chest_burster_highres.jpg
druidia_highres.jpg
yogurt_highres.jpg
playfield_rear_highres.jpg
playfield_high_res.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190713_195516 (resized).jpg
Why+didnt+anyone+tell+me+my+ass+was+so+big+_a86a6dc8b0f97047ca0f0f7280c21da3 (resized).jpg
20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
20190615_163152 (resized).jpg
20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
playfieldlayout (resized).jpg
all_cab_art (resized).jpg
There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.
#551 7 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm getting really excited for this next version of the game.

The plan is to test fit all the mechs and stuff this weekend, so I can clear the playfield and start assembly.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Donatello is standing in for the chest burster for testing.

"RIP John Hurt" Strange that these come up the same day.

"John Hurt, 'Elephant Man' Star And Character Actor, Dies At 77 - Hurt received Academy Award nominations for his work in Midnight Express in 1978 and David Lynch's The Elephant Man in 1980, but may be best remembered for his death-by-parasite-birth in Ridley Scott's Alien, a scene he comedically reprised several years later in Mel Brooks' Spaceballs."

Kinda nice to see that great comic moment at the center of his legacy now gets carried on in Pinball too. Keep up the good work Wolf.

#553 7 years ago

Test fitting went really well, so I decided to fit in a light clear coat today.

The previous version of the test playfield on the left, the new one on the right. Next step is to do a couple more coats of clear with sanding in between.

spaceballs playfield v2 vs v4.jpgspaceballs playfield v2 vs v4.jpg

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Next step is to do a couple more coats of clear with sanding in between.

exciting progress, looks like feedback and additional design time is showing gains. Can't wait to see the populated playfield and some play video.

#555 7 years ago

Magnet Liberty vacuum suck somewhere on the pf is a must dude!!!

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Donatello is standing in for the chest burster for testing.
» YouTube video

Best gadget in pinball ever!

#557 7 years ago

This is too funny! Fantastic work so far!

1 week later
#558 7 years ago

Got some more work on the tractor beam toy done. Testing some code now. The general concept is when the mode starts you are trying to save Vespa from being sucked in by the tractor beam. If you are successful in hitting all the targets, Lone Star flies away with her in the Eagle 5, and there are tons of playfield bonuses and jackpots during the fly-away.

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Got some more work on the tractor beam toy done. Testing some code now. The general concept is when the mode starts you are trying to save Vespa from being sucked in by the tractor beam. If you are successful in hitting all the targets, Lone Star flies away with her in the Eagle 5, and there are tons of playfield bonuses and jackpots during the fly-away.
» YouTube video

Dat music doe Paul Shaffer (from the David Letterman show) wrote it, right?

Looks cool!

#560 7 years ago

Great stuff! Your work is great and inspiring me to reach further than i though I could on my project!

-Jim

#562 7 years ago

In for updates. Jealous of your brain.

2 weeks later
#563 7 years ago

^^^ What he said

4 weeks later
#564 7 years ago

Any updates? Thanks in advance.

#565 7 years ago

Yes...updates I love Spaceballs! I have always said it would make a great pinball machine. I can't wait to see this finished. Keep up the great do work.

May the schwartz be with you!

#566 7 years ago

There has been progress!

I've been working on getting the playfield populated, this version is a lot more involved than the last, so I've also had to wing some things as I figure them out.

The wireforms are missing from this pic, but you'll get the idea of how much further I've gotten.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#567 7 years ago

looking great, very nice progress

#568 7 years ago

And now I see how the tractor beam fits in too. VERY cool!

#569 7 years ago

Well done. I watched the movie last night. I love Mel Brooks comedies.

Lord Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?
Maj. Asshole: I did, sir! He's my cousin.
Lord Dark Helmet: Who is he?
Col. Sandurz: He's an Asshole, sir.
Lord Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?
Col. Sandurz: That is his name, sir. Asshole. Major Asshole.
Lord Dark Helmet: And his cousin?
Col. Sandurz: He's an Asshole, too, sir. Gunner's made first class Phillip Asshole.
Lord Dark Helmet: How many Asshole's we got on this ship, anyhow? [All Asshole's stand up and shout "YO!"]
Lord Dark Helmet: I knew it, I'm surrounded by Asshole's. [Dark Helmet pulls down mask.] Keep firing, Asshole's!

Very funny.

#570 7 years ago

"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb."

#571 7 years ago

Comb the desert with the afro pic still always gets me lol

4720947+_b946f72cd829e73db4bcc804d7ab48d9 (resized).jpg4720947+_b946f72cd829e73db4bcc804d7ab48d9 (resized).jpg

#572 7 years ago

The left ramp and right loop shots look way tight. Looks almost impossible to hit that left ramp with that post arrangement.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The left ramp and right loop shots look way tight. Looks almost impossible to hit that left ramp with that post arrangement.

They are very easy to hit and are wider than ramp entrances I measured on production games.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Comb the desert with the afro pic still always gets me lol

We ain't found shit!

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Well done. I watched the movie last night. I love Mel Brooks comedies.
Lord Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?
Maj. Asshole: I did, sir! He's my cousin.
Lord Dark Helmet: Who is he?
Col. Sandurz: He's an Asshole, sir.
Lord Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?
Col. Sandurz: That is his name, sir. Asshole. Major Asshole.
Lord Dark Helmet: And his cousin?
Col. Sandurz: He's an Asshole, too, sir. Gunner's made first class Phillip Asshole.
Lord Dark Helmet: How many Asshole's we got on this ship, anyhow? [All Asshole's stand up and shout "YO!"]
Lord Dark Helmet: I knew it, I'm surrounded by Asshole's. [Dark Helmet pulls down mask.] Keep firing, Asshole's!
Very funny.

I love that scene.
What makes it *even better* is that EVERYONE stands up -
EXCEPT for the one dude in the bottom left, who just looks around, and then gets back to work.

1 week later
#576 7 years ago

Hey John -

Is that a regular wireform in the shooter lane? I am asking as if it is, I wondered if you had ever thought of trying to make that (or any other wireforms) on a 3D printer using a plastic material instead of metal?

Would it hold up? Seems that it would since so many other ramps are plastic or something like that. The benefit it seems to me would be that you would have unlimited color choices versus having to get a metal version powdercoated, etc., and it may be easier to source someone to print it for you versus trying to weld the metal form together.

Just thinking out loud to see your thoughts?

-scott

#577 7 years ago

This thing looks f@#$in awesome man. Can't wait to see as it progresses. One of the funniest movies of all time...stupid humor (like Naked Gun, History of the World) but I love it all.

#579 7 years ago

Charlie going to produce this after it's done?

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Charlie going to produce this after it's done?

I'm a buyer if so

#581 7 years ago

Please put the infamous call out in the code "She's switching from suck to blow!!"

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Hey John -
Is that a regular wireform in the shooter lane? I am asking as if it is, I wondered if you had ever thought of trying to make that (or any other wireforms) on a 3D printer using a plastic material instead of metal?
Would it hold up? Seems that it would since so many other ramps are plastic or something like that. The benefit it seems to me would be that you would have unlimited color choices versus having to get a metal version powdercoated, etc., and it may be easier to source someone to print it for you versus trying to weld the metal form together.
Just thinking out loud to see your thoughts?
-scott

Hey Scott! It is a regular wireform, this one was originally for Cyclone. You could probably do it, but it would have to have more bulk than standard wireforms. Plastic printed that thin wouldn't stand up to balls. Some of my ramps and mechs are 3d printed, which does lend to a lot of color choices.

Some of the homebrew guys have taken to printing brackets that hold metal rod, like this:

That was done by Brian Cox, who is building a slew of games, including SteamPunk Royale which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/SteamPunkRoyale/

He 3D prints a lot of his game parts.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Please put the infamous call out in the code "She's switching from suck to blow!!"

Oh, it's in there.

1 week later
#583 7 years ago

We definately need an update over here

3 weeks later
#584 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

We definately need an update over here

I'm here

Been doing some work to try and get it working before SFGE. Tried my hand at painting up the chest burster, be gentle it's my first time (and not done yet).

#585 6 years ago

Baby my hearts on fire!

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm here
Been doing some work to try and get it working before SFGE. Tried my hand at painting up the chest burster, be gentle it's my first time (and not done yet).

Good job. Well done. I can't wait to see more!

#587 6 years ago

nice paint job...

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm here

Nice! Now I'm really wishing I had plans to make it to SFGE this year, but it's unlikely to happen. Hopefully you'll being it back next year and I'll be able to check it out. I've been really excited about this one! Can't wait to see the progress you've made

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm here

hello my honey.....

looks great so far. keep it coming!

#590 6 years ago

This is so great man!!! Hands down my favorite thread please please please make a Pizza the Hutt pf toy! I will give you anything for one!!!

#592 6 years ago

12 days until SFGE, in an effort to keep myself on track and moving at a quick pace I'm going to try to post updates daily until the show.

Due to some misinformation I got early on, my cab ended up being a quarter inch wider than it should have been. I made it work for SFGE last year but this year I wanted a proper cabinet. Leave it to me to wait until less than 2 weeks left to start on that.

I'm confirming some final measurements, but here is the next version of my cabinet. I'm hopefully going to be cutting this tomorrow on the X-Carve.

#593 6 years ago

Great news! Looking forward to seeing the push and the results

#594 6 years ago

Got the pieces laid out on the stock and got the stock cut up into the right size bits to fit on the X-Carve.

If I had a CNC router capable of accepting a 4x8 sheet I could skip this step, but this extra bit only takes an hour or so do lay it all out and rough cut it with a jigsaw/circular saw.

Since I need this cabinet 4 weeks ago, I am using butt joints, glue, screws, and brackets w/screws. For my next rev of the cabinet I'll be doing the correct lock miter joint.

#595 6 years ago

When you start producing these in bulk, I'll be ordering a Lone Star LE.

#596 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

When you start producing these in bulk, I'll be ordering a Lone Star LE.

I'm holding out for a Princess Vespa Bass edition...!

#597 6 years ago

Today's update, I got the cabinet cut and 90% together. Tomorrow's plan is to finish the last assembly stuff and bondo the cabinet.

#598 6 years ago

The daily updates fell behind, but I've been moving as fast as possible to get it ready for the show. Got the new cabinet painted, even though it's not near perfect and will need to be cleaned up at some point, it will work for SFGE.

I took a tip from the pinball amigos and their Minions project and called in some help tonight to get things pushed ahead. BadBrick and Kneissl will be joining me tonight to move all the stuff from the old cabinet to the new while I do the rest of the soldering on the playfield.

If it all goes well we will be putting in the playfield tonight and potentially powering it on.

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If it all goes well we will be putting in the playfield tonight and potentially powering it on.

Keep on chuggin' along. Share when you can I'm excited to see progress.

#600 6 years ago

May the Swartz be with you

There are 870 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spaceballs-the-pin/page/12?hl=slcpunk2113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.