20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Space Station -- one of the best System 11s ever made...

Well-executed theme.
Cool call outs: "Looking good!" "You must re-dock!"
Great sound effects.
Amazing soundtrack by Chris Granner.
Nice backglass.
Great light show.
Nice open playfield which penalizes you infrequently for missed shots. First-timers REALLY like this machine.
Last pin made without inlanes -- which is a nice gimmick.
Good 3-ball multi-ball with great effects and a clear multi-ball jackpot shot. I really like how you can get a few good detaining shots middle and right to clear up the playfield to make the upper left orbit.
GREEN MODE! (you'd better LED this up!)

I started up a Space Station Club so that other proud Space Station owners can share the over-the-top love for the machine as well as: repair help, restoration tips, part requests, requesting wiring photos, topper ideas, best LED usage, color matching tips, and upgrade ideas...

RESOURCES/IDEAS:
http://spacestation.santoro.com/
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/spacestation/repair/repair.html
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vacuum-formed-my-own-space-station
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miniature-space-station-lit-up
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-station-1987-bad-mylar-playfieldscan

[x] add to your favorites (do this now!)

-mof

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

I have a question about my Space Station flashers.

I see five of them in the top right. Only the 2nd one from the left lights up. I checked all the bulbs.

Can someone take a short 30 second vid of what they see during coil/flasher tests or lamp tests to show me what they see? Do you get all four? At what times?

thanks!
-mof

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

The flashers on the back wall (3 orange and two red) are not all flashers. This really confused me, but on both machines I've gone through, all the orange bulbs were either burned out or the wrong bulb type. The orange ones are #1251 bulbs and stay on during gameplay. The red ones are #89 and are normal flashers.

Interesting... can other Space Station owners take a look into this?

1) I have 5 orange lamp covers in the top right of the upper playfield.
2) under the all lamp test, and single lamp test, none come on. under coil/flasher, I can get the second (I think) of 5 to flash.

-mof

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

This isn't my machine, but it shows the orange lights on during gameplay.
» YouTube video

Thank you. That's brutal to find out mine has 5 orange covers there. I have a very clean example with no mods that I am aware of, also -- I can't imagine any balls hitting up there, so it makes me wonder if some games shipped with 5 orange up top? Either way -- I'd sure like to see that lighting behavior.

I would be interested to know what behavior you get in lamp tests, so I can try and mimic that.

-mof

1 month later
#22 10 years ago

Lighting!

I think I made the backbox look 2x better. Left 44s in the "space station area up top", the 6-7 ring bulbs, and the Williams and the Shuttle Flame. Went cold frosted on all the other spots. Now you have cold and warm fighting in the backglass, and it gives the art more depth.

I've changed out the bulbs on the lower PF from 44's to frosted-cold, and I think it looks great. I've swapped out all the original flaking painted greens to I'd like to change out the bulbs on the upper PF that is obstructed by ramps, habitrails, and the station etc.

I already tried blue frosted in all the lower, like in my Space Shuttle, and it doesn't work AT ALL. The plastic is not translucent enough for blue, like in Space Shuttle.

Are there any shortcuts at all?
Any recommendations on removing these things?

-mof

#26 10 years ago

Lighting!

Green mode. I think it's WAYYY too dark to see the ball. Wondering what we can use under the slings to get maximum light, but keep it green...

What have you tried?
-mof

#28 10 years ago

Finishing my light swap out to cold white LEDs. Can't figure out how to get this top level plastic out. Seems like the two black plastic bracers are threaded to the machine screw, which seems to be extra long and go down into the playfield, but they both wobble a little. Looking for advice before using force.

(I solved it...) I used locking pliers to grasp the top of the long screw, and screw it into the plastic. Total hack. I am going to leave it "loose" since this plastic never gets hit by a ball, and the looseness of the screws doesn't impact how upright the plastic sits there.

thanks!
-mof

201309_space-station-plastic.jpg201309_space-station-plastic.jpg

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

If you do that then you can't do this...
Here is a teaser picture. I should have it done in a couple of more days.
There are 18 LEDs in the circumference and a red flashing LED in the center.
I'll post as a new forum topic.

