(Topic ID: 156861)

Space Station: Multiple Balls in Right Dock Area?

By HeyItsMeDusty

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SSGateOff_(resized).jpg
SSGateIn_(resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a Space Station, which I have to say is an AMAZING pin. This question is regarding the very-difficult shot at the upper-right area of the playfield which places the ball directly in the right dock.

The upper-right dock-shot is a very unlikely shot that places the ball directly in the right docking area, bypassing the ball diverter. The issue I'm seeing is that I can't tell if there's supposed to be a way to eject or prevent a SECOND ball entering the dock via the dock-shot.

When the first ball enters the dock, the sensor tells the ball diverter to send balls to the left dock, and if there is already a ball there then it ejects the first one. What is supposed to happen when you have a ball already docked right, and then send another ball directly there via the dock-shot?

Thanks in advance!

#2 5 years ago

Congrats on the pickup! I brought one home from Expo a month ago and am loving it.

It took me a minute to figure out what you're asking: the upper right "dock" (VUK) is actually a pretty easy shot, whether direct from the left flipper or backhanded from the right. This kicks back to the upper pf but does not actually dock a ball.

The dock shot to the VUK behind the U-S-A lanes is also fairly easy. This kicks up to the station diverter for a lock.

Feeding a dock / lock from the lower-right / ramp / stop-and-score shot is much more difficult.

Either dock shot can feed either the right or left dock, depending on what has been accomplished and where the diverter is aligned. A dock shot only counts when the lane is lit so as you observed, if a ball is already docked and a subsequent shot is not valid or diverted for a lock, the docked ball is kicked out before the next arrives (this is why there are additional switches well ahead of the locks).

It sounds to me like you might be missing the one-way gate at the exit of the right dock (behind the ball-holding astronaut). This allows balls to leave the right dock, but not enter without going through the diverter. The dock is a pretty tight area so even without the gate, two balls won't fit there, so I imagine that a second ball would strike the first and ricochet out.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks circlez! The "shot" i'm describing is actually making it into the exit of the right dock. It sounds like that shouldn't actually be a shot, as it should be blocked by a one-way gate. Without that gate, two balls will definitely fit in that dock if you send one there via the exit.

I'll take a look to see if I can identify where the gate should be.

#4 5 years ago

Here's a couple pics I posted in the Club thread as I've worked on mine.

In the first, you can see the gate behind the astronaut.

In the second, you can see the gate removed (lying on the plastic) as I was cleaning the machine. It connects the yellow bell post left of the exit, to one of the plastic screws.

I forgot about that big curve in the dock exit so you're right, two balls could get stuck there... I can see how that would be a problem!

I hope that helps!

SSGateIn_(resized).jpg

SSGateOff_(resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

So I guess the next question is...does anyone know where I can get this part?? I can't seem to source it at my usual spots online. Are there any equivalent gates on other games that would work?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HeyItsMeDusty:

Are they a standard width? Would this work

They're not a standard width, that I know of, but man. $8 plus $5 shipping for something like that is highway robbery if you ask me. If you're looking for a specific part, it might be worth your while to put up a "wanted" ad in the marketplace. Someone is bound to have an extra something like that laying around.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

They're not a standard width, that I know of, but man. $8 plus $5 shipping for something like that is highway robbery if you ask me. If you're looking for a specific part, it might be worth your while to put up a "wanted" ad in the marketplace. Someone is bound to have an extra something like that laying around.

In my experience those gates are no longer made, therefore the price seems better than what I've seen. Might be time to go to the hardware store and grab some stiff wire and make one, that's if you have the upper receiver

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside