chest_burster_highres.jpg
druidia_highres.jpg
yogurt_highres.jpg
playfield_rear_highres.jpg
playfield_high_res.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190713_195516 (resized).jpg
Why+didnt+anyone+tell+me+my+ass+was+so+big+_a86a6dc8b0f97047ca0f0f7280c21da3 (resized).jpg
20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
20190615_163152 (resized).jpg
20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
playfieldlayout (resized).jpg
all_cab_art (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So, I've decided I want my next project to be a custom Spaceballs themed pin.

It's a movie that my wife and I love, and seems to have lots of elements that will translate well to a pin.

However, I'd love the opportunity to approach this a little differently. Instead of running to my bat-cave, designing it in a vacuum and showing back up with a spit shined turd, I though I might make it more of an open design to really get some valuable feedback during the process.

So,first I'd love to get your thoughts on the style of the game. I lean toward the mode style game, because of the tie ins with specific scenes in the movie. "Comb the desert" mode comes to mind.

Some of the basic scenes I want to translate to gameplay are:

-radar jamming
-mega maid emerging
-mega maid going from suck to blow
-Schwartz is as big as mine
-ludicrous speed
-gotta be a mr coffee
-perriair
-the Winnebago in general

So, what do you all think?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"Combing the desert" mode "We ain't found shit!"

It's a mode where only 1 target gives the jackpot but its not lit up. You have 15 seconds to find the target or the mode ends and you get the "we ain't found shit" line. lol

Game has so much potential

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

How about lighting up false JP shots? Then when you shoot it, you get the "FOOLED YOU!!" call out.

Haha, I love it.

#21 10 years ago

Love the suggestions! Keep them coming.

I was thinking about a multiball lock out of mega maid. You lock balls in the vacuum bag, and when you trigger multiball it starts with "shes gone from suck to blow!" And all the balls come out of the bag. I'd love it to be a variable multiball where you can lock between 2-4 balls in the bag, and trigger the mode start at any time once you have at least 2 in there.

We're the spaceballllss! WATCH OUT!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

This is literally my favorite movie. I used to watch it the night before every wrestling match I had in high school as part of my weird superstitious behaviors.....Please keep this updated and if you want go ahead and just make two because I will gladly take the second one!

We love it too, it's such a great movie.

I'll definitely keep it updated, but don't expect super fast progress. I've never done a pin before, but have done a lot of design projects ranging from miniature timers to big liquor dispensing robots. Plus, I really want to get community input into the design and rules. That's going to take a lot of time to draw out of people and compile.

I made this original post when I was a little under the influence last night, so this morning I figured I better follow through and officially started a new project on my server. Good times.

I'm gonna start with the easy stuff like flipper geometry, slings, etc... since I can most likely copy those from a current machine.

#39 10 years ago

My wife just put this on, so I'm "doing research".

image.jpgimage.jpg
#47 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The real question is, will it use segment display, LCD, or... dot matrix?

I dunno, what do you think?

I am gonna rule out segment. I think LCD would actually be easier for me than DMD. I can code like hell but a dot artist I am not.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Wolfmarsh; you should edit your first post to include all the new ideas as they come along, it will be a good way to keep everything together, and make sure things don't get lost in the thread. Divide it into call outs, modes, targets, toys, playfield ideas ect
I like the prince vaspian lazy flipper mode, that could be fun.
Combing the desert needs a "we ain't found shit" for sure.
Theirs so many great ideas already

I'll be posting project updates as we go along, including compilations of ideas, etc... I'll probably make new posts about it versus updating the main post. I'd like this to be a journal of how things progress. I do like the concept behind your idea of making the latest status easy to find, so as I post status reports I'll update the main post to have a link directly to the status update posts I make. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's already a lot of fun just hearing everyones great ideas, so I'm excited to keep it going. I started banging out control electronics last night. Think I'm going to use the Raspberry Pi as my LCD/Sound controller, but not as the main CPU for the game.

#69 10 years ago

Compiling all of these ideas, I think we need a "perspective" for the gameplay.

What do you guys think is the proper way to approach getting the player engaged in the game?

Are you playing as Lone Star trying to defend Druidia and take down the Spaceballs?

Are playing as the Spaceballs, trying to get into Druidia?

Are you playing as a third party just trying to activate modes and fun things from the movie?

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

hah I actually designed a spaceballs pin a couple months ago, was debating between that and another theme... it's tempting since there is so much material in some of these great old movies

Is it something you are going to build/have built? If not, would you be willing to share some of your designs in this thread to get some collaboration going?

I'd love for this machine to be a "community designed" machine. I will do the heavy lifting hardware/software wise, but am always amazed at how many good design suggestions I see come from threads on pinside, so I want to start that dialog at the start of the build, rather than after the first prototype is built.

I plan to release everything under one of the Creative Commons licenses, so anyone interested could follow these plans to build their own.

1 week later
#81 10 years ago

Ok, here is an update with all of the ideas loosely compiled. Some of the quotes may not be exactly right, but since I'll just be using the ones from the actual movie, its not important.

Keep the ideas coming, I've got some hardware on the way to go ahead and set up a development rig for this thing. I'll post some pics once I have something to show.

Specific movie concepts:

Ludicrous speed/They've gone plaid
Combing the desert - We ain't found shit!
All of the assholes
President scroob's reversed ass from the transporter
Self destruct
Virgin alarm
Pizza the hut
Chest alien
Dink Dink
Mega Maid
You went over my helmet?!
Fuck! Even in the future nothing works!
Radar - Bleeps, Creeps, Sweeps

Gameplay Ideas:

Build warp speeds up to ludicrous speed
Mega Maid multiball - She's gone from suck to blow!
Marketing madness where specific actions earn a piece of spaceballs merch
Lighting up false jackpot shots with a "FOOLED YOU" callout
Grand Champion is possibly renamed to Major Asshole, the other levels could be Gunners First Mate, etc...
Ball Save - Keep Firing assholes or May the schwartz be with you.
Cradle the ball too long, prince Valium yawns
1-2-3-4-5 targets for luggage combination
Match sequence could be luggage combination
Tilt callout: Why dont we take a 5 minute break, smoke if you got'em!
Callout: Why didnt somebody tell me my ass was so big
Callout: Are you playing with your dolls again
Callout: Get back here you fat bearded bitch!
Callout: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
Callout: Oh shit, there goes the planet
Callout: I Told you we should have put more than 5 bucks worth in
Attract Mode: long ship flyby with dramatic opening music
Attract Mode: Spaceballs: The Pin logo with "We're the spaceballs" theme music.

General Hardware ideas:

LCD
Standard Body

#86 10 years ago

After seeing the STLE starfield projector, I think this pin needs a proper room/floor projecting starfield. Maybe tied into the warp mode, even projecting plaid somehow.

1 week later
#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

have you looked into the PROC? I have one set up with a custom system 11 driver board. it might save a bunch of dev time vs starting from scratch.

I did, but I'm going beyond what the PROC can handle for this game, at least as I understand it.

Plus, having complete control of the platform gives me warm fuzzies at night.

As a small update too, I've got the hardware set up on my workbench, and will take some pics tonight. I've been so busy with people here for thanksgiving, everytime I started tinkering someone came out and asked 1000 questions or wanted to talk about random stuff, so I never got anywhere.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Can't wait to see your rig! what are you doing that the proc can't handle?

I don't know 100% that it wouldn't handle it, but some of the main design requirements I have right now are all RGB controlled LEDs, an LCD display with video clip playback, and I need at least a couple servo control channels.

With me wanting all the GI, inserts, and flashers to be RGB/dimmable, I feel better about having complete control over the platform myself.

Another reason was cost. I have 99% of what I need for the main hardware/drivers already here in my shop. I'd have to fork over a few hundred bucks to even start messing with their platform.

1 week later
#105 10 years ago

A long status update. Apologies for the text, and thanks to anyone that reads it and provides input. This may not be the perfect solution, because I'm just trying as I go, so speak up if you see something that doesn't seem right.

I've been working on the hardware. I've chosen to use multiple processors for the game. I'm using a Beaglebone Black as the main processor for the game:

http://beagleboard.org/products/beaglebone%20black

I am not using HD video, only 480i quality, so the power is there for what I need. The Beaglebone will be running high level game code, communicating with the main driver board. The beaglebone black has separate I/O port processors, removing some of the signal timing factor from the main ARM CPU.

The main driver board is driven mainly by a parallax propeller:

http://www.parallax.com/microcontrollers/propeller

The propeller is in charge of controlling the majority of the LED's, Switches, and Solenoids. A individual cog in the propeller will be tied to each of these functions:

Communication
LED Driver
Switch States
Solenoid Drive
Real-time switch/drive (Slingshots, flippers)

I'm working on RGB led drivers based around the TLC59116 chip from Texas Instruments:

http://www.ti.com/product/tlc59116

Here is an update where I am on game information:

Attract Modes:
Video - Long ship-fly by
Video - Spaceballs rolling text

Game Features:
Mega Maid/Spaceball One transforming toy
1-2-3-4-5 Drop Targets for air shield unlock
Tractor Beam Moving Magnet Target
Spaceball One kickout saucer
Spaceball city pop bumpers
-Gray spaceball city buildings with a white flasher inside.
Mode sensitive center stand-up targets
Push button shooter, selectable plunge bonus
Moving speed control lever tied into ramp shots
Transporter Subway
Video Mode - Bleeps, Creeps, and Sweeps
Unique High Score "nicknames"
- President
- Major Asshole
- Gunners First Mate
- Spaceball

Game Start/Player Enter Sounds:
Audio - "You're Really A Spaceball, You know that don't you?"
Audio - "All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet!"

Tilt Callouts:
Audio - "Why don't we take a 5 minute break?"
Video - "Virgin Alarm"

Ball Save Callouts:
Video - "Keep Firing Assholes!"
Video - "May the schwartz be with you!"

Ball Cradle Callouts:
Video - Prince Valium Yawn
Audio - "What's the matter Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?"

Jackpot Callouts:

Game Modes/Goals:

Mega Maid Multiball
-------------------------
Once this mode is activated and a shot is made into spaceball one, the toy transforms into megamaid.
- Goal of the mode is to stop megamaid from sucking up all the balls.
- There is a magnet in megamaid that sucks balls into the lock. Just need to get it near.
- Hitting specific shots pushes the switch from suck to blow.
- Once the switch is on blow, audio callout "She's gone from suck to blow!" is active and all locked balls are dumped out of megamaid.
- More balls locked gives higher jackpot multiplier, but if she gets 4 balls locked, all the air is sucked out of Druidia and mode is over.

Air Shield Unlock
Dropping all of the 1-2-3-4-5 targets in the 5-bank drop target unlocks the Air Shield, part 1 of getting Mega Maid Multiball
- Audio callouts for each target drop, "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" in Dark Helmet's voice
- Video Callout on dropping all targets: "That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life!"
- Dropping them all unlocks the Air Shield, starting mega maid multiball. Shooting the ball into spaceball one starts the mode once its enabled.

Tractor Beam Multiball
Ball starts by getting sucked toward Spaceball One's shuttle bay, you get an extra balls to jam the radar. Either X shots or Y hits on the center targets jams the radar and releases the ball.
- Releasing the ball activates the Jackpots for Tractor Beam Multiball
- Failing to release the ball before it enters Spaceball one ends the mode

Ludicrous Speed Multiball
------------------------
By shooting a particular ramp, you build up speed until you get to ludicrous speed.
- Emergency stop target is active, goal is to build up score before hitting emergency stop.
- Build jackpots for hitting the lit shots.
- Go plaid by completing all lit jackpot shots.
- Hit emergency stop to award jackpot and end mode

Combing the Desert
------------------------
A shot is chosen at random, but not lit. You have to shoot the shots within 30 seconds to find the chosen shot.
- Shots that aren't lit give an audio "Fooled You!" callout.
- If the mode ends without finding the shot, an audio "We ain't found shit!" callout is made.
- If the shot is found, an audio callout is made and jackpot is awarded.

"His head is on backward" multiball
-----------------------
After the transporter subway has been hit X times, activate "His head is on backward" multiball.
- Ball will exit out of the transporter exit, and flippers will be reversed. Left button will activate right flipper, and vice versa.
- 2 additional balls will be kicked out of the shooter to give a 3 ball mulitball.
- 3 shots have to be made to either side of the transporter. Each shot awards a jackpot.
- First shot gives audio callout "Lock One"
- Second shot gives audio callout "Lock Two"
- Third shot gives audio callout "Loch Lomond"
- After third shot, pause for transporter audio and award mode completion.

Spaceball City Pop Bumpers
-----------------------
Each pop bumper hit advances toward the next pop bumper level. Each level gives an award, inceasing as levels go up.
- Each level will have a specific number of hits to activate.

Left Flipper Skill Shot
-----------------------
A normal plunge will send the ball up the outer orbit, blocked by a rising post to direct it through the pop bumper lanes. Holding the left flipper will drop this post to allow the ball to flow through the orbit.
- After the ball comes through the orbit, a shot is lit for the skill shot jackpot.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

This all sounds awesome, you should probably just plan to make this a small run production game because I am sure several of us pinsiders will be hounding you for it anyway.

Unless a miracle happens, there is about a 0.000001% chance of me starting a pinball company. I'm open to teaming up with someone like Skit-B, Stern, JJP, or PPS to produce the games, but that is so far away I am not even thinking about it yet.

All I do know for sure is that I will release all of the materials to the public domain, so anyone that wanted to could build their own.

I have it in my head right now that I am going to build two of them personally. One for me, and one to auction off for charity.

I've also briefly talked to the artist I have in mind about doing the art for the pin. Once we get further along and firm it up, I'll give you some more info about him.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The P-roc can basically do all of this. In some cases you would need to replace some of the software in the core framework (which you don't have to use at all, but certainly speed development up). There are folks using P-roc, and some of the other pinballcontroller boards to do RGB, use an LCD instead of a DMD and control Servos -- not saying all of that is directly done on the P-roc, but all of that is being done in conjunction with using a P-roc. You might want to go look through the forum at pinballcontrollers.com to see what is being done, even if you go it on your own, you may find some valuable tidbits.
Obviously if you are a electronics/software engineer and feel you can create all the needed interfaces, driver boards, etc. more power to you. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I've been trying to absorb a lot of the information on pinballcontrollers.com. I'm especially interested in your input given your experience with your family pin.

I'm not going to lie, the P3-ROC actually looks really badass, and I'd love to try it for this project. I just hate the ~$500 entry point. I may eventually get to it, because I'm in proof-of-concept mode at the moment, and who knows what will change as I experiment with stuff. I'm not even sure the Beaglebone and propeller is the right combo or will be able to do what I need it to do. Gotta start somewhere though.

If someone wants to donate a P3-ROC, a few SW-16 boards, and a few drivers, I wouldn't turn it down.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I would go with WS2811 for the RGB LEDs. They make the LEDS with the chip built in. Will be cheaper and simpler to wire.

I think those LEDs are really cool, but I don't particularly care for the shift register style LED chains.

Quoted from Kneissl:

If you want to try out a standard proc, you're welcome to borrow mine.

I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on it in the future.

In the meantime though, lemme see if BadBrick wants to get together sometime soon and play some pins over here. I'll PM you some info. You can check out what I've got so far and give me some pointers.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveW:

I wish I could give you twenty thumbs up for this.

I'll add something with the alien, it's too good to leave out. Question is... what?

Maybe the torso of the guy somewhere in the design, hit something enough times and the alien pushes up through two doors, like an upside down bomb bay doors?

Or maybe more to it like some kind of moving target that comes out from one side and goes across the playfield or a ramp or something, and you have to hit it as it dances across?

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

you said 480i but what resolution/size lcd will you drive with the BBB, I ask because the black tops out with a low resolution, and if the resolution gets too high you lose sound as the sound bus/dotclock is shared between the video...

my diy pin is using a rpi to do video/sound and pic32 chips for the master controller/switch/lighting etc. the bbb could not drive my lcd properly so switched to rpi (which has shit GPIO but the BBB has awesome GPIO!)

I'm decently nervous about the BBB not being able to drive the LCD. I was targeting a resolution of 1280x720. Most of the screen will be drawn with text, and I was planning on a video window of 840x450, not exactly 16:9, but i'm cutting the video up anyway, might as well make it fit what I want with nice rounded numbers.

Here is the breakdown i kinda had planned. Given your experience with the BBB, you think I'll be able to do drive this LCD setup with it?

ScreenBreakdown.jpgScreenBreakdown.jpg
#126 10 years ago

I dont know any LCD computer monitor thats has a native resolution of 1280x720. Is it a TV maybe?

To be honest I haven't gotten that far yet. It probably will be a TV since I can exploit a $100 mediocre 19" that will upscale my 1280x720 to the native 1366 x 768, for right now I've got the BBB hooked up without audio to the HDMI in on my laptop, just running on the console right now.

Maybe something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/19-class-18-1-2-diag--led-720p-60hz-hdtv/5606251.p?id=1218671114012&skuId=5606251&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

I got my initial SD Card image configured and built for the BBB, and then moved on to working on the propeller and the switches/LEDs. I was waiting on some speakers to arrive before I moved on to the audio/video tests. I got a standalone USB audio dongle as well to try instead of the audio over HDMI, just as an experiment.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Let me know if my skills are at all of any help.

Thanks!

Anyone got any opinion on switch matrices? I was considering the Maxim 7370 to drive an 8x8 matrix. The "time sensitive" switches like slingshots, pop bumpers, a couple optos, and flippers are all going to be connected directly to the propeller. I just need something to drive the other switches.

What are you guys using?

Link to Maxim 7370 datasheet: http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX7370.pdf

#131 10 years ago

what are you doing for graphics?

I'm hopefully going to be able to get Java and JavaFX running on the ubuntu install I've got set up.

Second experiment will be to load up Android on it and build the game as an apk.

how do you like the propeller, I toyed with it for my diy pinball for a while, using propgcc but its just very limiting as far as ram/cogs etc all go and propgcc felt very alpha is even tho its in beta or something.

I like the propeller a lot. I've used it for half a dozen projects now, and am pretty familiar with it. propgcc and SimpleIDE are absolute garbage. It pains me to use them, but I like some of the unique features of the propeller that keep me coming back to it. A lot of my coding on it was previously done in spin or propeller asm. I'm trying to break out of that and code in c++ for this one, but propgcc and simpleide are so frustrating. I've been coding in .NET almost exclusively for the past decade. Visual Studio has spoiled me beyond repair.

As an example, one of the advantages of the propeller for this project is the RGB LED control. For those that don't know, this processor has 8 processors inside of it that run simultaneously. The company that made the chip calls them "cogs". I've set up a set block of memory shared by all of the cogs to store the 12 bit brightness level of the 24 LEDs in my test. 3 LEDs per RGB LED, so it's 8 RGB LEDs total. One cog is dedicated to shifting those 288 bits out, then flipping the latch for the RGB controller, over and over again. That way any other cog that wants to mess with the LEDs can do so, just by putting values into that block of memory, and not worry about sending it out to the actual LED controller.

When I clock the propeller up to 80Mhz, it will more than handle the max serial rate on the LED controllers, and only eat up one cog in the process.

#134 10 years ago

I never ran simpleide its pure shit, I just used makefiles with SlickEdit on my linux box. I built propgcc from source about once a week to keep it up to date and test some stuff. propeller is awesome in that its soooo simple, but its downside its very small cog ram, lack of main ram, and that it locks half its address space up with crappy tables and useless rom code for shit I dont need (tv out, a crappy font etc). I am really looking forward to the propeller2 and what it brings!

So with you there. It'll just be operating as a slave to the BBB, so hopefully I will be able to keep it small. You know how these things go though, haha.

does java/javafx give you an easy way to hit gpio? or do you have to do something funky to get to that low level outside of the jvm?

No clue yet, lol. In searching for some info on it, I've seen a couple of people just using java file access to write/read the GPIO, but I think that's going to be way too slow for what I need. From what I understand, those GPIO are actually mapped somewhere in memory as well, getting to them will be the challenge.

#136 10 years ago

Got a bigger update coming this weekend, but just saw in the MMR thread that they are using a beaglebone black to power the MMR. That makes me feel a little better.

167273 (1).jpg167273 (1).jpg
#138 10 years ago

yep. very cool. modular solenoid driver boards doing 8 solenoids each too.

I wish I could read the designations off of the 4 larger chips to the lower left of the BBB. You got any ideas? I was thinking 2 of them are LED drivers, but I can't tell what exactly.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Just wanted to add this to the post:
Eagle 5 proto

That is freaking awesome!

Then I saw that it's $180, heh. http://goldenarmor.com/spaceballs/2012/7/20/spaceballs-eagle-5-replica.html

3 weeks later
#143 10 years ago

Christmas gave me some time to work on the game and test out some of my hardware concepts.

Here is the first test rig I've got up. The display is a 19" samsung TV.

first_test_rig1.jpgfirst_test_rig1.jpg

Here are the RGB LEDs I am testing with. They are pretty bright, but I haven't tested them with inserts yet. I don't know that they will be bright enough in the machine. That's ok though, the real hardware can run really big LEDs if need be.

There are 24 RGB LEDs hooked up serially in groups of 8. Gives me a total of 72 controlled LEDs right now. I am just using simple Adafruit TLC5947 boards (http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2013/06/28/new-product-adafruit-24-channel-12-bit-pwm-led-driver-spi-interface-tlc5947/) because I had 2 already, and ordered 1 more for good measure.

I am currently driving the LEDs at 30 frames per second, there is some headroom either way though.

first_test_rgb_leds1.jpgfirst_test_rgb_leds1.jpg

Here is the switch test rig I have going. The green board with the little black dot is a custom piece I had made up by the guys at proto-advantage.com. It's the maxim MAX7370 chip, which is a 8x8 matrix driver. It will give me 64 switches in the switch matrix. There is no way I can solder a QFN-24 chip, so I had them put it on a DIP adapter for me. The switches on the right side of the breadboard are directly hooked up to the propeller, and serve as my real time switches for things like flippers, pop bumpers, slingshots, etc.. There is a debounce chip I have to go between them, but that's not going in until I get my first revision of the propeller board finished.

first_test_switches1.jpgfirst_test_switches1.jpg

Here is the parallax propeller I am testing with. It's their Propeller Activity Board, which only gives me access to about half of the I/O pins on the breakout, but has some nice testing features built into it.

first_test_propeller1.jpgfirst_test_propeller1.jpg

Here is the Raspberry Pi that I'm currently using. I had all of this set up with the Beaglebone Black, and it met with an unfortunate accident. While I'm waiting on the replacement, I am using the Pi as a fill in. I've been writing the code in python, so right now it's running fine on the Pi.

All the code does right now is boot up, load my sound and video assets, and some basic communication with the propeller. No game elements have really been added yet other than my test stuff.

first_test_raspberrypi1.jpgfirst_test_raspberrypi1.jpg

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ok this is no longer talk, you really are making this thing. Can't wait to see a playfield layout

Haha, yeah. I am going to work on a draft of the playfield this weekend, if time allows. It's taken me a bit to get a solid idea together in my head, as more toys and modes get fleshed out. The game rules have changed slightly as well, but I haven't finished typing them all up. I've gotten some amazing suggestions, and I wan't to make sure to incorporate them if possible.

Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

Holy crap. I'm new to Pinside and I'm just now seeing this thread. If I didn't do the Goonies, this would have been my next theme. So much amazing material to pull from in that movie. I will be following this thread very closely.

Cool! I'm following your Goonies thread, because it is definitely in my top 10 movies that we can watch over and over again. If we get Goonies and Spaceballs together in the same room, it will be completely awesome.

And I'll owe you a truffle shuffle.

#154 10 years ago

If we can get Spaceballs, Ghostbusters, and Goonies at the same show, it would be epic.

Definitely!!

#157 10 years ago

I'd keep an eye on his podcast.

Will do, thanks for the heads up! I love the stuff he does. I cooked the crap out of my beaglebone a week or so ago, and have been using a Raspberry Pi as a fill in. It's actually working better than I expected. I'll go back to the bone once I get it back from their RMA dept.

I'm coming down there when this is done to finally have a drink with you and play this and that F-14

You are more than welcome anytime. The wife is welcome too if she so chooses. Gotta promise you won't be too hard on F-14 though, I doubt it's near the quality you are putting out.

Quoted from Linolium:

Can't wait to see the sketch/draft!

I'm getting there soon hopefully, I started laying things out and got frustrated that I wasn't near a machine to steal measurements from. I switched back to code in protest, and haven't quite made it back to the playfield yet.

I'm pulling the glass on NASCAR and Spiderman tonight for other reasons, so I plan to take a bunch of detailed dimensions and get that part out of the way.

#161 10 years ago

I'm in all day off-sites this week so I'm sketching playfields. This was from this morning. I can explain later if need be.

The center tractor beam window will have a model Mercedes under it that moves toward spaceball one during that mode.

Top right is mostly empty at the moment.

20140121_100235.jpg20140121_100235.jpg

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I think your scale is off

It's hard in a hotel conference room, while trying to pretend like I'm interested.

Quoted from rosh:

I like the retro feel with the saucer locks, makes sense since the movie is from the late 80s.

The geometry will be stolen from CFTBL for the left one. I'm not sold on the right one yet, it was just a placeholder.

Quoted from rosh:

19 balls, huh, that should be pretty crazy.

Otherwise known as "as many little circles as would fit in the box I hastily drew". Another pinsider, WileECoyote, came up with the concept of self-destruct multiball. It's a homage to the scene where all the spaceballs flood off the ship to the escape pods. The drain has a diverter in it to keep the proper balls in the regular trough, but there is another storage area on the left.

The hair dryer really just conceals a feeding/shooting mechanism that will launch the balls up the playfield at half second increments.

Quoted from rosh:

Be cool if the tractor beam window went both ways, the caddy going towards the ship and the Eagle 5 leaving the ship, during their respective modes.

You're killing me, but I do love a challenge.....

Quoted from Kneissl:

how about some inline drop targets?

Good suggestion! I've been trying to figure out what to do with the upper right playfield, i might change the air lock combination into in-line drops up in that area, and do something different with the mid-left.

I am in more all day meetings today, so I'll sketch out another with some changes. If you have any more feedback, please keep it coming. I'm not going to claim to even be following the proper process, I'm just winging it.

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You could use a similar approach with just a single large trough in the bottom portion of the game, not sure why you would need the second "standard" trough, just going to create more complexity.

The second one isn't a standard trough. Think of it like a paintball gun hopper. I really do want it to hold 12-15 balls (in addition to the regular game balls), so I've been working on a rotating feed mech that will cycle the balls from the hopper to the coil to fire them out of the hair dryer.

Also, there's the suggestion of making the escaping spaceballs a different type of ball, or a different design. Keeping them separate would be required for that.

The general idea in the software for this mode is that all 4-5 regular balls need to be returned to the regular trough before the escape mode begins. Same for ending the escape mode. Not sure how feasible that is yet though.

Quoted from rosh:

I'm sure I don't have to tell you the problems a game will have when it does not have an accurate count.

I want to hear anything you have to say, even if you think its worthless. You've done this already. You're like my yoda right now.

Quoted from Linolium:

Consolidate the 3 ramp exits into one exit over the jets. The VUK out of the middle lock could also connect to your transporter tube hidden behind the backboard. The 3 (or 2) ramp exits could be connected via a funnel over the jets (like Transporter and CFBL's funnel). Using a funnel would make combining the transporter ramp and plunger lane ramp a bit easier.

I like the funnel idea! When I had drawn this sketch, i wasnt even sure where the pop bumpers would be, so I kinda misaligned the ramps.

