chest_burster_highres.jpg
druidia_highres.jpg
yogurt_highres.jpg
playfield_rear_highres.jpg
playfield_high_res.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190713_195516 (resized).jpg
Why+didnt+anyone+tell+me+my+ass+was+so+big+_a86a6dc8b0f97047ca0f0f7280c21da3 (resized).jpg
20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
20190615_163152 (resized).jpg
20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
playfieldlayout (resized).jpg
all_cab_art (resized).jpg
There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
#601 6 years ago

It's coming along. I left Wolfmarsh with some imitation shasta, so he can power through the night.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It's coming along. I left Wolfmarsh with some imitation shasta, so he can power through the night.

I can't thank Kneissl and BadBrick enough for their help last night. They completely owned moving all of the hardware and wiring from the old cabinet to the new cabinet and knocked it out for me without any issue.

We tested the glass in the new cabinet and it fit perfectly, no danger of falling in.

While they were doing that, I was able to focus on soldering a bunch of stuff on the playfield and got pretty far with it. I'm hoping to finish up all the soldering today so I can actually put the playfield in the cabinet.

Plus, the off-brand shasta was pretty damn swanky.

I'll try and post some pics today of the playfield and populated cabinet. 4 days until SFGE.

#603 6 years ago

When you start poking your nose around this game, it's pretty crazy how many custom bits and pieces wolfmarsh has in this thing. He's got serious hours clocked on this project.

#604 6 years ago

This is one of the greatest things ever.

#605 6 years ago

I want to creste custom warning labels for this thing

#606 6 years ago

Been pushing forward with the game as hard as I can. Figured I would post a couple pics while I was taking a short break for the ibuprofen to kick in.

Got all of the underside wiring done, and I started wiring all of the stuff up on the top that was still to go (mainly optos).

underside wiring done (resized).pngunderside wiring done (resized).png

optos wired and new spinner (resized).pngoptos wired and new spinner (resized).png

#607 6 years ago

making good progress, well done

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

making good progress, well done

Thanks swinks, you helped with a lot of the initial work!

I was counting up things today, Spaceballs has 28 44/555 bulbs, 70 RGB LEDs, 26 coil drivers, and 55 switches.

#609 6 years ago

I swear this is going to end up better than Star Wars. I'm serious. Awesome job wolfmarsh!

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I swear this is going to end up better than Star Wars. I'm serious. Awesome job wolfmarsh!

Haha, I appreciate the compliment but there is zero chance this pin will be better than any Stern out there.

I finally got the entire playfield wired and assembled. Some of the plastics are crystal clear so you might have a hard time seeing them in this pic, no time to do any art before the show. Here is the playfield as it stands. Tomorrow I'll be working on getting it into the cabinet and getting the computer fired up.

SFGE_Playfield.jpgSFGE_Playfield.jpg

#611 6 years ago

Looks great John - can't wait to see it this weekend!

-scott

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Looks great John - can't wait to see it this weekend!
-scott

Thanks Scott!

Got the playfield all completed and in the cabinet, it all fits. Now on to powering it up and seeing what's what.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#614 6 years ago

It's alive! All RGB LEDs work.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#615 6 years ago

wow, this is impressive and its things like this that make pinside fun to visit.

#616 6 years ago

well done, looks sweet

#617 6 years ago

Looking good. Is the artwork designed yet? Do you plan on using this same play field with the artwork eventually?

#618 6 years ago

How does it shoot??!

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

How does it shoot??!

Across your nose; not up it!

#620 6 years ago

Amazing, love love love seeing this progress, making a pin is so much damn work, you can't appreciate it until you're in the thick of it. You're kicking ass!

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

Looking good. Is the artwork designed yet? Do you plan on using this same play field with the artwork eventually?

No art designed yet, I will hopefully get to use the same playfield, if not i'll cut a new one.

Quoted from Kneissl:

How does it shoot??!

Unfortunately, I won't get to find out before SFGE. I ran into some major roadblocks last night that keep me from getting the software done, so it will have to be at SFGE as a box of lights, basically in permanent attract mode.

After the show I can sit down and work through the roadblocks. One of the major ones is a RJ45 jack on one of my IO boards is broken, so I can't get the IO board loop to work (ie, no coils or switches). I'll have to replace the jack after the show.

It is a little disappointing, but I made a huge effort these past few weeks to get it to this point. When I get back from SFGE I'm looking forward to starting on the software and not being rushed to get it working again.

