5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 835 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by illpoet
  • Topic is favorited by 151 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 154 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    20190713_195516 (resized).jpg
    Why+didnt+anyone+tell+me+my+ass+was+so+big+_a86a6dc8b0f97047ca0f0f7280c21da3 (resized).jpg
    20190615_163206 (resized).jpg
    20190615_163152 (resized).jpg
    20190612_133542 (resized).jpg
    playfieldlayout (resized).jpg
    all_cab_art (resized).jpg
    newplayfieldcomparison (resized).jpg
    partseverywhere (resized).jpg
    fullplayfield_small (resized).jpg
    SkroobAnnotated (resized).jpg
    SB (resized).jpg

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 3 years ago

Please be true! Please be true! Maybe this will be done to coincide!
    image_(resized).jpeg

#452 3 years ago

I heard not too long ago that Mel is indeed working on a script for a sequel by this name. can't wait.

#453 3 years ago

Def true

My sister lives in nyc and she has seen these posters here n there

May the Swartz be with you ....

#454 3 years ago

How great would that be!?!?!?

#456 3 years ago

give he his in his late 80s and has not directed anything in almost 20 years, and has done almost no acting, other than voice work for the last ten years, hard to see this happening. If he has one more movie left in him, not sure it would be a sequel, especially considering he has never done one, other then moving his movies to broadway. I suspect he is happy doing a little voice work and a little writing here and there, but just hard to see him wanting to take on the grind as directing and writing a full length motion picture.

I think "spaceballs The animated series" is the closest we will see to a sequel.

Not sure anyone thought we were would see a zoolander 2 (and it would probably have been better had they not) so I guess anything is possible.

In the meantime, still waiting for some playfield photos

#457 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

In the meantime, still waiting for some playfield photos

You're gonna be waiting about 2-3 more months before I show anything, but I did get some more backbox work done.

backbox_(resized).jpg

#458 3 years ago

Saw this today and it reminded me to pop in and check this thread.12814604_1072579659471615_4717038912485367178_n_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #459 3 years ago

Got the interior of the backbox wired, at least for now. Once I go to do the teardown, painting, and rebuild I will firm up the different harnesses and wire routing.

most wiring installed

wiring test

#460 3 years ago

I sure hope there's a mode where that screen gets jammed!

#461 3 years ago

So what motivated yo ufo go with the EM style of accessing the head from the back?

What is your plan for the bezel? will it be a single piece/graphic or two pieces as the wood is now?

Seems like you have become quite the expert at making 3D Printed brackets, e.g. power supplies, monitors, circuit boards. Are they all properly labeled/themed as "Spaceballs the power bracket", "space balls the monitor bracket", etc.?

#462 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

So what motivated yo ufo go with the EM style of accessing the head from the back?

Main reason is because it was easier to engineer than the front door. There are some things missing still from this version of the backbox. There are two air vents that go to the left and right of the LCD, to blow wind at the player. With those louvers, the LCD, the DMD, etc.. it just seemed easier to make the back move than all that stuff on the front, or even have a panel that just swung out.

When I work on a pin in my room, I typically slide the cart under it and move it over to the workbench, so having the access in the back doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.

Quoted from rosh:

What is your plan for the bezel? will it be a single piece/graphic or two pieces as the wood is now?

It will stay as two pieces of wood, with graphics on them. If you look closely the two pieces are at different angles to maximize the viewing angle on the LCD when the game is in proper position. You can see more definition of the angle in the shadow on the left of the backbox face.

Quoted from rosh:

Seems like you have become quite the expert at making 3D Printed brackets, e.g. power supplies, monitors, circuit boards. Are they all properly labeled/themed as "Spaceballs the power bracket", "space balls the monitor bracket", etc.?

Little square things are easy to model, lol. It's curves and ramps and stuff that I'm still learning. Most are labelled with fun labels like that. I only didn't where it was too small to print the text legibly. There are all kinds of little fun things in there that nobody will ever see, but it's made it fun along the way.

1 week later
    #463 3 years ago

Pinsider BadBrick came over and helped me extend the CNC. A lot more manual cuts than I expected, but we got it going. Huge thanks to BadBrick for the help.