Quoted from arcadenerd925:

+1, i was just going to suggest to pls "open source" it, as i assume you'd have to buy royalties to really "sell it", but if fans of the movie want to make their own toy for their own house, why not?

Definitely! I have a SVN code repository with this code and assets in it, and plan to release everything except the clips of audio/video from the movie. I'll just provide the time codes for the clips, and it will be up to the person who owns the movie and is building the machine to chop it up. if someone wants to monetize it, let's talk and move forward on that. I reached out to MGM, but haven't heard back yet.

Keep the suggestions coming!! I drew a few more sketches today, but I like some of these ideas and want to incorporate them.

#175 10 years ago

I'll leave it up to rosh to decide if he wants to post the info, but I do want to publicly thank him for the message he sent me.

He has already spent a decent chunk of time helping me avoid some of the same mistakes, and I'm a complete stranger to him.

Thanks rosh!

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

You could just make it so the model flips over. So, as it is going to the tractor beam you see the Mercedes, and then when you complete that mode, it flips over to be the Eagle 5 escaping, at which point you possibly begin another mode...for example lead into ludicrous speed...

That's how I figure I'll do it if I can figure a way for it to fit in the modes well.

I suppose I am going to put the model on a long screw drive, with a guide "fin" that is part of the model (the wings or something). Instead of locking the fin into a double walled guide, I am going to let the fin push against a single guide on each side depending on what way it's rotated. When the screw drive is rotated in one direction, the model spins with it until the fin hits the guide rail hidden in it, and then holds position, making it move along the screw as its rotated. When it rotates the other way, the model does a 180 degree rotation with the screw until the fin hits the guide rail on the other side, and causes it to stop rotating so it will move along the screw.

I'm going to try to see how that can fit in the modes before I go drawing it up.

1 month later
#186 10 years ago

Haha. I'm still here.

My life has been a little too crazy to post a coherent status update, but I got my beaglebone back from repair and I have been working on code.

I'll get you all something a little juicier this weekend. I've been having fun picking out the audio/video clips.

1 week later
#188 10 years ago

I'm still holding on the update, I'm transferring all of my disjointed notes into a more coherent design doc.

I do want to get opinions on what "form factor" I should use for the cabinet/playfield. I had initially thought WPC, because the flat-pack CNC'd ones I've seen online are mostly WPC.

What are your thoughts? Does it come down to which playfield mounting system/lockdown is best?

Should I be using a modern stern cabinet?

#190 10 years ago

Oh cool, I definitely want to check that out.

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

parts availability and finding parts is a factor you need to consider. I went with a WPC cabinet since that is what I am most used to, and I was able to get a free cabinet to at least start with. I lucked into some of the necessary playfield mounting hardware on ebay, which was a lot cheaper then buying new. Lockdown receivers, lockdown bars, and hangers are definitely available, not sure if anyone sells the slides that mount the playfield to the game.

Yeah, that's the problem I am running into. Part of the latest additions to the design document is my first pass at sourcing some of the major components, like the cabinet.

I'm wondering if I should try to find a WPC game that has been stripped of all its boards/transformer/etc.., and go from there. Anyone got one they want to sell REALLY cheap?

2 weeks later
#194 10 years ago

I figured I would post an update, since I've been promising one. I wanted to get more into this doc before I shared it the first time, but I realized I will just keep telling myself that until I finish the entire thing, lol. It's mostly ideas we've already talked about in this thread, just more coherent and organized.

I would love any suggestions you have, just don't be too brutal. This is my first attempt at a pinball machine, so I'm bound to screw up almost everything at least once, if not twice.

Hmm, looks like I can't attach a PDF to my post, so here it is on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF5bPpteXJCem9FMWpLaGdEb0k/edit?usp=sharing

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Betting right now you are also thinking " . . . and not quite as easy as I thought it would be"

Not entirely, but a little. . I've got no deadline, and it's fun to do.

The thing I am still most afraid of is the cut/art for the playfield. I'll get it designed, but getting the actual plywood cut and routed gives me a little anxiety. I can't decide what the proper way to do the art on the playfield is either.

Right now I'm leaning toward stencils and airbrush, then send it to someone like vid or Whridlsoncestood to have it clear coated. The problem with that is that it isn't reproducible very easily if someone else wanted to take the plans and build their own.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For my custom game, been leaning towards an overlay, but still have no even designed the art.

What kind of material for the overlay? Printed on some vinyl like Controltac? Would you clear over it?

#202 10 years ago

Bookmarked, thanks!

I think that sounds like a much better option, and it will allow me to use more actual graphics vs what I could handle doing with an airbrush.

#210 10 years ago

I don't mind the discussion in here, maybe it will help someone.

To answer the original question, I'm a pretty good programmer. . I also understand how the hardware works, I've coded in assembly in some fashion for 25+ years.

Today I manage a team of principal developers and architects. Full disclosure, BadBrick is one of them. I still somehow end up writing code on an almost daily basis. I love it to be honest.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Is Pizza the Hut going to get any love/feature/coverage?

For sure, Barf, Dot Matrix, Vinny, and some others too.

1 week later
#216 10 years ago

Doin a big spaceballs blitz this weekend, with the goal of completing the power supply designs.

I've put off the math as long as I can, lol.

#218 10 years ago

My son was sick, so I didn't get as far as I would like, but here is the initial alpha version of the hub for the flashers.

**Disclaimer: I posted this before I've even breadboarded it, so there may be huge mistakes in the schematic. Don't build this.

It uses the LT3976 switching regulator to give me approximately 17-18 volts to drive the flasher circuits. I picked a switching regulator over a linear regulator because of the heat and the voltages I am dealing with. I picked 17-18 volts because I am going to drive 5 LEDs in series for each color channel. Putting the power regulator on the actual hub board gives me the advantage of having the power supply close, helping to reduce any visible flickering/dimming from LEDs when other's cut on/off. It also limits the load of this particular regulator to the flashers only.

Each flasher will consist of 15 LEDs (5 red, 5 green, 5 blue). I am using some pretty standard 5050 SMD LEDs, so the highest Vf is with the green LEDs at 3.3Vf. Multiply by 5 and that gives me 16.5Vf total that I need to supply (hence the 17-18v).

I am also going use the TLC5947 as my PWM driver for the flashers. The LEDs have a maximum current of 20mA, so I am using the 5947 to drive a constant current of 20mA. To make life easier, I'm using Adafruit's already designed breakout board for the 5947.

You can find Lady Ada's breakout here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1429

This hub will give me control of 48 individual color channels, or 16 RGB flashers. If I use all 16 flasher spots, that will be 240 LEDs driven by this hub.

Any electrical/design comments would be much appreciated. As I said this is a first pass at the design. There will be similar hubs for regular insert LEDs and GI leds.

The idea is that these hubs will connect back to the main board via the same types jacks you use for networking on a computer.

FlasherHubSchematic.pngFlasherHubSchematic.png
#220 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Love the layout you did, this would probably be a helpful template for others doing custom pinballs!

Cool. When I release all of the design materials (specifically access to my source repository), the MS Publisher source file (vs. the pdf) will be there if people want to re-use it.

If someone wants something sooner, just PM me and let me know. I don't want to waste time on a public SVN branch if I don't have to. I've got film clips and stuff in there that I shouldn't distribute. I'll have to cordon those off before making it public.

Next steps are the schematics for the Insert/GI hub and the solenoid hub. Then I'll be breadboarding and testing the actual circuits to make sure my math isn't way off base. Then, PCB design and manufacture.

Then I'll move onto the main processing board schematic, testing and then PCB.

That will give me a workable set of hardware that I can use to begin working on the actual playfield and toys with.

3 months later
#225 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Can't believe I haven't seen this before. Any more progress on this, it sounds awesome.

There has been some progress, but not the "interesting enough to post" kind.

As Kneissl mentioned, I've been working on the design for the controller board. I'm lucky enough to have access to a brilliant friend that has been helping me by reviewing the designs and giving me feedback on them. The downside to that is that it makes a whole lot of work for me.

Right now, he is helping with the switch matrix. The discussion is about bulletproofing the matrix with ESD and other protections (overcurrent/overvolt/etc..). The component count starts to go up significantly when we start to talk about adding hardware to help handle all of those. 16 inputs multiplied by 5-8 more components drives a BoM up quickly. Kind of a "what's good enough?" question.

If anyone has any opinion, I'm all ears.

Progress is slow, but that's the way this project is going to go. I started 3D modeling the Spaceball One mechs as well, but got sidetracked with this controller stuff (3 months ago). I want to get this board done and tested so I can move on to the code, which is what I really enjoy.

3 weeks later
#226 9 years ago

I figured it was time for another update. Sorry for the wall of text this became.

The controller board has grown from something specific to Spaceballs to something I think some of you could have a lot of fun messing with.

The design got walked up from a hobbyist design to something really bulletproof. I am hoping to have the first prototype set of boards back to me and populated by late fall, pending another review of the schematic and PCB art with my friend. I'm not even going to try to take credit for some of the ideas he has put into this thing.

Hopefully some of the features will give some courage to people who want to tinker with this kind of stuff, without breaking the bank. Features like solenoid fault detection. You can short out the transistor, among other cruel things, and it can recover without blowing. The board even knows which solenoid had the fault. Other features include really robust serial links (both i2C and SPI (or bit-bang, your choice), 8x8 protected switch matrix, voltage monitoring on all of the voltage lines (solenoid, LED, etc..), and some other things I can't wait to show you. I will be releasing the design, documentation, PCB artwork, API, etc... under some public license. If you want to build your own, you will be able to. The components are 90% surface mount though, and some of them aren't the easiest packages for beginners. Maybe someone will be interested in assembling a few for a fee or something.

It does require a computer to drive it, and the API is in .NET, because that's where I'm most comfortable. The API can be used easily in Microsoft's free Visual Studio Express. The USB commands for it will be in the documentation, so you could technically connect it to anything with a USB port that you can write code on. Just to set expectations though, it's not a game API like pyprocgame is. It's a simple event driven API with generic objects like "Solenoid" and "Switch".

Do I need a puppet video?

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Pretty sure there's dozens of board fab houses that will happily stick individual components on a board with flux and run it through a wave solder machine, better than pulling your hair out

For sure. I just don't know if I have the desire to be the one that deals with selling it to people or organizing a group buy.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think homebrew people would be much more apt to learn visual programming than raw code.

I'm hoping that's true. It's still code though, Visual Studio doesn't make things drag or drop or anything, but Spaceballs will be a good example of how to use the hardware. Using a windows machine and .NET opens up some other fun possibilities too. Ever wonder how a Kinect can be integrated into a pinball game?

With this boardset, you also have access to some fun modules like NFC/RFID, Bluetooth, and accelerometers. Lots of possibilities.

#230 9 years ago

hopefully I could run it off a single board PC running win7 embedded or something. At least it makes the GUI/graphics programming easier that using X on *nix.

I would like to confidently say yes, but I won't know for a bit. As long as it could power whatever display setup you want to use, I don't see any reason why not.

You are right about the graphics being a big part of why I went the route I did. I was first planning to write a bunch of python and tap into the power of pyprocgame, but I found myself getting pretty frustrated having to look up syntax for code that I just knew how to do in .NET. I felt it was a waste of time to keep running into linux/python issues when they wouldn't even be a second thought in .NET where I belong.

It's not a slight on pyprocgame, because that code is really solid. Python just isn't a language I felt comfortable in due to my own lack of experience there.

#232 9 years ago

nice, thats some neat sounding work. What chip are you using to do voltage monitoring? I have been looking at some Maxim chips, I think the DS1233x series I know does 3.3 + 5v threshold voltages

I'm actually just using some simple voltage dividers, with some added overdrive protection. Had some ADC pins left over so I figured I would do something with them.

#234 9 years ago

so you plan to have your boards made around autumn?

Yeah.

I've got most of December off from work, and I'd like to have the boards back by then so I can use the time to test.

Going to solder up my solenoid test board today, its exciting getting boards back.

Haha, good feeling. Junkies for that smell of solder and fresh PCB.

1 week later
#235 9 years ago

Just FYI, Spaceballs is now on Hulu Plus!

2 months later
#241 9 years ago

It's cool to see some posts in here.

I'm off of work all week, so I've been spending some time finalizing the design for the controller board and getting ready to send it to the board house.

That will get it back here in time for my december vacation for assembly and initial testing.

I also bought a 3D printer, so I am able to more quickly prototype parts for the machine. First up is the Spaceball One ship mechanisms.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Which one did you pick up? Also if you need any modeling help let me know.

Got a Printrbot Simple Metal with a heated bed. Just got it last week though so I am still learning. It's taken me a dozen or so prints to get my Slic3r settings dialed in, but it's printing beautiful prints now.

What software do you use for modeling? I'm currently using Sketchup because it's what I've used for years, but I'm open to something better.

10671323_10153440084203569_301079759855727570_n.jpg10671323_10153440084203569_301079759855727570_n.jpg
#247 9 years ago

I would love to see some examples of your test prints. Very curious about the quality and detail. Thanks!

I'm still dialing in the quality, but this literally just came off the printer.

It's a bracket I modeled quickly to hang a movie screen off the interior of my garage door. You can see on some of my seams it over extrudes giving a little push out on the sides sometimes, but other than that it's pretty sharp. I've got it on .2mm per layer, but supposedly this machine can do .1mm. I haven't seen how slow that is yet, I've got the speed yanked up a bit to get these brackets cranked out.

DSC01285 (Medium).JPGDSC01285 (Medium).JPG DSC01286 (Medium).JPGDSC01286 (Medium).JPG DSC01292 (Medium).JPGDSC01292 (Medium).JPG DSC01294 (Medium).JPGDSC01294 (Medium).JPG DSC01295 (Medium).JPGDSC01295 (Medium).JPG
#249 9 years ago

Man, that looks pretty good to me. I could work with that.
I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas. Ha!

This is my first 3D printer, but I have nothing but good things to say about this printrbot. I bought the simple metal kit with heated bed. It took me about 3 hours to put together. I followed someone's assembly videos on YouTube.

If only had it for a week so I'm just beginning to really understand what all of the settings do, and how speed and temperature factor in.

1 week later
#253 9 years ago

Been working on the Spaceball One toy. The look is based on some other models I've seen, but redrawn to be more dimensionally friendly with what I am trying to accomplish.

SpaceballOne_WIP.jpgSpaceballOne_WIP.jpg

1 week later
#255 9 years ago

Been using the 3D printer to help me prototype and test.

Just started printing out what I refer to as "insert test blocks". I'm wanting to start tuning my LED control and programming, but needed to make sure the LEDs I've chosen look good.

I created these little blocks to hold an insert and one of my LED boards, so I can see what looks best under real inserts and also refine the coding so the effects and color changing look good.

I'll post a video once I get into testing them, so you can see some of the LED effects in motion.

DSC01323 (Medium).JPGDSC01323 (Medium).JPG
DSC01324 (Medium).JPGDSC01324 (Medium).JPG

PS - extrusion temp was too high for the first layer and that's why it looks a little rough on the top.

1 month later
#258 9 years ago

Just a little update on what I've been doing...

I've been working on the Tractor Beam playfield toy a little, to get it ironed out before I start on some other parts.

I talked a little about the first prototype in Aurich's whitewood thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood/page/4#post-2125544).

Since then, I have been working on a much better prototype. It's way more robust than the first. The entire assembly consists of a motor block, a bearing block, and 3 pieces of channel extension between the two blocks.

Here is the current concept for the motor block:

Interior of the motor blockInterior of the motor block
Exterior of the motor blockExterior of the motor block
Interior of the assembled motor block prototypeInterior of the assembled motor block prototype
Exterior of the assembled motor block prototypeExterior of the assembled motor block prototype

Here is the current concept for the bearing block:

Interior of the bearing blockInterior of the bearing block
Exterior of the bearing blockExterior of the bearing block
Parts for the bearing blockParts for the bearing block
Plate on securing the bearingPlate on securing the bearing
Assembled view from the interiorAssembled view from the interior

And the current concept for the extension channel:

3D model of the channel3D model of the channel
Printed prototypePrinted prototype
RGB Board for lighting effects, 1 per extension channelRGB Board for lighting effects, 1 per extension channel
Test fit for the RGB boardTest fit for the RGB board

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

nice work on the light / insert jig and the space ball Tractor Beam

Thanks swinks!

Quoted from gliebig:

Build it and take my money. ☺

I don't want your money. Maybe we can cross that bridge in a couple years, but for now this is just fun for me to do.

Quoted from Robotoes:

Are you basically going to try and 3D print everything that is possible to?

Everything that doesn't exist, yes. 75% of what I need already exists (flippers, slingshots, kickouts, drop targets, etc....) I don't need to recreate the wheel on those, I'll just buy the assemblies from pinball life or somewhere.

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Crazy. You have a friend to create the pcbs for you or something? That looks very professional.

I use either OSHPark.com, AdvancedCircuits, or Futurlec depending on what I need. The RGB board pictured was done at OSHPark.com using my design.

#266 9 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Following closely now. I have a buddy who works for a big time 3D printing firm. They have some incredible equipment. If you ever need something insane done, drop a line, I would be happy to connect you guys.

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that one day.

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

How does the tractor beam toy fit into the playfield? looks like a huge mech.

The channel goes under the playfield going from between the flippers to the front of Spaceball One. There will be a rectangular window in the playfield that lets you see the ships going back and forth.

Think of it as taking up the area the lower playfield takes up on AC/DC. The length will be adjusted once I have an actual whitewood to mess with, but for now it's this long as a prototype.

I've got most of the assembly built, I am waiting on a test model of the winnebago to print, and then I'll post a pic of the full assembly.

#270 9 years ago

You'll have to come check it out sometime. Only got 1 game at the moment, but it's always fun to shoot the shit. Im sure rick would come out too.

#272 9 years ago

The plan right now is to possibly get one at SFGE in June if I can find a way to transport it back.

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Pick up a nib! They deliver to your door

It's going to have to be a special game I really want for me to do NIB. I definitely want the experience at some point, but with the current state of NIB machines, I'm not interested yet.

Quoted from Kneissl:

Edit: to bring it back on topic. What's the next mech you're going to build/print?

Next up is the Spaceball One mech. This is just a prototype drawing, never been printed or tested yet, so there are obviously a LOT of things I need to tweak on it. There are body panels that get put over the skeleton, removable for maintenance/cleaning.

hDBykQL.jpghDBykQL.jpg

#277 9 years ago

Got more work done on the prototype tractor beam assembly.

Here are some pics and a video of it in operation. Powered by a drill at the moment, because the stepper isn't hooked up yet. The movement is MUCH smoother than the first prototype. The car models sit on a tensioned carriage that has two nuts inside being pushed apart by a spring.

The stepper motor end with a spider couplingThe stepper motor end with a spider coupling

The bearing endThe bearing end

The entire assembly with carriageThe entire assembly with carriage

Sorry for the cheesy music in the video, I had to get rid of the shop noise somehow.

1 week later
#284 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Zack Galafianakis as another dog character. He's fat and funny

He got thin, lol.

518619141_c_o.jpg518619141_c_o.jpg

I'd like to see a Craig Robinson mawg.

39-craig-robinson-funniest-actors-300x300-1366654816.jpg39-craig-robinson-funniest-actors-300x300-1366654816.jpg

#286 9 years ago

Just a couple more small updates.

Got the RGB leds installed on the side of the tractor beam toy. Just using a little 5V adafruit trinket for the testing, using the adafruit neopixel library.

I also got the first printed prototype of the Spaceball One ball lock printed out, so I've been fooling with it looking at what I need to change for the second print. This is just the skeleton of the mech, there are body panels that go on the outside. The mega maid mech goes behind this one on the playfield.

SpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_1.jpgSpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_1.jpg

SpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_2.jpgSpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_2.jpg

SpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_3.jpgSpaceballOneLock_Prototype1_3.jpg

1 month later
#288 9 years ago

Don't be too sad. I had a disaster in the shop and had my main development laptop die. I didn't lose any data, but I have had to spend a couple of weeks getting everything set back up and configured.

I got sidetracked building a little "cookie selection wheel" for my daughter's Girl Scout Troop.

kates_wheel.jpgkates_wheel.jpg

I'll be back onto Spaceballs soon enough. I've gone through 1 revision of the controller and decided to split it out into a few smaller, more modular boards.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tell you what, my wife and I toasted the end of cookie selling season the other night.
That's awesome, I sent that photo to her.

We just turned in all of our money yesterday. We sold just over 650 boxes. So glad to be done with that mess, lol. My wife was making deliveries like it was her job.

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My wife is the troop leader, we don't turn in money, we receive it. Since I work from home I'm always answering the door for that, or during selling season hooking up various people from the stash in the garage. So glad that's done.
Until next year ...
Hey, the things we do for our kids though. Can't be doing pinball all the time!

Major props to your wife for being the troop leader, that's a demanding gig.

Dads & daughters man, what else can we do? They've got us wrapped around their fingers.

4 months later
#296 8 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for posting that. Those are good reference photos too.

I've been working on the "Infinity Trough" for handling the large number of balls for multiball. One of these days I'll put together a real update.

1 month later
#299 8 years ago

Been a while since I posted an update, so here goes.

Changing the hardware over to FAST has been exciting and fun to do. I made a post in the FAST pinball thread about the initial switch, which you can read here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-pinball/page/4#post-2631947

Since then, I've been working on the power systems for the game. I decided to use switching supplies, so I needed a good secure way to mount them. I also wanted to put in some panel voltmeters for the different voltage rails, to give me a quick reassurance that they are healthy.

First up was to design a set of brackets:

Front BracketFront Bracket

Rear BracketRear Bracket

When I printed the first front bracket, I noticed a slight problem. I had blocked access to the screw terminals. Whoops. You can see v1 on the front right, and v2 in the back left in this pic:

Open Access vs Closed AccessOpen Access vs Closed Access

Eventually ended up with a mount I am happy with for the first prototype.

largesupply_brackets_sideview.jpglargesupply_brackets_sideview.jpg

For the voltmeter tower, I just made a simple tower angled back a bit:

Voltmeter Tower DrawingVoltmeter Tower Drawing

Printed it out, and voila!

Voltmeter TowerVoltmeter Tower

Next steps are to get all of the supplies mounted to a board and wired up to get ready for the next phase.

largesupply_frontbracket_frontview.jpglargesupply_frontbracket_frontview.jpg

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

You should have embossed "Spaceballs the bracket" on the sides.

Dammit, that's a really good idea.

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from JosephT:

Can't believe the talent on display here. After reading the first page I was like 'meh, this will never go anywhere but cool theme'. Then I skip to page 6 and was like holy shit, this guys got skills!!
Good luck and please see this project all the way through. Love what you've shown us so far!

Thanks!

The project will definitely keep moving. I'm constrained first by budget, then second by time. I'll be bringing the first prototype to SFGE in Atlanta in June 2016, so I'll probably be posting more frequent updates as I progress towards that.

There is a lot of work going on that I just don't post about too. For example, I've been working on a very primitive RGB animation editor, to make creating lightshows for the FAST hardware easier. The animations it dumps out can be fed directly into my .NET framework.

Here is a video of the proof of concept, showing a VERY early version of the code where I was just testing some things.

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

as long as we're tossing ideas around (don't know if this idea has been mentioned), there should be a prince valium mode. All the coils (Vuk's, flippers, slings) all get real soft and sleepy, and the GI gets real dim.

Keep the ideas coming! I like the prince valium mode idea a lot.

BadBrick and I were just talking at work about how I wanted to do a mode where the flippers got weaker, but I wasn't sure where to fit it in. Looks like you just solved that.

#311 8 years ago

It's raining here, but nothing stops the Spaceballs.

We didn't need the shower anyway....

showerpainting.jpgshowerpainting.jpg

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, and you probably already thought of it, but in case you haven't, have you reached out to anyone who can do voice impressions to add custom phrases?

I haven't, but it's a good idea!

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I think the three pins I find myself most eagerly awaiting updates for are Spaceballs: The Pinball, Alien, and Timeshock. I'm that exact order.

Thanks! Aliens and Timeshock will put Spaceballs to shame, but I appreciate the enthusiasm .

If there's anything you'd really like to make sure is in the game, make a post about it. I'd love to make sure this really ticks as many boxes as I can!

#319 8 years ago

Found time to get the power supply put together this weekend.

The only bummer is that the 5V supply I ordered is DOA, so until the replacement comes in that circuit is dead.

Thanks to DeeGor's suggestion, here is Spaceballs: The Power Supply

powersupply_1.jpgpowersupply_1.jpg

powersupply_3.jpgpowersupply_3.jpg

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

That's some massive power

There's lots of stuff on this game.

#324 8 years ago

Just basic cheap supplies from eBay/China. I got a 48V 8.3A for coils. 12V 30A for steppers, some lighting, and hardware. 5V 40A for lots of logic, RGB LEDs, and other fun stuff.

Having 3 supplies is overkill, i could have gotten away with a combined 12 and 5, but my personal experience with them hasn't been super positive. Changing loads on one rail can sometime effect the other rail, which isn't really desirable.

#328 8 years ago

Are you still thinking of "open sourcing" this build once finished? (sans artwork of course, wink wink nod nod) If I had the time to do a custom pin, i'd probably attempt this too.

Absolutely. All of my 3D models, code, schematics, etc... will be released. I'm sure a torrent would probably pop up with the audio/video. Damn hackers.

#330 8 years ago

5v power supply is completely dead. It was dead on arrival but I didn't test it prior to putting it in.

New one arrives tomorrow along with some more black filament so I can reprint that orange bracket as black, I had run out this past weekend.

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Oh those are 3D printed? What else did you print from scratch?

Lots of stuff!

On that power supply, all of the brackets, the mount for the fuse block, and the voltmeter tower are all 3D printed.

The main Spaceball One spaceship mech is all 3D printed. My trough is 3D printed as well.

Lots more too.

#334 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Playfield? I kid, I kid.

Haha, don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. The technology just isn't quite there yet. It could be done *maybe* as a one off, but the print would take astronomical time and a huge area.

Good plywood is still the best choice, IMO.

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think it's been well publicized anywhere, but there's way more 3d printed parts in AMH than people realize.

Totally! I think it's cool what Spooky and Ben did. You can even go to Ben's AMH site and download all the 3D printed models so you can repair your own game, or even do things like different colors.

http://www.benheck.com/amh/

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I just read up on that, and that. is. awesome. Well done of them.

I don't think they got enough press for that. They basically released everything, code, assets, etc....

To date, I don't think anyone has used any of that to try and steal their business either. Everyone could learn a little from them on making things more open.

IMHO, Stern should have seized the opportunity with Spike to make it available as a platform to others. One of the founders of google said something to the effect of "don't make a product, make a platform, that's where the money is".

#341 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How will that work with Spaceballs being copyrighted?

I obviously can't release the actual assets from the movie, like video clips, sounds, screen caps, etc.....

But, that's not to say I can't list out what all of the actual assets are and where they came from in the movie. If anyone actually wanted to build a Spaceballs machine, I'd obviously have conversations with them about how to get all those assets on their own.

I think that's the only thing I can't release though. All the code, all the tools, all the 3D models, CAD drawings, etc..... will be able to be released. I'm trying to make conscious decisions about that stuff too. For example, I'm using an open source font that looks like the Spaceballs font. Anyone can use it.

#345 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

True but heck look what happened with PPS and the White Water sound project. But Rick is an extra special guy...

Sometimes it's worth fighting, sometimes it's not.

I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

#349 8 years ago

The head is already packed with stuff, but I did incorporate the Mr. Coffee "theme".

image.jpgimage.jpg

#353 8 years ago
Quoted from lachied:

Are you planning to print playfield toys? Do you think you can get enough detail for them? Have you tried methods to smooth out the lines, e.g. solvent/sanding - thoughts? As an example what do you think your unit cost for say the power supply brackets (in plastic material), trying to compare it to say getting my models printed by Shapeways?

The lines really aren't noticeable more than an inch or two away.

As for cost, the power brackets cost about $1.50 each for me to print, but would be much more expensive at shapeways.

All of my toys that can't be bought from Pinball Life are being printed on my printer.

One of the advantages of having your own 3D printer is the ability to do rapid prototypes and changes on the fly. If you read back a few posts, you can see the original 5V supply I ordered was dead when it arrived. I decided to do a major upgrade to the supply and ditch the cheap one that didn't work.

Because the new power supply was a different size, I had to redo the brackets and reprint them. Easy to do with a printer sitting here. That would have delayed me for at least a week or two if I was using Shapeways.

Here is the new Spaceballs: The Power Supply with all black brackets and all 3 voltage rails working:

readytogo.jpgreadytogo.jpg

#355 8 years ago

like those 3d power brackets, I'll have to print some for mine!

If you want the stl files, drop me a PM with your email address.

3 weeks later
#358 8 years ago

I'm still here, and Spaceballs is still progressing.

I had to put it away for a couple of weeks to finish some other projects, but it will be coming out again in next week. Next major step is to get the CNC machine in and get a cab and play field cut.

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I've been quietly watching this thread. I know this will be amazing sir.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope it's a lot of fun to play.

Since joining forces with the FAST team and all the other FAST builders, I definitely see the path to the finish much clearer now. Watching them get ready for Expo behind the scenes has taught me so much about what lies ahead.

1 week later
#363 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Saw this gem today and thought you might appreciate it.

That's great!

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Ball tracking is Hard when you've gone plaid!
Give me paw!!

"You're right! And when you're right, you're right. And your, you're always right!"

Brian's MPF code is pretty solid and I think the current trough "bug" is caused by the ball not triggering the shooter lane switch before it gets plunged.

I actually think the modern trough design is kinda garbage and could be done so much better. I'm experimenting with some things, more to come.

1 month later
#368 8 years ago

Slowly making progress toward the goal.

My dad was here for thanksgiving, so he and I built a table for the CNC router. I put in the order today for the machine, so it should be here in a couple of weeks.

cncbench.jpgcncbench.jpg

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It sounds great how you're making all of the assets available. Maybe I'll try to build myself one someday.

Everything except the movie clips and sound clips that would get me in trouble will be available. The code is going to be done on top of the Mission Pinball Framework, so you would be able to actually load the software up on your computer and check it out.

#373 8 years ago

cnc machine? sweet. I've been eyeing the xcarve, throw on some longer tslot arms and you could do a whole pf...
what kinda cnc you getting?

The X-Carve!

I ordered the 1000mm x 1000mm kit, and will upgrade one of the axis to 1800mm once I am comfortable with it. That will let me cut full playfields and even cabinet panels. I won't be able to do a full 4x8 sheet in one pass, but if I cut the sheet up roughly I can get all the panels for the cab out of the machine as well.

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

I'm curious to see how the X-Carve turns out for you

You and me both.

#390 8 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Once you are at that stage, would that be an item you would be willing to create and sell to the community?

Yes.

If someone were actually going to go through the effort of building one, I'll certainly provide a ton of help. I'd be honored if someone thought enough of the game to want to build their own. Maybe it will end up being a huge disappointment, lol. It's my first attempt to design a pinball game, don't be expecting something out of this world. If it makes people smile and gets a few to play a second game, I'll be stoked.

So while I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet, know that it's something I am definitely willing to do.

#397 8 years ago

If you were going to look at building a custom pin, I would recommend the FAST hardware over the P-ROC hardware.

As Aurich mentions, there is a lot of value in having a community to work with. P-ROC has their forums and FAST has a slack group that works well.

It's funny how I suggest FAST in a P-ROC thread and get my asshole torn out by rosh and mocean, but rosh thinks it's OK to do it in my thread. Let me quote from rosh's post in the other thread:

Quoted from rosh:

Seriously?? someone posts about a FAST product, that is not even available, in a thread regarding a P-roc project, but I'm the bad guy?
Whether intentional or not what wolfmarsh posted was nothing more than an advertisement. I don't think you will find a single FAST project thread where I have tried to turn into a conversation about P-roc.

Guess you can stop claiming that last bit now.

Please take any debate over the merits of FAST vs P-ROC to another, possibly dedicated thread.

#401 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If my post truly offends you, let me know and I will delete it.

We've obviously gotten off on the wrong foot, so I hope we can have some beers at some point and commiserate over how stupid we are building our own pins instead of just buying them.

#405 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Don't forget http://pinballmakers.com/ if you're interested in detailed info on custom building!

This is a great site for info, files, etc!

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To get us starting here's a photo from Scott Denasi using his X-Carve to work on a playfield.

Thanks for the heads up on Scott. I've heard other stories of his greatness, I'll probably see what his thoughts are without trying to bother him too much.

To bring us back on topic, I've been deciding what I wanted to do with my GI. I like bright games, but games lit well with GI, so the feature lighting can be bright without being overwhelming. I don't like dark spots.

I think I've decided to do a combination of standard pinball LEDs, with RGB controllable accent lighting. I'll be running the standard LEDs on DC.

Another decision I made was to get rid of the shooter rod and just have a launch button.

One cool feature that I don't think I've mentioned yet (maybe I have) is one that pinsider Kneissl came up with. In the head there will be a fan that blows out of two vertical channels on the side of the head toward the player. When mega maid goes from suck to blow, they fire up. I want to find a quiet enough fan that will move a lot of air, so I was looking at the inline fans that people use for growing.. plants.

#411 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

As far as aurichs post, I agree we need some photos of progress on this machine.

Gimme another month. I'm weird about posting things that I'm not in love with.

The next real update about spaceballs will either be the RGB DMD running some MPF code, or the results from some x-carve experiments. Whichever comes out of the oven first.

3 weeks later
#416 8 years ago

Been making some progress, got the RGB DMD running, and I've started getting the basic framework of the game together in MPF.

Put together a small attract sequence just for experimenting with, check it out:

#421 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys!

Picking up the wood for the backbox today and will try throwing it on the X-Carve tonight or tomorrow.

1 month later
#423 8 years ago

I posted this in another thread, so I figured I should also post it here.

I've been doing a bunch of the DMD images for the RGB DMD. I'm almost more excited about it than the film clips on the LCD. Some of these were based off images I found on google image search.

Virgin Alarm!Virgin Alarm!

Planet Druidia with Air ShieldPlanet Druidia with Air Shield

Perri-Air LogoPerri-Air Logo

Eagle 5Eagle 5

I also did some animations for the RGB DMD, like the going to plaid animation:

#425 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I wish I still lived in Mount Pleasant so I could come see this in person Wolfemarsh. I am so impressed with your talents and vision here!!!

Thanks man. You are always welcome to come by anytime you are in the area. I'll get BadBrick and Kneissl over as well and we will play a few games.

#431 8 years ago

Is there a particular reason your going with an RGB DMD over a bigger LCD/LED monitor? (Not a knock at all, just curious if it is easier to use that with the framework)
Looks sweet though.

I'm actually going with both. . Spaceballs has a LCD and a RGB DMD.

I originally started the project with just the LCD but the RGB DMD is too compelling and beautiful to ignore.

The general concept is that the LCD will be used for film clips and other animations, and the DMD will be used for regular game information (score, player, etc...) plus some DMD animations and graphics.

Mission Pinball Framework supports running both with different displays on them.

#435 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

DMD stuff is cool, but how about we see some progress on the playfield!! Lets see that X-carve in action.

I'm getting there. I've got stuff, but not ready to show it. It's definitely a learning process with the X-Carve.

Messing up a 3D print is nowhere near the sinking feeling of messing up sheets of plywood and having to go buy more.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I went back, but was only really looking for images to make me stop and read, but what hardware are you using to run things? Specifically the display, but anything off the shelf?

Everything off the shelf.

The computer I'm going to use is an Alienware laptop my wife doesn't use anymore. It's still really capable and has HDMI output for the LCD screen. The RGB DMD is controlled by a teensy/smartmatrix shield that just plugs into a USB port on the computer.

MPF has a pretty good how-to on getting it up and running: https://missionpinball.com/docs/howto/smartmatrix-rgb-dmd/

#438 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Can you do testing on foam board?

I've laid out some of it on foam core, and I'm happy with the separate assemblies. Once I get the CAD of the playfield to a good point, I'll maybe share a view of it so you all can see the layout before I cut it. I'd love to get some feedback.

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What I meant was, could you do a test cut with foam core on the CNC before going to wood? That is, if that's the point of the process that you're not satisfied with.

I definitely could. It wouldn't have saved me the most recent time though, unfortunately.

I got the higher power steppers with my x-carve, but the controller board wasn't adjusted properly from their warehouse. It was set for the lower power steppers. The machine ended up stalling on a longer cut and losing position, things went way downhill fast. The Emergency Stop I installed has already come in handy. I've turned the power on the steppers up to max and I've ordered new bits. I burned the first ones I had pretty badly by being too safe. I ran the cutter too fast and didn't load it up enough, so it was just rubbing the wood heating up.

Like I said, it's all a learning experience.

#444 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

I'm not going to go into a dissertation here, but you guys really need to look into speed and feed calculations for what your doing so that 1. your not wasting material/tooling and 2. your not wasting time. I found a site that has a pretty good explanation for you. Hope it helps.
http://www.southbaymachine.com/setups/cuttingspeeds.htm

Thanks Drew!

Luckily, Swinks has pointed me in the right direction as well. Any other random CNC advice would be welcome too.

1 week later
#447 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Did you replace the rails to make it work for a full length playfield? If so, did you have to adjust or make changes to the software to make it work?

I'm getting ready to extend it next weekend or the weekend after. I'm trying to have my order to them tomorrow.

The X-Carve has really started working well now that I've got my own stupidity out of the way.

I have been able to completely cut a backbox and speaker panel. BadBrick came over today to help me get things rolling, and we finished the night off with a built backbox and some working flippers.

Still need to mount the LCD panel in the backbox, the sound amp, and the laptop boards.

#449 8 years ago

In part due to your great advice.

#454 8 years ago

How great would that be!?!?!?

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

In the meantime, still waiting for some playfield photos

You're gonna be waiting about 2-3 more months before I show anything, but I did get some more backbox work done.

backbox_(resized).jpgbackbox_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#459 8 years ago

Got the interior of the backbox wired, at least for now. Once I go to do the teardown, painting, and rebuild I will firm up the different harnesses and wire routing.

most wiring installedmost wiring installed

wiring testwiring test

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So what motivated yo ufo go with the EM style of accessing the head from the back?

Main reason is because it was easier to engineer than the front door. There are some things missing still from this version of the backbox. There are two air vents that go to the left and right of the LCD, to blow wind at the player. With those louvers, the LCD, the DMD, etc.. it just seemed easier to make the back move than all that stuff on the front, or even have a panel that just swung out.

When I work on a pin in my room, I typically slide the cart under it and move it over to the workbench, so having the access in the back doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

Quoted from rosh:

What is your plan for the bezel? will it be a single piece/graphic or two pieces as the wood is now?

It will stay as two pieces of wood, with graphics on them. If you look closely the two pieces are at different angles to maximize the viewing angle on the LCD when the game is in proper position. You can see more definition of the angle in the shadow on the left of the backbox face.

Quoted from rosh:

Seems like you have become quite the expert at making 3D Printed brackets, e.g. power supplies, monitors, circuit boards. Are they all properly labeled/themed as "Spaceballs the power bracket", "space balls the monitor bracket", etc.?

Little square things are easy to model, lol. It's curves and ramps and stuff that I'm still learning. Most are labelled with fun labels like that. I only didn't where it was too small to print the text legibly. There are all kinds of little fun things in there that nobody will ever see, but it's made it fun along the way.

1 week later
#463 8 years ago

Pinsider BadBrick came over and helped me extend the CNC. A lot more manual cuts than I expected, but we got it going. Huge thanks to BadBrick for the help.

Still need to cut another piece of waste board to fit next to the old one.

skeletonskeleton

gantry back ongantry back on

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

nice work, gotta get myself one of these soon for DoH

Here are the parts we used for the extension, I think I got them all. Price was about $250 for the extra parts.

Product: MakerSlide - 25142-04
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/makerslide
Description: Length: 1800mm, Type: MakerSlide, Color: Clear Anodized, Ends: Not Tapped
Unit price: $34.72
Quantity: 2
Total: $69.44

Product: GT2 Belting - Open Ended - 26053-01
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/gt2-belting-open-ended
Description: Width: 6mm, Pitch: 2mm, Length: 1 ft, Tooth Profile: GT2
Unit price: $1.99
Quantity: 16
Total: $31.84

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 20mm) - Clear - 26047-02
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-20mm-clear
Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 20 mm, Length: 1000 mm, Width: 20 mm, Type: Extrusion, Color: Gray
Unit price: $9.00
Total: $18.00

Product: Extrusion Bracket (Gusset) - 26018-01
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/extrusion-bracket-gusset
Description: Type: Bracket, Bracket Type: Gusset, Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 30, Length: 30, Width: 20
Unit price: $1.50
Quantity: 8
Total: $12.00

Product: Pre-Assembly T-Slot Nuts - 25281-08
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/pre-assembly-t-slot-nuts
Description: Pre-Assembly T-Slot Nuts - 25281-05 (x10)
Unit price: $5.00
Quantity: 3
Total: $15.00

Product: Button Head Cap Screw - 25286-15
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/button-head-cap-screw
Description: Length: 20mm, Pitch: 0.8mm, Quantity: 10, Thread Size: M5, Finish: Black, Screw Type: Button Head, Type: Screw
Unit price: $2.35
Quantity: 1
Total: $2.35

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 40mm) - Clear - 26042-02
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-40mm-clear
Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Length: 1000 mm, Height: 20 mm, Width: 40 mm, Type: Extrusion
Unit price: $17.00
Quantity: 1
Total: $17.00

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 40mm) - Clear - 26042-04
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-40mm-clear
Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 20 mm, Length: 1800 mm, Type: Extrusion, Width: 40 mm
Unit price: $28.00
Total: $56.00

Product: Button Head Cap Screw - 25286-01
http://www.inventables.com/technologies/button-head-cap-screw
Description: Finish: Black, Length: 10mm, Pitch: 0.8mm, Quantity: 10, Type: Screw, Screw Type: Button Head, Thread Size: M5
Unit price: $2.52
Total: $5.04

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How much wood dust is going to get on those pins?

A lot less than I thought was going to happen. I designed a dust shoe for it and it hardly throws any dust off. I've been super happy with the X-Carve, especially with a few modifications/additions.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also nice christmas story lamp

Thanks. My wife got it for me. It's a permanent fixture on a kitchen cart I modified to be a stand for my 3D printer, so I can wheel it around the shop as necessary.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Just noticed this is on the list for SFGE now. Very excited to see it in person!

It will be there in some form, but don't expect to be blown away or anything.

It's going to have no art, so a wooden cabinet and a whitewood for a playfield. My goal is to have it up and running enough for people to play a couple of balls and mess with some of the modes. That will give me a chance to get some real and varied feedback on the playfield and code.

I've been working as much as I can on the CAD for the playfield. BadBrick and I are going to pick up the wood for the cabinet next week with the hopes of getting it cut and assembled by April 3rd. Then it's time to cut the first playfield and wire it up.

At the risk of showing something too early, he is an early CAD for the playfield. It's missing all of the stuff from the upper right, and several things on here are just placeholders. It's missing the left and right kickout holes above the outlanes. It's missing 2 big ramps, and a couple orbit ball guides. Also missing a ton of inserts. There are 2 spinners you don't see as well.

Don't be too brutal on me, it's the very first version of the playfield and I haven't tested any of it.

readycutplayfield.jpgreadycutplayfield.jpg

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I would definitely like to try something like this in the future myself, but even with the tools and the know-how, how the hell do you guys find the time?

I can't even come close to taking credit for even getting it this far. Although the project has been going on for like 2 years now, I wouldn't even be close to where I am without the great friends I've made and their continuous help and support.

The guys that contribute to Mission Pinball Framework, especially Brian, Gabe, Jan and Quinn are all heroes in my book. The support and advice from other people making FAST/MPF games has been priceless.

When I switched from making my own boardset/framework code to using FAST/MPF, I realized something very important that I think doesn't get enough attention. Making these homebrew games is supposed to be fun, not frustrating. Finding a group you fit in with is leagues more important than what hardware you choose.

Spaceballs will hopefully be the game I want it to be, but the real prize from all of this work is the great people I've met through the process.

#476 8 years ago
Quoted from Jtslade:

Will the LE come in Plaid?

Plaid armor.

#479 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

So nice to see all those people creating their own table! Good luck on this one, and thats a BIG toy btw!

Yeah, I'm definitely worried it's too big.

Since I've already printed one at that scale, I'm gonna roll with it and see how it plays on the first whitewood and go from there.

Keep the feedback coming. Here is a shot as it sits today, the ramp sucks in the model right now. I'm learning Fusion 360 as I go.

playfield_v-something_plus1.jpgplayfield_v-something_plus1.jpg

#481 8 years ago

Here is an adjusted playfield based on some of the feedback I got.

Still got a ways to go, but I think I'll cut this one first (sans inserts) and use foamcore to prototype the ramps, ball guides, etc...

You'll have to excuse the poorly done ramp outline, the ball guides that aren't properly curved, and any other weirdness. I'm looking to get the positioning of Spaceball One down so I can add two extra shots to the upper playfield area.

playfield_moved_stuff_v2.jpgplayfield_moved_stuff_v2.jpg

#483 8 years ago

I'm using Fusion 360.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

They made it free for hobbyists just in the past few months. It's amazing stuff. I had been using Sketchup for my 3D printing needs, but Fusion has even replaced Sketchup there for me.

It also has some really great online integration where all of your projects are stored in the A360 cloud. You can share with other Fusion users, they can do markups on your model, even modify it if you allow them. It has built in versioning, so nothing can ever really get "ruined". You can always go back to an earlier save.

I'm not an experienced modeler, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The experienced modelers I know seem to like Fusion as well. For free, why not give it a shot. There are a TON of tutorials on the web.

Here is one of the first tutorials I bookmarked, I ended up watching it over and over again:

Another pinballer sent me this video that was also really good to watch:

1 week later
#488 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Did the cabinet get cut?!?

Yup! In a couple of weeks you and Rick need to come over again for a playfield populating party.

Upside down, so it looks a little weirdUpside down, so it looks a little weird

#490 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

You gotta tape a spaceballs poster on the side of that bad boy!

I've been thinking I'll paint it black before SFGE, and use the vinyl cutter to put "SPACEBALLS: THE PROTOTYPE" on the sides.

I've got some repairs to make on the front, my coin door hole is really snug, and I think the holes for the lockdown bar are off a few mm.

Probably take me a week or two to get it all squared away, then I'll be ready to cut the playfield.

#492 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

You have a vinyl cutter!?

download_(resized).jpg

Haha, it's over right behind the big pink Barbie Escalade that we were looking at. It's a 36" wide cutter if you need anything cut like stencils or anything.

3 weeks later
#494 7 years ago

Haha, I was just getting ready to post. BadBrick has inside info, lol. He came over last night and worked his ass off to help me get the cabinet back together.

Bear in mind this is all prototype stuff. I'm learning so much as I go through it.

A couple of weeks ago the cabinet was together and standing on it's own.

Test Fit of all the cabinet partsTest Fit of all the cabinet parts

After testing everything out, I took it all back apart for painting and cleanup.

Last night, BadBrick and I put the painted cabinet and backbox back together, including adding some graphics to the cab.

Getting Assembled, I do heart uranus.Getting Assembled, I do heart uranus.

This morning I added some more graphics on the face of the backbox.

Backbox Front GraphicsBackbox Front Graphics

Here is a video we took last night of getting it fired up for the first time.

2 weeks later
#500 7 years ago

That is fantastic!!

I've been working more on the playfield. Cut my second playfield and have been getting it set up. This one was only cut with the mech holes and inserts I need to test positioning. There are many, many inserts not cut on this version of the playfield.

testpfincab.pngtestpfincab.png

3 weeks later
#503 7 years ago

It did make it to SFGE. In a very, very raw form.

I literally got the playfield workable this past Wednesday. I'll post something more once the weekend is over.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#510 7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I learned a lot at SFGE this weekend, mainly just by being able to play a lot of different machines and study their layout.

The main thing I took away is that my original playfield ideas are terrible and need to be re-thought. Next year, the game will hopefully have an interesting layout and code.

Here is a short video of some lighting tests I was doing a couple days before the show:

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Looking Good, John!
(so is the pin!)

Thanks Art! All the GI are Comet bulbs! See you at Free Play Florida for sure!!

Quoted from cp1610:

I'm enjoying this thread been watching it on and off with the hope you can do it i will get the ambition to roll one of my own have hand drawn drawings in a note book from high school here somewhere with the ideas i have or had at one time.

Don't give up on the dream! Anyone can do it, if you have enough time and determination. The guy who is doing the Nightmare Before Christmas custom pin uses Future Pinball to do some digital design.

2 months later
#511 7 years ago

BadBrick and Kneissl came over tonight to hang out and we decided to put a rough ramp on Spaceballs to test some stuff out.

firstramptest (resized).jpgfirstramptest (resized).jpg

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I know that's just a test ramp, but if it works out well and you want something nicer you should just 3d print a ramp in sections (so it fits in the printer), that's what I intend to do:
http://homebrewpinball.blogspot.com/2016/08/3d-printed-ramp.html

Totally. That's what I'm hoping to do as well.

I had been a little down on this playfield because I knew I needed 3 or 4 more shots on the upper playfield, and some unique style mechs to complement it.

Both BadBrick and Kneissl had some great ideas last night that I'm putting into the CAD for the playfield. I can't wait to cut another one.

1 month later
#520 7 years ago

It has been a while, so here goes.....

I've spent most of the time recently starting new on the playfield. I consider the playfield I took to SFGE to be v2, and I'm now working on v4. The v2 playfield really was more of a test, but the feedback I got on it made me rethink a decent amount of stuff.

The size of Spaceball One was an issue. I had originally made it as a large 4 ball lock, but it was too large and imposing on the playfield. I remodeled it and came up with a much smaller 3 ball lock. This gave me some room to add a new horseshoe orbit right under the mouth of Spaceball One.

Size comparison between the old and new Spaceball One mechsSize comparison between the old and new Spaceball One mechs

Close up of the new SB One mechClose up of the new SB One mech

I also started working through the Chestburster mech. My idea is that there is a diner scene on the backboard of the playfield, and he comes out dancing across it during his mode. I came up with a little 2 rail track with a sled and a curved rail at the back. The sled has a hinged piece that gets moved up and down by the wavy rail as it moves forward and back on the track.

The model for the track, with the end brackets with stepper/idler mountsThe model for the track, with the end brackets with stepper/idler mounts

Printed test track, waiting on stainless rails and stepper/idler gearPrinted test track, waiting on stainless rails and stepper/idler gear

And of course I had to get a chestburster printed to sit on top of the sled. Mad props to my friend Mike for printing this on his badass resin printer.

Hello my babyHello my baby

One of the new things I wanted to mess with was a ramp entry that doubled as a light fixture. I modeled this small entry to have channels inside of it for routing wires, and it has places modeled into it to mount custom RGB LED boards.

Ramp entry, designed not to need the metal entry flap, it sits 3mm below the playfield surfaceRamp entry, designed not to need the metal entry flap, it sits 3mm below the playfield surface

Wire exit holes, and opto mount on the left.  Wires go through a corresponding hole on the playfieldWire exit holes, and opto mount on the left. Wires go through a corresponding hole on the playfield

Example of the RGB lighting mounting spotsExample of the RGB lighting mounting spots

I've also wanted to tweak the way my inserts fit, so I ended up doing a few insert test boards on the CNC machine.

Insert test fit boardInsert test fit board

And here is what I've come up with for playfield v4.

Playfield v4 Top viewPlayfield v4 Top view

Playfield v4 Standing ViewPlayfield v4 Standing View

None of these views have the ball guides on them, so it's hard to really see the intention in some spots. I'm hoping to cut this new playfield over thanksgiving break and populate it over winter break.

The ramp model needs to be modified more as well, the platform up there actually has some stuff on it that isn't modeled yet.

#522 7 years ago

Thanks. I'm still really just trying to get a layout that shoots good. So far they've been pretty lame. This new one has 4 or 5 additional shots that the last one didn't have, as well as some new features.

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Didn't mean to put you on the spot, Wolfmarsh but thanks for the update. Love seeing all the homebrew projects.

No worries! You didn't put me on the spot. I had been meaning to post but time just seems to slip by these days.

As always, I'm open to any ideas or questions. I thought about typing out some of the shots, modes, and inserts, but.... see above re: time slipping away, lol.

2 weeks later
#528 7 years ago

I got the test mech for the chestburster set up on a new backboard. Gonna start wiring it up this weekend and see how it runs.

He sits up on top of that sled in the mech, and the wavy track makes him lean back and forth as he moves.

chestbursterslide.jpgchestbursterslide.jpg

2 months later
#532 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Any plans for a video mode where aggressive flipper button mashing makes your Schwartz grow "bigger than mine"?

I like that a lot, I think I might include something like that.

Quoted from chadderack:

Looking forward to new updates.

Finally got the next version of the playfield cut today, now to start assembling it.

v4_Cut.jpgv4_Cut.jpg

1 week later
#538 7 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What software above were you using to make those models of the PF layout? Just curious

Hey man, sorry I missed this question here! I've replied via PM to jrivelli, but for anyone else curious I use Fusion 360. It's free for hobbyists, and is a product from Autodesk.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

I think it's pretty cool, especially for the price of zero.

Here are a couple of tutorial videos myself and others found helpful:

#539 7 years ago

Being president is a stressful job. Whenever President Skroob needs a deep breath, he always reaches for a can of genuine Perri-air. Always salt-free.

perriair_test.jpgperriair_test.jpg

#540 7 years ago

Got one of the boards in today that I put together to control the backboard stuff as one unit.

I kinda designed it as a general tinkering board, because I'm always wanting to test a concept and it's a pain to wire up a bunch of transistors and a stepper driver on the breadboard. It takes a 5V Trinket Pro and a DRV8825 stepper driver as modules. It has 10 spots for transistors so you can switch up to 10 channels of things, and has 2 inputs brought out to the side. It runs on 12v and has a built-in 5v regulator to power the digital logic at 5v. Because it's an Arduino compatible device, I can easily bang out a sketch to test some stuff.

This particular board was populated to control the backboard on the playfield. It's got 9 lights to switch, a stepper to drive, and 2 inputs (1 for on/off, 1 for the limit switch on the track.

populated_board_with_modules.jpgpopulated_board_with_modules.jpg

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from etlandfill:

Nice! I have to admit I kind of feel like I could've been in your shoes. I bounced around a couple ideas and came up with a great one! Then I found you beat me to the punch. I'm really pulling for you! And I'm also doing all of my own electronics, which make us a rare breed around here, it seems. I'm curious to see how our architectures and designs are similar or different, especially since it doesn't look like you followed the models of the commercial boards either.
Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see this all come together!

