20240226_184548 (resized).jpg
20240226_191733 (resized).jpg
20240226_191625 (resized).jpg
20240226_191654 (resized).jpg
20240226_191755 (resized).jpg
20240226_192004 (resized).jpg
20240226_191843 (resized).jpg
20240219_220145 (resized).jpg
There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 84.
#2151 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Here's where I am so far. Spent the day cutting out a cardboard proxy of the upper play field. I need to get it into the machine and see if my measurements were right and all the support holes line up. I am 99% sure I'll have to adjust at least something. hence the cardboard. I'll cut the next one out of clear plexi so I can fine tune the design. I have a lot of work to do with supporting the upper left flasher, all the lights, and the switches.
The final one could be made out of any color you want really. I have some blue transparent I want to experiment with. But I also need to do a little research on what plastic is most durable, and then what colors are available for it.

That’s amazing - coming together nicely! Mines in good shape, but I think blue would still look best!

#2152 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Here's where I am so far. Spent the day cutting out a cardboard proxy of the upper play field. I need to get it into the machine and see if my measurements were right and all the support holes line up. I am 99% sure I'll have to adjust at least something. hence the cardboard. I'll cut the next one out of clear plexi so I can fine tune the design. I have a lot of work to do with supporting the upper left flasher, all the lights, and the switches.
The final one could be made out of any color you want really. I have some blue transparent I want to experiment with. But I also need to do a little research on what plastic is most durable, and then what colors are available for it.

Nice work so far.

#2153 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Original blue prob best ...but it would be interesting to see how it looked in red or even green

#2154 6 years ago
Quoted from sly:

I there!
Need help with the lamps on the GI that are very weak ...
On the power supplie board test point:
Board=5765-09466-0
TpTp1=5 vdc
Tp3=11.6vdc
Tp4= -14vdc
Tp1=10.1 vac
Tp3=24.9vac
Tp4=0vac
Any clue???

None of the test points are on the GI circuits. You need to look at the 6v AC feed which goes from the transformer in to the bottom right corner of the power supply board via 2 yellow and 2 yellow white wires, that feeds straight out of 3J8 to the 4 fuses on the right side of the backbox. All the connectors on the GI circuits have the habit of cooking themselves, both the two on the power supply board and those on the interconnect boards and the GI relay boards. The GI relay boards also have a habit of cracking their solder joints.

Are you having issues with one particular strand or just various sockets on in various places?

#2155 6 years ago

Test fit the cardboard proxy today. Mostly fit. A few adjustments to be made and I think I’ll be ready for an acrylic proxy.

360805F6-53EE-4216-80B0-8583FB05AE36 (resized).jpeg360805F6-53EE-4216-80B0-8583FB05AE36 (resized).jpeg

#2156 6 years ago

Woo Hoo! Finally got my Space Station up and running again today after tear down. I didn't go as hard core as some. Rebuilt the pops, flippers, cleaned, added new rubbers, Leds and a playfield protector. I chose to leave the mylar on.

After about an hour of playing, hit 3.5MM! I recorded the high score song (initials times out, so it is blank).

Count me in for a new mini playfield when it happens.

Chris

#2157 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Test fit the cardboard proxy today. Mostly fit. A few adjustments to be made and I think I’ll be ready for an acrylic proxy.

Nice work! The only downside I can see of the layered back section is that the bulbs might be awkwardly exposed?

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Woo Hoo! Finally got my Space Station up and running again today after tear down. I didn't go as hard core as some. Rebuilt the pops, flippers, cleaned, added new rubbers, Leds and a playfield protector. I chose to leave the mylar on.
After about an hour of playing, hit 3.5MM! I recorded the high score song (initials times out, so it is blank).
» YouTube video
Count me in for a new mini playfield when it happens.
Chris

I do that too...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be4hGxdnRWq/

#2158 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Woo Hoo! Finally got my Space Station up and running again today after tear down.

That light show never gets old.

#2159 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

1. There should only be 4 wires on the coil.
2. Connection #3 should have a blue/yellow wire. Nothing else.
3. Connection #2 should have blue wire which also connects to the EOS switch.
4. Connection #1 should have a pair of wires, a blue/violet and a blue wire which also goes to the EOS switch.
5. Now the cap wires do not go to the coil, they connect to the EOS switch with the blue wires. Direction does not matter.

I see one big error I made where I have the capacitor being connected to the center connection. I want to make sure i got the order of your "Connections" correct since all the wires match the colors you described. Can you please confirm and I will mess with it tonight to see if i can get it to work.

Flipper (resized).pngFlipper (resized).png

#2160 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I see one big error I made

That is one, but having the EOS blue wire on #3 is a dead short every time you push the flipper button.

#2161 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That is one, but having the EOS blue wire on #3 is a dead short every time you push the flipper button.

Thanks! I will look at it tonight and emulate the left flipper set up on the right along with the info above to make sure i get it right. This should be an easy fix but all this electronic stuff is over my head.

#2162 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I will look at it tonight and emulate the left flipper set up on the right

This sometimes will get you into trouble if someone has done it incorrectly before. Best thing is to learn how to do this correctly one time and either remember it or write it down somewhere for later access.

#2163 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This sometimes will get you into trouble if someone has done it incorrectly before. Best thing is to learn how to do this correctly one time and either remember it or write it down somewhere for later access.

Great point. I took a picture before i replaced the coil and put it together just like the picture. This is something i will remember, once i get it right, i will make sure not to make the sames mistakes again.

#2164 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Great point. I took a picture before i replaced the coil and put it together just like the picture. This is something i will remember, once i get it right, i will make sure not to make the sames mistakes again.

I would recommend understanding how the primary power winding and secondary hold winding work and then where the EOS switch and capacitor wires go will make perfect sense.

If you look at the diagram on top of the coil:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Power comes in on terminal 3. So where does the ground go? If we attach the ground to 2, the primary winding will always be used. That's not what we want so ground must be terminal 1.

At this stage, with no EOS attached, electricity will only flow from 3 to 1 via the secondary. The idea of the EOS is that when it is closed the electricity should travel through the primary winding and when it is open, the power should travel through the secondary winding.

There's 3 possible places you could attach the EOS:

3+1 : Power will flow directly from +50v to the EOS and then ground, blowing the fuse
3+2 : Power can only reach ground via the secondary coil
2+1 : Power will flow through the primary then the EOS to ground when the EOS is closed, and via the secondary when the EOS is open.

The capacitor is to protect the EOS, not the coil, and is always directly attached to the EOS.

If your coil doesn't have a diagram on the top, the terminals with fat wires are the ends of the primary winding and the terminals with the thin wires are the ends of the secondary winding.

#2165 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I see one big error I made where I have the capacitor being connected to the center connection. I want to make sure i got the order of your "Connections" correct since all the wires match the colors you described. Can you please confirm and I will mess with it tonight to see if i can get it to work.

Alright, got everything wired and when i close it up and push the start button, nothing happens. So this would be a new problem that I created fixing the flippers. Any suggestions?

Also, when powered on, it flashes lights every 3 seconds and does not do its normal start up and sounds.

#2166 6 years ago

have you checked fuses?

#2167 6 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

have you checked fuses?

That is what I am planning to do tonight but not sure how to determine which fuse is associated with the start button and from there, how to determine if it is blown.

#2168 6 years ago

Fuses are the simplest things to check and a great starting place for issues. Remove the fuse to test from machine as sometimes you may get a false reading when checking it installed. Set your digital multi meter to the continuity or sound icon then place one lead on each side, you should get tone.

#2169 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Fuses are the simplest things to check and a great starting place for issues. Remove the fuse to test from machine as sometimes you may get a false reading when checking it installed. Set your digital multi meter to the continuity or sound icon then place one lead on each side, you should get tone.

Thanks for the info. I am very new to electronics and it doesnt make sense to me. But will check with my multi meter when i get home. Are these fuses located under the play field or behind the translite?

#2170 6 years ago

I don think Space Station has any under the PF. Most should be in the head unit, back box. People call them different things! Watch some videos on DMM testing will help with all those little capacitor, diodes, transistors. Should be something on pinside somewhere too.

#2171 6 years ago

Having a dead short like you had may have reset the settings in the ram. You might have to reset it to free play.

#2172 6 years ago

I believe there is one fuse under the playfield,
left side.

Quoted from heni1977:

I don think Space Station has any under the PF. Most should be in the head unit, back box. People call them different things! Watch some videos on DMM testing will help with all those little capacitor, diodes, transistors. Should be something on pinside somewhere too.

IMG_20180221_2049147 (resized).jpgIMG_20180221_2049147 (resized).jpg

#2173 6 years ago

Could also be the tilt maybe?

Check your tilt bob and wiring , you want to be sure the tilt is not engaged

Also check the slam switches, I think there’s one under the playfield and one on the coindoor

#2174 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I believe there is one fuse under the playfield,
left side.

Sure is! Dang it’s been awhile since I had the hood up on Space Station!

#2175 6 years ago

Progress. I used clear for some of the rails because I could not fit them all on a 12x12” blue. But I kinda like the mix of plastics. I’ll have to see what it looks like on the machine tomorrow.

233E46A5-1306-4529-B1D2-ACFCB9139BA0 (resized).jpeg233E46A5-1306-4529-B1D2-ACFCB9139BA0 (resized).jpeg

#2176 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Progress. I used clear for some of the rails because I could not fit them all on a 12x12” blue. But I kinda like the mix of plastics. I’ll have to see what it looks like on the machine tomorrow.

That looks amazing!

#2177 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Great job! I can’t wait to see all of the switches and bulbs installed and working

#2178 6 years ago

Wow!

#2179 6 years ago

WOW!!! I will deff be in on one of these. Even though I don't need one I would still install this. It looks way cooler!

#2180 6 years ago

Looks GREAT! That gives it a more modern flair. The drain hole has always been a weak spot, can you add another layer of material around the bottom of it?

#2182 6 years ago

I will definitely purchase one of these when they are ready (and i am sure i am not the only one). Please let us know when you get it perfect and ready to get rid of some.

#2184 6 years ago

Holy cow ..... that playfield looks awesome !!

Where do I sign up !

#2185 6 years ago

Yeah, with the layered structural beams that thing somehow LOOKS like it belongs on a space station! Great job! I wonder if/how the clear acrylic will pipe the bulb lighting through the back wall? Could be an interesting effect.

My original is in decent to nice shape, but I'd consider this one an upgrade. I hope the lane guides work out well!

#2186 6 years ago

I’d defiantly be in for one if they are going to be produced!

Also, my board no’s trashed. It’s time to replace it. Aftermarket or try to find a repaired original?

2AF6C83F-BAFA-41DA-BC53-9EE9E4915624 (resized).jpeg2AF6C83F-BAFA-41DA-BC53-9EE9E4915624 (resized).jpeg

061BC9AF-621C-44E0-8B9D-B80DC1EFD31C (resized).jpeg061BC9AF-621C-44E0-8B9D-B80DC1EFD31C (resized).jpeg

#2187 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

That looks really nice

#2188 6 years ago

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I will definitely be re-enforcing the drain hole, and exploring possibilities with lane guides and other hardware.

I threw the prototype on the machine and all the support holes aligned up good! Now I need to work on getting all the hardware hooked up. When it comes time to sell these I’ll let Everyone know how.

FDFB3F78-D0B9-49B1-B001-471AEB352A72 (resized).jpegFDFB3F78-D0B9-49B1-B001-471AEB352A72 (resized).jpeg

#2189 6 years ago

That looks awesome id deffinatly buy one , my machine has a black upper pf (prototype machine from what i gather that would look way better and match my new blue ramp!

#2190 6 years ago

^^^ same. My black playfeild works and is clean but it seems out of place

#2191 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

What can you do about the numbers 1, 2 and 3 on the back rail?

#2192 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What can you do about the numbers 1, 2 and 3 on the back rail?

look very closely @ post #2175

#2193 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I will definitely be re-enforcing the drain hole, and exploring possibilities with lane guides and other hardware.
I threw the prototype on the machine and all the support holes aligned up good! Now I need to work on getting all the hardware hooked up. When it comes time to sell these I’ll let Everyone know how.

What are the size (#6,#8?) and length of the 2 bolts on the front curved piece?

#2194 6 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

look very closely @ post #2175

Is that a recess I see for the numbers that light up? Would they be laser etched and glued in?

#2195 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that a recess I see for the numbers that light up? Would they be laser etched and glued in?

I'm going to try that first. I should be able to cut some numbered pieces and insert them, though I'm a little worried that will create a 'scratch point' where the ball is going to hit those pieces at a slightly different angle than the rest of the rail, and over time cause damage. There's a few other options though. I could use a thin cover over the whole rail, that has printed or laser etched graphics on it. The original has a printed piece of paper. I want to go more durable than that, I'm imagining a thin 1" strip of clear plastic with a printed graphic on the back side of it, like all the other playfield plastics. It would be pulling the look of the upper playfield more in line with the original artwork on the rest of the machine. I could probably also cut a thin clear to use on the 'top' section with a printed graphic as well. I'll have to draw some concepts.