Still need to cut another piece of waste board to fit next to the old one.

skeleton

gantry back on

#464 3 years ago

nice work, gotta get myself one of these soon for DoH

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

nice work, gotta get myself one of these soon for DoH

Here are the parts we used for the extension, I think I got them all. Price was about $250 for the extra parts.

Product: MakerSlide - 25142-04
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/makerslide
    Description: Length: 1800mm, Type: MakerSlide, Color: Clear Anodized, Ends: Not Tapped
    Unit price: $34.72
    Quantity: 2
    Total: $69.44

Product: GT2 Belting - Open Ended - 26053-01
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/gt2-belting-open-ended
    Description: Width: 6mm, Pitch: 2mm, Length: 1 ft, Tooth Profile: GT2
    Unit price: $1.99
    Quantity: 16
    Total: $31.84

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 20mm) - Clear - 26047-02
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-20mm-clear
    Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 20 mm, Length: 1000 mm, Width: 20 mm, Type: Extrusion, Color: Gray
    Unit price: $9.00
    Total: $18.00

Product: Extrusion Bracket (Gusset) - 26018-01
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/extrusion-bracket-gusset
    Description: Type: Bracket, Bracket Type: Gusset, Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 30, Length: 30, Width: 20
    Unit price: $1.50
    Quantity: 8
    Total: $12.00

Product: Pre-Assembly T-Slot Nuts - 25281-08
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/pre-assembly-t-slot-nuts
    Description: Pre-Assembly T-Slot Nuts - 25281-05 (x10)
    Unit price: $5.00
    Quantity: 3
    Total: $15.00

Product: Button Head Cap Screw - 25286-15
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/button-head-cap-screw
    Description: Length: 20mm, Pitch: 0.8mm, Quantity: 10, Thread Size: M5, Finish: Black, Screw Type: Button Head, Type: Screw
    Unit price: $2.35
    Quantity: 1
    Total: $2.35

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 40mm) - Clear - 26042-02
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-40mm-clear
    Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Length: 1000 mm, Height: 20 mm, Width: 40 mm, Type: Extrusion
    Unit price: $17.00
    Quantity: 1
    Total: $17.00

Product: Aluminum Extrusion (20mm x 40mm) - Clear - 26042-04
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/aluminum-extrusion-20mm-x-40mm-clear
    Description: Finish: Clear Anodized, Height: 20 mm, Length: 1800 mm, Type: Extrusion, Width: 40 mm
    Unit price: $28.00
    Total: $56.00

Product: Button Head Cap Screw - 25286-01
    http://www.inventables.com/technologies/button-head-cap-screw
    Description: Finish: Black, Length: 10mm, Pitch: 0.8mm, Quantity: 10, Type: Screw, Screw Type: Button Head, Thread Size: M5
    Unit price: $2.52
    Total: $5.04

#467 3 years ago

How much wood dust is going to get on those pins?
    Also nice christmas story lamp

#468 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

How much wood dust is going to get on those pins?

A lot less than I thought was going to happen. I designed a dust shoe for it and it hardly throws any dust off. I've been super happy with the X-Carve, especially with a few modifications/additions.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also nice christmas story lamp

Thanks. My wife got it for me. It's a permanent fixture on a kitchen cart I modified to be a stand for my 3D printer, so I can wheel it around the shop as necessary.

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Here are the parts we used for the extension, I think I got them all. Price was about $250 for the extra parts

Thanks much for sharing that detail. It looks easier than expected, glad too. that really makes the xcarve a best bet. Can't wait to get one of my own.

#470 3 years ago

Just noticed this is on the list for SFGE now. Very excited to see it in person!

#471 3 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Just noticed this is on the list for SFGE now. Very excited to see it in person!

It will be there in some form, but don't expect to be blown away or anything.

It's going to have no art, so a wooden cabinet and a whitewood for a playfield. My goal is to have it up and running enough for people to play a couple of balls and mess with some of the modes. That will give me a chance to get some real and varied feedback on the playfield and code.

I've been working as much as I can on the CAD for the playfield. BadBrick and I are going to pick up the wood for the cabinet next week with the hopes of getting it cut and assembled by April 3rd. Then it's time to cut the first playfield and wire it up.

At the risk of showing something too early, he is an early CAD for the playfield. It's missing all of the stuff from the upper right, and several things on here are just placeholders. It's missing the left and right kickout holes above the outlanes. It's missing 2 big ramps, and a couple orbit ball guides. Also missing a ton of inserts. There are 2 spinners you don't see as well.