#622 6 years ago

Someone bring this man an IO board!

#623 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Someone bring this man an IO board!

FAST pinball offered to overnight me a board, but that would mean changing it out at the show Frday night, then just starting to test the new mechs and stuff. Not a great thing to do at the show, without my shop and all my tools.

It's pretty stress relieving to just pack it up and be done stressing over it.

#624 6 years ago

awesome job so far! keep the good work

#625 6 years ago

Still worth it to see the progress in person (even if it is a 'box of lights'). I am sure the pics don't do your work justice!

-scott

#626 6 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Still worth it to see the progress in person (even if it is a 'box of lights'). I am sure the pics don't do your work justice!
-scott

Thanks Scott. I hope everyone likes what I've got going on with the new playfield, even in its unplayable state. Safe travels getting to the show everyone!

#627 6 years ago

You did an amazing amount of work in the run up to this show! Looking forward to our shows not being on the same day again next year! Then we can fly out to SFGE like we did last year.

You guys will be impressed by John's work.

Have fun at the show! Sleep in, relax a bit and then dive into the code when you get home. Maybe give yourself a week or two to recover first.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#628 6 years ago

Excellent work! I am more of a gearhead and I enjoy the mechanical nature of pinball -- I envy your ability and knowledge of coding/working all the "invisible" aspects of the pinball machine. Love the movie, love your layout and ideas. From what I can tell your machine will be a winner with a lot of thought and creativity put into it vs. just another themed machine that leaves you disappointed with game play.
Looking forward to your progress!!

#629 6 years ago

Well, it's here at SFGE.

SFGE Proof (resized).pngSFGE Proof (resized).png

#630 6 years ago

congrats, enjoy the show and look forward to hearing how its celebrated. Lots of hard work to get there. Great job!

#631 6 years ago

Here is a short clip of the attract mode I put together for the show:

#632 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing updates from the show when your back.

2 weeks later
#633 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Looking forward to seeing updates from the show when your back.

I've been working on the machine since I got back, getting close to being able to play a game on it.

I got my node boards repaired, and have fixed any other wiring issues I have found since. Next up is relocating the right flipper button switch. It barely interferes with my auto launch, so I need to mount the switch in a different position.

Today is Mel Brooks's birthday, maybe I can get a video up of some flippers going tonight.

#634 6 years ago

Got a short video of a quick game. Bear in mind this is no lights and no software really, just enough to get it flipping. My dad is in town for the 4th so I asked him to play while I filmed.

3 weeks later
#635 6 years ago

Been working on the software since the last post, got some small things going. I am pretty much in love with mission pinball framework (MPF) at this point. In the video I avoid actually going into the multiballs because they both have ball savers and would have extended the video by a lot.

#636 6 years ago

that video made me smile so much. Such progress since the last video.

#637 6 years ago

Looking good!

#638 6 years ago

nice work, you are making good progress

#639 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Been working on the software since the last post, got some small things going. I am pretty much in love with mission pinball framework (MPF) at this point. In the video I avoid actually going into the multiballs because they both have ball savers and would have extended the video by a lot.
» YouTube video

I Love it! Can't wait to see more.

#640 6 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm finally getting to play the game, and I'm loving it so far.

#641 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

» YouTube video

Looking great! Keep up the good work! I really hope I'll be able to play it next SFGE

#642 6 years ago

I like what I see! Can't wait to see more.

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from etlandfill:

Looking great! Keep up the good work! I really hope I'll be able to play it next SFGE

You'll definitely be able to play it at the next SFGE.

I've got some tweaking to do on the vari-target, the spring doesn't seem strong enough to return it reliably. The only other real issue I've found with the layout so far is that the saucer kickout right above the right outlane is kinda useless. I'm going to remove it and place a target or something else interesting there.

Anyone got one of those gottlieb kicker targets they would sell me? That might be a good alternative there.

#644 6 years ago

The kicker targets are awesome, can't believe they aren't still used on newer games.

#645 6 years ago

Wow man... that's amazeBALLS.

#646 6 years ago

That is awesome!!!

#648 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

» YouTube video

So awesome! I love how all the pieces and parts I have seen being worked on suddenly coming together into SPACEBALLS! Great work John! Keep it up!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#649 6 years ago

That is awesome work John! Someone needs to put this into production for you!

-scott

#650 6 years ago

Great job!
The 1-2-3-4-5 targets along with the King Roland clips made me laugh out loud.

There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spaceballs-the-pin/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.