20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2508 5 years ago

Hi guys,

Just recieved my space station last week and I'm loving it. It came with some issues though.

Pro's
- Nice playfield, got mylar, almost none insert lift
- Good electronics
- Good display
- Decent cabinet
- Reasonable price

Cons
- Mini playfield could be better and is cracked on the right side
- Ramp entrance cracked
- Reset issues
- Head is chipped at one corner

Power supply has been rebuilt last weekend and new version roms are installed. It's working like a charm again. I added leds and I must say that this machine just loves the leds, what a great difference.

Now I'm in the proces of added trough lighting:

sstrough (resized).JPGsstrough (resized).JPG
#2509 5 years ago

Trough lighting is great but when condition green is active the blue pops out and just is annoying. Therefor I engineered a little solution where in the case of condition green the trough lighting will lightup green as well.
In my "lab-environment" it looks like so:

sstroughblue (resized).JPGsstroughblue (resized).JPGsstroughgreen (resized).JPGsstroughgreen (resized).JPG
#2513 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Is the left flipper lightning and the right correct or is that a trick of the light?

Very sharp eye sir. The left flipper is indeed the wrong "lightning" version. Right is the correct one. I will replace for new flippers in a short while along with all new starposts, silicone bands and a complete flipper assembly rebuild.

#2514 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That’s great! Have any tutorial on how you accomplished this?

It's actually very easy. Just buy 2 24Volts print relay like this one: https://www.conrad.nl/p/fujitsu-ftr-b3-ca-24v-printrelais-24-vdc-2-a-2x-wisselcontact-1-stuks-504392

Buy a rgb controller from like ali-express for 50 cents. Fix yourself up with a led rgb strip (60 leds / meter). Connect the NC side (normal connect) of the relais switch from the rgb controller to the led strip so that in normal mode the strip is feeded by the controller. The NO (normal open) side of the relais for the green wire of the led strip must be connected to ground of the +12 volts.

Now comes the hard part:

Connect the +12V to the rgb controller (and the ground to the relais as mentioned before). I get 12 volts from the drop down target bank which gives the bonus multiplier.
Connect the relais to the condition green relais to the if the condition green relais gets energized your relais gets energized as well.

I will post some pics to make it somewhat more visual.

#2517 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

There is an easier way to do this. Use a USB LED RGB strip. Connect the blue lead to the normal GI lamp string and then connect the green lead to the condition green GI lamp string. There is no need to use relays for switching. You will also need 3 general purpose diodes which most of us have if we are doing repairs to our machines, like any 1n400x diode. You place a diode on each led wire lead. The band will face the leds on the blue and the green leads, and the band will face away from the leds on the black lead. And if you want purple instead of blue then connect both of the blue and red leads together before connecting the diode.
ebay.com link » Usb Powered Rgb Color Change 5050 Led Strips Computer Tv Pc Back Light Kit Dc 5v
This will cost less than 3.00 dollars total.

I wasn't aware that there are 5V usb strips, will most definately investigate this.
Your approach has two flaws though:

1. you cannot regulate the color of the lighting in the normal state as to my approach enables the user to select the color using the rgb ontroller. The solid blue isn't the best color in my opinion, I set it to somewhat "baby blue"
This point was one of my main concerns in my design.

2. with a diode in series to the GI you will see that the lighting will flicker. You need to add a capacitor to stop the flickering.

#2523 5 years ago

Another mod I will make is the illuminated flipper buttons. Normaly I tie the leds into the GI string of the coindoor because that's the closest but in this case I will mount 2 leds per side, a green one which will be tied the condition green GI and the other will be blue, red or white (must experiment with that) which will be tied into the normal GI string.

