Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mc300baud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Greetings: I will try to explain this adequately as I know what I want to say, but how to express it is sometimes an issue.

On my Space Station, it should be easy to lock two balls initially. I would say at least half the time, the first ball will lock, and then the station diverter will funnel the next locked ball down to the previously locked ball instead of to the other lock. It doesn't matter if the game starts out with the ball locking to the left or right lock first, this sending the ball to the "incorrect" place occurs.

I have tried cleaning the optic sensors on the optic board, and I have replaced the board. It still has this behavior. Some days I play it, and it correctly locks all games. I could understand this if this were for the third or fourth multi-ball for the game, but when it does this, it does the from the game start.

Another issue concerned extra balls earned for scores. I have since abandoned doing this on all machines, but when I tried it here, it acted strangely. If I set extra ball rewards for four score levels, each time I reached one level, it would give me four extra balls instead of just one. I've have had and still have other Williams machines, and they don't do this - they give one extra ball for each score level reached.

I'm not so concerned about the extra ball award issue since I have decided not to do that anymore on any machine, but maybe it's indicative of other issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 3 years ago

I know you said you cleaned the optos and replaced the board, but is the station itself lining up properly? Not sitting in between ramps occasionally? Does it stop or just keep rotating after each ball?

#3 3 years ago

Sometimes the station reverses itself, and sometimes it goes all the way around to where it was. I don't think I have ever seen it stop between the ramps.

Is it supposed to change positions after each ball? I believe the only time it changes position is when a ball hits the switch, and the station moves to a new position (or all the way around to where it was) before the ball lift shoots the ball up to the station.

The crazy thing is some days it works correctly all the time, and then other days funnels the ball down to where the other one is already locked. Then on the last ball, sometimes it starts to work correctly. I would almost think that this would be normal behavior except that it doesn't do it consitently.

Side note: as this was my first post, I couldn't quite figure out how to reply (sad but true!), and in the process, the vote up/ down thing came up. I apologize if somehow I voted you down!

#4 3 years ago

Well the station shouldn't be going in reverse. Generally that means the motor needs replaced, however that probably isn't the complete solution to your issue, but I would definitely look into that.

I believe as long as the station is aligned, the station should just lock the first ball without moving. It will sit in the same place after it dumps the first ball, then when you lock the 2nd ball it should move into the 2nd position. (I don't know 100% if it depends on which entrance you come into or if it cares which side locks first).

There is an owners thread here with lots of things over the years ppl have ran into and fixed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/65#post-6075828

You might try asking there as well.

#5 3 years ago

Thank you - I appreciate your help... the motor definitely "backs up" some times.

#6 3 years ago

often odd behavior with the station is related to a bad 15-pin connector [3J6] on the power supply board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-lock-balls-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.