• Latest reply 11 years ago by RCA1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

motor.jpg
#1 11 years ago

OK - I have been really perfecting my Space Station, but have one lingering problem.
Occasionally, the space station spins clockwise, and I'm pretty sure it is only supposed to spin counter-clockwise. - just happens occasionally. This causes slight mis-alignments - interfering with docking a ball.
I've cleaned the optos, in fact, I replaced the whole opto board. I've tried all sorts of stuff.
I read somewhere that the problem could be the motor itself, and that there is an internal "dog" that gets worn and the motor can then spin the wrong way.

Before I spend $45 on this: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7941-2

Does that make any sense? Any other thoughts? Anybody open one of those motors and fix them?

#2 11 years ago

bump

#3 11 years ago

Sounds like your on the right track. I had one that did the same thing. Most likely you have a stripped or worn gear in the motor so it isn't braking. You can open up the motor and check, which is kind of a pain, and try and adjust it so it will brake.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

Anybody open one of those motors and fix them?

Yes! I had the exact same problem. Once you get the motor open it becomes fairly obvious what to do. I had some pictures of the fix, but my hard drive crashed a few years back and I lost them. Don't be afraid to open it up, it's not hard.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks. I'll do it. Maybe I'll get some pictures if I see what is going on. - I guess if I open it up and can't fix it, there is the $45 new motor option. I just didn't want to open it if the problem was elsewhere. I'll report back!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

and that there is an internal "dog" that gets worn and the motor can then spin the wrong way.

Haha, the internal 'dogbone' gets worn. AC motors can randomly start in either direction, so there's a little dogbone inside the motor that forces it to always go CCW, even if it initially starts CW. Just open it up, and you should be able to see the dogbone, and possibly reorient some of the worn parts to correct the problem.

If you're able to fix it, a short tutorial and some pictures would be great!

#7 11 years ago

Well - opened up the motor - found the gear on the main shaft of the motor to be really worn down where the dog engages. I tried to move the gear on the shaft up or down so it would have some fresh teeth to work with, but in doing so, the shaft must have bent a little, now there is a lot of friction. That little gear is too far gone, so I ordered the new motor. At least I finally figured out what was wrong! Probably hard to see in the picture, but the teeth in the center gear are really shot.

motor.jpgmotor.jpg

2 weeks later
#8 11 years ago

Just thought I'd wrap this up. A new motor solved the problem. I bought one from Marco Specialties, and it quit working after a few games. I called Marco - and they said they'd take it back, no problem. Kudo's for Marco - nice to do business with them. I ordered another from them, and it is doing great. So if your motor spins the wrong way - you can bet the motor is the issue. Now my Space Station ball diverter always lines up exactly the way it should, and it makes the game much more enjoyable.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for wrapping up the thread.
And good for Marco. Nice to hear they were good about the bad motor.
I'll be sure to find this thread if/when my Space Station starts turning the wrong way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-turns-wrong-way and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.