Space Station: Need help with lighting

By Ghostnuke

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've got a Space Station with no GI or condition green lights on the entire left side. Right side works fine. I metered it at the socket and got nothing. Can anyone help me out with some idea of what to do?

#2 9 years ago

Check the four fuses on the right side of the power board. One of my GI sockets on the left side failed and shorted out the GI ckt on the left side. Make sure that when you check the fuses that you pull out one side from the socket.

I don't know what you mean by "condition green lights".

#3 9 years ago

Condition green is what happens when you get multi ball. The regular GI shuts off and a set of green lights come on.

#4 9 years ago

You've either got a blown fuse, or the edge connector which carries the GI lighting is burned or partially burned. Look around at all of the GI connectors for burned wires. You will need to replace the connector and probably also the header pins.

#5 9 years ago

You might also have a broken common wire somewhere in the lighting string. If the fuses are good and no connectors are burned, look carefully under the playfield at the sockets which are out and physically trace the wires in the string upstream, looking for a broken wire. It will usually have come off at a socket tab, leaving all subsequent lights downstream out.

#6 9 years ago

Good ideas. I'll check those fuses and the harness for continuity and report back.

#7 9 years ago

Well, I'm stumped. All the fuses checked good, and all wires have continuity back to the head as far as I can tell. Any other ideas?

#8 9 years ago

Check the relays under the left side of the play field , I'm having to replace one of mine, my whole left side was dark

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Check the relays under the left side of the play field , I'm having to replace one of mine, my whole left side was dark

I looked at them a bit. When I turn on the GI solenoid test, the one for the right side of the field clicks on and off but the left one does not. I swapped the relay boards around and the problem stayed the same. That should rule out a problem with the relay pcb, right?

#10 9 years ago

Hey I have a space station I am restoring for someont and it has the same issue. GI lighting on the right but not left. How do the connectors look that go to the power board? I checked mine and they are burned up and that might be the issue for mine. Have you looked at the connectors on the power board? Also don't rule out "Cold Solder Joints" on the male part of the boards. Where are you located? Perhaps we can collaborate by phone if you want. Send me a PM if interested.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Hey I have a Space Station I am restoring for someont and it has the same issue. GI lighting on the right but not left. How do the connectors look that go to the power board? I checked mine and they are burned up and that might be the issue for mine. Have you looked at the connectors on the power board? Also don't rule out "Cold Solder Joints" on the male part of the boards. Where are you located? Perhaps we can collaborate by phone if you want. Send me a PM if interested.

I have found some burnt connectors. My next step in the attack is to start at the power board and follow the voltage and see where it stops. I'll send you a PM though.

#12 9 years ago

I fixed it! I found a burnt connector on the relay board which led me to checking the backside of the board. Found a cold solder joint and Bob's your uncle.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Ghostnuke:

I fixed it! I found a burnt connector on the relay board which led me to checking the backside of the board. Found a cold solder joint and Bob's your uncle.

Great glad that it was what we thought. I hope to do the same fix on mine this weekend. Thanks for posting the resolution as it always helps for the next guy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-need-help-with-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.