Don't be too brutal on me, it's the very first version of the playfield and I haven't tested any of it.

readycutplayfield.jpg

#472 3 years ago

very nice work, progress and awesome that you will get a basic playable version up soon to a show

look forward to more info and videos

#473 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It will be there in some form, but don't expect to be blown away or anything.
    It's going to have no art, so a wooden cabinet and a whitewood for a playfield. My goal is to have it up and running enough for people to play a couple of balls and mess with some of the modes. That will give me a chance to get some real and varied feedback on the playfield and code.
    I've been working as much as I can on the CAD for the playfield. BadBrick and I are going to pick up the wood for the cabinet next week with the hopes of getting it cut and assembled by April 3rd. Then it's time to cut the first playfield and wire it up.
    At the risk of showing something too early, he is an early CAD for the playfield. It's missing all of the stuff from the upper right, and several things on here are just placeholders. It's missing the left and right kickout holes above the outlanes. It's missing 2 big ramps, and a couple orbit ball guides. Also missing a ton of inserts. There are 2 spinners you don't see as well.
    Don't be too brutal on me, it's the very first version of the playfield and I haven't tested any of it.
    readycutplayfield.jpg

CAD is looking good. I'm just excited to see what you bring because i love this theme and everything I've seen of the design thus far has been pretty sweet looking. If it's actually playable at all, that's just an added bonus.

I'm constantly amazed at the dedication and ingenuity that goes into the custom builds i see here. Following them is one of the things i like most about pinside (thankfully it's not all just GB vs. Hobbit and Kaneda threads...<shudder>. I would definitely like to try something like this in the future myself, but even with the tools and the know-how, how the hell do you guys find the time?

#474 3 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

I would definitely like to try something like this in the future myself, but even with the tools and the know-how, how the hell do you guys find the time?

I can't even come close to taking credit for even getting it this far. Although the project has been going on for like 2 years now, I wouldn't even be close to where I am without the great friends I've made and their continuous help and support.

The guys that contribute to Mission Pinball Framework, especially Brian, Gabe, Jan and Quinn are all heroes in my book. The support and advice from other people making FAST/MPF games has been priceless.

When I switched from making my own boardset/framework code to using FAST/MPF, I realized something very important that I think doesn't get enough attention. Making these homebrew games is supposed to be fun, not frustrating. Finding a group you fit in with is leagues more important than what hardware you choose.

Spaceballs will hopefully be the game I want it to be, but the real prize from all of this work is the great people I've met through the process.

#475 3 years ago

Will the LE come in Plaid?

#476 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jtslade:

Will the LE come in Plaid?

Plaid armor.

#477 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I can't even come close to taking credit for even getting it this far. Although the project has been going on for like 2 years now, I wouldn't even be close to where I am without the great friends I've made and their continuous help and support.
    The guys that contribute to Mission Pinball Framework, especially Brian, Gabe, Jan and Quinn are all heroes in my book. The support and advice from other people making FAST/MPF games has been priceless.
    When I switched from making my own boardset/framework code to using FAST/MPF, I realized something very important that I think doesn't get enough attention. Making these homebrew games is supposed to be fun, not frustrating. Finding a group you fit in with is leagues more important than what hardware you choose.
    Spaceballs will hopefully be the game I want it to be, but the real prize from all of this work is the great people I've met through the process.

Bottom line is that you are doing it! Thanks for all you give back in energy, enthusiasm and support for others building their games. The camaraderie keeps us all going when it gets frustrating and inspires us when we need it. I am a pretty upbeat guy, but even sometimes I need a little rah rah when trying to work through something!

Positive Pinball Development for 2016!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#478 3 years ago

So nice to see all those people creating their own table! Good luck on this one, and thats a BIG toy btw!

#479 3 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

So nice to see all those people creating their own table! Good luck on this one, and thats a BIG toy btw!

Yeah, I'm definitely worried it's too big.

Since I've already printed one at that scale, I'm gonna roll with it and see how it plays on the first whitewood and go from there.

Keep the feedback coming. Here is a shot as it sits today, the ramp sucks in the model right now. I'm learning Fusion 360 as I go.

playfield_v-something_plus1.jpg

#480 3 years ago

looking great and amazing how a few features and inserts fill up a playfield, looking forward to updates.

