chest_burster_highres.jpg
druidia_highres.jpg
yogurt_highres.jpg
playfield_rear_highres.jpg
playfield_high_res.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190713_195516 (resized).jpg
Why+didnt+anyone+tell+me+my+ass+was+so+big+_a86a6dc8b0f97047ca0f0f7280c21da3 (resized).jpg
20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
20190615_163152 (resized).jpg
20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
playfieldlayout (resized).jpg
all_cab_art (resized).jpg
There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
#701 5 years ago

Humm, that's very interesting. Clearly I'm overthinking it. I had based my design on the older Williams machines having 750VA transformers. When I was shopping I found 800VA and 1000VA transformers, and the 1000VA was only $16 more so I said what the heck?

Seeing this made me think about it more. I haven't done anything analog in nearly 2 decades, but it hit me that with inductors and their transient response, peak current isn't at the start, it's at the end. With solenoids, it may not even hit the peak "steady state" current before the EOS switch is thrown. Plus the power supplies bulk capacitors may handle the surge.

Oh well. Maybe I can just run 4 games off a single power supply One thing is for sure, there is a lot to learn from a project like this.

Thanks again for sharing the details of your build!

#702 5 years ago
Quoted from Geomancer:

Humm, that's very interesting. Clearly I'm overthinking it. I had based my design on the older Williams machines having 750VA transformers. When I was shopping I found 800VA and 1000VA transformers, and the 1000VA was only $16 more so I said what the heck?
Seeing this made me think about it more. I haven't done anything analog in nearly 2 decades, but it hit me that with inductors and their transient response, peak current isn't at the start, it's at the end. With solenoids, it may not even hit the peak "steady state" current before the EOS switch is thrown. Plus the power supplies bulk capacitors may handle the surge.
Oh well. Maybe I can just run 4 games off a single power supply One thing is for sure, there is a lot to learn from a project like this.
Thanks again for sharing the details of your build!

You'll never get any grief from me for overdoing a power supply.

The coils are controlled via PWM with modern hardware, and sometimes without EOS. For example, Spaceballs has EOS wired up but doesn't actually use them. It doesn't need them.

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You'll never get any grief from me for overdoing a power supply.
The coils are controlled via PWM with modern hardware, and sometimes without EOS. For example, Spaceballs has EOS wired up but doesn't actually use them. It doesn't need them.

Don't you want full power through the stroke, and only PWM to hold?

When held, can't the flippers be "pushed" by a ball smacking into it so you still need the EOS to know if more power is needed? I had been told that in another thread.

#704 5 years ago
Quoted from Geomancer:

Don't you want full power through the stroke, and only PWM to hold?
When held, can't the flippers be "pushed" by a ball smacking into it so you still need the EOS to know if more power is needed? I had been told that in another thread.

It can, but there are compensating controls you can put in place. MPF has a good write up on EOS:

http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/mechs/flippers/eos_switches.html

They also have a good write up on pulse power:

http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/mechs/coils/pulse_power.html

#706 5 years ago

I'm so excited for this!

If you aren't a Goldbergs fan already you all should give it a shot! It's good stuff!

2 weeks later
#707 5 years ago

Wolfmarsh I just stumbled on this thread and must say it is awesome. I can quote this movie word for word and to put it into a pinball machine is amazing. Looking forward to following this thread through to the very end. Keep up the amazing hard work and major props for having a vision and seeing it through!

2 weeks later
#708 5 years ago

For you Spaceballs assholes, I'll be moderating a panel on homebrew pinball at SFGE in Atlanta this weekend, Friday night from 7-8 pm. Scott Danesi and Wilder Hamm will be joining me to have a cool chat about homebrew and how you can get started.

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

For you Spaceballs assholes, I'll be moderating a panel on homebrew pinball at SFGE in Atlanta this weekend, Friday night from 7-8 pm. Scott Danesi and Wilder Hamm will be joining me to have a cool chat about homebrew and how you can get started.

