized that the were not activating. The fact that the AC flippers were working and ALL the DC bumpers were not lead us to think it was the bridge rectifier. Once we got in there with some good light we could see the problem. Cleaned the switches and now we're thumping.

Thanks for the replies and help

Merry Xmas!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spanish-eyes-pops-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.