#481 3 years ago

Here is an adjusted playfield based on some of the feedback I got.

Still got a ways to go, but I think I'll cut this one first (sans inserts) and use foamcore to prototype the ramps, ball guides, etc...

You'll have to excuse the poorly done ramp outline, the ball guides that aren't properly curved, and any other weirdness. I'm looking to get the positioning of Spaceball One down so I can add two extra shots to the upper playfield area.

playfield_moved_stuff_v2.jpg

#482 3 years ago

What are you using for CAD drawing?

#483 3 years ago

I'm using Fusion 360.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

They made it free for hobbyists just in the past few months. It's amazing stuff. I had been using Sketchup for my 3D printing needs, but Fusion has even replaced Sketchup there for me.

It also has some really great online integration where all of your projects are stored in the A360 cloud. You can share with other Fusion users, they can do markups on your model, even modify it if you allow them. It has built in versioning, so nothing can ever really get "ruined". You can always go back to an earlier save.

I'm not an experienced modeler, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The experienced modelers I know seem to like Fusion as well. For free, why not give it a shot. There are a TON of tutorials on the web.

Here is one of the first tutorials I bookmarked, I ended up watching it over and over again:

Another pinballer sent me this video that was also really good to watch:

#484 3 years ago

those changes make a difference and gives you a little more height for the ball lock

#485 3 years ago

That multi-ball setup makes me think of this scene

SpaceBallsassholesmultiball_(resized).JPG

#486 3 years ago

Thanks for the info wolf. I have access to solid works at work and I'm ok with that. In curious how fusion compares.

1 week later
    #487 3 years ago

Did the cabinet get cut?!?

#488 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Did the cabinet get cut?!?

Yup! In a couple of weeks you and Rick need to come over again for a playfield populating party.

Upside down, so it looks a little weird

#489 3 years ago

You gotta tape a spaceballs poster on the side of that bad boy!

#490 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

You gotta tape a spaceballs poster on the side of that bad boy!

I've been thinking I'll paint it black before SFGE, and use the vinyl cutter to put "SPACEBALLS: THE PROTOTYPE" on the sides.

I've got some repairs to make on the front, my coin door hole is really snug, and I think the holes for the lockdown bar are off a few mm.

Probably take me a week or two to get it all squared away, then I'll be ready to cut the playfield.

#491 3 years ago

You have a vinyl cutter!?

download_(resized).jpg

#492 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

You have a vinyl cutter!?

download_(resized).jpg

Haha, it's over right behind the big pink Barbie Escalade that we were looking at. It's a 36" wide cutter if you need anything cut like stencils or anything.

3 weeks later
    #493 3 years ago

SPACEBALLS!!!

#494 3 years ago

Haha, I was just getting ready to post. BadBrick has inside info, lol. He came over last night and worked his ass off to help me get the cabinet back together.

Bear in mind this is all prototype stuff. I'm learning so much as I go through it.

A couple of weeks ago the cabinet was together and standing on it's own.

Test Fit of all the cabinet parts

After testing everything out, I took it all back apart for painting and cleanup.

Last night, BadBrick and I put the painted cabinet and backbox back together, including adding some graphics to the cab.

Getting Assembled, I do heart uranus.

This morning I added some more graphics on the face of the backbox.

Backbox Front Graphics

Here is a video we took last night of getting it fired up for the first time.

#495 3 years ago

Amazing! When I first saw the topic of your thread I was thrilled and thought that you are going to modify an existing machine... but building it from scratch... just WOW! Absolutely awesome!

#496 3 years ago

Looking amazing, Wolfmarsh!

#497 3 years ago

Yes, I love "May The Schwartz Be With You" on the backbox!

You're moving at Ludicrous Speed now!

ludicrous_speed_(resized).jpg

#498 3 years ago

Looking good! I love how everything is appropriately labeled "the prototype" or whatever.

Between this and H2G2, I don't know what I would want someone to build next!

2 weeks later
    #500 3 years ago

That is fantastic!!

I've been working more on the playfield. Cut my second playfield and have been getting it set up. This one was only cut with the mech holes and inserts I need to test positioning. There are many, many inserts not cut on this version of the playfield.

testpfincab.png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.95
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    € 8.40
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside