20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TicTacSeth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1403 7 years ago

Hi all,

Joining the club! I'm new to this, and Space Shuttle is now my first pin. It's a fixer, but got it for $500. (Hopefully it's a deal). Almost playable, left flipper is super weak, but read a lot about getting a rebuild or upgrade kit or something.

I will be hitting you all up a lot, I know nothing about coils, EOS or anything else yet, but I'm a tinkerer. So far I can't figure out why the lights under the left scoring bumper (by the left flipper) don't turn on, both whites and greens, and greens up the rest of the left side don't turn on either. Everything is fine on the right side.

Nice to meet you all, and excited to find such a large community with the same machine!

Seth

#1407 7 years ago

Haha, dang, first post and I wrote the name wrong. #noob

I did in fact mean Space Station

#1425 7 years ago

Hey, I read about updating flippers on Sys 11s. I see two different rebuild kits on Marcos. How do I know which one it is?

Seth

#1428 7 years ago

Vids guide, I'll find it and check it out! Thanks guys!

#1436 7 years ago

Hey, new question about fuses. I'm still getting familiar with this machine, and I'm seeing about 5 fuses that are not as specified in the manual. There are 3 that should be 2A and 2 that should be 4A, and this machine has 5A everywhere.

So question, will that matter? Or could there be a reason it's a higher amperage?

#1438 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Replace ALL the fuses with the manual specified values. Whoever did that was just lazy and he's lucky he didn't burn the game down.

That's what I thought, will do!

#1441 7 years ago

Hey, I know what the optics is, but what exactly am I cleaning on there?

1 week later
#1445 7 years ago

Hi all, I need some help. 2 things:

Reading some repair guides, I tracked down a burned wire, my question is, where do I find this part? I jumped on Marcos, but I don't see the 9 pin female end of this connector. I hope this is why my GI on the left side has no juice. So, looking for this part. (I know, total noob question)

Also, I just upgraded my flippers, cleaned everything inside and put it all back together, but now my pop bumpers aren't popping. I just switched out a ton of fuses as for some reason they put 5's everywhere, so swapped out with what the manual showed. And they all look good still. Where else should I look?

Thanks all!

IMG_0131 (resized).JPGIMG_0131 (resized).JPG

#1447 7 years ago

Thanks 300, I'll check that out.

Crazy thing, I just figured out the pop bumper problem. I found something online about system 11 repair, and the fuses listed for the board were different than what's in the manual. For F3 & F4 online it said 2.5A fuses, and the manual says 2A. So I found another 2.5A fuse and swapped it out, back in action! Now I just need to replace that contact.

#1449 7 years ago

Day 2 of a fully operational machine. What a couple of days. Last night after playing my first few rounds with my boy on this machine (cleaned it up, new ramp, new flippers, etc.) I was finishing with some final table fixes when I turn it on and have the Adjust Switch notice pop up for the first time on switches 46, 50 and 52. So I think, "let me clean up and I'll get to it in the morning. I pick up the glass to move it to a safer location in case my kids go to that room, and as I'm carrying it ... it exploded... in my hands ... right before my eyes.

Thank goodness for shop vacs, but also, WTF? Did that just happen? So cleaning is how I spent my morning instead.

I come back tonight to give the Switch Adjust errors a go, when I realize ... no more error? So I play a round. What a round it was, my first high score at around 5 million! Time to enter my initials for the first time in my first ever pin ... and I can't figure out how ...

To top it all off ... the Adjust Switch error when you flip it on is back.

Sooo, roller coaster happening, but question: how are high score initials supposed to be entered? (I'll research the switch problem later lol)

IMG_0150 (resized).JPGIMG_0150 (resized).JPG

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Dang! What an emotional rollercoaster !
Initials are changed with flipper buttons, pressing the start button enters them in one at a time

Ha, I was afraid of that. Flipper buttons did nothing at all. I went just over the point total for the last place point score to try it again, flippers didn't work, but the start button did advance to the next character, all still blank. So something else I need to figure out.

Also, when I got the machine, I could swear it was set up (when I tried it before buying) so when you hit the flippers it would rotate the 1-2-3 so you could move the open spot, which would help get that bonus. Added something fun to the game. Anyone know what setting that is?

#1454 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I hope you weren't cut. I haven't had a sheet break....unless I broke it on purpose.

Surprisingly only two small cuts, wasn't too bad. I might have had a minor case of shock though, my brain couldn't reconcile how that was possible, haha! I actually did a google search and saw this happened to someone else here at pinside, so at least I'm not alone in this phenomenon.

#1455 7 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Wow! That's crazy. 10 years ago a friend of mine took a sheet outside and did a video of him trying to break the glass. Hit it with a hammer or something , it finally broke, but took a lot of hitting. Not as fragile as I thought. Yours must have had a chip or something that started it shattering. Glad your ok, and IT WAS NOT IN THE GAME ! Imagine the clean up that would present.
JP

Amen to that, would be impossible to get out of everything. The glass looked like it was probably original, not in the best of shape. A lot of scratches on it. Time to open the wallet again haha!

#1458 7 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Seth, If I remember right, you just did a flipper rebuild on this game. I think both flippers have lane change switches on them as well as the EOS switches. Maybe a wire came off one of them, or some adjusting is needed. They are normally open until you hit the flipper, then close. They are just the opposite of the EOS in that respect. They would affect your lane changing and your high score initials too.

Just checked them out, looks like my gap is fine, and I cleaned them. I might be wire hunting....

#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The high score initial select function is through the lane change switches, which are "piggybacked" onto the main flipper switches, not the flipper switches themselves.
Do the lane change switches work in game play? They should change the lit 1,2, and 3 roll through lanes on the upper mini playfield when the flipper buttons are pushed.

Negative, they aren't working in game play. They did when I first got it though, so I must have done something during the flipper rebuild.

Also, I bought this machine with the whole left side GI not working. I identified the IDC burned on it, but dang, I didn't know there was a punch tool I should have purchased with the new connectors. I don't want to pay shipping again from PL! Haha

#1463 7 years ago

Nice, I only really need the single pop bumper plastic. That one is missing on mine.

Actually, I want to ask a question about the red cap for that from bumper. Is it supposed to be chopped like this for the ramp to come through?

IMG_0165 (resized).JPGIMG_0165 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1472 7 years ago

Nice, I like the white under the space station, and I actually like the yellow lighting on the blue upper playfield too.

I have a question on the blue ramp for those that have it. At the bottom of the ramp, there's enough space between the left post and the drop target in front of the ramp for the ball to sneak through. The target doesn't drop when it gets behind there, so the ball just gets stuck and I have to remove the glass or full tilt the machine to get it out. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fatter post pad I should consider getting to close that gap?

#1476 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That happens quite a bit, I just have to nudge mine to get it free. Is your game level, what's your pf angle setting?

I'm at a 6-degree angle on the table, and there's not enough room for it to pass through on the right. I'll take a look and see if I can adjust over, I already pushed the ramp as far as it can go.

1 week later
#1494 7 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

The 15 pin plug sure fixed mine up. It also looked fine, but those darn IDC plugs commonly fail where the wire is pushed into the plug. The board pins and the plug can look great and really be biting. That doesn't matter when the bad connection is at the wire where it is pushed into the plug. Can't guarantee that is it in your case, but I would suggest re-pinning it. It's been 2-3 months man.

So mine is the same way, stops in random places, and I cleaned the optos. Which 15 pin should I be checking?

#1510 7 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

You wires appear to all be there and in the right locations. But until you cut that IDC connector off and put a good crimp connector on like I have done to repair this same problem with my Space Station, my hands are tied here and I cannot help. Good luck with the repair.

So here's a question from a rookie, since all the pins aren't used on this IDC connector, does it have to be a 15 pin connector/IDC that goes in there? (I have a spare IDC that has 13 spots on it that I would try out if it's all the same.)

1 month later
#1624 7 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Dozer: I did! Game is 100% now. It's actually weird to play it fully functional finally.

How did you fix your issue? My lane diverter still doesn't get its placement right about half of the time.

I'm also interested in this if you decide to make more of those stations!

#1628 7 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

The issue was that I had a bad connection along one of the 12V wires that end at the opto board. If you follow back the wires at least one of them also goes to the 3-drop target assembly. The drop target was recieving power, but the bad connection did not allow power to continue to the opto board. I replaced the 3-drop target connector, and made a new clean connection to the opto.
if you need help troubleshooting I could give you pics and info on what the connections should be reading voltage wise with pics on where they should lead to. The manual is really unclear on those details.

That would help, this is my first pin so totally learning as I go.

#1630 7 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

cool I'll take some pics and note on monday when I get back into the office. do you have a multimeter?

Buying one next week is on my list of things to do, my other one recently got pulverized in some house renovation. Ha!