In the end I actually decided to go with FAST and the MPF. I got pretty close to finishing a boardset and then made the switch. I'm actually super glad I did.

#544 7 years ago

Donatello is standing in for the chest burster for testing.

#551 7 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm getting really excited for this next version of the game.

The plan is to test fit all the mechs and stuff this weekend, so I can clear the playfield and start assembly.

#553 7 years ago

Test fitting went really well, so I decided to fit in a light clear coat today.

The previous version of the test playfield on the left, the new one on the right. Next step is to do a couple more coats of clear with sanding in between.

spaceballs playfield v2 vs v4.jpgspaceballs playfield v2 vs v4.jpg

1 week later
#558 7 years ago

Got some more work on the tractor beam toy done. Testing some code now. The general concept is when the mode starts you are trying to save Vespa from being sucked in by the tractor beam. If you are successful in hitting all the targets, Lone Star flies away with her in the Eagle 5, and there are tons of playfield bonuses and jackpots during the fly-away.

1 month later
#566 7 years ago

There has been progress!

I've been working on getting the playfield populated, this version is a lot more involved than the last, so I've also had to wing some things as I figure them out.

The wireforms are missing from this pic, but you'll get the idea of how much further I've gotten.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The left ramp and right loop shots look way tight. Looks almost impossible to hit that left ramp with that post arrangement.

They are very easy to hit and are wider than ramp entrances I measured on production games.

1 week later
#582 7 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Hey John -
Is that a regular wireform in the shooter lane? I am asking as if it is, I wondered if you had ever thought of trying to make that (or any other wireforms) on a 3D printer using a plastic material instead of metal?
Would it hold up? Seems that it would since so many other ramps are plastic or something like that. The benefit it seems to me would be that you would have unlimited color choices versus having to get a metal version powdercoated, etc., and it may be easier to source someone to print it for you versus trying to weld the metal form together.
Just thinking out loud to see your thoughts?
-scott

Hey Scott! It is a regular wireform, this one was originally for Cyclone. You could probably do it, but it would have to have more bulk than standard wireforms. Plastic printed that thin wouldn't stand up to balls. Some of my ramps and mechs are 3d printed, which does lend to a lot of color choices.

Some of the homebrew guys have taken to printing brackets that hold metal rod, like this:

That was done by Brian Cox, who is building a slew of games, including SteamPunk Royale which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/SteamPunkRoyale/

He 3D prints a lot of his game parts.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Please put the infamous call out in the code "She's switching from suck to blow!!"

Oh, it's in there.

1 month later
#584 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

We definately need an update over here

I'm here

Been doing some work to try and get it working before SFGE. Tried my hand at painting up the chest burster, be gentle it's my first time (and not done yet).

1 week later
#592 6 years ago

12 days until SFGE, in an effort to keep myself on track and moving at a quick pace I'm going to try to post updates daily until the show.

Due to some misinformation I got early on, my cab ended up being a quarter inch wider than it should have been. I made it work for SFGE last year but this year I wanted a proper cabinet. Leave it to me to wait until less than 2 weeks left to start on that.

I'm confirming some final measurements, but here is the next version of my cabinet. I'm hopefully going to be cutting this tomorrow on the X-Carve.

#594 6 years ago

Got the pieces laid out on the stock and got the stock cut up into the right size bits to fit on the X-Carve.

If I had a CNC router capable of accepting a 4x8 sheet I could skip this step, but this extra bit only takes an hour or so do lay it all out and rough cut it with a jigsaw/circular saw.

Since I need this cabinet 4 weeks ago, I am using butt joints, glue, screws, and brackets w/screws. For my next rev of the cabinet I'll be doing the correct lock miter joint.

#597 6 years ago

Today's update, I got the cabinet cut and 90% together. Tomorrow's plan is to finish the last assembly stuff and bondo the cabinet.

#598 6 years ago

The daily updates fell behind, but I've been moving as fast as possible to get it ready for the show. Got the new cabinet painted, even though it's not near perfect and will need to be cleaned up at some point, it will work for SFGE.

I took a tip from the pinball amigos and their Minions project and called in some help tonight to get things pushed ahead. BadBrick and Kneissl will be joining me tonight to move all the stuff from the old cabinet to the new while I do the rest of the soldering on the playfield.

If it all goes well we will be putting in the playfield tonight and potentially powering it on.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It's coming along. I left Wolfmarsh with some imitation shasta, so he can power through the night.

I can't thank Kneissl and BadBrick enough for their help last night. They completely owned moving all of the hardware and wiring from the old cabinet to the new cabinet and knocked it out for me without any issue.

We tested the glass in the new cabinet and it fit perfectly, no danger of falling in.

While they were doing that, I was able to focus on soldering a bunch of stuff on the playfield and got pretty far with it. I'm hoping to finish up all the soldering today so I can actually put the playfield in the cabinet.

Plus, the off-brand shasta was pretty damn swanky.

I'll try and post some pics today of the playfield and populated cabinet. 4 days until SFGE.

#606 6 years ago

Been pushing forward with the game as hard as I can. Figured I would post a couple pics while I was taking a short break for the ibuprofen to kick in.

Got all of the underside wiring done, and I started wiring all of the stuff up on the top that was still to go (mainly optos).

underside wiring done (resized).pngunderside wiring done (resized).png

optos wired and new spinner (resized).pngoptos wired and new spinner (resized).png

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

making good progress, well done

Thanks swinks, you helped with a lot of the initial work!

I was counting up things today, Spaceballs has 28 44/555 bulbs, 70 RGB LEDs, 26 coil drivers, and 55 switches.

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I swear this is going to end up better than Star Wars. I'm serious. Awesome job wolfmarsh!

Haha, I appreciate the compliment but there is zero chance this pin will be better than any Stern out there.

I finally got the entire playfield wired and assembled. Some of the plastics are crystal clear so you might have a hard time seeing them in this pic, no time to do any art before the show. Here is the playfield as it stands. Tomorrow I'll be working on getting it into the cabinet and getting the computer fired up.

SFGE_Playfield.jpgSFGE_Playfield.jpg

#612 6 years ago

Looks great John - can't wait to see it this weekend!
-scott

Thanks Scott!

Got the playfield all completed and in the cabinet, it all fits. Now on to powering it up and seeing what's what.

#614 6 years ago

It's alive! All RGB LEDs work.

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

Looking good. Is the artwork designed yet? Do you plan on using this same play field with the artwork eventually?

No art designed yet, I will hopefully get to use the same playfield, if not i'll cut a new one.

Quoted from Kneissl:

How does it shoot??!

Unfortunately, I won't get to find out before SFGE. I ran into some major roadblocks last night that keep me from getting the software done, so it will have to be at SFGE as a box of lights, basically in permanent attract mode.

After the show I can sit down and work through the roadblocks. One of the major ones is a RJ45 jack on one of my IO boards is broken, so I can't get the IO board loop to work (ie, no coils or switches). I'll have to replace the jack after the show.

It is a little disappointing, but I made a huge effort these past few weeks to get it to this point. When I get back from SFGE I'm looking forward to starting on the software and not being rushed to get it working again.

#623 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Someone bring this man an IO board!

FAST pinball offered to overnight me a board, but that would mean changing it out at the show Frday night, then just starting to test the new mechs and stuff. Not a great thing to do at the show, without my shop and all my tools.

It's pretty stress relieving to just pack it up and be done stressing over it.

#626 6 years ago

Still worth it to see the progress in person (even if it is a 'box of lights'). I am sure the pics don't do your work justice!
-scott

Thanks Scott. I hope everyone likes what I've got going on with the new playfield, even in its unplayable state. Safe travels getting to the show everyone!

#629 6 years ago

Well, it's here at SFGE.

SFGE Proof (resized).pngSFGE Proof (resized).png

#631 6 years ago

Here is a short clip of the attract mode I put together for the show:

2 weeks later
#633 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Looking forward to seeing updates from the show when your back.

I've been working on the machine since I got back, getting close to being able to play a game on it.

I got my node boards repaired, and have fixed any other wiring issues I have found since. Next up is relocating the right flipper button switch. It barely interferes with my auto launch, so I need to mount the switch in a different position.

Today is Mel Brooks's birthday, maybe I can get a video up of some flippers going tonight.

#634 6 years ago

Got a short video of a quick game. Bear in mind this is no lights and no software really, just enough to get it flipping. My dad is in town for the 4th so I asked him to play while I filmed.

3 weeks later
#635 6 years ago

Been working on the software since the last post, got some small things going. I am pretty much in love with mission pinball framework (MPF) at this point. In the video I avoid actually going into the multiballs because they both have ball savers and would have extended the video by a lot.

#640 6 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm finally getting to play the game, and I'm loving it so far.

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from etlandfill:

Looking great! Keep up the good work! I really hope I'll be able to play it next SFGE

You'll definitely be able to play it at the next SFGE.

I've got some tweaking to do on the vari-target, the spring doesn't seem strong enough to return it reliably. The only other real issue I've found with the layout so far is that the saucer kickout right above the right outlane is kinda useless. I'm going to remove it and place a target or something else interesting there.

Anyone got one of those gottlieb kicker targets they would sell me? That might be a good alternative there.

#656 6 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words!

The chestburster will get better too, the motion is kinda clunky sometimes.

I'll finally have it playable at SFGE in 2018! After like 2 years of bringing a box of lights, hahahaha.

Right now I'm working on the big Spaceball One modes with the physical ball lock and the under-playfield toy.

I recently hired a voice artist on fiverr.com to record a bunch of standard pinball sayings, like "Jackpot", "Super Jackpot", "Ridiculous Jackpot", "Ludicrous Jackpot", etc... so the sounds are starting to come together as well.

1 week later
#661 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

https://www.flixbrewhouse.com/carmel/film-info/spaceballs
Checking this out tonight and made me think of this thread. I know it's a chain so maybe there is a local showing by some other pinsiders as well.

That's cool! I wish there was a showing near me, I'd definitely go!

If you think of any things for the game after watching the movie, please pass them on!

#666 6 years ago

Thanks Everyone!

I'll take another video this weekend, the modes are starting to come together with sounds and graphics and stuff.

This is the super fun part!

2 weeks later
#669 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

That is the hardest stuff and can potentially make your pin legend if done right.

Yeah, I'll be honest it's the part I'm most worried about. I'm just going to push forward through it and see what I come up with. I know it's my weakest area, so hopefully I can tap into some of that Pinside art criticism and eventually make it decent.

1 week later
#676 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I got some time on spaceballs this weekend. I think everyone will be pretty happy when wolfmarsh brings it to sfge next year. The guy he got for the callouts sounds very professional. The rules are pretty early on, but already have some neat nuance and depth. I would be surprised if wolfmarsh doesn't have a handful of guys begging him to build them one after sfge 2018.

Thanks for all the play testing, I have a lot more work to go, lol.

I've got one more revision of the playfield to cut because I'm not happy with some of the geometry and mechs. I'll be swapping out the saucer for a gottlieb kick back target, and I'll be changing the way the shots on either side of Spaceball One work. I had intended for a cool mini-orbit, but it kinda sucks the way I designed it, and the Star Wars mini orbit under the death star does it so much better.

I'm going to be doing the playfield cut later this month, and it will take me a month or two to get the playfield prepped and cleared. Then I'll have to move everything over to the new one. That part shouldn't be too bad, since I've already gone through that 4 times now.

Hopefully I can have playfield art ready by then and can go ahead and apply it too.

#680 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Hope you have a parriaire multiball, however you spell it.
Hit the luggage combination to start multi ball lock.
So much to pull from.
Is there a raspberry jam target?

The answer to all of those is yes.

Quoted from Kneissl:

I wish i clocked more time on it.. way too many distractions in the wolfmarsh factory.

Next rev we will spend a lot more weekends playing, once all the geometry is fixed up. I always have so much stuff I want to show you guys, hahaha.

4 months later
#683 6 years ago

It's been really slow here over the past few months. October - January for me is usually slammed with not a lot of free time, doubly so this year due to some personal things going on.

I've updated the playfield CAD with all the final changes, just need to unearth my CNC router and get it cut.

What free time I did have, I might have spent working on Rick & Morty pinball....

2 months later
#689 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

wolfmarsh , thought you might like this one

New Spaceballs Poster over on Hero Complex by Kevin Wilson/Ape meets girl.

This is awesome thanks! I'm gonna forward that to my wife for possible gifting.

Quoted from mmr61184:

Are you going to do an escape pod mode.

Yes, definitely!! It's one of the big multiball modes.

Quoted from boost:Would love a spaceballs pin.

I have a Dark Helmet costume and custom Dark Helmet action figure.

OMG DUDE!!!! That Dark Helmet costume is so badass!!! The action figure is great too!!! Any time you are in the area you are welcome to stop by and check out the game, it's coming along nicely I think, just haven't had much time to post anything or work on it in the past couple of months.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think you also need one of these:

Oh hell yeah, that's awesome.

Can't wait to show you all what I've got going on next with this game.

1 month later
1 week later
#696 5 years ago
Quoted from TheBenk:

Hey Wolfy I just moved back to Charleston. Tough finding people to shoot with. Mind if I come test out Spaceballs?

I don't mind at all!

Right now the game is tucked away and in the process of being updated, but give me a few weeks and I'll have you out to play test.

#699 5 years ago

ZOMG!!!!!

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/rick-moranis-spaceballs-dark-helmet-goldbergs

Quoted from Geomancer:

What coils are you using for the flippers?

The same coils you are looking at, FL-11629.

#702 5 years ago
Quoted from Geomancer:

Humm, that's very interesting. Clearly I'm overthinking it. I had based my design on the older Williams machines having 750VA transformers. When I was shopping I found 800VA and 1000VA transformers, and the 1000VA was only $16 more so I said what the heck?
Seeing this made me think about it more. I haven't done anything analog in nearly 2 decades, but it hit me that with inductors and their transient response, peak current isn't at the start, it's at the end. With solenoids, it may not even hit the peak "steady state" current before the EOS switch is thrown. Plus the power supplies bulk capacitors may handle the surge.
Oh well. Maybe I can just run 4 games off a single power supply One thing is for sure, there is a lot to learn from a project like this.
Thanks again for sharing the details of your build!

You'll never get any grief from me for overdoing a power supply.

The coils are controlled via PWM with modern hardware, and sometimes without EOS. For example, Spaceballs has EOS wired up but doesn't actually use them. It doesn't need them.

#704 5 years ago
Quoted from Geomancer:

Don't you want full power through the stroke, and only PWM to hold?
When held, can't the flippers be "pushed" by a ball smacking into it so you still need the EOS to know if more power is needed? I had been told that in another thread.

It can, but there are compensating controls you can put in place. MPF has a good write up on EOS:

http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/mechs/flippers/eos_switches.html

They also have a good write up on pulse power:

http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/mechs/coils/pulse_power.html

#706 5 years ago

I'm so excited for this!

If you aren't a Goldbergs fan already you all should give it a shot! It's good stuff!

4 weeks later
#708 5 years ago

For you Spaceballs assholes, I'll be moderating a panel on homebrew pinball at SFGE in Atlanta this weekend, Friday night from 7-8 pm. Scott Danesi and Wilder Hamm will be joining me to have a cool chat about homebrew and how you can get started.

1 month later
#714 5 years ago

I think I have the final revisions done, time to cut what is hopefully the final playfield.

image-1 (resized).pngimage-1 (resized).png
#716 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Do you cut the playfields yourself? Is it automated or do you transpose all this by hand?

I cut them on a X-Carve CNC router that I extended to be able to handle the full length of a playfield. I had to go automated, I can't make it through the number of cuts on a playfield by hand and not screw it up at some point.

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is that literally swapping out the baseboard and extending the 80/20 channel, or do you have to add some braces to stiffen everything up since a larger platform means more drooping over a longer distance?

That's basically it. I did print a couple of braces to make sure the longer extrusion didn't droop, but that was minimal.

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Can...
Can I pay you for one?

For one what?

1 week later
#724 5 years ago
Quoted from Houkaka:

So I'm guessing that it's your own cnc router, can you cut steel with it or it's not rigid enough? I'm interested to see how you've done your extension.
By the way, you may have been able to make it on your machine without extending it.

There are other x-carve pinball people that have done what you suggest. I wanted to be able to cut cabinet sides without moving the wood around, so the best option for me was to extend the machine. It really only required the 1800mm rails and two supports to be 3d printed.

Quoted from Coyote:

Spaceballs playfield, of course!

Coyote and I chatted over PM about this. I'd love to make playfield for people, but the current plan is to do the art by hand right on the playfield, versus digitally. That may change, but right now this is definitely a bespoke one-off.

Quoted from bigduke6:

Playfield question. When your cutting out for inserts what size lip do you leave for them to sit on?

1.6mm.

I got what is hopefully the final playfield cut! Now I need to order some inserts and get them all glued in. I made some more changes and added some more inserts.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you do end up hand painting, you should at least scan it before populating it for prosperity.

Good idea.

I think my next step is to populate this as a whitewood, once i've put the inserts in and cleared it. I need to work out some more of the software things that might change the art a little.

Then I'll take everything off this playfield and put the art on it, then repopulate it again.

#730 5 years ago

LOL, I read it as posterity!

#731 5 years ago

Starting the process of gluing in the inserts.

1 week later
#732 5 years ago

I finally decided to go digital with the artwork for the playfield.

I think I got the mode names worked out.

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's a shame merchandising is such a long word. Wonder if you could arch the font to make it fit without a hyphen?

Ugh I know. I'm open to suggestions. I tried a bunch of layouts with the word and this was the best looking.

I'd even be open to changing it out for a different mode.

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Please do not take it to SFGE a 3rd year in a row and it not play at all...
P.s... you're not singled out, that goes for Zelda too.

I didn't even bring it to SFGE this year, life got in the way unfortunately.

I've made it a goal to have it 100% complete by SFGE, so I can move on to a different project.

2 months later
#749 5 years ago

Now that my wife is getting her strength back, I am getting some pinball time. Starting to tear down the current playfield and move it all over to the new (and final) playfield.
fullplayfield_small (resized).jpgfullplayfield_small (resized).jpg

#751 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

glad to see things are turning around.

Thanks! 2018 has been a tough year in this house, but things are definitely getting better.

Really looking forward to some family and pinball time over the holidays. Once I get Spaceballs done the focus shifts to Rick & Morty.

#756 5 years ago

Got the current playfield completely stripped, getting ready to start putting everything on the new one.

An explosion of parts all over what is normally the CNC router.

partseverywhere (resized).jpgpartseverywhere (resized).jpg

Comparison of the current playfield that I just stripped on the left, and the new one on the right.

newplayfieldcomparison (resized).jpgnewplayfieldcomparison (resized).jpg

5 months later
#761 4 years ago

Been a while since I posted, but I've been working very steadily toward having the game finished in time for SFGE in Atlanta in July.

The latest playfield is in the game and 100% working, I am working through all the code now.

Here is my latest revision of the cabinet art.

all_cab_art (resized).jpgall_cab_art (resized).jpg
#764 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just curious did you go with a repurposed bally/williams board setup or something other like heighway pinball did with computer for your hardware?

I used the FAST pinball hardware (http://fastpinball.com/) and the Mission Pinball Framework software (http://missionpinball.org/). It does have a computer inside it running Windows and MPF.

Quoted from Phantasize:

Looking great! Can't wait to see the playfield art.
Unfortunately, living in Denmark, i'll probably never get to play it. But it really is something of a dream theme for me!

I'll post the playfield art in the next few weeks. Art is my weakest skill by far as you can tell, so don't expect anything amazing. It'll be what I am capable of and I'll just be happy with that.

Hopefully for those who never get to play it in person, I can post some videos to share all the fun things I think are in it. This is my very first game design too, so it might be like the superbowl where it's better to see it on TV than actually be there, hahahaha.

3 weeks later
#766 4 years ago

Welp, the time has come for me just to go with what I've got for the playfield art. I think it turned out great for my first attempt. The upper areas of the playfield are intentionally pretty empty and dark.

Feedback is welcomed, I am ordering it from the printer later tonight after some final tweaks.

playfieldlayout (resized).jpgplayfieldlayout (resized).jpg
#769 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This game is gonna be awesome, hope I can put my hands on it one day.
Feedback on art:
Maybe add some milky way wispy type trails through the shots/behind the stars to sauce it up a bit?
It would be cool if you could do stars like this poster. This pattern may help your tractor beam blend in a little better too.
http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/10115/p10115_v_v8_aj.jpg
Other than that, looks great.

Thanks for the feedback! I will see what I can do to incorporate some of this, I especially like the idea of putting in some wispy trails and stuff!

#771 4 years ago
Quoted from krispyk577:

how would this ever have a chance at replication?

It doesn't as far as I'm concerned.

If it does, it won't be by my hands. I've got two new custom games waiting after this one is done.

#773 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Make.
Extra.
Playfields.

Maybe in a future time, in a galaxy not that far away, I could see something......

For now, I've made a self-imposed deadline to finish Supernatural pinball in time for the 15th season/series end. I've got to get cranking on it as soon as Spaceballs is done.

1 week later
#775 4 years ago

All the art is printed and here.

20190612_133542 (resized).jpg20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
#780 4 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Quoted from Hobbypinball:

"12345" targets should be "P" "L" "A" "I" "D"

The ramp goes to plaid. Just shoot it 4 times.

#783 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Please take good video of gameplay this year

I actually bought some streaming gear in hopes of taking some good video, mainly for me to be able to review gameplay for bugs, but I'll definitely share the videos and some live streams.

If you are ever in the area you know you have an invite too.

#785 4 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Only one game no copies. Didn't see the great yogurt in playfield art guess to see him in it your doing Spaceballs two the quest for more money then will have yogurt on it ?

Yogurt is over on the right about mid way up, shooting his flamethrower. He has a whole target and scoop.

#786 4 years ago

Head art is on.

20190615_163152 (resized).jpg20190615_163152 (resized).jpg20190615_163206 (resized).jpg20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
#790 4 years ago

Cabinet art is on!

#793 4 years ago

Thanks! More pics and video to come as all the final reassembly goes on. The playfield art is up next.

#796 4 years ago

The head and cabinet are completely reassembled.

Working on the playfield now.

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

will there be 90's style backbox hinges or going for the 80's bolt on only?

I originally had the 90s style hinges on it, and the backbox and game ended up being so heavy I prefer removing the backbox entirely for transport, so I ended up going with no hinges.

There are only 4 or 5 connectors to disconnect, so it's pretty easy.

#803 4 years ago

Things coming together for the playfield.

#806 4 years ago

Thanks guys! I think I'll be able to get the playfield back in the cabinet tomorrow at some point and slide the glass in.

#808 4 years ago

It's alive! It was early this morning and I didn't have the overhead shop lights on yet so the LEDs washed it out a little, but here is a short video. More to come!

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

The flipper gap looks huge, is it a standard value?

Yep it's the normal gap.

#813 4 years ago

Wanted to give you all a heads up, some local buddies are coming over tomorrow night (Saturday the 29th) to playtest Spaceballs and we are going to try to live stream it on twitch.

It's my first ever stream, so I have no idea if it will work. It will be at: https://www.twitch.tv/wolfmarsh

We will try to start streaming around 8 or 8:30PM eastern time.

#816 4 years ago

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it!

There is a laundry list of videos and sounds to add before SFGE too, plus hot glue some connectors.

2 weeks later
#824 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I am so happy to see that everyone enjoyed it!!

Spaceballs also won best custom game at SFGE!

#828 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Congrats John , Nice work!!

Thanks! Did I just miss you this year or were you not able to make it?

Quoted from BorgDog:

Congrats John! Was great fun to play and very nice chatting with you as well.

You too! Always nice to meet more homebrew people!

Here are some audits from Spaceballs this weekend:

391 games played with 489 total players. The left flipper button was hit 18,982 times, right flipper hit 22,705 times. The warp ramp was completed 477 times, scoop was hit 2,049 times, and the Spaceball One ship had around 1400 balls go through it. The spinner switch saw 12,165 activations.

1 week later
#834 4 years ago

Thanks to the Pinside staff for adding Spaceballs to the machine list!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/spaceballs

5 months later
#836 4 years ago

Hey all! Spaceballs is up for a best homebrew TWIPY! If you like the game, please consider tossing me a vote!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/quiz/twipy-2019-ballot/

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Was there ever a gameplay video posted for us to see? I haven't been able to find it?

Pinball Undesirables streamed it a bit at SFGE, but I can make a more in depth video at some point. I'm not a great streaming personality so I'll need to enlist help.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Absolutely got my vote! Played it at SFG in Atlanta, and man you've done the theme justice, sir! Well done.

Thanks!! If you are going to be at SFGE this year, it will be back with some more upgrades! I've fixed the two places balls kept getting stuck, and I have added a lot of new areas to the software thanks to feedback.

1 week later
#846 4 years ago

Thank you all very much!!

I continue to tweak the gameplay as more seasoned players get to play it. One piece of feedback I heard was that balls coming out of the Spaceball One lock would go SDTM too much. I had a ball saver there, but just having them drop out of Spaceball One and hit the playfield was a problem.

I pulled an old wireform out of the spare parts pile and modified it to do the job.

I'm working on some higher quality pics of Spaceballs to post, I realized recently that I don't have a lot of them.

#849 4 years ago

Working on trying to get some decent photos of the game

playfield_high_res.jpgplayfield_high_res.jpg
#850 4 years ago
chest_burster_highres.jpgchest_burster_highres.jpgdruidia_highres.jpgdruidia_highres.jpgplayfield_rear_highres.jpgplayfield_rear_highres.jpgyogurt_highres.jpgyogurt_highres.jpg
11 months later
#854 3 years ago
Quoted from ParaPandora:

Is this project still going? I hope it comes to fruition...this is an awesome theme!

Quoted from toyotaboy:

He might do some software updates, but I think he's done. He's onto the next homebrew:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supernatural-homebrew-pinball

Yeah toyotaboy is right, Spaceballs is done for the most part.

I've been really terrible about posting videos with the finished rules and stuff.

1 year later
#856 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This is awesome! Any updates? I see you mentioned it's mostly done but just wanted to see if you've been tinkering

I've been working on it off and on, mostly new software modes. I made some tweaks to the playfield that I can't remember if I mentioned. I added a new wireform from Spaceball one's ball lock to the left inlane.

The main focus on the code additions are around things like more integrations of the vari-target to modes, etc.. Better light shows, better video placement, etc..

I'll have it with me at SFGE this year in Atlanta if I can make it.

I'm currently starting to glue inserts into the whitewood for my next game, which is a collab between myself and another homebrew person.

10 months later
#857 1 year ago

Got the chance to take some video.

Here is a general high level overview of the game:

Chestburster Double Scoring Mode:

Colonel Sandurz:

#860 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Still one of my favorite themes for a homebrew

Quoted from swinks:

looks great, alot going on there in the game, well done

Thanks guys.

For anyone interested, Spaceballs will be in Charlotte, NC for an event at Super Abari on March 19th, 2023. (https://www.facebook.com/events/723005039509407/)

The game will also be at SFGE again this year (2023). (https://gameatl.com/)

#862 1 year ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Played it at SFGE a couple or few years ago. Loved it then, tons of fun.

Lots of new code and upgrades now! I changed a lot around to make getting into the modes easier and more fun. Based on the limited number of games people will generally get on Spaceballs I decided to make it easier to explore everything.

4 months later
#869 9 months ago

Hey Everyone, Spaceballs: The Pinball Machine, will be at SFGE in a few weeks if you are gonna be there!

We are also doing a seminar about building your own machine Friday night at 8:30pm. Check the schedule for more details!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spaceballs-the-pin?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.