Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Neuweiler4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I took apart my space station to clean the playfield off and wax it. When I put everything back together, the turning space station diverter stopped lining up properly. This uses two opto switches to position but I can't figure out what is wrong seeing as I didn't touch the motor at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried cleaning them last night to hopefully try to get it to work but to no avail.

#2 12 years ago

Couple things you can do here. First make sure you put the Space Station assembly back together properly. If you have a manual you can refer to that. Also before putting the black plastic the ball rolls on back on, turn the game on and let it adjust the Space Station. Then put that plastic on, should then be in the correct position.

#3 12 years ago

Tried that but it didn't work. When I put the whole machine together there was a ahort between two circuits. What did they have in common? The Space Station board. I found one bad transistor and one of the switching diodes is letting current through both ways.

#4 12 years ago

There ya go. Hopefully it can be repaired. If not I think you can still find replacements

#5 12 years ago

ok...well that wasn't all the problem. The one switch is still causing a short when it is triggered. I will take a look tomorrow night at it to check it out.

#6 12 years ago

Is anybody here familiar with opto switches? I checked the circuit board and I didn't find any shorts at all. Could the opto switch be bad? How (if) can you test them to see if they are the problem. The problem I have only occurs when the second opto switch is triggered.

#7 12 years ago

Can you put it in a switch test and test that Opto by sliding a piece of paper or something in the opto? Also sometimes when optos get old they die slowly and may work intermittenly.

You could test to see if you got power going to the transmitter side of the opto if you can get to it. Of course it could be the reciever side that is bad.

I'm assuming this is a U shaped opto as I'm not familiar with this game. If all else fails you may have to change out the opto.

But I'm thinking that if it's causing a short when activated... then it's working.

#8 12 years ago

I can't test the opto to my knowledge unless the game is on. Currently, I have the playfield on my dining room table and I am going to check all the circuits and replace any necessary wires. There is too much butchered wiring on here (wrong colors) that I just need to check it all out. I think it will save time in the long run.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-opto-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.