My other option is to do something new with it. I did a 'stroke' pass on the prototype playfield that etched a 1-2-3 on the surface of the playfield above the switch lanes. Its kinda hard to see in the photos. But I did it to see if the ball direction would be effected by it. I'm going to try cutting those shapes out, then cutting inserts of another color (probably red) and putting them into the playfield so the numbers are visible. Then moving the lights from behind the rails, to underneath the red 1-2-3's.

I did the insert trick on my Ghostbusters airball protector and really like how it turned out. The surface is basically perfectly flat and it has been holding up really well so far:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6C7O6gp9-/?hl=en&taken-by=scarybeardpro

#2196 6 years ago

I have become pretty familiar with my game and manage to deal well with most issues. But I am stumped currently hoping for some suggestions.

While I was sailing in Latin America for several weeks my wife was playing every night and managed to get very good (I'm glad she likes pinball) As a result she has managed to rack up all four high scores on the leader board all over 6,000,000 and one over 7,000,000. I have the game set at 5 balls per game but those are hard scores to beat any how. And now she is doing it on my Congo....

So I want to reset the high scores so my friends can enjoy the achievement too. But I have gone through the game adjustment menus and can not figure it out. Do I need to change ad13-17?

Any help on how to reset high scores will be appreciated although she will be pissed.

#2197 6 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I have become pretty familiar with my game and manage to deal well with most issues. But I am stumped currently hoping for some suggestions.
While I was sailing in Latin America for several weeks my wife was playing every night and managed to get very good (I'm glad she likes pinball) As a result she has managed to rack up all four high scores on the leader board all over 6,000,000 and one over 7,000,000. I have the game set at 5 balls per game but those are hard scores to beat any how. And now she is doing it on my Congo....
So I want to reset the high scores so my friends can enjoy the achievement too. But I have gone through the game adjustment menus and can not figure it out. Do I need to change ad13-17?
Any help on how to reset high scores will be appreciated although she will be pissed.

How about cutting slots in the top blue plastic above each of the 1,2,3 bulbs and inserting a clear or colored etched piece so it almost comes in contact with the bulb under it and have it stick up about a inch or so with the number on it. Being that close to the bulb those numbered etched pieces would act as light pipes and light them up real nice. Just a thought.

#2198 6 years ago

That blue upper is no joke, nice work!!!

Came down to do some laundry, popped it on for a quick game, and set a new record on my machine! ajfclark seriously man, thanks for helping me get the game right!

Quoted from scarybeard:

You know, I’m already picturing what matching pop bumpers might look like ... thoughts???

3FC4CD51-B305-42D7-B279-BFBF76BDE83B (resized).jpeg3FC4CD51-B305-42D7-B279-BFBF76BDE83B (resized).jpeg

#2199 6 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Press and hold the high score reset switch for 5 seconds. It's located on the inside of the coin door.

#2200 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

I'm going to try that first. I should be able to cut some numbered pieces and insert them, though I'm a little worried that will create a 'scratch point' where the ball is going to hit those pieces at a slightly different angle than the rest of the rail, and over time cause damage. There's a few other options though. I could use a thin cover over the whole rail, that has printed or laser etched graphics on it. The original has a printed piece of paper. I want to go more durable than that, I'm imagining a thin 1" strip of clear plastic with a printed graphic on the back side of it, like all the other playfield plastics. It would be pulling the look of the upper playfield more in line with the original artwork on the rest of the machine. I could probably also cut a thin clear to use on the 'top' section with a printed graphic as well. I'll have to draw some concepts.
My other option is to do something new with it. I did a 'stroke' pass on the prototype playfield that etched a 1-2-3 on the surface of the playfield above the switch lanes. Its kinda hard to see in the photos. But I did it to see if the ball direction would be effected by it. I'm going to try cutting those shapes out, then cutting inserts of another color (probably red) and putting them into the playfield so the numbers are visible. Then moving the lights from behind the rails, to underneath the red 1-2-3's.
I did the insert trick on my Ghostbusters airball protector and really like how it turned out. The surface is basically perfectly flat and it has been holding up really well so far:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6C7O6gp9-/?hl=en&taken-by=scarybeardpro

What are you planning to do with the lane divider/lamp shields ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/44?hl=kechlesurf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.