Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SPACE (resized).png
SpaceStation (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

In a classic case of the deaf leading the blind, I am trying to help a friend to fix his Space Station. The machine blows fuse F4 the second we switch it on. Referring to this post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-blows-fuse) we have tried to circle in the problem by removing J12 on the aux driver board. The result is that the fuse does not blow, and hence we think the problem is on the playfield.

Furthermore, we have tried to jump the wires to the various pins on J12 one by one, and the fuse blows on pin 6 which would indicate that there is a problem with solenoids 13, 17 18 and/or 20. We reinstalled J12, put in a new fuse, cut the ground wire to the solenoids in question - and this is what we came up with when we bridged the cut wire to the respective solenoid lug one by one:

Solenoid 13 (left re-entry kickback) does not do anything, nor does it trip the fuse
Solenoid 17 (right dock kickback) does not do anything, nor does it trip the fuse
Solenoid 18 (lower left slingshot) trips the fuse instantly.
Solenoid 20 (lower right slingshot) kicks when the wire touches. Not sure if it is supposed to do that?

Both slingshot coils test at around 10 ohms. The re-entry kickback tests at 5+ ohms whereas the right dock is 4 ohms.

We are not sure what to make of these results, so any input would be helpful. Where do we go from here?
SpaceStation (resized).pngSpaceStation (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

Is one of the coils locking on as soon as you power it on? If so, it is likely the Transistor for that set of coils.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Is one of the coils locking on as soon as you power it on? If so, it is likely the Transistor for that set of coils.

Thanks @viriiguy. From the post I referred to I concluded that since I disconnected J12 and the fuse did not blow that there had to be a problem somewhere on the playfield. Are you saying that this is not the case?

Furthermore, will a shorted transistor cause a fuse to blow instantly like this? I would think that the coil just locked on and burned. Or is this a separate problem?

I am trying to understand the schematics. From what I can tell, the F4 circuit goes through the A/C relay, but if this is shorted why does the fuse not blow instantly when J12 is disconnected?
SPACE (resized).pngSPACE (resized).png

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Solenoid 18 (lower left slingshot) trips the fuse instantly

You found the problem area right here.
Bad coil,bad diode or wires touching something metal.
This is where I would be concentrating right now.
Fix one problem at a time, incase it's a multiple issue type problem.
-Mike

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Thanks viriiguy. From the post I referred to I concluded that since I disconnected J12 and the fuse did not blow that there had to be a problem somewhere on the playfield. Are you saying that this is not the case?
Furthermore, will a shorted transistor cause a fuse to blow instantly like this? I would think that the coil just locked on and burned. Or is this a separate problem?
I am trying to understand the schematics. From what I can tell, the F4 circuit goes through the A/C relay, but if this is shorted why does the fuse not blow instantly when J12 is disconnected?
[quoted image]

I'm sorry, I somehow missed that detail when I glossed over it initially. No you are on the right track.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

but if this is shorted why does the fuse not blow instantly when J12 is disconnected?

That suggests the problem is not on that Auxiliary board.

I am with Grizlyrig on this. Check your transistor for Solenoid 18 (lower left slingshot) since it trips the fuse instantly.

Quoted from Grizlyrig:

You found the problem area right here.
Bad coil,bad diode or wires touching something metal.
This is where I would be concentrating right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-system-11-blows-fuse-f4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.