OH NO YOU DI-'INT !!!
Frickin' cool.
They said it couldn't be done!!!
-mof

2 months later
3 weeks later
#96 10 years ago

Question: what should the end of the ball-save on the left outlane look like? I'm worried mine might have a malformed tip.

-mof

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

I also made a ramp protector for the right side out of stainless steel. I first made a cardboard template and copied it to SS.
Dennis

Ramp.jpg 80 KB

Very awesome mod!
-mof

2 weeks later
#116 10 years ago

My right ramp is cracked. I've never done a ramp repair. Has anyone fortified theirs? I bought a $20 plastic kit from some moto-x shop a few months ago. It's time to give it a shot...

Any tips?

-mof

1 week later
#126 10 years ago

BO talks about Space Station @ 34:00... explains why there are no inlanes...

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_35.mp3

But, he mentions TWO kickers to return the ball back into play -- I only have one on the left -- did anyone ever see one with a kicker on the right side?

I would have thought there's no room for one on the right since the ball-return is behind the apron there...

-mof

#128 10 years ago

Question:

Has anyone tweaked their Upper Left Orbit shot into the saucer to work better?
Is there some rule that makes it not hold the ball until something is accomplished?
I feel like I have about a 2 in 5 chance of it sticking when I make the shot.

thanks!
-mof

#129 10 years ago

Question:
What re-lights the re-entry ball-save on left?
thanks!
-mof

1 month later
#137 10 years ago

Has anyone ever figure out why the upper left orbit shot to the saucer only grabs the ball 50% of the time?
At least that's how it is on my machine.
-mof

1 month later
#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Ghostnuke:

I got a Space Station this week! The only problem I've noticed is that the right half of the backbox does not light up. Where should I be looking?

1. Open a tech thread on this in the tech forum.
2. Use google to find other threads on this
here's one for example:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-bullet-proofing-thread
it suggests you reflow the pins in the relay.
-mof

1 month later
#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Ok, Im sobered up from my fall with the bull, too bad it wasn't alcohol....
and I got parts in!

Totally rad.
-mof

1 month later
#210 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Someone buy and use this populated playfield on Ann Arbor CL before he turns it into a coffee table...........
annarbor.craigslist.org link
Actually he's had this listed on and off for quite a long time now. Looks like pretty much everything is there.

wtf is going on there... the cab looks great too.
-mof

2 months later
#293 9 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement part for the ball-save kicker. The plastic on mine is munched up -- and I'd like to find a replacement.

thanks!
-mof

1 month later
#343 9 years ago
Quoted from Daddy-o:

So taking advantage of a slow raining day. Thought I would pop the hood on the two lights I cant seem to get going. I checked both boards with my DMM and neither is getting any power. Not sure if it is related but I don't remember the dot on the score display. Any ideas on fixin' the 2 lites?

I would trace it PF --> back...

1. Isolate bulb:
Duh. (you did this)

2. Isolate socket:
Compare power readings to other similar sockets... (you did this)

3. Isolate wire and connector:
Whip out the specs, and rig a setup (perhaps use a male pin joined to a wire, joined to a 1-pin connector) so you can carefully move power from a pin that works on the boards to a pin on the connector that lights up your bulb using a different lamp-light-send from the boards.

4. Isolate board component
At this stage it's very game dependent, and you'll need to figure out what components on the board are driving the bulbs, and see if it's a single component for that bulb, or if it's an IC that controls a whole group of bulbs (usually those fail in groups as well)

-mof

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

orange sticker on it.

Reflective orange sticker looks AWESOME.
-mof

#348 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

I just added a 7 segment LED strip from cometpinball.com

Need more pics, hard to see how you did this.
thanks,
mof

#366 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

OK, Paul. I went to Target and bought a roll of Duck brand Prism tape. It is very thin which is great. It appears to be mylar based so it should work good. Here are a few pictures. I had some plastic tape in red, white, and blue. I put this on top of the drop targets.

