(Topic ID: 323108)

Space Station opto board issues

By truemagoo102

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm having an issue with my Williams Space Station that I can not figure out. To put it into context, this only started happening immediately after taking the head off of it to move it.

Issue: In test (and in game) opto board doesn't recognize the rotating diverter.

Steps taken: I tested the opto board in switch test by putting a diode to the pins, both Station 1 and Station 2 checks correctly, so it can't be a MPU board issue. I assumed the optos on the opto board must be bad (or something on the board) so I ordered a new opto board.

However, even with the new opto board, I'm still having the same issue. How exactly does the opto board work with the rotating diverter? Is it just not getting power? I'm a little confused about what happened.

#2 1 year ago

I had the same problem, my problem turned out to be a cracked solder joint on the power supply header, the one that powered the opto circuit.
I noticed when I had diverter problems my drop targets wouldn't reset either.
Problem was very intermittent.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

I had the same problem, my problem turned out to be a cracked solder joint on the power supply header, the one that powered the opto circuit.
I noticed when I had diverter problems my drop targets wouldn't reset either.
Problem was very intermittent.

Awesome I'll check that out!

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

I'm having an issue with my Williams Space Station that I can not figure out. To put it into context, this only started happening immediately after taking the head off of it to move it.
Issue: In test (and in game) opto board doesn't recognize the rotating diverter.
Steps taken: I tested the opto board in switch test by putting a diode to the pins, both Station 1 and Station 2 checks correctly, so it can't be a MPU board issue. I assumed the optos on the opto board must be bad (or something on the board) so I ordered a new opto board.
However, even with the new opto board, I'm still having the same issue. How exactly does the opto board work with the rotating diverter? Is it just not getting power? I'm a little confused about what happened.

I would double check that the opto board is getting a solid 5V. I was having a similar problem on my Space Station but it was also affecting the drop targets (which also use optos). They are all on the same circuit. Good luck!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I would double check that the opto board is getting a solid 5V. I was having a similar problem on my Space Station but it was also affecting the drop targets (which also use optos). They are all on the same circuit. Good luck!

That's totally it! Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-opto-board-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.