(Topic ID: 318090)

Space Station: “Right Dock” Kickback Coil Not Working

By Fatsquatch

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why the kickback coil for the right dock doesn’t fire (either during a game or in coil test mode).

My machine has a new Rottendog MPU (with new ribbon cables), new Xpin power board, and new Xpin auxiliary power board. There are no blown fuses on those boards, no burnt connectors, and tracing the wires from the right dock coil, I can find no visible damage.

I have reseated all connectors on the boards in the back box, reseated connectors on the wiring harnesses running to the playfield, and reseated the connectors under the playfield itself. The right dock’s coil has also been replaced with a new one.

Can anyone advise as to what I should do next?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Can anyone advise as to what I should do next?

Bad coil ? Thin wire from coil windings to coil lugs broken or cracked and hard to see ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Yesterday, I had replaced the old coil with a brand new one and the issue remained unchanged. It’s really frustrating.

I don’t know if the two issues are related or not, but the one other problem I have to sort out, is that none of the pop bumpers are functioning. They light up, but that’s it.

#4 1 year ago

Start with the basics, test for power at the non working coils. Most likely a fuse under the play field.

#5 1 year ago

If there’s no fuses blown (fuse will most likely be the case)

look at the power supply, test all voltages coming out of it, a rebuild always helps with system 11 games, bad voltages can cause all kinds of weird stuff

Check snubber boards under the playfield also, cold solder joints on the snubber boards and power supply will cause problems

#6 1 year ago

See my post in Space Station group as it includes schematics... I would start with the Aux Power Driver Board fuses and relays. Ohm the wires for continuity from board to coils.

7 months later
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I don’t know if the two issues are related or not, but the one other problem I have to sort out, is that none of the pop bumpers are functioning.

Well, it turns out that the two issues ARE related…

My non-firing pop bumpers and non-firing right dock lock are a result of a faulty Rottendog MPU that I newly purchased for this machine. (As verified by a tech that I had look at the machine.)

I guess I should have suspected as much when I noticed that the NVRAM wasn’t saving anything right out of the gate.

(Man, I wasted so much time barking up several wrong trees because of that dang board. ARGH…)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-right-dock-kickback-coil-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.