Brilliant!
-mof

1 month later
#408 9 years ago

It would be great if you matched the BLUE that Freeplay40 used in his right ramp in Space Station.
-mof

2 months later
#460 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Fellas: Looking to get another system 11. Had a taxi before and loved it. Sold it bc I wanted a nicer one some day. Am looking at a restored one right now.
However, I've had a few games on Space Station as well and liked it. Can you all give me a listing of things to look for when purchasing one?
Also, pricing? Thanks!@

Cracked ramp on right - freeplay40 has the blue repros.
-mof

#463 9 years ago

Did you mean SS or Scared Stiff?

-mof

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Solved, changed the spring from my F14 to SS and it works now. Still seems clunky but at least it works.

Yeah, you want this spring to be very strong, that way you can take a "casual, not thinking about it" pull and the ball just makes it up there.

I had already tried with a weaker spring to "save wear and tear" on the plastics up there, and realized it's not fun to thoughtfully do a full plunge EVERY time.

-mof

1 week later
#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Zag:

I have bought a couple of these (fully articulating) guys with a view to attach to the top (with wire coat hangers, bent and painted to resemble the tethers), looking like they are space walking...

Img_0798crop.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Img_0799crop2.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Brilliant. Any leads on where to find the figurines?
-mof

#520 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Holy crap, those look awesome!!

Quoted from Zag:

I cannot decide if they look ok or just naff!!

Very not naff.
-mof

#537 8 years ago

Now we just need something like inside-cabinet side decals with reflective sparkly dust for stars...
-mof

1 month later
#559 8 years ago

What a great game, I keep putting up 5.5million (with 2 free balls at 2.5 and 5), and can't seem to get a good green mode going for more than 10-20 seconds.

Today I noticed something. The rubber on the upper left retun lane sticks out enough, that it isn't perfectly smooth on the rare ball roll-back from a hard denied 1-2-3 shot.

Any one else have their rubber sticking this far out? Perhaps the fix is to move the metal curve out a little to match the rubber?

-mof

20150605_SSN-rubber.jpg20150605_SSN-rubber.jpg

9 months later
#989 8 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

This is my 3d printed space station, which I hope to light up when I have nothing to do. DSC05441_(resized).JPG
Note the blue and yellow lights above and below the mini playfield. I did not like the bare colored LED's so I added condoms to them and they look much better. I did green ones on some of the more visible GI green bulbs also.
Also this is my my space guy directing the switch wire below deck. I think MOF did this originally.
DSC05429_(resized).JPG
I need a tripod for photos

Thanks for the props, but it wasn't me bro!
=)
-mof

4 months later
#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from ronsplooter:

Next video is up on my Youtube channel

Thanks for posting, always fun to watch...
-mof

1 month later
#1287 7 years ago
Quoted from ronsplooter:

time to play some games on it

Same issue on mine -- I presume it's the wrong bulb type for me, too lazy to check...
-mof

1 month later
#1349 7 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Heres the yellow posts

Creative idea, I dig it. Would like to see more pics, some with room lighting off too...
-mof

1 month later
#1423 7 years ago

Please open a new thread to discuss acronyms.
-mof

#1427 7 years ago

vid's guide has a page showing the ideal Pinball Life order for it.
-mof

#1431 7 years ago

It's hijack Tuesday in this thread.

Performance -- and it's subtle, not everyone will be looking for it. I will.

My favorite reason to switch spring types is to improve performance.

When I'm serious about my game, I always want to get my flipper to "resting position" asap during a slap save attempt. I want as many flips as possible. It's far more responsive with a tight spring pulling, than with a loose old spring pushing.

If changing springs means I can get in in 3 flips instead of 2 as the ball goes nearly SDTM, I'll pay any price to get that extra flip. Not everyone cares about performance the same way.

-mof

1 year later
#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

fold the head forward

Is that the secret to getting to those bulbs???

1 week later
1 year later
#2983 3 years ago

ISS docked with SpaceX's Dragon today... I hope somebody played their Space Station today !!!
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.