• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey all,

I'm a newbie so go easy...

I have an issue where the right slingshot coil gets stuck on right after power up and will not turn off unless I turn off the game. I was playing the game last week when the F7 fuse blew and the slingshots and pop bumpers didn't work and the flippers were weak. After taking the fuse out, it turns out that the wrong fuse was put in so I replaced with the correct one according to the manual (4A 250,slow-blow). After replacing and playing for about 10 minutes the right slingshot coil was stuck on and upon further investigation I found that the diode attached to that coil broke. I replaced the diode today and still having the same issue. Now I am totally confused as to where to start, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

#2 8 years ago

A locked on coil is more than likely the result of a dead transistor on your driver board. I dont have a space station manual. If you have the manual it will tell you which transistor is responsible for switching that coil.
With power off, use a multimeter from the outside legs to the centre and compare with the one next to it, if it shows a short circuit or is different from the working one it is faulty.

#3 8 years ago

Raysco is spot on. All the coils are controlled on and off by switching transistors that act exactly like solid state relays.

The one that drives the sling that is locked on will be shorted and so it is unable to "turn off". This is possibly the result of the diode on that coil being faulty as that would allow huge voltage spikes to travel back to the transistor and damage it. This is the reason it is VERY important that every coil has this "snubber" diode fitted.

Fuses are only there to stop the machine catching fire and burning your house down - they ARE NOT there to protect the machine.

As Raysco says, you should investigate the schematic and identify which transistor is the cuprit and measure it BEFORE replacing. Also confirm that you have installed the replacement diode on the coil the correct way around or you will have more problems.

It is also possible the coil has been cooked if it was latched on for more than a minute or so??? Make sure the plunger moves freely inside the coil sleeve.

Read and do your homework BEFORE diving in and grabbing the soldering iron as 30 minutes preparation will mean you should be able to effect the repair in five minutes.

#4 8 years ago

Thank you everyone for the replies! I will definitely do my homework and check the transistor.

#5 8 years ago

If you look at page 2 of the manual, the solenoid table shows you that the right sling is special solenoid #4. If you follow this to the right it also shows you that Q69 controls this coil. When a coil locks like this the Tip 122 is shorted, also the predriver and diode have been stressed and need to be replaced. If you left the power on to long the coil will need to be replaced also. When all of this has been repaired, there still maybe the original problem that caused the coil to lock in the first place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-stuck-on-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.