Are you surrounded by assholes

#711 5 years ago

Lol

1t5zxr (resized).jpg1t5zxr (resized).jpg
#712 5 years ago

Damn I canceled my SFGE trip please record this talk!

#713 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

As always SFGE was fantastic but the highlight of the show was this session. Such great info, lots of audience participation and very humble/talented panel members.

Fingers crossed that this will be a reoccurring discussion "to be continued" at SFGE2019.

1 month later
#714 5 years ago

I think I have the final revisions done, time to cut what is hopefully the final playfield.

image-1 (resized).pngimage-1 (resized).png
#715 5 years ago

Do you cut the playfields yourself? Is it automated or do you transpose all this by hand?

#716 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Do you cut the playfields yourself? Is it automated or do you transpose all this by hand?

I cut them on a X-Carve CNC router that I extended to be able to handle the full length of a playfield. I had to go automated, I can't make it through the number of cuts on a playfield by hand and not screw it up at some point.

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

X-Carve CNC router that I extended

Is that literally swapping out the baseboard and extending the 80/20 channel, or do you have to add some braces to stiffen everything up since a larger platform means more drooping over a longer distance?

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is that literally swapping out the baseboard and extending the 80/20 channel, or do you have to add some braces to stiffen everything up since a larger platform means more drooping over a longer distance?

That's basically it. I did print a couple of braces to make sure the longer extrusion didn't droop, but that was minimal.

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I cut them on a X-Carve CNC router that I extended to be able to handle the full length of a playfield. I had to go automated, I can't make it through the number of cuts on a playfield by hand and not screw it up at some point.

Can...
Can I pay you for one?

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Can...
Can I pay you for one?

For one what?

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I cut them on a X-Carve CNC router that I extended to be able to handle the full length of a playfield.

So I'm guessing that it's your own cnc router, can you cut steel with it or it's not rigid enough? I'm interested to see how you've done your extension.
By the way, you may have been able to make it on your machine without extending it. For that, you could have use a simple set of two dowel pin that would have been reference point between operation as shown in the diagram that I've made bellow.
Edit: zero point doesn't change between operation since your references for op 20 are located using the dowel pins, you just need to keep in mind that you've rotated the playfield 180 degrees and need to locate your patterns using the reference holes and not the sides of the playfield.

Quoted from Coyote:

Can...
Can I pay you for one?

I think that he meant: Can you do some custom job? Like, if I give you a vector image of a playfield and pay you for the job, would you do it?
Or maybe he just meant the machine

SET UP FOR PLAYFILED MACHINING IN TWO STEP ON A SMALL MACHINE (resized).pngSET UP FOR PLAYFILED MACHINING IN TWO STEP ON A SMALL MACHINE (resized).png

#722 5 years ago

Spaceballs playfield, of course!

Not the whole game. Just the playfield. Y'know. Mount it up on my wall next to my TV, and have it light up as I watch the movie!

Edit, Added after the fact: Apparently I wasn't clear enough that I was being facetious. I realize that at the most, it wouldn't be able to be done because of fear of licensing issues. At least, the time and effort needed to make another. As much as I would fucking love to have one in my light box hanging on the wall, I gotta respect the time and effort put into this.

#723 5 years ago

Playfield question. When your cutting out for inserts what size lip do you leave for them to sit on?

1 week later
#724 5 years ago
Quoted from Houkaka:

So I'm guessing that it's your own cnc router, can you cut steel with it or it's not rigid enough? I'm interested to see how you've done your extension.
By the way, you may have been able to make it on your machine without extending it.

There are other x-carve pinball people that have done what you suggest. I wanted to be able to cut cabinet sides without moving the wood around, so the best option for me was to extend the machine. It really only required the 1800mm rails and two supports to be 3d printed.

Quoted from Coyote:

Spaceballs playfield, of course!

Coyote and I chatted over PM about this. I'd love to make playfield for people, but the current plan is to do the art by hand right on the playfield, versus digitally. That may change, but right now this is definitely a bespoke one-off.

Quoted from bigduke6:

Playfield question. When your cutting out for inserts what size lip do you leave for them to sit on?

1.6mm.

I got what is hopefully the final playfield cut! Now I need to order some inserts and get them all glued in. I made some more changes and added some more inserts.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

the current plan is to do the art by hand right on the playfield, versus digitally

If you do end up hand painting, you should at least scan it before populating it for prosperity.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you do end up hand painting, you should at least scan it before populating it for prosperity.

Good idea.

I think my next step is to populate this as a whitewood, once i've put the inserts in and cleared it. I need to work out some more of the software things that might change the art a little.

Then I'll take everything off this playfield and put the art on it, then repopulate it again.

#727 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Posterity?

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

...before populating it for prosperity.

Probably going to charge a quarter a game ( - :

#729 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Probably going to charge a quarter a game ( - :

Ah, I see. Prosperity it is then. My fault.

#730 5 years ago

LOL, I read it as posterity!

#731 5 years ago

Starting the process of gluing in the inserts.

1 week later
#732 5 years ago

I finally decided to go digital with the artwork for the playfield.

I think I got the mode names worked out.

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think I got the mode names worked out

It's a shame merchandising is such a long word. Wonder if you could arch the font to make it fit without a hyphen?

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's a shame merchandising is such a long word. Wonder if you could arch the font to make it fit without a hyphen?

Ugh I know. I'm open to suggestions. I tried a bunch of layouts with the word and this was the best looking.

I'd even be open to changing it out for a different mode.

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ugh I know. I'm open to suggestions. I tried a bunch of layouts with the word and this was the best looking.

No, I think it looks fine with the hyphen...
If games can make you spell out stuff that is spread across a playfield... Then a hyphen is alright with me.
And you really need the Merchandising mode, as that was not just a funny and true joke, but a joke that they did multiple callbacks to throughout the movie.

#736 5 years ago

What if you change the hyphenation?

SB (resized).jpgSB (resized).jpg
#737 5 years ago

Please do not take it to SFGE a 3rd year in a row and it not play at all...
P.s... you're not singled out, that goes for Zelda too.

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I didn't even bring it to SFGE this year, life got in the way unfortunately.

I've made it a goal to have it 100% complete by SFGE, so I can move on to a different project.

#739 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

It was a shame my power cord got ripped out upon set up for Zelda. It wasnt as simple as just putting 3 wires back unfortunately. Just like with Spaceballs I hope to have a finished product next summer

#740 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"Flamethrower".

But that's still long.

"The Doll".

Eeh..
"Kid's Favorite"

eeh..

Unrelated,
Fortune Cookie?

#741 5 years ago

Keep Firing @ssholes!!!

#742 5 years ago

Liquid swartz.

#743 5 years ago

… The kind of combination an idiot would have on his luggage

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Merch n' dyson upgrade megamaid to win

Megamerch

or just

Spaceballs
the merch

2 weeks later
#745 5 years ago

I love this movie!

SkroobAnnotated (resized).jpgSkroobAnnotated (resized).jpg
#746 5 years ago

Could change the mode to Merchandising, Merchandising, Merchandising! And just have it printed in small font multiple times to fill up the insert.

#747 5 years ago

How about 'Mr. Rental' or 'Instant Cassettes'? From the VCR scene where 'we ain't found $h!t'...

1 month later
#748 5 years ago

Alternate mode ideas:
"Hyper Active" or "Gone to Plaid"
"Escape Pod" (find the open escape pod before self destruct)
"Pizza the Hut" (help Pizza get out of his limo before he eats himself)
"Nose Job" (shooting for the shield combo)

1 week later
#749 5 years ago

Now that my wife is getting her strength back, I am getting some pinball time. Starting to tear down the current playfield and move it all over to the new (and final) playfield.
fullplayfield_small (resized).jpgfullplayfield_small (resized).jpg

#750 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Now that my wife is getting her strength back, I am getting some pinball time. Starting to tear down the current playfield and move it all over to the new (and final) playfield.
[quoted image]

its dis-heartening to see your struggles on facebook. glad to see things are turning around.

There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spaceballs-the-pin/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.