3 weeks later
#2578 5 years ago
Quoted from twenty6point2:

Thanks for the reply mymalibu! Finally got most of the playfield depopulated on my game and removed the mylar. Inserts are really raised and the mylar was peeling up in the pops. Hopefully I haven't bit off more than I can chew , the game was playable before I started
I am thinking:
-Remove the mylar glue and clean
-Level the inserts and re-decal
-fill minor dings and a screw hole
-minor touch-up on the paint
-wax and new mylar
-repopulate and LED
[quoted image]

Well, that will never last. You need to protect your work with clearcoat else your decals and touchups will be gone before you know it. Even worse, now you removed the mylar your playfield wear will be imminent.

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Pinsider NoTrashCouger printed a station for me. I didn't color the USA on mine. I don't know if he still does them.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Great design!

2 weeks later
#2605 5 years ago

Some lazy day fiddling around. Added flipper button lighting. Blue for normal mode and green (obviously) for condition green. Tied it to both GI strings and came out looking nifty and sharp.

SS-blue (resized).jpgSS-blue (resized).jpgSS-green (resized).jpgSS-green (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2638 5 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

nt do anything half way.... evenything looked clean and was friction free... so i never changed the plunger... i changed pretty much everything else. But once i changed the plunger i can just make it up that

Great,

Not only the gap is important (well, it's related), but the timing of opening. If the EOS is opening too early the flipper also looses power. I see that the gap of your EOS is pretty big. Maybe you can gain some extra oompf there?

1 month later
#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Does anyone have a list of how many and type of LEDs you would need to do the whole game?
I'm planning to do mine and if no-one has a list I'll put one up when I'm done

Just count them, open up your pf and count. Color coordinate the insert lights.
Mine uses milky dome warm white for the GI and milky dome green for the condition green. I think it's really hard to make a list of all the leds with its color, wedge or bulb, and all other specs. I regularly exchange the leds until i'm satisfied.

3 months later
#2825 4 years ago

Do not mistake the top field "flashers". There are 2 flashers and 3 "bulbs". Those 3 bulbs look like flashers but aren't!! These are #1251 type bulbs and have a higher resistance as the normal #89 flashers.

The 2 "coils" which are being energized: replace the corresponding TIP102 and leading transistor. If that doesn't fix the issue the leading IC (most probable a 7408) must be replaced but i've never seen that. The TIP102 will be the first suspect.

Testing a PIA is actually done by the program on boot up. Appearantly your CPU cannot communicate with U10 correctly. I would start swapping the PIA as this component is not that expensive. You can also test your pia's with Leon's test rom (search for it). But my best guess is that a trace is bad due to acid damage, judged only on your entry.

Your sound issue is most probably caused by that U10 as that one is controlling your sound output and some of your solenoids.

Hmmmm, typing my reply and reading back through your post made me realize that U10 is bad. Replace it and maybe your issue is fixed but you need to test all traces going to U10. (See schematics)

#2826 4 years ago

you can always check for "missing roms" by checking IPDB and downloading the rom files.

sssssss (resized).JPGsssssss (resized).JPG
#2827 4 years ago

About the sounds: what happens if you disconnect the flatcable from the soundboard? Do you still hear the same amount of sounds / callouts? From the top of my head: the background music is handled by the external soundboard.

#2829 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Thanks for this!
So an update: I replaced Q10 and Q14, as well as U17—and sure enough, the issues that I'd had with the left outhole kicker, and space station, solenoids locking on is gone (woo!)
However, I'm still getting the random "U10 PIA error" upon startup; a reboot will make it go away. I also still don't get speech.
The game plays fine, for the most part (sluggish pop bumpers, a couple switches need to be cleaned/adjusted). When trying to search out the issue, I came across this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/u10-pia-failure-where-to-find-and-replacement-repair-advice
Seems to me like this might have caused the issue frying the U17 IC?
HarrieD, which connection are you referring to when you say the "flatcable from the soundboard"? I posted a photo a few posts back where I show that there's nothing in U19, but someone responded to that saying that they also don't have anything there, and theirs works fine.

I meant: what happens when you disconnect j4 from the soundboard?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only?tu=harried and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.