1 month later
#1641 6 years ago

Watched a little Big Daddy, look what I saw in the background of the apartment:

IMG_0858 (resized).JPGIMG_0858 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1646 6 years ago

Has anyone here put mirror blades in their space station cabinet? I'm thinking about it, but I heard the Williams ones don't necessarily fit the Sustem 11s, so seeing if anyone has experience with what to look ok at.

7 months later
#2041 6 years ago

Hey guys, need some help. I’m replacing the IDC connector that runs the lights behind the back glass. I clipped the wires, but two of them are so burned I can’t tell which order they are in. Can someone take a pic for me? It’s the board on the inside left wall of the back box, the 4 pin IDC on the top left.

#2043 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

They are wired straight through so as long as both 4 pins connectors at the top match, it'd work.
Mine are:
1 brown
2 white brown
3 green
4 white green

Awesome, thanks! The white brown looked just like the brown with how it burned haha. Thanks!

#2044 6 years ago

I’m back in action, thanks ajfclark!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2046 6 years ago

Good question, I really don’t think I do? I’m still new to this, just crossed the 1 year mark of owning pins, specifically my space Station pin haha! I’m still learning. I have some 3 annoying switch errors I can’t figure out, and can’t get my lane change switches working.

#2048 6 years ago

On start up I get adjust switch for 50. 52 and 53. Started since putting in the new blue ramp.

As for the lane change switches, no idea what’s wrong there. They worked when I was looking at buying it, didn’t work when I got it home. High scores are all blank names sadly because of that.

#2051 6 years ago

Ok, looking at it now, wire is there. Repeating meaning reflow solder? Or just pull it and put it back?

I don’t have a diode, but I did just purchase a DMM. Should I go right to that step? Also, I just bought the DMM last week, I need to learn how to check continuity

#2054 6 years ago

Ok, so I’ve checked continuity for each segment starting from the back box. It checked out, then checked from the back box to the idc at the optos board, and heard the sweet sound of continuity there too. (I guess I should have started with that. Ha!)

Not sure if this is odd , but before putting the space station section back on, I turned on the machine and the switch errors didn’t immediately pop up, though the credit dot was still there. Checked this multiple times. So tried to play it to see if Lane changes would work, but they still didn’t. So put the space station lanes and toy back on, then sure enough when I turned it on again the switch errors were back.

So back to continuity, does this mean it’s a board problem?

#2057 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

The opto board is at the very far end of the cable from the backbox. I would expect the lane change switches and everything else to register regardless of what the opto board was up to.
The game will run without the opto board connected, if you unplug 6 pin connector underneath the playfield at the back right. the game will power on fine - the space station will spin a little longer than usual until it figures out the board isn't there.
Actually, that's a good question, how long does your space station spin for at power up? 1-2 seconds or a good deal longer than that? I'd guess longer, because that's what it does when the space station opto switches aren't closing.
I'm starting to think it's an MPU problem though (Q42 and friends) and perhaps it might be better to get someone like grumpy to take a look?

Yeah, I definitely know the Opto is an issue. But it’s on the same column right? The space station spends quite a bit and it doesn’t always line up correctly. I have already replaced the motor , And that only fixed the fact that I would try to turn the opposite way for a split second before turning the correct way. So I guess I have an extra motor, that might still be good. But I think the Opto board shouldn’t affect the lane change switches and others correct?

#2059 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Correct, the opto board shouldn't affect the other switches. The station spins and doesn't line up because the optos aren't reporting the position back to the MPU or they are an the MPU can't 'hear' it. Given that the whole column is missing, I suspect the latter. It's probably worth checking the integrity of the EOS switches, the nylon separators, etc and making sure there's no way the EOS switch or wiring can touch the switch matrix switch. I know bad things can happen if they ever touch as the switch matrix doesn't like getting 50v.
Missing a whole column is not something I've had to debug before but I'm happy to muddle along a bit if you are. The relevant part of the MPU schematic is the top left corner of the 75 page of the pdf on ipdb:

The Switch Matrix Drives on the left are the columns. ST(robe)7 is column 7, 1J8-8 - Q42 - Pin 12 U40.
First thing I'd do is check continuity from useful point through the IDC connector, say the collector of Q42 through to the green/violet wire on the playfield. It'd be awesome if it was that simple.
I'd do a visual check on that area of the board too.
I'd look at the voltage that point with a DMM (or a logic probe if you've got one) and see if it's pulsing the same and the similar point on a working column's transistor like Q47. Likewise pin 12 of U40 vs say pin 7.

I think I understood about half of that haha. I have a DMM, how do I check the voltage?

I see Q42 and it looks like the round part of it is problem off. Could it be that?

7A6B056C-DD12-4A5C-901B-C6A986CCD01E (resized).jpeg7A6B056C-DD12-4A5C-901B-C6A986CCD01E (resized).jpeg

#2062 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

No need to check voltages as the visual test shows that Q42 is FUBAR. It needs to be replaced (and potentially other components in the path), but as grumpy suggests before it's replaced you need to ensure there's no connectivity between the high voltage and the switch matrix.
The lane change switches on the flippers are the most likely candidate. The EOS switch should be electrically isolated from the lane change switch. Check that the nylon spacer is intact. Check that the tabs of the switches haven't been bent. Check with a meter that there's no connectivity between the two switches for the whole range of motion of the flippers. Etc

Feels like progress! I must be getting close, thanks for helping me diagnose AJ and Grumpy.

For checking flipper vs switches, how do I read that voltage-wise?

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I'd just be looking for a lack of continuity. There should be no connection between the EOS switch and the lane change switches. The fault suggests that at some stage there was.

Ah, so more just ensure they aren’t touching? I need to start looking into what it takes to replace a Q42

#2067 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I'd use my eyes too, but I'd rely on a meter measuring continuity or resistance more. There might be a path between them that's not obvious visually. eg through the base plate or something. Hopefully it's something really obvious like the nylon triangle spacer is missing or that the tabs between the outer leaf of the EOS and the inner leaf of the lane change switch are too close. The spacer should look something like this:

If soldering isn't your thing, I'd find something to practise on first.

Cool, I’ve soldered the IDC connectors before, assuming with smaller pieces it’s a bit tougher.

Also, there are three transistors on Marco Specialties that look the same or similar. How do I know which one to match it up?

#2072 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

If I know the part is fried, I usually:

cut the legs close to the body of the part

desolder the remaining leg parts

clean up with solder sucker

fit new part and solder

The parts breakdown of the System 11b MPU on page 38 of the manual lists Q1, Q40, Q42-Q49 and Transistor, NPN, 2N3904, TO-92.
This agrees with the schematic above which notes the transistors are 2N3904.
So this one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/2N3904
I wouldn't order them from Marco, but that's partially because I'm on the other side of the world. I'd use a regular electronics supplier like rs-online as they are cheaper (but you often have to order a bunch): https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/bipolar-transistors/7390442/

New parts officially ordered. Now checking around for any switch issues ...

#2080 6 years ago
Quoted from Drickey86:

Anyone have a good translite avalible to sell? Also looking for the opto cam for the rotating ball guide, thanks

I’ve got an extra translite I bought but never used ... really because the prior owner had duct taped the one onto the backglass down on the bottom, electrical tape on the sides then the plastic brackets back over that. I’ll pull it out and take a picture for you. PM me.

#2081 6 years ago

I also have a second motor. I replaced it thinking I had a motor problem with the station not lining up ... but it’s a switch column issue that I’m working now ajfclark has been helping me out with. So if anyone is looking, let me know if your interested. The one thing it did do was my space Station would start turning the wrong way for a split second before turning the right way again, with the new motor that doesn’t happen. It sure what that means if anything at all for the motor since it already had the column issue and wasn’t working correctly anyway. But again, if anyone needs a motor, I’ve got one.

#2086 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Use a WPC flipper spring instead of that conical spring that comes with the kit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-to-wpc#post-1798005

Concur with this one, I upgraded my flippers first thing as my left was weak, and the upgrade is awesome, and was easy to do.

#2089 6 years ago

Hey ajfclark, I just pulled off the board to replace Q42, when I saw this up on Q77. Can’t be good. What does this control?

It also looks different than the two beside it, was it the wrong part?

2888FE55-10DB-48C9-B28E-FAE844DAF4BD (resized).jpeg2888FE55-10DB-48C9-B28E-FAE844DAF4BD (resized).jpeg

D87BA5C2-A12D-4F4F-9B8E-F4260A278321 (resized).jpegD87BA5C2-A12D-4F4F-9B8E-F4260A278321 (resized).jpeg

#2091 6 years ago

New transistor is in on Q42 and I’m back in full action for the first time! The credit dot is still there, but hey, The station lines up every time and condition green’s galore are about to happen! Thanks ajfclark for all the help!

#2094 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Go through the switch test, tap every switch in the column to test. I think that'll make the dot go away.

Credit dot gone! Thanks again! This game is so different when you can plan for Condition greens and up the scoring through completing the 1,2,3 and U,S,A roll overs. I also feel spoiled now that the station lines up perfectly and even directs the ball to the lock you need if you hit the left orbit. Lol

I thought beating my high score would be easy, and that I’d get it done in my first try last night, but looks like it will take more work to top the 4.6mm I got when none of this stuff worked. Haha. Here’s to pursuing greatness!

#2096 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I'd clear the high scores.
A) it'll be a different game now
B) with no lane change you couldn't have put your initials in anyway
C) any excuse to hear that tune and get the light show

Yup, all the top scores are blank names because of the lane changes. And for sure love hearing the tune and getting the lights. Definitely going to reset the scores

1 week later
#2151 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Here's where I am so far. Spent the day cutting out a cardboard proxy of the upper play field. I need to get it into the machine and see if my measurements were right and all the support holes line up. I am 99% sure I'll have to adjust at least something. hence the cardboard. I'll cut the next one out of clear plexi so I can fine tune the design. I have a lot of work to do with supporting the upper left flasher, all the lights, and the switches.
The final one could be made out of any color you want really. I have some blue transparent I want to experiment with. But I also need to do a little research on what plastic is most durable, and then what colors are available for it.

That’s amazing - coming together nicely! Mines in good shape, but I think blue would still look best!

#2198 6 years ago

That blue upper is no joke, nice work!!!

Came down to do some laundry, popped it on for a quick game, and set a new record on my machine! ajfclark seriously man, thanks for helping me get the game right!

Quoted from scarybeard:

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I will definitely be re-enforcing the drain hole, and exploring possibilities with lane guides and other hardware.
I threw the prototype on the machine and all the support holes aligned up good! Now I need to work on getting all the hardware hooked up. When it comes time to sell these I’ll let Everyone know how.

You know, I’m already picturing what matching pop bumpers might look like ... thoughts???

3FC4CD51-B305-42D7-B279-BFBF76BDE83B (resized).jpeg3FC4CD51-B305-42D7-B279-BFBF76BDE83B (resized).jpeg

#2223 6 years ago
Quoted from zFabi:

There you go its not a full copy but I love it

I want one, so much more crisp looking!

3 months later
#2352 5 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

I have been wanting to release this for a long time now...finally you can update your weird white plastic space station with something more realistic looking. Now available.
Check it out:
https://pinbotz.com/products/space-station

Does it come in white? Wondering if can match the backglass a little more.

1 month later
#2418 5 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Hmmm, you are right. It turns clockwise and overshoots the alignment. If I turn the game off and on again, it aligns itself by turning counter-clockwise. I did clean both optos with a QTip and rubbing alcohol. Is it possible to replace the gears in the gear box or do I need to buy this whole assembly?
ebay.com link » Williams Space Station Pinball Machine Space Station Motor 14 7941 2 New

Mine ended up not being a motor problem. I replaced the motor but it was still happening to me, so now I have an extra motor. Mine ended up being one of the transistors. Around Q77 if I remember right. I think it’s in a post somewhere.

2 weeks later
#2426 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hi all,
I have an ongoing issue on my space station that I've always had that I finally decided to try to fix. When the first ball of a game drains the game gets 'stuck' and doesn't do anything for 60-90 seconds before it finally continues (calculating bonuses, etc). It doesn't do any lost ball solenoid checks during this. It just sits there. This only happens on the first ball of every game. Balls 2,3,etc work as expected.
Anyone seen this before?

Mine does this quite a bit too ... ?

9 months later
#2824 4 years ago
Quoted from privydigger:

midcoastsurf
I recently picked up a Space Station and it is very fast, fun and challenging (the right outlane drains frequently). I notice the same alignment issue. I'm going to dig into it as well. There are times that it appears that the ball is supposed to be "left docked" but the station is misaligned and ends up just sending the ball onto the play field. There are other times where the station is not level with the ramp and the ball gets caught between the station and the ramp.

The station alignment is either optos, motor or in my case, it was a transistor. I wish I would have known that before buying a new motor haha. I think it was Q...67??? Check around there on the board and see if you have a transistor out.

The station itself can be adjusted by the top nut if I remember right, but also check and see if your ramp is sitting too high, my wireform worked more smooth after I adjusted it down for example.

7 months later
#2915 4 years ago
Quoted from BlitzM4:

Trying to find the part number for this plastic piece or a source for one. Goes on the jet bumper, mine is missing.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Mine is missing that same one!!!

4 months later
#3021 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Space Station is fun, but it is more known for it's light show and music which are top notch.
As for that right ramp? I rarely hit it. Mostly the left loop and try to spam the drop targets as much as possible.

Yup, the sound and light show are essentially the reason I keep holding on to this one! Well, this and because it was my first pin. Ha

1 week later
#3061 3 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

So i'm not a "mod" guy...BUT i ran these LED Strips under the length of bottom (two strips spaced evenly) and on the rear of the backbox (Across the top, and left/right side) last night and tied it into the Green GI circuit. It's a really neat effect. I bought two and just cut them as needed to create an even effect.
amazon.com link »
I'm also going to put green Comet fast blinkers in 50% of the green GI to give a frantic crazy multiball blinky effect too!

Would love to see pics of the strips in action!

7 months later
#3240 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Here I go asking a question before I finish the other 62 pages... but, with the "logic" of the light bulb that represents the flame of the shuttle, on the back glass looking like it flickers fast at times to represent a rocket flame, would it / could it be a good idea to put Comet's fire LED bulb in there to give it a neat look? Might not really make much of a difference, but just curious.
Thanks

The only way it works is if you leave those two lights and add a light that pulls power from another socket in the GI that doesn’t flash that way. I had the same thought a number of years ago haha.

#3249 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Interesting. Thought it was a good idea...oh well lol
How about for the "windows" of the space station. The owner I'm getting it from looks to have "rainbow" changing bulbs in there. I was thinking that the "cool blue" fire comet bulbs could look really good in the station windows in the backbox.

I keep them white, but that’s just personal preference. In fact, whe I honed in my back box lighting, I used 3 different white: natural, sunlight and warm, depending on where it fell on the station to help the shading pop. It looked way better than just using one white, of course used color where needed like red on the planet. I miss my Space Station sometimes

2 weeks later
#3327 3 years ago
Quoted from MrAztec:

Anyone had this problem and solved it? [quoted image]

This happened to me all the time. I made an adjustment to the ramp using the little screws in the plate and moving it over slightly. Didn’t take much at all, but that little amount took care of it.

5 months later
#3427 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Either the transistor that turns the motor on is shorted/something else is off with the motor control, or the station can't find "home".
Jump into diag mode and try the coil test, just letting it cycle through all the coils. If the station is still spinning while the display is showing other coils, there's something wrong with the control of the motor, like a shorted transistor or something.
The the motor just pulses a little and then stops, the motor and its control is fine, it's likely the optos or something else on the board under the station. Check the switches in the switch test.
If you don't know how to get into the various tests:

For me this is exactly what it was, the transistor on the main board behind the back glass. I don’t recall which one, but worked perfectly after replacing it. I think I have it in a post somewhere in this forum.

2 weeks later
#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Anyone else notice that the building on Godzilla is kind of like a mash up between the Time Expander on Dr Who and the Space Station diverter? Both Oursler designs...

I was thinking the same thing, it looked a whole lot like the time expander! I need to look closer for the diverged, did it change directions spin-wise on one of the layers?

#3484 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

From 1:10:26:
There's different layers that divert different ways, changing the destination of the ramps, much like the space station diverter.

whoa, now that’s cool!

1 week later
#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from Orange-Brommie:

I'm interested to know what colours have you all chosen, what people are using on their back box translite?
I have set up mine with a multi coloured space station wheel. Two blue, two red and two violet LEDs.
[quoted image][quoted image]

When I had it, I liked white lights the best in the chasers. For the rest of the back glass, I used 3 different whites based on the artwork that I thought really enhanced the foreground/background. Cool, warm and sunlight whites. Some color down on the planet of course, and for the ship on the lower left, I always wanted to mod in a flame bulb and angle it with the artwork. Never got there though.

1 month later
#3556 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I have some 12v LED strips left over from other projects and was thinking they would work great to light the sides of the Freeplay40 (transparent) ramp. Especially if synced to the target is down / ramp is open for a shot, such as Stop-N-Score or shoot-for-lock. Unfortunately I was rather shocked to discover there are no 12V bulbs under the playfield - it's all controlled 6V!
I could easily tie into the 12V flashers elsewhere, but they're not synced to the ramp.
Yeah yeah I know some 6V strips would probably work but my issue there is 1) trying to use what I already have on hand, ha, and 2) I'm afraid if I tie a lengthy 6V strip to a single controlled lamp, that might overload the transistor...?
Anyone ever do this or have any insights to share?

I did this with my freeplay40 ramps. I had 6v light strips on the side wall so the blue ramp was lit up during normal play, and green strips made the ramp glow green during condition green. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, looked great!

#3566 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Does that lamp have a through wire? If so, you probably only need to connect 1 wire (the +) and then ground the other wire somewhere else. I'm just spitballing here as I'd have to look myself but what you describe sounds like they share a common wire.

Right, mine I used the GI with a matrix splitter on it.

7 months later
#3659 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

Finally fitted my Freeplay40 blue ramp - only bought it 3 years ago My orig black one was in good shape though repaired .
Pleased with it - lit up it’s a little paler blue than I thought it might be , fit was good , a little tight on one mounting post . Had to slacken off the Station retaining nut to raise it a bit as the new ramp sat fractionally higher resulting in a lip and ball hang spot.
Thinking what to do with the no artwork void now visible. Thinking some artwork in the same style as rest of the game, some reworked plastic to cover the solenoid and possibly a good small model Space Shuttle or space walking astronaut figure under there
Have any other owners with new ramp added anything under there ?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I tried things, but in the end was happy with putting two LED strip lights on the side wall under it. White or blue for the normal GI (I went white) and put a green one connected to condition green there and in the back corner. When the ramp goes fully green it looks awesome!

1 month later
#3708 1 year ago

I’m back in the club! This was my first pinballs machine purchased 6 years ago. The hit that started the addiction. Sold it last year thinking it was time, and regretted it. Super happy to find one again!

#3714 1 year ago

Question - I’m thinking of going either clear or blue with the pop bumper caps. I saw a little while back someone did clear, has anyone done blue?

1 week later
#3719 1 year ago
Quoted from PennSkate-Arcade:

I had the same problem on a space station I purchased, seemed to have gone through 2 owners till it got to me to resolve it. The opto section on the CPU had a bad transistor (Q42)and basically wasnt telling the motor to stop... so it kept on rotating. Not sure what would take out the transistor in the way that it did. I also replaced the resistors R13 R14 and R71. I might not have had to (R13 reading was off)but they were burnt and didnt want future issues. I would check that if you checked the connectors on the CPU and the connector for the optos and motor.
[quoted image]

That was the issue on my first Soace Station - Q42 had blown somehow. Did the suggested above before I found it, reflowed solder, I even bought a new motor, but it was just the transistor, which didn’t look bad just looking at it until I multimetered it.

1 month later
#3733 1 year ago

Working on this Space Station I recently traded for. One of the coils under the pop bumpers is fried and locked up. (Part #AE-23-800). My question is, that one had a diode on it (bottom right pop if you are under the playfield, top right above the playfield), but the other two don’t have a diode. I want to be sure I buy the right coil, can someone tell me if it is supposed to have a diode or not?

Also, what’s with the fin shank screws being unobtanium? I broke two of them unfortunately…

AC690577-C42D-474A-9348-045EDA52C73E (resized).jpegAC690577-C42D-474A-9348-045EDA52C73E (resized).jpeg
#3735 1 year ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

The diodes for the coils are on the aux board. It is safe to cut the diode from the coil. You can also leave it if you're 100% sure it's the right way around relative to your wiring.
The special solenoids are directly triggered by the spoon switch. If something happens there, they lock on. There's a range of solutions for this issue. e.g.
https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-sss.html
I think DumbAss has a mod too: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/
Not sure about the screw sorry. There's some fin screws on Marco.

That’s good to know, that maybe The switch at the spoon is what I initially locked it on. I think it’s been this way since I’ve got it, I don’t think it happened when I turned it on. And I’ll check there, because it’s locked up even when the game is off. So I’m thinking the coil is burned up as well, but I’m taking it apart tonight to know for sure.

#3736 1 year ago

Waiting for the front bumper coil to come in, but rebuilt the front pop bumper. It was my first time in 6 years and 40 machines I’ve had to do it, so I screwed up a bunch of times, even with following Vids guide haha. Almost there, but flipped my pop bumpers to clear caps, and cut the angle off the front one using the original red as a guide. Once I get it all sorted I’ll take a pic lit up, but love how it brightens up the plastics above the pops. .

Hopefully I get it working next week to snap a follow up pic after the parts arrive.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3742 1 year ago

Hi all, need some help on this one. I just got my pop bumpers put back together, and fired it up to test them out. But on start up, there’s a constant clicking happening, I think it’s coming from the Backbox? Anyone know what that could be? About 5 seconds apart each click.

3 weeks later
#3746 1 year ago

I put in a new coil for the pop bumper that was burned up. Now when the ball hits any pop once the fuse blows. I am wondering if this means I needed the coil with the diode?

#3748 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Space station has an aux power supply which has the diodes for the coils mounted on it. Which pop coil did you replace?

When the playfield is up vertical it’s the one furthest down towards the bottom.

3 weeks later
#3752 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is the right pop or special solenoid #3. The coil diode is D-19 on the aux power supply.
[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks! The other two don’t have a diode correct? I think I bought this one looking at the other two. I gotta find a diode for this one now I guess.

2 months later
#3812 1 year ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I recently picked this up after winning a local tournament:
[quoted image]

That’s super cool?

Quoted from tomh52722:

Sold my space station several years ago and regretted it ever since. If anyone near Ohio wants to sell or trade yours please keep me in mind. Love that game!

Yup, that happened to me. Jumped at the chance to get one back. Fixing it up as we speak! My latest problem is whenever a ball hits any pops or slings, it blows the fuse. might send my board to someone that knows them better than me since I already replaced the transistors - work had been done to them before I got to it, so there’s some crispy things going on there.

#3822 1 year ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Individual fusing for the special solenoids can help track down issues in the pops, slighshots: https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-sss.html
Also means you're less likely to nuke things as instead of having a giant (relatively) fuse, you can fuse a lot lower.

Bummer, looks like they’re OOS. Also, does it work with sys11? Says sys3-7 on it?

#3823 1 year ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I think so. I was very chuffed when I found it in the prize box.

Ha, my bad, that was supposed to end in an ! And not a ?

Right next to each other on the keyboard

2 weeks later
#3845 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I keep thinking I need to start moving some things around to make room for new blood. I always think SS will be on the chopping block, but then I play it, and get condition green and that changes. I'm not sure what the actual draw is, it's not my favorite game by any means, but of my older games it gets the most play.

I hear you on this. SS was my first game ever, and as the collection grew over 6 years I got on and off the fence about it. Finally decided to sell it a little over a year ago. Big mistake, totally missed it! Luckily found another one a few months ago. A bit of a project, but looking forward to having it back!

#3852 1 year ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Do you all have any topper ideas? What about powder coating, what's your favorite? I've seen a red that looked good.
My wife said, "put a death star as a topper". I was like whaaaat? Wait ... What would be a cool, silly topper? I'll ask pinside dudes.

I’m not in on Star Wars-ing it. But a Space Shuttle would look good, and potentially some astronauts. That’s what I’ve been considering along with a green LED light strip up there hooked into the GI for Condition green action.

Just my .02

#3860 1 year ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Yeah, thought of a shuttle as well. I wish there was a cool station looking item to out up there, something a bit futuristic and different.
She loves star wars, that's why lol. She was just bsing around.

I thought about modifying and painting a Deep Space 9 space station actually haha

2 months later
#3914 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did not realize how good the music was in this!! Pleasantly surprised.

Super good, and so is the light show after beating condition green!

1 month later
#3950 9 months ago

Question: Anyone know if there are any plastics protectors on this game? I'm on my second Space Station (First game I ever owned, and regretted selling it). On my first one, the slingshot plastics were broken at where they extend towards the flippers. I can see these are bent a little there too, wondering if I should put some washers under the two posts through the metal ball guide to help them sit at the same level as the star posts. But also figured it would be good to protect them with a stronger protector.

I've done quite a bit of searching online through all the usual suppliers of plastic protectors, nothing is turning up. So thought I would check and see if anyone has seen them on here. Thanks!

#3952 9 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Call pinballife, ask them if they can cut you some protectors

That’s a good idea, I didn’t know they would do custom stuff

4 months later
#3991 5 months ago
Quoted from justler:

Anyone know where I could buy one of these? Not available through Marco or pbl.
[quoted image]

I think I need that one too - dang

3 months later
#4118 60 days ago

Is there a way to convert the 1251? Like, throw in a diode to drop the voltage so it can run 89’s?

#4125 60 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, right now all 3 bulbs are wired in parallel. Rewire them in series instead, then install #89 leds. They will never burn out again.

Oh really? That’s so simple … I think I’m actually going to do that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TicTacSeth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only?tu=TicTacSeth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.