20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg
There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 84.
#2651 5 years ago

I finally joined the club!! After months of searching I ended up spotting this one in the background of a CL ad and asked the guy if he would sell. It's got some things that will need attention but it's in overall good shape. The one issue I'm having at the moment is the right pop bumper is dead. It won't fire via switch or in test mode. It lights up. All the wires are connected and test the same on the MM as the two working pops. Any tips on what I'm missing. Still working on my schematic skills.

IMG_20190214_153226 (resized).jpgIMG_20190214_153226 (resized).jpg
#2652 5 years ago

Welcome to the club. Let’s see a pic of that cpu board.

#2653 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

I finally joined the club!! After months of searching I ended up spotting this one in the background of a CL ad and asked the guy if he would sell. It's got some things that will need attention but it's in overall good shape. The one issue I'm having at the moment is the right pop bumper is dead. It won't fire via switch or in test mode. It lights up. All the wires are connected and test the same on the MM as the two working pops. Any tips on what I'm missing. Still working on my schematic skills.
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club.

#2654 5 years ago
IMG_20190220_200742 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_200742 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_200759 (resized).jpgIMG_20190220_200759 (resized).jpg
#2655 5 years ago

Dang that board is clean. I can't see anything wrong.

#2656 5 years ago

Yep looks perrrty!
Do you have manual?
Those are special solenoids in schematic

A7E715F5-9A7D-41CC-914C-AC4B1BA04A24 (resized).pngA7E715F5-9A7D-41CC-914C-AC4B1BA04A24 (resized).png
#2657 5 years ago

Did you check your switch gap?

#2658 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

[quoted image]

Given that it doesn't fire in coil test, I wouldn't look at the activation switch (yet). Once you've got it working in coil test, we can look at the activation switch if needed.

It sounds similar to an issue I had with my Space Station when I picked it up. Here's my debugging thread working through the left pop: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-special-solenoid-5-not-firing

First thing I would do is to make sure there's power (voltage) at the coil. If there is not voltage at both lugs relative to ground, the coil is done. If there's no voltage, the problem is upstream (fuse, broken power wire, etc).

If there is voltage at both lugs, you can test the coil by briefly grounding the lug with the thin wire to ground. That should fire the coil. Likewise, the tab of the controlling transistor should also fire the coil. If the tab doesn't fire the coil, but grounding the coil does there's a break in the ground wire between the transistor and the coil.

If all that checks out, you can start looking at the board closer.

#2659 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Did you check your switch gap?

Switch is clean and gap is good.

Quoted from heni1977:

Yep looks perrrty!
Do you have manual?
Those are special solenoids in schematic
[quoted image]

I have the manual but just so so skills at reading wiring diagrams. The way I view that if Vio-Yel is common to all three and two are working that just leaves Blu-Org as a suspect?

#2660 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Switch is clean and gap is good.

I have the manual but just so so skills at reading wiring diagrams. The way I view that if Vio-Yel is common to all three and two are working that just leaves Blu-Org as a suspect?

Correct. You should have continuity from the blue yellow lug to the transistor tab that controls that coil. Hence, see voltage at the transistor's tab.

#2661 5 years ago

Manual says it's blue orange... I'm not at my machine to confirm which is correct. Q73 should be the controlling transistor.
[edit: it is blue orange in my machine, pin 3

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2662 5 years ago

Thanks @ajfclark! I had power all lugs. I just ran down and grounded it to the side rail and she popped. I will work at tracing that wire back tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all you quick responses I look forward to being in this club for a long time to come!

#2663 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Thanks ajfclark! I had power all lugs. I just ran down and grounded it to the side rail and she popped. I will work at tracing that wire back tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all you quick responses I look forward to being in this club for a long time to come!

Cool. That's a start. I can't see what the second from top connector on the right side of the MPU looks like:

Pin 3 (3rd from top, first/highest one in the second connector in that header) should also show voltage, as should the tab on the transistor.

#2664 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

[quoted image]

Congratulations neighbor. I have a game stored in DePere and could check in with you when next I visit. I love my Space Station and have it well tuned. Keep in touch, Randy

#2665 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Thanks ajfclark! I had power all lugs. I just ran down and grounded it to the side rail and she popped. I will work at tracing that wire back tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all you quick responses I look forward to being in this club for a long time to come!

This usually means that the transistor is bad. Replace q73 with a new tip 102 and I think you will be in business

#2666 5 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

This usually means that the transistor is bad. Replace q73 with a new tip 102 and I think you will be in business

I have had pretty good luck testing those transistors with board still installed. don't a lot of techs suggest replacing the predriver too?

#2667 5 years ago

Yes, any time you change the driver you should change the pre driver as well!

#2668 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Congratulations neighbor. I have a game stored in DePere and could check in with you when next I visit. I love my Space Station and have it well tuned. Keep in touch, Randy

Thanks Randy! Do let me know next time your in town! I don't know if you know but we have a new pinball hotspot in town https://titletownpinball.com/ Erik's collection is amazing and all the machines are mint! it's not open to the public but we have league twice a month as well as tournaments monthly.

IMG_20181218_190350 (resized).jpgIMG_20181218_190350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190219_205621_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190219_205621_01 (resized).jpg
#2669 5 years ago

Thanks for all the tips guys. So I just grounded Q73 as shown in the This Old Pinball video and the pop fired that way as well so that pretty much makes it a wiring issue between the board and the pop?

#2670 5 years ago

I think that means a driver transistor is bad.
I could be wrong still a newb myself and been in this hobbie for 6 yrs now.

#2671 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Thanks for all the tips guys. So I just grounded Q73 as shown in the This Old Pinball video and the pop fired that way as well so that pretty much makes it a wiring issue between the board and the pop?

No. The transistor controls the ground path. If grounding the transistor fires the coil, everything from the power supply to the fuse, through the coil and back to the MPU board is ok. The problem is in the other parts of the circuit.

Quoted from heni1977:

I could be wrong still a newb myself and been in this hobbie for 6 yrs now.

You're probably correct. There's a few other things like the PIA, U45 and so on, but the driver and pre driver are the most likely candidates:

#2672 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

I have a space shuttle and had this issue. Tried all sort of stuff, then I was thinking is the wire in the correct spot on the connector? The answer was no! Put wire in the correct spot and it fixed the pop! Two plugs were replaced on this pin I bought , both had a wire in a wrong spot. So, worth checking.

#2673 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I have a space shuttle and had this issue. Tried all sort of stuff, then I was thinking is the wire in the correct spot on the connector? The answer was no! Put wire in the correct spot and it fixed the pop! Two plugs were replaced on this pin I bought , both had a wire in a wrong spot. So, worth checking.

If grounding the tab of the transistor fires the coil, the wiring is known to be good. Electricity can flow from the power supply, through the fuse, through the thick (red/white in this case) wire, through the coil, through thin wire (blue/orange) into the pin, into the header, along the trace to the transistor, up its leg, into the tab and then through your alligator clip to ground.

#2674 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

If grounding the tab of the transistor fires the coil, the wiring is known to be good. Electricity can flow from the power supply, through the fuse, through the thick (red/white in this case) wire, through the coil, through thin wire (blue/orange) into the pin, into the header, along the trace to the transistor, up its leg, into the tab and then through your alligator clip to ground.

Right, but if the “trigger” wire is not connected to the transistor that fires the pop, it won’t pop. This is what happened to me. Fired when I grounded the transistor. The trigger wire wasn’t connected to the transistor because it was one slot off in the connector.

#2675 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Right, but if the “trigger” wire is not connected to the transistor that fires the pop, it won’t pop. This is what happened to me. Fired when I grounded the transistor. The trigger wire wasn’t connected to the transistor because it was one slot off in the connector.

So couldn't you confirm that in switch test?

#2676 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

So couldn't you confirm that in switch test?

Great thought!! Special solenoids aren’t detected in switch test for system 9s.

#2677 5 years ago

Doh! Meant system 11s.

#2678 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Great thought!! Special solenoids aren’t detected in switch test for system 9s.

Of course, switch tests confirms switch operation not solenoid operation. If that pop switch registers in sw test then your "trigger" wire is good which leads us back to questioning the transistor.

Quoted from fabsj82:

pinwiki has some good tips on testing transistors.

#2679 5 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Thanks Randy! Do let me know next time your in town! I don't know if you know but we have a new pinball hotspot in town https://titletownpinball.com/ Erik's collection is amazing and all the machines are mint! it's not open to the public but we have league twice a month as well as tournaments monthly.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow that is amazing! over 50 games in one room and a couple syst 11's. My wife and I might have to come over for a Saturday event once winter is over.

#2680 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Ah, you mean the activation switch on the connector above the ground lines. Yes, if it fires when you ground the tab, and in coil test, but not when you close the activation switch, that is where I'd be looking.

1 week later
#2681 5 years ago

I read all 2680 posts over the last week and not one mention of aliens lol. I have a couple of these outer space vodka bottles thought could make a interesting topper.

IMG_20190226_194131 (resized).jpgIMG_20190226_194131 (resized).jpg
#2682 5 years ago

I love my new space station model. Thanks bpull !

6451F3A6-56D4-4FD2-AEE8-F1861FF4FA3F (resized).jpeg6451F3A6-56D4-4FD2-AEE8-F1861FF4FA3F (resized).jpegDFF6B4A1-D561-42F4-900A-B81AFF03F763 (resized).jpegDFF6B4A1-D561-42F4-900A-B81AFF03F763 (resized).jpeg
#2683 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I love my new space station model. Thanks bpull !
[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful pf. To bad about the out lanes though.

#2684 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Beautiful pf. To bad about the out lanes though.

Yeah, players condition for sure. I also have no art on the sides of my cabinet. i'm hoping to get invited to your house one of these days to seen your space staion (and mods for sale). Were you talking about a pinball party? Get grumpy down here?

#2685 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Get grumpy down here?

When???

#2686 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Yeah, players condition for sure. I also have no art on the sides of my cabinet. i'm hoping to get invited to your house one of these days to seen your space staion (and mods for sale). Were you talking about a pinball party? Get grumpy down here?

It will be a while for the party, all this snow is a royal pain for me because people have to park on the side street and it's just jammed with snow.

2 weeks later
#2687 5 years ago

Does anyone have a list of how many and type of LEDs you would need to do the whole game?

I'm planning to do mine and if no-one has a list I'll put one up when I'm done

#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Does anyone have a list of how many and type of LEDs you would need to do the whole game?
I'm planning to do mine and if no-one has a list I'll put one up when I'm done

Just count them, open up your pf and count. Color coordinate the insert lights.
Mine uses milky dome warm white for the GI and milky dome green for the condition green. I think it's really hard to make a list of all the leds with its color, wedge or bulb, and all other specs. I regularly exchange the leds until i'm satisfied.

#2689 5 years ago

I've Got a space station "reject" forsale if anyone would like to buy it. 28 bucks shipped US. It's got a few tiny air bubbles in the plastic form which you cant really see 4 feet away when it's in the machine. PM me if interested. Might have a second one too.

Brian.

20190224_194220 (resized).jpg20190224_194220 (resized).jpg20190224_194234 (resized).jpg20190224_194234 (resized).jpg
#2690 5 years ago

I’ll have very high quality replacement divertor sets for a space station ready by next week. The Upper divertor itself, and the smaller piece beneath it that acts as a gear. These are not 3D printed. They are hand molded by a professional who does tjis for a living, and the same high quality resin as our Pinbot ramps. Hit me up if you need a set!

#2691 5 years ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

I’ll have very high quality replacement divertor sets for a space station ready by next week. The Upper divertor itself, and the smaller piece beneath it that acts as a gear. These are not 3D printed. They are hand molded by a professional who does tjis for a living, and the same high quality resin as our Pinbot ramps. Hit me up if you need a set!

Are these going to be black? Opaque or transparent?
Glad to hear these will be available.

#2692 5 years ago

planning just to do stock black as they originally came. if someone has a special request we could consider doing a run

Added over 5 years ago:
Quoted from RCA1:

Are these going to be black? Opaque or transparent?
Glad to hear these will be available.

1 week later
#2693 5 years ago

Well, my Space Station is resetting during game play the other day. Not sure what the issue is as it happens during normal game play and not when both flipper buttons are pushed or any certain time during game play. I am assuming it is a voltage issue but I am still learning and hoping it is an easy fix. Any ideas or suggestions where I should start looking/replace?

#2695 5 years ago

Thanks! Will look through it this weekend to see if I can find and fix the issue

#2696 5 years ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

planning just to do stock black as they originally came. if someone has a special request we could consider doing a run

Added 9 days ago:

Would be awesome to see a clear blue set to match the upper playfield

#2697 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Would be awesome to see a clear blue set to match the upper playfield

I couldn't agree more. Blue or clear, with LED lighting would be awesome. Personally, I'd say anything but black.

#2698 5 years ago

I disagree on that - it's attached to the black ramp. What you MIGHT do though is make it so it can be wired for led's above it. I know a few people designed a few working ways to do that.

#2699 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I disagree on that - it's attached to the black ramp. What you MIGHT do though is make it so it can be wired for led's above it. I know a few people designed a few working ways to do that.

@freeplay40's replacements are an amazing transparent blue to match the upper PF.

#2700 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

freeplay40's replacements are an amazing transparent blue to match the upper PF.

I have one of those with a blue chase led strip on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/54?hl=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.